Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby B&MGuy35 on May 22nd, 2018, 1:26 pm
coasterfanatic wrote:Whizzer will definitely run three trains when needed.

I don't believe they run three trains on Demon. The third train does not really increase capacity of the ride. Due to relatively short nature of the other ride, a train is always stacked in the break run.

It's not necessary to run three trains on Whizzer right now.

I’m sure many of you don’t remember but when it first opened with the park, at peak times it would run 5 trains until 1980 when someone was killed on the California one and everything changed as a result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on May 22nd, 2018, 1:59 pm
^ But nothing does not allow it to have three trains right. But then again adding more trains= more money so maybe that's why Six Flags doesn't want to. That or they are adding the third train during the summer.
How come Lightning Rod is never open when I go.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby Lizardgi on May 22nd, 2018, 2:50 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:
I’m sure many of you don’t remember but when it first opened with the park, at peak times it would run 5 trains until 1980 when someone was killed on the California one and everything changed as a result.

I would love to experience Whizzer at opening. 5 trains, no seatbelts. I assume the train would stop and people would just jump on and go. Capacity would have been pretty awesome with trains flying around everywhere.
Lizardgi

Postby B&MGuy35 on May 22nd, 2018, 4:14 pm
Lizardgi wrote:
B&MGuy35 wrote:

I would love to experience Whizzer at opening. 5 trains, no seatbelts. I assume the train would stop and people would just jump on and go. Capacity would have been pretty awesome with trains flying around everywhere.

Exactly! Without no seatbelts there was no need to check train. So people would just jump on and it would leave the station. There would usually be 3 trains on course at a time with 2 in station.

I remember riding it and going up lift and a train coming by on the turn around on the lift.

B&MGuy35

Postby benneluke on May 22nd, 2018, 5:21 pm
What a day! What a place! What a smile on your face!
benneluke

Postby Wisco Woody on May 23rd, 2018, 5:07 am
benneluke wrote:Magic Show in the GMH this year!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

This sounds like it will be a very good multifaceted show. Combining Magic, Steampunk theming, and rock music/dancing should make Rocklusions stand out much like Ringmaster's Cabaret did from the same producer. In the absence of a dedicated stunt show, a themed magic show is probably the best entertainment offering we could have outside of Fright Fest, and hopefully the cast, likely the same troupe from the Cabaret, does as well or even better this season working with the same producer.
Wisco Woody

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on May 23rd, 2018, 7:19 am
Wisco Woody wrote:
benneluke wrote:Magic Show in the GMH this year!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

This sounds like it will be a very good multifaceted show. Combining Magic, Steampunk theming, and rock music/dancing should make Rocklusions stand out much like Ringmaster's Cabaret did from the same producer. In the absence of a dedicated stunt show, a themed magic show is probably the best entertainment offering we could have outside of Fright Fest, and hopefully the cast, likely the same troupe from the Cabaret, does as well or even better this season working with the same producer.

I just hope it's a good magic show. But compared to the Susan Rosen mind trick show I think it would be better.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby benneluke on May 23rd, 2018, 8:58 am
Wisco Woody wrote:Combining Magic, Steampunk theming, and rock music/dancing should make Rocklusions stand out much like Ringmaster's Cabaret did from the same producer.

Ringmaster's Caberet was the best original show the park has produced in the past 4 years. It will be great to see something totally new this year that's not a dance party or the Peking Acrobats.
benneluke

Postby Ilovthevu' on May 23rd, 2018, 12:02 pm
On Tuesday, it was UTTER CHAOS getting into this park. Who in the world runs this park? It's ABSURD! This parks need NEW management.
Not an actual picture, but it was ALMOST this bad:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 015-12.jpg
I'm not kidding. I'm not joking. A massive amount of people piling into every tiny space available.

I wish the media was outside the park to document this travesty. This is what happens when you don't open the gates 30 minutes to 1 hour prior. A MASSIVE backup of large amounts of people, and Tuesday was just UTTER CHAOS.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby CoasterDemon on May 23rd, 2018, 12:26 pm
Lizardgi wrote:I would love to experience Whizzer at opening. 5 trains, no seatbelts. I assume the train would stop and people would just jump on and go. Capacity would have been pretty awesome with trains flying around everywhere.

AND no pesky air gates. Yes, it was good times. The entire under-station queue would be spilling out and it was still only 20 minutes. It was cool to ride with your friends back then... you could ride 3 in a seat if you could fit. For Demon - when a train hit the first loop, the next train would already be going up the bottom of the lift. When Eagle was "new" (81-84), there was always a set of trains on the lift. Simple times.

Impressive many small parks can still dispatch their rides so fast; Six Flags dropped the ball in the 80s, hate to say.
CoasterDemon

Postby benneluke on May 23rd, 2018, 1:09 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:This is what happens when you don't open the gates 30 minutes to 1 hour prior. A MASSIVE backup of large amounts of people, and Tuesday was just UTTER CHAOS.

Opening the gates 30 minutes earlier would no nothing but move the crowd into Carousel Plaza. If they open earlier than the posted time, it will make no difference. Its basically just moving the park opening time up 30 minutes. Now if your issue is the parking lot, that would make a difference traffic-wise. But they already open the lots earlier than park opening. I do think they need to organize the ticket lines after security though. Its hard to know which line you are actually in.
benneluke

Postby great america fan on May 24th, 2018, 6:33 pm
great america fan

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on May 25th, 2018, 7:47 am
great america fan wrote:https://feedback.sixflags.com/advisorypanel/startsurvey.aspx?s=ridename2018&cid=y
New Survey.

The survey is basically asking you what names of rides are suitable for a genre: Speed, Airtime, Height.

_FuryBull_330_

Postby AirTimeDaz on May 25th, 2018, 11:07 am
great america fan wrote:https://feedback.sixflags.com/advisorypanel/startsurvey.aspx?s=ridename2018&cid=y
New Survey.

Thanks for the link! I noticed they have the name "Speed Demons" as an option quite a few times, which incidentally was a name I posted here a few years ago for if they ever decided to take my advice and re-imagine Demon by building a Maverick style launch coaster in it's place and call it "Speed Demon" :twisted: Maverick is not very tall (like demon) it has a tunnel (like demon) it has rock work (like demon) and uh.. yea i think that's about where the comparisons end :wink:

My second choice (since an intamin blitz is a looong shot) would be to replace it with a chance GT-X (lightning run) the track looks a lot like a classic arrow and the rider reviews have been pretty great.
AirTimeDaz

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on May 26th, 2018, 12:02 pm
it said something like dive in the survey which means it can refer to a dive coaster since it references to the dry park.

_FuryBull_330_

Postby RollingCoasting on May 26th, 2018, 11:55 pm
Bull is now running three trains and Scenic Railway is open for the season
RollingCoasting

Postby CoasterDemon on May 27th, 2018, 12:46 pm
I forgot tomorrow is a holiday... is today (Sunday) AND Monday crowded? Anyone remember?
CoasterDemon

Postby ilrider on May 27th, 2018, 2:32 pm
CoasterDemon wrote:I forgot tomorrow is a holiday... is today (Sunday) AND Monday crowded? Anyone remember?

Memorial Day is insanely crowded if the weather is nice. Made that make mistake once. Never again.
ilrider

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on May 28th, 2018, 9:56 am
AirTimeDaz wrote:
New Survey.

Thanks for the link! I noticed they have the name "Speed Demons" as an option quite a few times, which incidentally was a name I posted here a few years ago for if they ever decided to take my advice and re-imagine Demon by building a Maverick style launch coaster in it's place and call it "Speed Demon" :twisted: Maverick is not very tall (like demon) it has a tunnel (like demon) it has rock work (like demon) and uh.. yea i think that's about where the comparisons end :wink:

My second choice (since an intamin blitz is a looong shot) would be to replace it with a chance GT-X (lightning run) the track looks a lot like a classic arrow and the rider reviews have been pretty great.

You forgot one similarity. They both make you black out :lol:
_FuryBull_330_

Postby AirTimeDaz on May 28th, 2018, 11:09 pm
_FuryBull_330_ wrote:
AirTimeDaz wrote:
New Survey.

You forgot one similarity. They both make you black out :lol:

well played, sir or ma'am! :lol:
AirTimeDaz

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on May 29th, 2018, 7:22 am
^ I'm a "sir". Also now that they said something like dueling racers maybe that's for a dueling coaster.

_FuryBull_330_

Postby cliffhanger on June 2nd, 2018, 3:48 pm
Demon now has sound effects in the cave. We were walking by when it went off. I made my friend wait for the next train to make sure I wasn't crazy. There's a Vincent Price style laugh that goes off. This was an original effect that has been missing for decades!
cliffhanger

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on June 2nd, 2018, 4:07 pm
I noticed it on May 19 during my field trip. Must have forgot to mention it. So if this means they brought back the sound effects does that mean that they might bring more effects back to our rides.

_FuryBull_330_

Postby SFGAM_Hog on June 2nd, 2018, 7:12 pm
In Mardi Gras, they're advertising for "Voodoo Nights". It must have something to do with the parade.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby Zod on June 2nd, 2018, 11:51 pm
I was there Memorial Day and again today. I think today was worse for crowds. Looked like more school groups were there. Something in picnic grove.

Both magic shows are great. Definitely see Rockillusions while Jason Hudy is here. He is good.
Zod

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum