Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby batmanfan80 on June 3rd, 2018, 7:30 pm
We were there a week ago and today. Parking lot looked almost at Fright Fest levels both times. Last week it was so hot that riding the rides was more exhausting and uncomfortable than anything. But there weren't much of any lines outside of the Water rides and the hangover. This week it was hundreds of people trying to get in around 1 with the security lines not moving, so the wife wanted to leave. When I checked the ride times later, Batman was up at 70 min so it woulda been a waste. Hopefully the crowds get smaller as the summer goes on like last year as 2017 was the first year the crowds were bad in May and June since we've been going. Guess we'll see how stuff goes. The park keeps giving more and more incentive for their very local people to buy passes. If I had spent on one of those Diamond passes, I'd probably feel pretty ripped off if I can't even park and enter in anything resembling a timely fashion.

It's too small of a park to deal with the hordes they insist on attracting. Food lines can be worse than the rides even with all those people tailgating. It'll be interesting to see what they can put in the Pictorum's place. They coulda used the Pictorum to a lot better potential. The park already has a serious lack of variety, but I guess what they mainly care about is adding one thrill ride after another. Catering to the lowest common denominator instead of creating a well-varied experience. Too bad they didn't own some huge piece of nearby land to build an extension on.
batmanfan80

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on June 3rd, 2018, 8:58 pm
Ahh the crowds it hurts. But JL was the only ride that didn't have much of a line that I went on.
How come Lightning Rod is never open when I go.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby cliffhanger on June 3rd, 2018, 9:06 pm
https://youtu.be/53GHj2PL4A4
POV (not mine) of demon with new sounds effects in both the light tunnel and cave. I'll have to check it out for myself this week.
cliffhanger

Postby Lizardgi on June 5th, 2018, 7:04 am
How have the food lines been as of late? My family has not visited since opening weekend and during that time most waits for food was 30-90 minutes.
Lizardgi

Postby UnclePennybags on June 5th, 2018, 8:12 am
Lizardgi wrote:How have the food lines been as of late? My family has not visited since opening weekend and during that time most waits for food was 30-90 minutes.

I went on Wednesday, May 16. The majority of dining spots were closed all day. The Food Court and Maw & Paw's were open for lunch and dinner, so we ate at those two locations. Blue Ribbon Turkey Legs was about a 15 minute wait at 12:00 PM, and Maw & Paw's was about 5 minutes at 4:45 PM (15 minutes before closing).

I saw a big problem with the food service employees not speaking English well enough to get the orders right. At Maw & Paw's, I ordered a "Monster Dog" and "Loaded Fries". The four people behind the counter huddled up to try to figure out what I said. Eventually, the manger showed up and said "hot dog" and something else in Spanish. I got my food quickly after that, but the Loaded Fries were just "Fries" and I had to spend some time to get the order right.

The guy ahead of me ordered five Monster Hot Dogs. While I was eating my food at 5:00 PM, I could hear him explode after they told him they were closing and were out of Monster Dogs. After they had already taken his order, he spent 20 minutes trying to get his order right, then they abruptly closed down at 5:00 PM without delivering his food. That guy was loud.
UnclePennybags

Postby benneluke on June 5th, 2018, 8:42 am
UnclePennybags wrote:I saw a big problem with the food service employees not speaking English well enough to get the orders right.

Let me get this out of the way first. I have absolutely nothing against foreign exchange workers in the park. Its actually cool that our park does this. However, if they can't communicate efficiently, they really shouldn't be taking orders. It isn't all their fault though. If they need support from a supervisor, one should be up front the entire time to help out. If i were in the same situation the hot dog guy was in I would be upset too, but I would just go to guest services not shout at employees.

Side note: Are the turkey legs worth getting? I've always wanted to try one...
What a day! What a place! What a smile on your face!
benneluke

Postby UnclePennybags on June 5th, 2018, 7:21 pm
benneluke wrote:
UnclePennybags wrote:I saw a big problem with the food service employees not speaking English well enough to get the orders right.

Let me get this out of the way first. I have absolutely nothing against foreign exchange workers in the park. Its actually cool that our park does this. However, if they can't communicate efficiently, they really shouldn't be taking orders. It isn't all their fault though. If they need support from a supervisor, one should be up front the entire time to help out. If i were in the same situation the hot dog guy was in I would be upset too, but I would just go to guest services not shout at employees.

Side note: Are the turkey legs worth getting? I've always wanted to try one...

When I was leaving the park, I saw the guy up front by Guest Relations. I feel bad for him, and I feel bad for the employees. I'm typically happier when everyone else is happy.

The turkey legs were good. A lot moister than I thought they'd be. They have a *really* strong smoked flavor, almost like bacon, so I wonder if they're first smoked, then "barbecued". For the $2 upcharge, it was worth doing once, but I'll probably not do it again any time soon.
UnclePennybags

Postby cliffhanger on June 6th, 2018, 8:08 pm
One train car has a new metal roof. It might have been that way last year, I don't remember for sure
cliffhanger

Postby SFGAM_Hog on June 8th, 2018, 9:30 pm
Forgot to mention, but Viper was closed all day yesterday.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on June 9th, 2018, 12:05 am
Nope, they opened it with 2 hours left. I was one of the first riders at like 6 pm lol.

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Coaster Justin on June 9th, 2018, 2:15 am
Lizardgi wrote:How have the food lines been as of late? My family has not visited since opening weekend and during that time most waits for food was 30-90 minutes.

Big Lou's & Maw and Paw's tend to move the fastest.
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby Coaster Justin on June 9th, 2018, 2:22 am
benneluke wrote:

From what I've heard from an employee and experienced personally, There is one group of Internationals from a country that is very loyal to the park and if you say one mean thing about the park/food, They will take it as being offensive.-- Yes this happened to me.*

* I was talking about how it was odd that Macho Nacho didn't sell Nachos (Maybe they should have called it Seis Flags? No offense) and a Cheeseburger with Lettuce isn't a Cheeseburger Taco.

Coaster Justin

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on June 9th, 2018, 11:25 am
^ Well the US has been trying to recreate tacos for the past years. Too bad they can never recreate the flavor of the tacos in Mexico or else I would have been fat :lol:
_FuryBull_330_

Postby X-Flight2012 on June 9th, 2018, 11:34 am
Sorry this is kind of random but...

At Coasters After Dark, do employees scan season passes at every ride, or do they just check to make sure you have them?
X-Flight2012

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on June 9th, 2018, 11:54 am
Just a check.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Lizardgi on June 9th, 2018, 6:19 pm
Someone posted on a Facebook fan page that SFGAm removed the time restriction on the dining plans to help take pressure off of packed dining times, any truth to this?
Lizardgi

Postby JaminOut on June 9th, 2018, 6:22 pm
How crowded do Coasters after Dark tend to get? Looking into going to the June 15th one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on June 10th, 2018, 12:50 am
Dining pass times are still on afaik.

The CAD event is usually more crowded than the actual operating day it takes place.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Coaster Justin on June 10th, 2018, 3:54 am
Lizardgi wrote:Someone posted on a Facebook fan page that SFGAm removed the time restriction on the dining plans to help take pressure off of packed dining times, any truth to this?

That would be awesome if they did.

Coaster Justin

Postby Lizardgi on June 10th, 2018, 2:20 pm
Cloudy today but everything open and tons of near walk ons. Currently waiting one train for front of Viper. Only 5 people in station when we got in. Golaith single rider you don't stop moving until on ride
Lizardgi

Postby Lizardgi on June 10th, 2018, 2:31 pm
Cloudy today but everything open and tons of near walk ons. Currently waiting one train for front of Viper. Only 5 people in station when we got in. Golaith single rider you don't stop moving until on ride
Lizardgi

Postby RollingCoasting on June 11th, 2018, 6:12 pm
So Dameon Nelson is no longer at the park....

https://www.linkedin.com/in/dameon-nelson-a986898
RollingCoasting

Postby AirTimeDaz on June 11th, 2018, 8:09 pm
RollingCoasting wrote:So Dameon Nelson is no longer at the park....

https://www.linkedin.com/in/dameon-nelson-a986898

Shut the front door! He was one of the last brave guardians of demon...
AirTimeDaz

Postby SFGAM_Hog on June 11th, 2018, 9:43 pm
Demon now has a higher chance of leaving! Hmm.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby JaminOut on June 12th, 2018, 12:02 am
I SWEAR TO GOD IF DEMON COMES DOWN IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF YEARS I AM MOVING CLOSER TO CEDAR POINT.

(Probably not, but they did rip Orbit and King Chaos away from me in the PAST TWO YEARS)...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum