Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby batmanfan80 on July 9th, 2017, 5:53 pm
East River Crawler is still completely disassembled.

Was there yesterday. Pleased to report it's still going pretty well. Security lines ran very efficiently. Every line we were in aside from Capone's was before HH closed. Seemed less people were in the lines than on the 4th most of the time. Demon ran 2 trains instead of the 3 they did the other day and moved slower. The flash pass worker also got stuck with some talkative customers and that held the line up when it didn't need to be. People also seem to wait forever to go into the loading station, as if they think they need a worker to tell them to. Demon had absolutely no line when we saw it from the train. Once we jumped off the train after doing the full loop to County Fair and rode Eagle, Demon's whole inner queue was filled. Took about 15-20 min. Ride on the black train, 2nd to last was not as smooth as last time in the last row on yellow. Batman's line was out into the yard a little, which would've been at least 45 minutes on a good day in 2012. This line took maybe a little over 20 minutes. Barely any flash passers. The bins seem to help. It's a lot more orderly than just throwing stuff in random places in smaller fixtures. No 30 second announcements yesterday. Liked Batman better on the right outside seat than the left outside I was in this time. Row 8. Generally I prefer the back on these inverts.

Tried Eagle for the first time this season. Red, of course. Everything was awesome except the part after the last trim. They actually need another trim after. Not bad enough to ruin the ride, but it would've been almost flawless if the end wasn't bad. Very impressed that they fixed the helix. Maybe they just trimmed it more beforehand. Eagle is much smoother than Viper. When I land back in my seat on Viper, it always feels like a mild car crash. On Eagle it is completely comfortable. The Eagle airtime was incredible, almost up there with Mako. We were in the middle of the train. Line was a walk up.

X-Flight probably took about 25 min. Line was about 75% of the way to the keyhole. Maybe 20 flash passers. We've been riding Left side lately after years of mainly right side. Always row 4. This time we went right again and it was actually noticeably rougher throughout the ride compared to the left. It's a ride I'm rapidly losing interest in for some reason. There's been times in the past where it was my fav ride of the day, so maybe it's just deteriorating in quality.

Yankee Clipper line took probably close to 25-30 min. Whirleygig was good. More orderly than usual and a shorter ride duration, but not the shortest I've experienced on it.

Joker single rider line was a walk up, one person. Regular line saw the whole queue filled for the most part. Posted time was 45 min but the line was moving really slow. I bet it took longer. Wife likes Green side much better. Goliath and Justice League looked like they had long lines. Seems like the new rides are keeping lines shorter on the older stuff.

Capone's had a shorter line than usual, 1-2 rows filled. Took almost as long as when 3-4 lanes are full. They were more efficient last year as Angelo's. Had a different system. Next week is usually when lines jump to being horrendous. We may try going again sometime this month just to see if the same pattern holds, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's rare to find a decent day between next weekend and the end of the season.
batmanfan80

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 10th, 2017, 9:07 pm
I'm so confused on why so many think the flumes need to go. If SFOT hasn't removed theirs yet and they have the first one ever in the world, I'm guessing maintaining them isn't as bad as everyone thinks. Plus removing them would leave a huge void in our lineup. I can't imagine SFGAM without flumes.

Again just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby hook13 on July 10th, 2017, 11:58 pm
Wonder Woman meet/greet on 1st was great, they should definitely do more of this....she was awesome with the kids (and adults from what I saw)
Attachments
20170701_104113.jpg
hook13

Postby Goku1910 on July 11th, 2017, 8:54 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:I'm so confused on why so many think the flumes need to go. If SFOT hasn't removed theirs yet and they have the first one ever in the world, I'm guessing maintaining them isn't as bad as everyone thinks. Plus removing them would leave a huge void in our lineup. I can't imagine SFGAM without flumes.

Again just my opinion

SFOT also doesn't have harsh winters to deal with. Being exposed to the elements is one thing, but constantly expanding from heat and shrinking from cold speeds up the wear and tear.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby coasterfanatic on July 11th, 2017, 10:12 pm
Boy this thread has gotten off topic.

Let's set some things straight. We all know its impossible to send a train in 30 seconds. The previous wouldn't be fair enough along the ride course for the train to be safely sent. That's not the reason for the spiel. The goal is that guests will here it and move with a heightened sense of urgency, especially those exiting. Yes, peope tune those out but again, all that want you to hear is 30 seconds. Fun fact: Raging Bull's spiel is LONGER than 30 seconds.

Most of the ride inefficiency has to deal with slow moving guests and all the dope hand moves and stuff they had to do. Now, with the take 5 and stuff gone, it speeds up the process. The locks on the bins is a good idea. Helps protect from theft, but that's not slowly down the ride. The time it takes for people to remove their stuff is slowing it down. That's on the guests, not the park.

I was at the park yesterday (Monday 7/10),. Got there at 2:30. Went to water park for a few hours and stayed til park close. Very slow day. Was able to get on pretty much everything. X FLight was only running one train and Goliath had to unload from the lift hill. (It was up and running about an hour later).

Lobster is SLOWLY moving along. THere's a crane in the area and on the curved eccentric arm piece is now in place. It looks like it will be ready for Fright Fest probably.

Everything else was pretty normal. X Flight probably had the longest wait because of the one train.

Rode Demon. It was just me and my cousin on the train. All other rows were empty. Never experienced that before. It was pretty cool.
coasterfanatic

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 12th, 2017, 12:37 pm
coasterfanatic wrote:Boy this thread has gotten off topic.

I was at the park yesterday (Monday 7/10),. Got there at 2:30. Went to water park for a few hours and stayed til park close. Very slow day. Was able to get on pretty much everything. X FLight was only running one train and Goliath had to unload from the lift hill. (It was up and running about an hour later).

Lobster is SLOWLY moving along. THere's a crane in the area and on the curved eccentric arm piece is now in place. It looks like it will be ready for Fright Fest probably.

Everything else was pretty normal. X Flight probably had the longest wait because of the one train.

Rode Demon. It was just me and my cousin on the train. All other rows were empty. Never experienced that before. It was pretty cool.

coasterfanatic, so people actually had to get out ON the lift hill and walk down the catwalk stairs?? I've always wanted to do that for some strange reason. As for you being the only 2 on Demon, that happened to me and my wife on Spacely's this year! We went on it as a "warm up" ride for her -- I had already ridden Goliath 2x to start the day! . It wasn't running at all till we arrived at the station and I found out why: NOBODY was in line at all for it. This was at the beginning of the day. I thought the ride was down till we walked into station!
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby coasterjoy on July 14th, 2017, 2:14 pm
Hi all! First time posting, so bear with me! SFGAM has been my home park for about 20 years so you can say I'm invested lol :) I'm posting because I saw this comment on a recent Hurler update video by Coaster Studios and thought I'd share. Very well could be bogus, but thought it was interesting and worth sharing.Image

coasterjoy

Postby Goku1910 on July 14th, 2017, 2:38 pm
I call bogus. Supervisors don't know what's coming let alone leads or even regular hosts. And even if they did know they wouldn't risk the job passing it down.

They watch what's posted here and other forums, leaking information like that would result in termination.

I think some form of RMC is inevitable on Eagle whether some troll claims to know when it's coming. I always thought the paint job was a precursor of something big....why else would they do eagle before superman when Hank said in an interview that superman was a top priority?
Goku1910

Postby anewman35 on July 14th, 2017, 5:07 pm
Goku1910 wrote:I call bogus. Supervisors don't know what's coming let alone leads or even regular hosts. And even if they did know they wouldn't risk the job passing it down.

They watch what's posted here and other forums, leaking information like that would result in termination.

I think some form of RMC is inevitable on Eagle whether some troll claims to know when it's coming. I always thought the paint job was a precursor of something big....why else would they do eagle before superman when Hank said in an interview that superman was a top priority?

But if they were going to do work on it (especially if it was big work), wouldn't you do that BEFORE painting?
anewman35

Postby JaminOut on July 14th, 2017, 7:19 pm
Wouldn’t we be receiving an announcement about it soon too? Let’s look at our past few years:

2012: X-Flight
2013: A Hot Mess
2014: Goliath
2015: Kids rides and general park update
2016: Justice League
2017: The Joker

2018 should be a year of small investment as we just had two large scale attractions added (Four in the past six years!!!). U wouldn’t expect anything big...

I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby Coaster Justin on July 14th, 2017, 11:06 pm
JaminOut wrote:Wouldn’t we be receiving an announcement about it soon too? Let’s look at our past few years:

2012: X-Flight
2013: A Hot Mess
2014: Goliath
2015: Kids rides and general park update
2016: Justice League
2017: The Joker

2018 should be a year of small investment as we just had two large scale attractions added (Four in the past six years!!!). U wouldn’t expect anything big...

I don't know if it was good enough to be considered "Hot Mess", More like Uncomfortable Mess
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 15th, 2017, 1:27 pm
It could be considered hot mess since it was about the Chicago Fire!

Hahaha

B&MGuy35

Postby WolfsterJ on July 15th, 2017, 2:48 pm
Was at the park today. ERC has started being put into orbit's spot. I'm guessing they want to get it done by Fright Fest.
WolfsterJ

Postby RollingCoasting on July 15th, 2017, 2:57 pm
From SFGAm's Facebook:

"Cinnamon Roll Funnel Cake is the winner for National Funnel Cake Day tomorrow! Available for purchase at Hometown Funnel Cakes on Sunday only!"
RollingCoasting

Postby RollingCoasting on July 16th, 2017, 8:21 pm
Saw this new bench in County Fair:

uDdoAfe.jpg

Compliments the surrounding area well (It also has carousel horse shaped holes at the top though they aren't visible in this picture)

Oh yeah, about the cinnamon roll funnel cake, we asked for one at the designated spot (Hometown Funnel Cakes) and the employee looked at us like we were crazy... Maybe they were out? Too bad. Probably wasn't on the dining pass anyway though I suppose
RollingCoasting

Postby X-Flight2012 on July 17th, 2017, 7:03 pm
I was in the park on July 6th about to get on Logger's Run when the section of the park had a power outage. Since our boat wasn't out of the station, we got to wait in the station. We were with an employee who said he has worked Logger's Run and Yankee Clipper for two years. He said that the park can't remove them because the ground beneath them is soaked from the years of water leaking down into it. I didn't understand it completely, but he said it is too expensive for the park to remove them and replace all of the dirt, and it is cheaper to maintain the flumes.
X-Flight2012

Postby MrsTaxi on July 18th, 2017, 10:45 am
X-Flight2012 wrote:I was in the park on July 6th about to get on Logger's Run when the section of the park had a power outage. Since our boat wasn't out of the station, we got to wait in the station. We were with an employee who said he has worked Logger's Run and Yankee Clipper for two years. He said that the park can't remove them because the ground beneath them is soaked from the years of water leaking down into it. I didn't understand it completely, but he said it is too expensive for the park to remove them and replace all of the dirt, and it is cheaper to maintain the flumes.

Doubtful. Water dries up and dirt is cheap.
MrsTaxi

Postby RaceBoarder on July 18th, 2017, 11:00 am
X-Flight2012 wrote:I was in the park on July 6th about to get on Logger's Run when the section of the park had a power outage. Since our boat wasn't out of the station, we got to wait in the station. We were with an employee who said he has worked Logger's Run and Yankee Clipper for two years. He said that the park can't remove them because the ground beneath them is soaked from the years of water leaking down into it. I didn't understand it completely, but he said it is too expensive for the park to remove them and replace all of the dirt, and it is cheaper to maintain the flumes.

This is proof that ops don't know their ass from a hole in the ground and enthusiasts that believe them are on the same level..
RaceBoarder

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 18th, 2017, 11:32 am
RaceBoarder wrote:

This is proof that ops don't know their ass from a hole in the ground and enthusiasts that believe them are on the same level..

Well do you, an enthusiast who hates this forum(and seemingly the park) have a better explanation than someone who's worked the ride almost every day, every week, for 2 years with the ability to speak with Supervisors and upper management on a nearly daily basis? It just seems like you're just calling both ride ops and enthusiasts idiots for believing in a probable cause as to why a ride can't be removed.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Goku1910 on July 18th, 2017, 8:21 pm
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:
RaceBoarder wrote:

Well do you, an enthusiast who hates this forum(and seemingly the park) have a better explanation than someone who's worked the ride almost every day, every week, for 2 years with the ability to speak with Supervisors and upper management on a nearly daily basis? It just seems like you're just calling both ride ops and enthusiasts idiots for believing in a probable cause as to why a ride can't be removed.

"Ground is soaked" is the funniest explanation ever. Pretty sure you're using sarcasm here but really? Tell me why you would believe this nonsense. You do understand how the tree phases of water works right?

Let's say it's true though, what about Splash Water Falls? Wouldn't the ground be soaked there, too? It was known to have major leaking problems. X-Flight seems to be standing on soaked ground pretty well.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby RandomDoof on July 18th, 2017, 10:34 pm
Not exactly completely related to SFGAm, but John Duffey stepped down and Jim Reid Anderson is back as CEO.
(Also my first post here, yay!)

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/six-fl ... 2017-07-18
RandomDoof

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 18th, 2017, 11:38 pm
Goku1910 wrote:
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:
RaceBoarder wrote:This is proof that ops don't know their ass from a hole in the ground and enthusiasts that believe them are on the same level..

"Ground is soaked" is the funniest explanation ever. Pretty sure you're using sarcasm here but really? Tell me why you would believe this nonsense. You do understand how the tree phases of water works right?

Let's say it's true though, what about Splash Water Falls? Wouldn't the ground be soaked there, too? It was known to have major leaking problems. X-Flight seems to be standing on soaked ground pretty well.

I admit, I posted that in anger. RaceBoarder flat out insulted me and many of my friends, and felt the need to respond. Now that I think about it, the explanation really doesn't make sense, since the majority of the leaking happens over the lake area anyway.

Regardless if the explanation is correct or not, RaceBoarder's comment is still insulting(especially on a forum where many people know/are friends with ride ops and park staff).

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Goku1910 on July 19th, 2017, 12:03 am
Even though he's coming off completely wrong he is on the right track. Employees really know little to nothing about possible removals or additions.

They know the same amount as we do. There are enthusiasts working for the park, not many, but they are there and they tend to look for signs of a rides impending doom like us. My experience during my time at the park it was obvious to us and the general public that Iron Wolf was coming down.
Goku1910

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 21st, 2017, 3:44 pm

Lobster update from a few days ago. It seems like they're pushing through with the project.

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 23rd, 2017, 11:55 pm
I wonder if Six Flags Great America is not doing that good this year out of most of the Six Flags parks. They are offering tickets online for $40 (which i think is a reasonable price), but their regular price is so overpriced at the gate being $73.

I'm looking at other Six Flags parks, and the only one cheaper is the Great Escape with $40 tickets. The Great Escape is a pretty small park. It's more expensive to go Six Flags America at $46 than it is Great America online ticket prices. Great Adventure is $50 tickets online. Fiesta Texas is $46 online. Magic Mountain is $60 online. Over Texas is $45 online.

Fiesta Texas & Great America are the only ones that have a Summer Sale that I can find. Are they doing the worst of the Six Flags chain in the US as compared to LAST YEAR? Obviously, Great America is doing better than a lot of Six Flags parks, but I'm saying as compared to last year.

EDIT: Just yesterday, the deal was on there for Great America & Fiesta Texas. Today, they took it off? What in the world?

It was only for a week I guess:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1704635683165780/
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on July 24th, 2017, 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum