Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Mardi Gras Hangover Discussion Thread

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby RollingCoasting on August 31st, 2017, 2:59 am
Post anything related to Mardi Gras Hangover in this topic!

Personally, I'm really excited for it. I enjoyed Fireball at Six Flags St. Louis and I know this will be even better. :D

Edit: Title changed
Last edited by RollingCoasting on August 31st, 2017, 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
RollingCoasting

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on August 31st, 2017, 3:09 am
It's name is probably Hurricane Force 5, but for the time being... They're just not saying it. I'll just call it Power Dive 2.0 for now, lol
Attachments
21106603_10154717758991356_2384387714260760439_n.jpg
Nothing to see here....
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby Whizzer Whiz Kid on August 31st, 2017, 3:10 am
I think that the no name proves that it is Hurricane Force 5.
Favorite @ SFGAm - Eagle ~ Favorite Steel - Skyrush ~ Favorite Wood - El Toro
35 Rides on Eagle in 2015
68 Rides on Eagle in 2016
102 Rides on Eagle in 2017
9 Rides on Eagle in 2018
Whizzer Whiz Kid

Postby RollingCoasting on August 31st, 2017, 3:10 am
Wondering if Harvey has anything to do with the name not being announced
RollingCoasting

Postby SFGAmFan12 on August 31st, 2017, 3:10 am
This is the Fireball from area fairs thats taller, costs $65.99 to ride (season pass flash sale price), and will have an hour plus ride wait time. Pass.
SFGAmFan12

Postby SFGAmFan12 on August 31st, 2017, 3:12 am
Whizzer Whiz Kid wrote:I think that the no name proves that it is Hurricane Force 5.

And the tornadoes in the pictures background.
SFGAmFan12

Postby RollingCoasting on August 31st, 2017, 3:17 am
From the Tribune:

100-foot loop coaster dubbed as a "world-record breaking attraction" in an early-Thursday announcement by officials at Six Flags Great America is scheduled to open for the 2018 season at the Gurnee theme park.

"Six Flags Great America, the Thrill Capital of the Midwest, has an announcement of epic proportions," park officials said in a statement released at 3 a.m. "Coming in 2018 is the world's largest loop coaster. This world-record breaking attraction will take riders forward and backward on a gigantic loop before suspending them completely upside down for plenty of wicked hang-time."

According to information included in the statement, the ride — currently without a name — will be situated in the Mardi Gras section of the park, where a tumbling platform ride called King Chaos was removed from the Great America roster on Aug. 27. Upon completion, it will be Great America's 16th coaster.

The ride specifications tout it at the "world's largest coaster of its kind" with 360-degree revolutions with multiple inversions; 32 seats with guests seated back-to-back and face-to-face; and inverted hang-time for riders, suspending them upside down for extended times.

"Six Flags continues to prove that innovation is in our DNA and we are thrilled to introduce yet another world-record breaking coaster to our impressive arsenal of thrill rides," park president Hank Salemi said in a statement. "Standing at 100 feet tall, this is an experience our guests cannot get anywhere else on the planet. With the multiple inversions and record hang-time, this new coaster packs a punch and is going to be one of our most intense attractions."

The statement added that the ride "will be named soon" and is set to open in spring of 2018.
RollingCoasting

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on August 31st, 2017, 3:31 am
Hopefully they just name it Bourbon Street Fireball.
Attachments
bourbonstreetfireballlogo.jpg
Nothing to see here....
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby Whizzer Whiz Kid on August 31st, 2017, 3:32 am

Looks like they forgot to take this one off. They better wait until Harvey is long gone.
https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/news-room
Favorite @ SFGAm - Eagle ~ Favorite Steel - Skyrush ~ Favorite Wood - El Toro
35 Rides on Eagle in 2015
68 Rides on Eagle in 2016
102 Rides on Eagle in 2017
9 Rides on Eagle in 2018
Whizzer Whiz Kid

Postby RollingCoasting on August 31st, 2017, 3:36 am
Nice catch! Glad they dropped the 5, name actually sounds really cool now
RollingCoasting

Postby great america fan on August 31st, 2017, 3:58 am
I'm a little bit annoyed that do not releasing the name just because of Harvey. Six Flags St. Louis is getting a typhoon (typhoon=hurricane just in Asia) themed attraction and one of the worst typhoons ever just hit the Hong Kong area where my cousin is teaching, he said the high rise he was in was shaking. On a side note I do really like the name hurricane force
Last edited by great america fan on August 31st, 2017, 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
great america fan

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on August 31st, 2017, 4:05 am
Since this thing is essentially a hybrid between Tidal Wave and Power Dive... They could always call it Tidal Dive or Power Wave, lol
Nothing to see here....
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby anewman35 on August 31st, 2017, 4:41 am
So I guess if not for Harvey, they really WERE stupid enough to put a "Hurricane" ride in Mardi Gras. I know some people think they're just waiting to announce it until more past Harvey, but I think it may be a LONG time until we're past Harvey. I'll be very surprised if this ride ends up being called "Hurricane Force" (because it wasn't a good idea to begin with if they'd really thought about it).

Other thoughts:
I hope people can get over the "Coaster" part of it and don't complain all the time. You can call it what you like, and so can the park, it doesn't change what it is.

I find it interesting that Screamscape was dead on with the ride, but that the other part (Hurricane Harbor becoming it's own park) didn't happen at all. Maybe something to look for in the future? It probably didn't come from nowhere.

Has anybody seen any renderings or what this will look like? Maybe not since they haven't even announced the name? It seems fairly obvious what it will look like and where it will be located, but it's still nice to see it... (EDIT: There's a link for Renders in the press release, but it doesn't work. Probably waiting for the name...)

Nothing about us getting Holiday In The Park :(

Ok, back to bed.
anewman35

Postby Viper 88 on August 31st, 2017, 5:18 am
Why do we keep getting crappy carnival rides. Leader in innovation? Being innovative is having the same ride at multiple parks just a taller version? I would rather have had the Wonder Woman coaster. Just meh for the cycle that always operated on KC that was more thrilling. A turbillion would have almost been better. Jesters Wilder Ride, but with joker next to it that would have inevitably caused confusion. Well since 2018 is a bust i'm saying Pictorium removal and Aquaman water coaster accessible from both dry and wet parks in 2019.
Viper 88

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on August 31st, 2017, 5:27 am
There's really no surprise here. One of the things that stood out to me is that it goes upside down 6 times, isn't the normal super loop 10 times? Thought I heard that somewhere. Hope it has a cool light package.
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby SFGAM_Hog on August 31st, 2017, 5:33 am
Oh my goodness people! Who cares if they called it a coaster?! Is that gonna kill you? It's a great addition in my eyes. Just be glad it isn't a standard sized one. Please, stop complaining. Some parks haven't gotten a good line up like we have in the past years. No one cares that you don't like its called a coaster.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on August 31st, 2017, 5:36 am
SFGAM_Hog wrote:Oh my goodness people! Who cares if they called it a coaster?! Is that gonna kill you? It's a great addition in my eyes. Just be glad it isn't a standard sized one. Please, stop complaining. Some parks haven't gotten a good line up like we have in the past years. No one cares that you don't like its called a coaster.

Agreed! I think this is a really cool addition, and it's alot better than getting a new show or a parade.
Nothing to see here....
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby SFGAM_Hog on August 31st, 2017, 5:37 am
^ at least we didn't get a water slide or lazy river like St Louis and America.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby CoasterDave316 on August 31st, 2017, 5:49 am
anewman35 wrote:So I guess if not for Harvey, they really WERE stupid enough to put a "Hurricane" ride in Mardi Gras. I know some people think they're just waiting to announce it until more past Harvey, but I think it may be a LONG time until we're past Harvey. I'll be very surprised if this ride ends up being called "Hurricane Force" (because it wasn't a good idea to begin with if they'd really thought about it).

I can't believe they would ever consider putting a hurricane themed ride in the Mardi gras section after Hurricane Katrina. Regardless of the bad timing with Harvey, it shouldn't have happened in the first place. I'm not sure why they just don't use the Bourbon Street fireball name.
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on August 31st, 2017, 6:25 am
^ Maybe because Bourbon Street is a place that traumatizes kids, like me and my sister lmao
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby stergmi on August 31st, 2017, 6:32 am
Viper 88 wrote:Why do we keep getting crappy carnival rides. Leader in innovation? Being innovative is having the same ride at multiple parks just a taller version? I would rather have had the Wonder Woman coaster. Just meh for the cycle that always operated on KC that was more thrilling. A turbillion would have almost been better. Jesters Wilder Ride, but with joker next to it that would have inevitably caused confusion. Well since 2018 is a bust i'm saying Pictorium removal and Aquaman water coaster accessible from both dry and wet parks in 2019.

Clone rides are common in the amusement park industry. Every chain even Disney and Universal puts the same things in their parks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stergmi

Postby WolfsterJ on August 31st, 2017, 6:33 am
Hm. I don't know whether to be surprised or not, but here we are. Did i want a super loop? Nah, those things are at fairs and such. But I'd like to compare this addition to what SFOT and SFNE got, since they also got joker clones this year.

SFOT: Tourbillion. I feel like a Tourbillion would be a better fit in thr king chaos spot, since it's basically KC 2.0.

SFNE: Giant Discovery. This is what I would have perferred. It's tall, fast, and a heck of a lot of fun.

SFGAm: "Worlds Tallest" super loop.

The pattern here is that all the parks that got joker last year, got one "major" flat ride. Yes, we were one of the only parks to not have a super loop before, but I feel like raising the height 27 feet isn't gonna change the ride experience from one I can find at SFStl. I can pretty much say 2 things about it.

1. It's better than 2015...

2. After two big investment years, I should have expected something small.
WolfsterJ

Postby MrsTaxi on August 31st, 2017, 6:41 am
It's not a coaster! Okay, I've got that out of my system. We needed new flats and got one. That's a win.
MrsTaxi

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 31st, 2017, 6:51 am
They shouldn't name it Fireball because a ride named Fireball injured people in Ohio, and people remember that because it was national news, even though it was a different ride completely.

I don't know why they should not announce the name Hurricane something. They have waterparks called Hurricane Harbors. Now, since a Hurricane obliterates things, they don't want to seem insensitive? I thought disaster ride names are what they like. They have the new cyclone at Over Georgia. Typhoon is at St. Louis. More obliteration, but now all of a sudden disasters aren't fun / entertainment? To me, no disaster in a name should be at place you have FUN / entertaining. Real disasters are horrific. I can't believe any amusement park would continue to this day to name things that are supposed to be FUN after disasters. Disasters = LOSS of many Lives or Injuries / Houses destroyed (towns destroyed). NOT fun at all.

The ride is YAWN. Won't ride it, but will still visit the park riding other rides. Ride will probably last 10 years. :lol:

The most exciting ride for me for was from the Great Escape:
Chance Freestyle (That looks awesome!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKtPUK4FR58

I can't believe they get that awesome ride, and Six Flags doesn't think of them as nothing special.

They also have this Supernova which again looks like an awesome ride.
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on August 31st, 2017, 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby rb1 on August 31st, 2017, 6:52 am
Kinda disappointing but I was kinda expecting it. Not any of the parks got any majorly huge record breaking coasters or anything like CF parks did. Cedar fair parks 2018 seems to be adding better attractions every year than SF what happen to the thrill park capital of the world it went to cf.
rb1

Next

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum