Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

2019 rumors, thoughts, speculation

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby ilrider on August 3rd, 2018, 10:09 am
Goku1910 wrote:
ilrider wrote:^They put a sign about the upcoming meeting outside the park too. I saw it outside the Washington St. entrance before Goliath was announced. I did not notice one Monday when we drove by there.

Really? Got a picture of it? That changes things.... Big time. I'm not sure if you're referring to one you saw in 2013 before Goliath or if you have actually seen one recently.

I was referring to the one I saw back in 2013. Sorry for any confusion. No, I do not have a photo of it, but I remember it clearly. It just announced the date of the meeting and made it clear the park would be involved. There is no sign there now that I am aware of, and I did not see one when we drove by on Washington this week, as I said. I was just adding on to the OP’s statement that any height variances would be addressed at the village meeting before the announcement.
ilrider

Postby Goku1910 on August 3rd, 2018, 10:11 am
.... Or after. Let's not forget that Goliath's meeting actually took place after it was announced.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby ilrider on August 3rd, 2018, 10:20 am
Goku1910 wrote:.... Or after. Let's not forget that Goliath's meeting actually took place after it was announced.

Okay. The sign was up before the announcement though, because I remember getting excited about it. That said, I am not expecting a hyper coaster of any kind. Still thinking coaster though.
Last edited by ilrider on August 3rd, 2018, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ilrider

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 3rd, 2018, 1:23 pm
Goku1910 wrote:
SFGAM_Hog wrote:Would they really start teasers this early for a waterpark addition? The last time it was this early was for Goliath (correct me if I'm wrong) which was a big record breaker ;) the idea of the record shattering at the end of the teaser series is possible.
Even if the Water coaster was 1,000ft like it implies then it would break the record for longest water coaster so.....

It wouldn't be the longest "water coaster", but it could be the longest Rocketblast water coaster. The one at Fiesta Texas is only 942 feet. This means with the 4 "saucers". They look at the 4 drop slide, slides. The Fiesta Texas saucers are black and white / like his trunks. That color up on top of the drop slide tower looks a lot like the Fiesta Texas slide - Thunder Rapids. Reading the Road to Glory thing at the beginning, I see 6 yellow lines. Could a water coaster have 6 uphills instead of the 5 that Fiesta Texas has with Thunder Rapids? You have to do something with another 58 feet - to 1000 feet. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Whatever.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby anewman35 on August 3rd, 2018, 2:09 pm
Goku1910 wrote:.... Or after. Let's not forget that Goliath's meeting actually took place after it was announced.

That's not actually correct, is it?

There was a Planning and Zoning Board meeting 8/21/13.
http://www.gurnee.il.us/government/plan ... s-videos/7

It doesn't have the agenda posted anymore, but the "New for 2014" thread has plenty of stuff from that meeting:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12658&start=1225

The ride was announced on August 29th:
http://investors.sixflags.com/news-and- ... 08-29-2013

I follow this stuff pretty closely, and I can't remember any time Great America has announced a ride before getting proper approval. I believe other Six Flags parks have (and then had to backtrack when it wasn't approved, I'm feel like they started construction on a version of The Dark Knight in New England and then had to tear it down?)

Edit: It's possible the actual Village Board meeting was afterwards. But the Zoning Board meeting, where we'd find out details, has always been before...
anewman35

Postby IssaCoaster on August 3rd, 2018, 2:46 pm
anewman35 wrote:

It doesn't have the agenda posted anymore, but the "New for 2014" thread has plenty of stuff from that meeting:

I follow this stuff pretty closely, and I can't remember any time Great America has announced a ride before getting proper approval. I believe other Six Flags parks have (and then had to backtrack when it wasn't approved, I'm feel like they started construction on a version of The Dark Knight in New England and then had to tear it down?)

Edit: It's possible the actual Village Board meeting was afterwards. But the Zoning Board meeting, where we'd find out details, has always been before...

Even if it wasn't a 200ft tall attraction, I bet it can still be amazing
IssaCoaster

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on August 3rd, 2018, 3:36 pm
S&S launch? Sign me up.
Sucker for a launch | Coaster Count: 502
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on August 3rd, 2018, 3:46 pm
IssaCoaster wrote:
anewman35 wrote:

Even if it wasn't a 200ft tall attraction, I bet it can still be amazing

Well there is some coasters that aren't tall but great rides. If this ride has good elements and a good layout I would bet this could be the best ride in the park.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby RBullFan97 on August 3rd, 2018, 3:48 pm
Whatever it is, I do hope for a dry park addition. While a water coaster would be fun, and I would like to see us get one eventually, I feel like this is not the place to put it. It's been said before but I'll say it again, this is prime real estate for a new roller coaster in the dry park because the park is so landlocked. In the future if they want to add a coaster they're probably going to have to take another ride out. The water park can always be expanded a bit into the parking lot. Put the water coaster where the parking lot is right now, and to make up for lost space build a parking garage in the back.
SFGAm Ride Count 2018: 286
SFGAm Ride Count 2019: 252
SFGAm Ride Count 2020: Well, ya know...
RBullFan97

Postby anewman35 on August 3rd, 2018, 4:02 pm
RBullFan97 wrote:Whatever it is, I do hope for a dry park addition. While a water coaster would be fun, and I would like to see us get one eventually, I feel like this is not the place to put it. It's been said before but I'll say it again, this is prime real estate for a new roller coaster in the dry park because the park is so landlocked. In the future if they want to add a coaster they're probably going to have to take another ride out. The water park can always be expanded a bit into the parking lot. Put the water coaster where the parking lot is right now, and to make up for lost space build a parking garage in the back.

The thing is, even when they don't have to remove an old ride to fit a new ride, they often do (for example, it's really not hard to think of a bunch of places Mardi Gras Hangover could have gone that wouldn't have required removing anything). And the last few coasters removed were removed before they had to be, to go elsewhere. Point being, Six Flags has no real interest in really expanding the number of rides, because expanding the number of rides means more staffing and maintenance. So, yes, the park is a bit landlocked, but if they really had any desire to get a bunch more rides in there there are ways, they just don't care...
anewman35

Postby anewman35 on August 3rd, 2018, 4:09 pm
BTW, if they ever did want to expand the Dry Park (which I don't think they do), they could use the Parking Lot for that, too. Maybe not in as obvious a fashion as they could with the water park, but they could get creative (again, I don't expect that ever to actually happen)
anewman35

Postby JackGlass on August 3rd, 2018, 4:29 pm
anewman35 wrote:BTW, if they ever did want to expand the Dry Park (which I don't think they do), they could use the Parking Lot for that, too. Maybe not in as obvious a fashion as they could with the water park, but they could get creative (again, I don't expect that ever to actually happen)

They could possibly expand into the employee parking lot and the wooded area behind it, but it would be costly. They would have to purchase some more land in order to relocate the current employee parking lot.

I don't see that happening unless ownership of Six Flags changes. I remember when Apollo wanted to purchase Cedar Fair years ago. If soemthing like that happened, I coudl totally see it.
JackGlass

Postby Goku1910 on August 3rd, 2018, 4:31 pm
^And they would have to relocate HR, Storage sheds, greenhouses, and training rooms. That is definitely not happening.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby JackGlass on August 3rd, 2018, 4:49 pm
Goku1910 wrote:^And they would have to relocate HR, Storage sheds, greenhouses, and training rooms. That is definitely not happening.

Exactly! It would cost way too much and too much stuff would have to be relocated. Now that Pictorium is gone, the next attraction that will go is almost certainly Buccaneer Battle. I just never see a line for that thing and it seems like a waste of space.
JackGlass

Postby Goku1910 on August 3rd, 2018, 4:53 pm
Buccaneer Battle was also expensive in terms of it's theming.... Which was well done for Six Flags standards at the time so I don't see it leaving so quickly but I sure hope that BB bites the dust with Demon at the same time. Imagine Demon+Sky Trail+Buccaneer Battle.

I know Demon is worthy of being saved but from a business standpoint its getting more and more difficult to keep that thing going.

Goku1910

Postby JackGlass on August 3rd, 2018, 5:08 pm
It's sad with Buccaneer Battle. Because it's one of the best themed rides at the park, it just never has a line. That was back when Mark Shapiro was trying to make Six Flags more like Disney, and it didn't really work due to the radically different demographics that attend Disney parks and Six Flags parks.

Could they remove and relocate Bucaneer Battle to a different park, without destroying the ride itself? That track looks like its embedded in concrete
JackGlass

Postby bearcub12 on August 3rd, 2018, 5:16 pm
anewman35 wrote:BTW, if they ever did want to expand the Dry Park (which I don't think they do), they could use the Parking Lot for that, too. Maybe not in as obvious a fashion as they could with the water park, but they could get creative (again, I don't expect that ever to actually happen)

I've long thought that it's overdue for them to push the entrance to the park back to that street in between the two parking lots (or at least close to it), and then make the back parking lot two or three parking garages. The only issue that instantly pops to mind is forcing people to cross the street that now has cars driving by, but there are ways around that.
bearcub12

Postby JackGlass on August 3rd, 2018, 6:08 pm
bearcub12 wrote:

I've long thought that it's overdue for them to push the entrance to the park back to that street in between the two parking lots (or at least close to it), and then make the back parking lot two or three parking garages. The only issue that instantly pops to mind is forcing people to cross the street that now has cars driving by, but there are ways around that.

I would love to see them relocate Bizarro from Great Adventure and plop it in the bus parking lot. If it were ever to happen, they would probably have to get rid of the trees in between Superman and the parking lot and run the entrance through Carousel Plaza. Just day dreaming, lol
Attachments
38151528_1877370748953033_528541888081297408_n.jpg
JackGlass

Postby Goku1910 on August 3rd, 2018, 6:09 pm
Terrible idea. That's literally the most important part of the lot.
Goku1910

Postby anewman35 on August 3rd, 2018, 6:14 pm
bearcub12 wrote:

The bigger issue is the vast amount of money it would take to fill in that new area (and the logistics of being able to do all that while still running the park for like 3/4 of the year...)
anewman35

Postby gottastrata33 on August 3rd, 2018, 6:19 pm
Exactly. The buses used to go where HH now is so that lot isn’t moving. Also why would you want a ride that came out the same year as Raging Bull? The last thing we need is another relocated coaster that’s 19yrs old.

If they were to pull a SFOG & use a strip of land there to run out & back into the park, then I wouid Say go for it (obv) but to remove that bus lot would be ludicrous.
gottastrata33

Postby JackGlass on August 3rd, 2018, 6:28 pm
Well they wouldn't remove the bus parking, just relocate it elsewhere in the parking lot. I'd rather have something way better than a 19 year old floorless, but with Six Flags cheap mentality, even Bizarro seems like a stretch.
JackGlass

Postby B&MGuy35 on August 3rd, 2018, 6:57 pm
Bizzaro would never happen. Our coasters are all specifically designed for sound control. All our B&M’s are filled with sand to eliminate the roar they make because of how close we are to residential areas. If anything were to go that close to the subdivision over there then it would be custom most likely so they could control sound. This is also why I don’t think anything extremely tall will ever go where the flumes are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby CoasterNick3157 on August 3rd, 2018, 7:46 pm
^ You sure about that

B&MGuy35 wrote:Bizzaro would never happen. Our coasters are all specifically designed for sound control. All our B&M’s are filled with sand to eliminate the roar they make because of how close we are to residential areas. If anything were to go that close to the subdivision over there then it would be custom most likely so they could control sound. This is also why I don’t think anything extremely tall will ever go where the flumes are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CoasterNick3157

Postby JT2002 on August 3rd, 2018, 8:53 pm
Personally, I believe this has nothing to do with HH and riptide bay is a red herring. What makes most sense to me is that they go through the new attractions that they've added since riptide bay and they will say that this next addition will be their "best yet". The racing ideas definitely seem to indicate that this will be a racing coaster which tell me it will be a rmc t-rex.
The x-flight jumpsuits correlate with the idea that x-flight was added after riptide bay, so the next video will feature x-flight. I still wouldn't be to quick to make any FINAL presumptions, but I hope they come out with the next teaser very soon because I love all the clues they are giving us.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum