Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

2019 rumors, thoughts, speculation

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby JackGlass on August 27th, 2018, 10:23 am
Since this is almost certainly going to be a roller coaster. What about Hurricane Harbor? Do you think they're done expanding it? Or do you think they'll just eat into the parking lot some more?
JackGlass

Postby IssaCoaster on August 27th, 2018, 10:28 am
JackGlass wrote:Since this is almost certainly going to be a roller coaster. What about Hurricane Harbor? Do you think they're done expanding it? Or do you think they'll just eat into the parking lot some more?

Parking lot seems very likely to me right now.
IssaCoaster

Postby JackGlass on August 27th, 2018, 10:36 am
IssaCoaster wrote:
JackGlass wrote:Since this is almost certainly going to be a roller coaster. What about Hurricane Harbor? Do you think they're done expanding it? Or do you think they'll just eat into the parking lot some more?

Parking lot seems very likely to me right now.

Agreed! I HIGHLY doubt they would remove Viper or Raging Bull to extend the water park, and there seems to be nowhere to go besides the parking lot! Hopefully in the future we'll get a water coaster and maybe one of those King Cobra slides... those things look bad ass, lol
JackGlass

Postby jmanporty7 on August 27th, 2018, 10:48 am
They could also starting removing water slides to add new if they wanted to as well. I'm going to assume there's some slides that aren't as popular as the others.
jmanporty7

Postby IssaCoaster on August 27th, 2018, 10:58 am
jmanporty7 wrote:They could also starting removing water slides to add new if they wanted to as well. I'm going to assume there's some slides that aren't as popular as the others.

When I was there, every slide was full. But the mega wedgie is so painful to ride. It definetly needs some work.
IssaCoaster

Postby JT2002 on August 27th, 2018, 11:29 am
OK, so now Screamscape is saying that Magic Mountain will be getting a dueling RMC Raptor similar to Twisted Colossus but it's a Raptor. I don't think this is totally reliable, but if it's true, I don't think we're getting a similar ride anymore.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 27th, 2018, 11:31 am
gottastrata33 wrote:
Ilovthevu' wrote:I found interesting news out of FIESTA TEXAS. The pr guy confirmed Whirligig (the same one we have) and their Huss Top Spin are closing down. For Whirligig over there, remember they have a Skyscreamer which is also a swing ride.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... pe=3&ifg=1
AND
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... pe=3&ifg=1

Wait what’s interesting about these closures? Are they near one another?

Yes, they are around one another; and that is also one of the first Zierer Wave Swingers I remember a Six Flags or a Cedar Fair park closing. If I were Six Flags, I would give that Zierer Wave Swinger to Great America. Great America's wave swinger is really OLD - 42 years old. That one (from Fiesta Texas) is from 1992. They should switch them out. A 26 year old ride is going to last longer than a 42 year old. Switching the 2 rides should not be that costly, and just makes sense.

With the waterpark, and saying that they wouldn't add anything unless it's in the parking lot, I think they would take out the Mat Racer slide (in the back of the park) for a new addition in another 10 years. lol lol I don't think those drop slides (coffin boxes) are a hit either that the park hoped. Not every water slide in that waterpark is perfect, and not everyone likes every water slide.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby JackGlass on August 27th, 2018, 11:34 am
IssaCoaster wrote:
jmanporty7 wrote:They could also starting removing water slides to add new if they wanted to as well. I'm going to assume there's some slides that aren't as popular as the others.

When I was there, every slide was full. But the mega wedgie is so painful to ride. It definetly needs some work.

Yeah I noticed that too! On busy days all of those slides get long lines! Six Flags has a ton of cash though, they can easily afford to build a small parking garage in the over flow lot if need be. The Village board is going to approve whatever they want. All those wretched old geezers who go to zoning meetings to whine and complain about roller coasters and loud noise have never gotten their way once, lol.
JackGlass

Postby coasterfanatic on August 27th, 2018, 11:54 am
I believe I remember reading that Great America to make sure that X Flight was never cloned. The wing coaster concept never took off as there is still just 3 in the US. X Flight is also the last B&M that Six Flags has bought (since there model for capital investments is cheap, cheap, cheap).

I would not count on the new coaster being $20 million. Great America had a down year in attendance and the company only spends 9-10% of total revenue on capital investments.

Look at the last three years: JLBFM, Joker, Loop (all three rides were relatively cheap and clones).

Yes, our Loop is bigger and so is JL but they are still a ride that can be found at other parks. There is a reason why Six Flags has avoided B&M and Intamin in recent years....because there rides are too expensive.

However, when it comes to coasters, we do tend to get something unique. I'd expect another relatively short launch coaster since the company likes things short and sweet (the shorter the ride, the cheap the cost).

Goliath hasn't been cloned because no other park has gotten a ground up wooden RMC. (Ours is technically still considered wooden since it uses Topper Track and not I-Box)
coasterfanatic

Postby jmanporty7 on August 27th, 2018, 11:59 am
JT2002 wrote:OK, so now Screamscape is saying that Magic Mountain will be getting a dueling RMC Raptor similar to Twisted Colossus but it's a Raptor. I don't think this is totally reliable, but if it's true, I don't think we're getting a similar ride anymore.

He said they will feature launches instead of lifts too...
jmanporty7

Postby B&MGuy35 on August 27th, 2018, 12:02 pm
coasterfanatic wrote:$20 million. Great America had a down year in attendance and the company only spends 9-10% of total revenue on capital investments.

Where are you getting this info? Down in attendance? Every time I’ve been to the park this summer it’s be extremely packed with the back lot being more then half full and even almost completely full a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby JackGlass on August 27th, 2018, 12:02 pm
coasterfanatic wrote:I believe I remember reading that Great America to make sure that X Flight was never cloned. The wing coaster concept never took off as there is still just 3 in the US. X Flight is also the last B&M that Six Flags has bought (since there model for capital investments is cheap, cheap, cheap).

I would not count on the new coaster being $20 million. Great America had a down year in attendance and the company only spends 9-10% of total revenue on capital investments.

Look at the last three years: JLBFM, Joker, Loop (all three rides were relatively cheap and clones).

Yes, our Loop is bigger and so is JL but they are still a ride that can be found at other parks. There is a reason why Six Flags has avoided B&M and Intamin in recent years....because there rides are too expensive.

However, when it comes to coasters, we do tend to get something unique. I'd expect another relatively short launch coaster since the company likes things short and sweet (the shorter the ride, the cheap the cost).

Goliath hasn't been cloned because no other park has gotten a ground up wooden RMC. (Ours is technically still considered wooden since it uses Topper Track and not I-Box)

Agreed! Six Flags is really cheap when it comes to spending and this current "Every park gets something new every year" strategy doesn't help at all. Thank God our park seems to be the winner since the post-bankruptcy strategy took affect! I would not want to be Six Flags St Louis or The Great Escape right now, lol
JackGlass

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 27th, 2018, 12:06 pm
JackGlass wrote:
IssaCoaster wrote:

Yeah I noticed that too! On busy days all of those slides get long lines! Six Flags has a ton of cash though, they can easily afford to build a small parking garage in the over flow lot if need be. The Village board is going to approve whatever they want. All those wretched old geezers who go to zoning meetings to whine and complain about roller coasters and loud noise have never gotten their way once, lol.

The waterpark smaller tube slides are always understaffed. They have 4 slides, and they might have 2 people for all 4, or they have 4 slides (in back of the park), and they have 1 person. You are waiting because they are all understaffed (on PURPOSE) all the time. For Bahama and Mamma & Bubba Tuba, sometimes you are just waiting forever for that tube to go up. They should always run excessive tubes on that (It's 2 slides).

^^I think attendance is down also this year. Of course, I'm not positive, but when I go, it's not that crowded. A 1/2 back parking lot doesn't mean much anymore when they block 1/3 of the front parking lot (for preferred / membership), and you have a TON of empty spaces.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Tardis1972 on August 27th, 2018, 12:13 pm
jmanporty7 wrote:
JT2002 wrote:OK, so now Screamscape is saying that Magic Mountain will be getting a dueling RMC Raptor similar to Twisted Colossus but it's a Raptor. I don't think this is totally reliable, but if it's true, I don't think we're getting a similar ride anymore.

He said they will feature launches instead of lifts too...

I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be true but at the same time I don't see this happening.
Last edited by Tardis1972 on August 27th, 2018, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tardis1972

Postby IssaCoaster on August 27th, 2018, 12:25 pm
coasterfanatic wrote:I believe I remember reading that Great America to make sure that X Flight was never cloned. The wing coaster concept never took off as there is still just 3 in the US. X Flight is also the last B&M that Six Flags has bought (since there model for capital investments is cheap, cheap, cheap).

On the recent report, Six Flags Great America was up 3 percent in attendance from 2016 to 2017 and was the 20th most attended theme park in U.S. You can find the stats on screamscape. I don't have the stats for 2018. Nobody does. But I would expect for the attendance to be the same. I also think that the recent fights in the park are due to more attendance in the park. But we will see.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
IssaCoaster

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 27th, 2018, 12:41 pm
^Sadly, those numbers are off. A podcast I listen to knows about Universal & Disney stuff, and they say they aren't accurate with Disney & Universal- in park magazine. Sure, they might have been up in attendance, but it might not be the amount they say. I really wonder how they come up those numbers as Six Flags does not release park to park numbers. They might say the whole corporation had this many people, but not park to park.
Ilovthevu'

Postby gottastrata33 on August 27th, 2018, 1:11 pm
I still have a gut feeling this is going to be a water park expansion & everyone’s mouths are goin to drop open. Out of three teasers, only one really sounded like a coaster. But I’ve been swept up into all your predictions that I’m actually lost. Maybe I’m not very smart idk lol but I really Don’t wanna be upset in a couple days either.

As for Magic Mountain, I hope That’s what it is so people stop whining about their 20th being a family addition. & if it’s a full circuit, two track dueling coaster it’ll be a longer ride. & that’s incredible when they already have colossus in a world of short coasters lately.
gottastrata33

Postby B&MGuy35 on August 27th, 2018, 1:13 pm
Water Park Expansion here we come!
With a brand new dedicated entrance and gate and inside entrance moved to front of park.

The speed they’re teasing in the videos is how fast you’ll be able to get in now that you don’t have to walk to Southwest Territory!

LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby Mean Streaker on August 27th, 2018, 1:28 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:I still have a gut feeling this is going to be a water park expansion & everyone’s mouths are goin to drop open. Out of three teasers, only one really sounded like a coaster. But I’ve been swept up into all your predictions that I’m actually lost. Maybe I’m not very smart idk lol but I really Don’t wanna be upset in a couple days either.

As for Magic Mountain, I hope That’s what it is so people stop whining about their 20th being a family addition. & if it’s a full circuit, two track dueling coaster it’ll be a longer ride. & that’s incredible when they already have colossus in a world of short coasters lately.

I'm just upset they aren't getting their 20th in 2020. And I'm even more upset Cedar Point won't have 20 for their 150th in 2020.
Mean Streaker

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 27th, 2018, 2:14 pm
^You must be really, really, really upset than since they also took down your ride - Mean Streak.

I will just put this out there. Remember, the detour teaser. Dark Knight has a sign that says Detour with 3 lights lit - 3rd "coaster" in a row, on purpose lit?????

After this new ride is released (teaser over), and you go to the park Saturday, don't say I lied because they turned all the bulbs back on with the Detour sign. I know what I've seen. I'm just saying. I mean, 3 lights lit is kind of pathetic out of how many are on that arrow - 30 maybe, unless it's on purpose.
Ilovthevu'

Postby JackGlass on August 27th, 2018, 2:56 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:^Sadly, those numbers are off. A podcast I listen to knows about Universal & Disney stuff, and they say they aren't accurate with Disney & Universal- in park magazine. Sure, they might have been up in attendance, but it might not be the amount they say. I really wonder how they come up those numbers as Six Flags does not release park to park numbers. They might say the whole corporation had this many people, but not park to park.

It's hard to motivate people to enter the park when your new attractions are Joker and Mardi Gras Hangover, lol. Not that I dislike those rides but.... yeah, they're certainly no Goliath or Raging Bull or Batman, lol

I still hope that they convert Green Lantern at Great Adventure to a floorless and send Bizarro our way. That seems to be the only chance of us getting a large B&M Floorless with this current strategy
JackGlass

Postby IssaCoaster on August 27th, 2018, 3:10 pm
By the way, to enforce the idea of a coaster, the third teaser was posted on National Coaster Day. Coincidence?
IssaCoaster

Postby gottastrata33 on August 27th, 2018, 3:42 pm
Omg you guys.

Cedar point has SEVENTEEEN coasters. SFMM has NINETEEN. You’re upset on what their 20th is gonna be?! Yikes. I’ll frickin take 16, jeez

Third coaster with three detour lights is just whacky but if our park is goin to that great of lengths to drop hints, I applaud all craziness.

With all due respect but I’m sorry I’m about to snap, can we cut the crap wanting a 20yr old coaster?! We were the last park to get a new B&M, who’s to say it’s the last time? But i do know we don’t need a two decade old floorless!

Is this a GD coaster or not. I’m building a time machine to Thursday so we can all debate what we do know - what we’re getting in 2019. Lol gah
gottastrata33

Postby JackGlass on August 27th, 2018, 3:45 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:Omg you guys.

Cedar point has SEVENTEEEN coasters. SFMM has NINETEEN. You’re upset on what their 20th is gonna be?! Yikes. I’ll frickin take 16, jeez

Third coaster with three detour lights is just whacky but if our park is goin to that great of lengths to drop hints, I applaud all craziness.

With all due respect but I’m sorry I’m about to snap, can we cut the crap wanting a 20yr old coaster?! We were the last park to get a new B&M, who’s to say it’s the last time? But i do know we don’t need a two decade old floorless!

Is this a GD coaster or not. I’m building a time machine to Thursday so we can all debate what we do know - what we’re getting in 2019. Lol gah

I know... but Bizarro is so bad ass and Six Flags is cheap as all hell, lol. We're the damn Walmart of Amusement parks, lol Actually the Dollar Tree!
JackGlass

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 27th, 2018, 3:48 pm
^^Debate how many roller coasters Great America really has. Go...

If the park considers American Eagle 2 coasters, than why is American Eagle coaster 1 & 2 not open all the time (You know if it's not mechanical, the main reason why they aren't both open).

I think they are 2 coasters. The park though secretly thinks it's 1 (because the only reason the other one is open is because of capacity), but boasts in their coaster count that it is 2.
________

I will take Bizzaro, Scream!, Medusa! Those are awesome rides. What is wrong with 20 year old rides? I don't care for Millennium Force, but that is a ride that is almost 20 years old (next year it would be 19 years old), and people supposedly love that ride. Kumba is a sit-down, and that is from 1993. You haven't lived until you have ridden Kumba. That is an amazing sit-down roller coaster.
Ilovthevu'

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum