Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

2018 rumors, thoughts and speculation

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 6th, 2017, 9:13 pm
I actually really like GD. Incredibly well themed for Six Flags, very good air, and short lines! Sure it could use paint, but it rides really well.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby batmanfan80 on July 6th, 2017, 10:42 pm
Doesn't look like there's a lot they can do without getting rid of something. I wouldn't mind if they moved half the park to Six Flags America if we could get an improved take on the B&M sitdown design with 7-10 inversions and some other creative elements. They don't need all that parking. The park can't handle the crowds brought in with a full lot anyway. Use the lot for rides and double the season pass prices. They could always buy up some land somewhere to use as a parking lot and run a tram like Busch Gardens does. I'm assuming there's an open field or something within a mile of the park.

More than likely they've realized they can put pretty much anything in and as long as it's new and hyped correctly, it will draw more people to the park. So look for more small rides. Right now their whole business model is built on baiting the average person into visiting to see the new ride. We all know that's not sustainable unless they start removing things.

They could remove and replace Demon, Eagle, Dark Knight, etc, but once the novelty wears off they're right back at square one. Something like Raging could be a major boost to one of the smaller parks that doesn't have a big coaster. It wouldn't surprise me to see them move the newer stuff instead of the older stuff. Can't move Whizzer and Batman since they are historical ACE coasters now. A lot of people don't want the park to change much. There's plenty who long for the Marriott Days. Raging and Pretzelman are still big draws, so, they would need to replace them with even bigger draws. Dark Knight supposedly has long lines still, but I went on it once 5 years ago and never had the urge to ride it again, so I can't vouch for its crowds.

If it were feasible, Six Flags would probably rotate rides between its parks every year.

How has the VR held up as a draw? I checked SeaWorld's ride times the other day. Mako-walk up, Manta-Walk up, Kraken with VR 300 minutes. Maybe all the Brazilians who go to Orlando haven't heard that the VR isn't all that special? Could be that the VR just creates majorly inefficient wait times everywhere like on Shockwave at Six Flags Over Texas last year. Turned a 15 min wait into a 90 min one.
batmanfan80

Postby RollingCoasting on July 6th, 2017, 11:25 pm
batmanfan80 wrote: Can't move Whizzer and Batman since they are historical ACE coasters now.

I'm assuming this isn't sarcasm, but the plaque really doesn't mean anything. A few coasters that have it are SBNO or have been relocated.

Also VR's been gone for over a month, but it seemed fairly popular.
RollingCoasting

Postby gottastrata33 on July 7th, 2017, 7:04 am
I really don't understand why I have to repeat this let alone why more parks don't get it either - you can add things without removing another. Parks do it all the time, it's just about being creative. My issue is we need to keep all we have & add more! Crowds are insane here & people needs to be dispersed throughout the park. Removing a coaster to add a coaster isn't helping, especially when it's low capacity. But adding a coaster on top of what we already have will help. A bit.
gottastrata33

Postby staticshadows on July 7th, 2017, 10:00 am
Edit: Removed from forum.
Last edited by staticshadows on July 8th, 2017, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staticshadows

Postby anewman35 on July 7th, 2017, 11:22 am
gottastrata33 wrote:I really don't understand why I have to repeat this let alone why more parks don't get it either - you can add things without removing another. Parks do it all the time, it's just about being creative. My issue is we need to keep all we have & add more! Crowds are insane here & people needs to be dispersed throughout the park. Removing a coaster to add a coaster isn't helping, especially when it's low capacity. But adding a coaster on top of what we already have will help. A bit.

The issue is, what we "need" as people who attend the park is very different from what the park "needs" to make money. I don't think the park really cares about overcrowding. They make their money fine as it is, and more rides would mean more employees and more maintenance costs. in my opinion, the reason rides tend to be "one in, one out" isn't just space, it's so they don't increase operating costs too much...
anewman35

Postby gottastrata33 on July 7th, 2017, 11:26 am
CF isn't into cloning? A skywarp is a at ride. Every CF park has clones of their flats. They're just a lot better at pushing unique major attractions into their parks like Fury, Banshee, Dragster, Valravn, hydra etc etc. (more so than we are, not that we don't). But look any any addition they receive that is not a stand out coaster - it's the exact same slide complex, wind seeker, or mega disko to name a couple.
gottastrata33

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 7th, 2017, 11:38 am
I actually don't think SF is going to be the first to get a Skywarp. From their press release...

Skyline Attractions Sells First Skywarp

Scheduled to be Open 2018

Orlando, FL, USA (July 1, 2017) – Skyline Attractions has altered the landscape of thrill rides with its latest scream maker- Skywarp. As part of the company’s third anniversary Skyline is excited to announce the sale of their first of many Skywarps, which will make its public debut in the summer of 2018. This exciting experience offers 32 passengers a unique journey as they board the competing ride vehicles. The train begins rocking back and forth, building up to full speed before completing several thrilling forward and reverse rotations through the twin Immelmann inversions.

The unique concept was first shown to the world at the 2016 IAAPA Attractions Expo in Orlando, Florida. This annual event is the world’s largest showcase rides and the Skywarp was one of the most unique concepts displayed. This innovative attraction combines the speed, inversions, and capacity of a big coaster with a fraction of the necessary investment needed. The clever design of Skywarp allows it to deliver the thrills a modern rider expects, with the reliability, ease of maintenance and ultra-compact footprint that fits in nearly any park.

"Skywarp has everything that operators of all sizes desire: Big impact, big thrills, big visibility, and big capacity with a small footprint and a small price," said Evan Souliere, founding partner of Skyline Attractions.

The small 120 foot by 30 foot footprint allows for the placement of the attraction in nearly any location, and topping out at 62 feet in height it can even fit in many indoor locations.

“The flexibility of Skywarp, combined with the excitement it delivers to guests, makes it a great addition to any park. We are thrilled to be placing the first of what we believe will be many Skywarp attractions,” commented Chris Gray, Vice President at Skyline Attractions. “Stop by and see us at booth 5808 at the 2017 IAAPA Attractions Expo as we unveil where the first Skywarp will be taking guests on a wild ride,” he continued.
Ride Entertainment is the sales partner for Skyline Attractions.

Ride Stats.
Height: 62 feet (19 meters)
Footprint: 120 feet X 30 feet (37m X 9m)
Track Length: 360 feet (110 m)
Instant Capacity: 32
Hourly Capacity: 800 pph

The bolded part shows that they're going to announce the first Skywarp at IAAPA, which is in November. Considering that Six Flags announces their attractions 2-3 months earlier, it wouldn't make sense to announce a Skywarp, only for the same announcement 3 months later. I do see Six Flags adding them in the future, but I'm not completely sold on a 2018 opening.

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 7th, 2017, 1:38 pm
batmanfan80 wrote:They could remove and replace Demon, Eagle, Dark Knight, etc, but once the novelty wears off they're right back at square one. Something like Raging could be a major boost to one of the smaller parks that doesn't have a big coaster. It wouldn't surprise me to see them move the newer stuff instead of the older stuff. Can't move Whizzer and Batman since they are historical ACE coasters now. A lot of people don't want the park to change much. There's plenty who long for the Marriott Days. Raging and Pretzelman are still big draws, so, they would need to replace them with even bigger draws. Dark Knight supposedly has long lines still, but I went on it once 5 years ago and never had the urge to ride it again, so I can't vouch for its crowds.

I don't understand why you think they should remove Dark Knight?? It fills 2 niches: family coaster and dark ride. It always has a line, and frequently the wait is 30+ minutes. And that's due to demand, not slow operations!

Also, Eagle isn't going anywhere (at least for the next 5 years) since they just repainted it.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby jmanporty7 on July 11th, 2017, 9:30 am
Something I would like to see is a Gotham Harbor makeover for 2018. V2 might be closing this year to be sent to Six Flags (Causal) America. Something we could see is a Zamperla Giant Discovery called Riddler’s Revenge. We could also see a Larson Tilt-A-Whirl called Harley Quinn Spinsanity replacing Whirligig, which would be moved to Revolution’s spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jmanporty7

Postby cliffhanger on July 11th, 2017, 2:18 pm
jmanporty7 wrote:Something I would like to see is a Gotham Harbor makeover for 2018. V2 might be closing this year to be sent to Six Flags (Causal) America. Something we could see is a Zamperla Giant Discovery called Riddler’s Revenge. We could also see a Larson Tilt-A-Whirl called Harley Quinn Spinsanity replacing Whirligig, which would be moved to Revolution’s spot.

Why would they take out Revolution to replace it with essentially the same ride? Besides, Im not sure a Giant Discovery would fit in V2's spot, its very narrow. And for the Tilt a Whirl, we already have so many rides with the same gimmick. Fiddlers Fling, Triple play,HTFM, etc. I would like the opposite, less DC flavored attractions and a focus more on maintaining the themed areas with a good landscaping overhaul. Break out the hedge clippers!
cliffhanger

Postby Coaster Justin on July 11th, 2017, 6:36 pm
cliffhanger wrote:
jmanporty7 wrote:Something I would like to see is a Gotham Harbor makeover for 2018. V2 might be closing this year to be sent to Six Flags (Causal) America. Something we could see is a Zamperla Giant Discovery called Riddler’s Revenge. We could also see a Larson Tilt-A-Whirl called Harley Quinn Spinsanity replacing Whirligig, which would be moved to Revolution’s spot.

Why would they take out Revolution to replace it with essentially the same ride? Besides, Im not sure a Giant Discovery would fit in V2's spot, its very narrow. And for the Tilt a Whirl, we already have so many rides with the same gimmick. Fiddlers Fling, Triple play,HTFM, etc. I would like the opposite, less DC flavored attractions and a focus more on maintaining the themed areas with a good landscaping overhaul. Break out the hedge clippers!

Trust me, Revolution and a Giant Discovery are not the same ride.
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby gottastrata33 on July 11th, 2017, 7:49 pm
I'm gonna have to agree that while similar in rotation, they are not at all the same ride. A riddler/maxair/black widow or whatever else it's named, would be a major upgrade from Revolution. Although I love the paint job on ours is fantastic.
gottastrata33

Postby coasterfanatic on July 11th, 2017, 11:21 pm
Giant Discovery is basically Revolution on steroids. We don't need that.

I will VOMIT if we get a Skywarp. What can be worse than a SuperLoop? A DOUBLE SuperLoop! Six Flags will market that as a coaster so it's unlikely we will get since we've had 3 coasters in what a 5-6 year span.

Here are my speculations for 2018:

1) Buccaneer Battle removed for something new. BB is only open three hours a day and recently had a fire. What's the point of keeping a ride that is only open three hours a day?

2) King Choas relocated to Six Flags America and Mardi Gras rethemed.

3) Pictorium removed (I think this is the least likely of the three).

While it might be true that they DON'T HAVE to remove something to add new things, it will be increasingly difficult to do that if they don't remove stuff over the years. There really is no space to add a coaster without taking one down. I truly believe that Demon will be the next coaster to go, sadly. It had it's time (For those complaining that it's good for kids, they could always add a another coaster that's kid friendly in its place) I think it will be several years before this happens since we have gotten a lot of coasters recently.

Things I don't want:
SuperLoop
Giant Discovery
Zamperla AirRace
Skywarp

That's my thoughts and speculation for 2018. Only time will tell. Right now, I believe BB is on its last days. But I could be wrong.
coasterfanatic

Postby RollingCoasting on July 12th, 2017, 1:02 pm
Superloops are actually really fun. Plenty of hangtime and really comfortable restraints. Too bad Hank Salemi didn't seem to want one here
RollingCoasting

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 12th, 2017, 2:05 pm
I like the pizza at the park. Very good.
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on July 12th, 2017, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 12th, 2017, 4:02 pm
^ I don't even know where to begin with this....

I guess my first question is how do you know about the magnets on the "zipper"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby gottastrata33 on July 12th, 2017, 4:11 pm
Lol what a frickin hater.
gottastrata33

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 12th, 2017, 4:28 pm
^^I can see them. They look like long rectangular pieces of metal. At least the last I've seen, the 2nd level has a green magnet, but not a purple magnet. Look at the last review of purple vs green for the Zipper review topic (joker). Why do you think the guy gets triple or double flips on the green side vs purple? Than, they won't even let you choose what side you want even though the mechanics neutered the purple side. Than, the pr people say up to 6 flips. What a joke?
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 12th, 2017, 4:54 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:^^I can see them. They look like long rectangular pieces of metal. At least the last I've seen, the 2nd level has a green magnet, but not a purple magnet. Look at the last review of purple vs green for the Zipper review topic (joker). Why do you think the guy gets triple or double flips on the green side vs purple? Than, they won't even let you choose what side you want even though the mechanics neutered the purple side. Than, the pr people say up to 6 flips. What a joke?

Maybe it's because it was designed so the purple side flips less...

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby anewman35 on July 12th, 2017, 6:29 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:^^I can see them. They look like long rectangular pieces of metal. At least the last I've seen, the 2nd level has a green magnet, but not a purple magnet. Look at the last review of purple vs green for the Zipper review topic (joker). Why do you think the guy gets triple or double flips on the green side vs purple? Than, they won't even let you choose what side you want even though the mechanics neutered the purple side. Than, the pr people say up to 6 flips. What a joke?

Off topic, but I can't help myself - do you think the "Zipper (Joker)" thing is funny or cool or something? You think the Joker is like a Zipper. We get it. Writing "Zipper (Joker)" every single time you post about it isn't going to change anything about the ride, it just makes you come across as kind of a annoying jerk...
anewman35

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 12th, 2017, 8:40 pm
A few things...

Joker has always been a killer. The only time he wasn't was when they were censoring comic books in the 50s and 60s. In the Spielberg films, Joker was a psychopathic gangster. He killed many people in that film(Which was simply Batman, not Batman Forever). Dark Knight is called Dark Knight because it's themed to that movie, where he is even more psychotic and evil. You can't change that.

The Joker Ride is themed to the general Joker character, not to a specific Joker in a movie. It's up to you if you want to relate him to the one in the Dark Knight. By the way, the ride was never modified. It was originally designed to have Purple Side flip less. And it's not a flat ride. At all. It's a roller coaster with a lift hill, is powered by gravity, and has independent trains with wheels.

End rant.

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Coaster Justin on July 12th, 2017, 9:49 pm
coasterfanatic wrote:Giant Discovery is basically Revolution on steroids. We don't need that...

Things I don't want:
Giant Discovery

Have you ridden a Giant Discovery like Black Widow at Kennywood? Saying we don't need a Giant Discovery cause we have Revolution is like saying we don't need a launch coaster cause we have V2
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 12th, 2017, 10:41 pm
I have a picture from cbs that shows a lot of magnets on the top of the ride. I have a video of them testing the ride with a lot of magnets on the top, and than I have a video of someone recording it last week with only magnets after the lifthill on the top.

https://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/ ... =420&h=293 - cbs picture
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G97RN8bfdZw - a test of the ride
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESK2NjUoLsI- Last week

You don't think they modified the ride?

The forced flip is a magnet on the thing, and they took a lot of them off the ride. The way they came up with 6 flips is because you HAD 3 flips just on the top row.
Ilovthevu'

Postby Skankhunt42 on July 12th, 2017, 10:55 pm
This isn't a Joker topic, it's the 2018 rumors, thoughts and speculation topic. Please stop side tracking every thread on the forum.
Skankhunt42

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum