Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby ChicagoCoasters on July 3rd, 2018, 10:30 am
Saturday was dead. Waited less than ten minutes combined at JB's and Strutters. We rode Goliath 10 times in under an hour. We walked onto Justice League. Got re-rides on Goliath, Eagle, X-Flight, and Demon.
1.) Steel Vengeance 2.) Maverick 3.) Goliath (SFGAM) 4.) Top Thrill Dragster 5.) Mystic Timbers
Ragin Cajun and Iron Wolf went from Six Flags Great America to Six Flags America. I guess they weren't GREAT anymore.
ChicagoCoasters

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on July 4th, 2018, 11:58 am
Out of curiosity.... This sounds bat s*it crazy.... But would it be possible to convert Raging Bull into a Giga Coaster? Next year is the 20th anniversary, and if the first drop and turn around were removed, would it be possible to add an extra 100 feet to the lift hill and have that thing stretch all the way out to Sky Trek Tower?
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on July 4th, 2018, 12:55 pm
^ What, they can't do that. If so it has to go over Whizzer which might interfere. Yes it may be possible but I don't think that possible.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on July 5th, 2018, 2:47 am
_FuryBull_330_ wrote:^ What, they can't do that. If so it has to go over Whizzer which might interfere. Yes it may be possible but I don't think that possible.

If possible, It would have to go through the trees by Whizzer in order to connect with the original track. But the first drop and turn around would be removed, and the new 300 + foot drop would be followed by several camel backs and turn around by the Sky Trek Tower.

I'm just thinking of that concept video that Six Flags posted regarding Superman at Magic Mountain. Six Flags LOVES big rides and claiming the tallest, fastest, etc. They just don't want to spend the cash building one from the ground up. lol

Just a thought!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q4gj0LrH84
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby SFGAM_Hog on July 5th, 2018, 10:20 am
^ They would never do that. Ever. I don't think any park would make a ride taller, unless its happened before that I don't know of.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby FParker185 on July 5th, 2018, 11:33 pm
Basically every RMC conversion has added height (sometimes significant) to the original ride.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby JaminOut on July 6th, 2018, 12:24 am
Though true, an extension to a B&M I feel may be a more costly transformation and may require reengineering to the existing ride itself.
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby CoasterDemon on July 6th, 2018, 3:41 pm
FParker185 wrote:Basically every RMC conversion has added height (sometimes significant) to the original ride.

Actually, Colossus and Riverside/SFNE Cyclone had a few feet removed from their height.
CoasterDemon

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on July 7th, 2018, 6:28 am
If it were possible and cost effective. A Giga Raging Bull would be one of the best, if not the best, Roller coaster in the world. Easily dominating Millenium Force and creating a huge buzz for Great America.

It's just speculation on my behalf, but you never know with Six Flags, lol
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 7th, 2018, 7:30 pm
The wait times for rides says that for the past 2 days (maybe), that the Lobster, and Triple Play are closed. This is unless no one is updating these rides.

https://queue-times.com/parks/38/queue_times
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby JaminOut on July 8th, 2018, 2:29 pm
Contrary to queue time sites, both Lobster and Triple Play are operational.
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby SaveTheWAVE on July 9th, 2018, 7:53 pm
Just got back from the Park. 10 minute waits for most coasters. Some were walk-ons. MGH was parked upside down for a couple hours earlier today, it eventually opened this afternoon.
SaveTheWAVE

Postby benneluke on July 10th, 2018, 8:51 am
I was there as well. We got in around 6:20 and headed to MGH. One cycle and it went down. We waited thinking it would be a simple reset, but they parked it upside down and gave us skip the line passes.

I'm no mechanic, but it looked like there were issues with some electrical contacts not making a connection. Maintenance was under the ride spraying what looked like contact cleaner. It was back up after maybe another 15 minutes. It seems like they've been having a lot of issues with MGH. Every time Ive tried to ride, its gone down.
What a day! What a place! What a smile on your face!
benneluke

Postby RBullFan97 on July 18th, 2018, 7:40 am
So this has been a gradual occurrence, but the old themed music is slowly starting to pop up at the park again.

As always, Columbia Carousel is playing the carousel music and the Demon has the soundtrack going still, and the Carousel Song plays at the end of the night.

El Mercado (the exit store for Viper) on rare occasions plays the old Southwest Territory music. I worked in retail and we'd often have to turn on the music ourselves, so it's largely at the discretion of the employees.

Last month, the Hometown Square railway station started playing the old Hometown Square music (ragtime and Scott Joplin, that sort of stuff), which I'm very thrilled about. JiggidyNDG posted a video of it here: https://youtu.be/l9tSuXBNrqY.
This music can also be heard in Trudy's Sweet Shoppe.

Most recently, and also most significantly in my opinion, is the section of County Fair around the Games Gallery and American Eagle is playing the old County Fair music (early 20th century popular songs). From what I've heard this started this past weekend. This is big because all the other cases have been confined to buildings or small spaces; this is the first instance where the Marriott music is playing in a large section of the midway.

Hopefully this is a sign that the themed music will be phased back into other parts of the park. The area that needs it the most in my opinion is Carousel Plaza definitely. I'm hoping for the upcoming Mardi Gras Festival they will bring back the Dixieland music to Orleans Place and Mardi Gras (possibly permanently, please :D ).
SFGAm Ride Count 2018: 286
SFGAm Ride Count 2019: 252
SFGAm Ride Count 2020: Well, ya know...
RBullFan97

Postby RBullFan97 on July 18th, 2018, 7:40 am
EDIT: Sorry, accidental triple post.
Last edited by RBullFan97 on July 18th, 2018, 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
RBullFan97

Postby RBullFan97 on July 18th, 2018, 7:41 am
EDIT: Sorry, accidental triple post
Last edited by RBullFan97 on July 18th, 2018, 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
RBullFan97

Postby cliffhanger on July 18th, 2018, 12:52 pm
RBullFan97 wrote:Hopefully this is a sign that the themed music will be phased back into other parts of the park. The area that needs it the most in my opinion is Carousel Plaza definitely. I'm hoping for the upcoming Mardi Gras Festival they will bring back the Dixieland music to Orleans Place and Mardi Gras (possibly permanently, please :D ).

I really hope the background music is coming back. Right now it's FOREGROUND music. Seriously, hearing the same 15 pop songs all day is so annoying. Not to mention not all the songs are appropriate. If you have to mute-censor part of a song, it shouldn't be playing. If they want more modern music, they can still have it themed.Country in SWT, electro-swing in HTS, poppy jazz in OP, etc. I remember a few years back, they were playing newer big band muisc in HTS. Sounded great!
cliffhanger

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on July 18th, 2018, 1:06 pm
^ Oh yeah then I'll be in SWT all day hearing some Blake Shelton and Luke Bryan. As for themed music I like seeing it come back for some Disney vibe knowing I won't go to any Disney Theme Parks anytime soon.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on July 18th, 2018, 1:15 pm
Thank God! Getting rid of the themed music was stupid and pointless. That themed music is a staple of Great America and that pop music sucks.
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby RBullFan97 on July 18th, 2018, 2:46 pm
Not to mention that they even replaced the X-Flight and Goliath station music with pop music. I mean, don't we suffer enough on the midways? Do we really need it in the ride stations too? :lol:
RBullFan97

Postby benneluke on July 18th, 2018, 2:58 pm
I noticed in the outside queue for BTR, they were playing loud pop music alongside the "kids playing" sound effects. I thought for a second it was music from the Batman soundtrack, but I never heard it in this area before.

The pop music in Goliath and X-Flight is strange. I wonder if some wires got crossed or something. I wouldn't have thought those speakers would be connected to the same system for the park music.
benneluke

Postby RBullFan97 on July 18th, 2018, 2:59 pm
I'm pretty sure the music in the BTR outside queue is the same they play in the station.
RBullFan97

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 18th, 2018, 3:13 pm
benneluke wrote:I noticed in the outside queue for BTR, they were playing loud pop music alongside the "kids playing" sound effects. I thought for a second it was music from the Batman soundtrack, but I never heard it in this area before.

The pop music in Goliath and X-Flight is strange. I wonder if some wires got crossed or something. I wouldn't have thought those speakers would be connected to the same system for the park music.

I work in AV and I’m pretty sure the entire park is all connected and they’re able to send whatever they want to wherever they want. Mutuiple input sources and they can direct it to wherever they want it to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 18th, 2018, 4:15 pm
What about the Superman various types of music in that line? They shut off all that music leading to the station. Only the station has the main Superman song over and over again.

They should bring all these back in the Superman line:
"Superman Movie Theme" - John Williams - This is the only one they play in the station.
"Batman Superman Adventures (1997)"
"The New Justice League Theme"
"Lois and Clark (1995)" -Lois and Clark theme
"The Flying Sequence" - John Williams
"The Planet Krypton" - London Symphony Orchestra
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby benneluke on July 18th, 2018, 4:18 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:I work in AV and I’m pretty sure the entire park is all connected and they’re able to send whatever they want to wherever they want.

Cool. I always thought ride music came from a source somewhere near/at the ride. I think that might be the case at Demon though.
benneluke

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum