Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

X-Flight new for 2012

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby chester016 on September 1st, 2011, 3:49 pm
I personally think that the first overlay that was not scaled down is more accurate. Think about where the current survey markings are. I also think that that helix could potentially circle the entire DDD pad. That would be epic. It would also force them to rework the AE pathway, which to be honest is more of a pain in the A@# than anything right now with all the zig zagging it does.
chester016

Postby michael on September 1st, 2011, 3:55 pm
patience is excellence, btw a Vu going into SFNE i beleive aka Goliath now :|
Uncoil The Viper
michael

Postby Muck Finnesota on September 1st, 2011, 4:07 pm
Johnny.Ink wrote:
acquaz10 wrote:
SFGAm Viper wrote:Believe me, the guy who does these animations is accurate. This isn't some nolimits junk!

Yeah, Keith McVeen. His work is amazing.

Does he have a website for his work? I'd be cool to check out other animations he has done.

Here's an old website of his- http://www.3dvip.com/
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

Postby ragingbull1331 on September 1st, 2011, 4:14 pm
I have a feeling this ride will be cloned at all the six flags parks if it successful... just like Batman
RIP IRON WOLF

Twitter: ILoveJimmy_Pop
ragingbull1331

Postby RagingFanatic on September 1st, 2011, 4:16 pm
Yes, I do agree with everyone saying this will be cloned. This seems like just the perfect height and design to be a clone at multiple Six Flags Parks. No matter how much I believe that this should be a unique coaster, something will happen, you watch ;)!
Last Visit, American Eagle BACKWARDS 5 times in a row right before the park closed. I cannot WAIT to go back for Fright Fest!
RagingFanatic

Postby ragingbull1331 on September 1st, 2011, 4:21 pm
What I find exciting is the fact the lines for Superman and Raging Bull might get a little shorter because of this addition... and i have a feeling X-Flight will eventually become a "people eater" when it comes to capacity.
RIP IRON WOLF

Twitter: ILoveJimmy_Pop
ragingbull1331

Postby bearfan on September 1st, 2011, 4:37 pm
I dont see it being fast que time seeing how it only has 2 trains 8 rows per trian.
bearfan

Postby woohoodude11 on September 1st, 2011, 5:08 pm
chester016 wrote:I personally think that the first overlay that was not scaled down is more accurate. Think about where the current survey markings are. I also think that that helix could potentially circle the entire DDD pad. That would be epic. It would also force them to rework the AE pathway, which to be honest is more of a pain in the A@# than anything right now with all the zig zagging it does.

I couldn't imagine what riding DDD would be like right over X-Flight...but I HIGHLY doubt it'll happen. I see DDD moving to IW spot, or being scrapped (charging $15 per person is an excellent way to get your last couple dollars)

Now I'm randomly excited to see how it looks among the skyline from the go-karts.
Missing Shockwave more and more every day.
woohoodude11

Postby Ilovthevu' on September 1st, 2011, 5:44 pm
Coastermonkey61 wrote:
Ilovthevu' wrote:Isn't this really a Swarm clone? I don't really care, but some enthusiasts are like we don't need a clone. We need something unique... Now, what I care about is how many trains will this have, and I don't see a mid-course brake. For capacity sake, I want another 3 train coaster, and I have a feeling this is not.

Sure, I see Superman getting a little less packed, but I think Dark Knight is going to take even more a blunt of lost ridership, and of course, there is no more Iron Wolf so those riders need to go elsewhere.

It's probably only going to have 2 trains looking it up. Iron Wolf was 2900 ft. Superman is about 2800. Batman the Ride is 2700, Whizzer is 3100 (but it has a lot of helixes.), and Raging Bull is 5057 ft. Though to be fair, the lifthill counts as number of feet too. So, Batman the Ride goes up 100 ft, and Raging Bull is 208 ft, so that's 100 + more ft just for the lifthill alone. Also, a hill is going to take a lot more feet / track than a straight track would.

What?

Well, the middle answer relates to this (Geesh, I'm sorry I didn't use the quote button.):
"Looks awesome. I for one can't wait. I guess the lines for Superman just got more manageble."

The 3rd one deals with an edit. I wrote the first thing, and than I looked at the other roller coasters length on rcdb, and because the ft for the other coasters is in the order of the length of ft for this coaster, I believe it is just going to have 2 trains. For Raging Bull, when you have a hill, that takes more track than a non-hill track (track length) because it's goes higher in the air! Do you get what I mean by that? A hill of Raging Bull is going to take more track because it's elevated more than just 180 degrees straight track for the same amount of space (area). The same thing goes for a taller lifthill. Batman the Ride's lifthill uses a ton less track than Raging Bull's lifthill. Also, what I didn't mention is that Raging Bull has a huge brakerun at the end of the ride. It also has 3 trains which increases the track length for that alone. For instance, Diamondback the brakerun is feels like nothing compared to Raging Bull. Well, at least it feels that way, and Diamondback uses 3 trains.

Look at Superman to the left of the screen for this picture. Do you notice how that track doesn't change a ton in elevation.
http://rcdb.com/1976.htm?p=12629

However look at Raging Bull's hill, and that's a huge difference in elevation. The more elevation the more track, and more ft a coaster is going to need.
http://rcdb.com/535.htm?p=468
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby michael on September 1st, 2011, 6:40 pm
Now that we seen this come, there is still alot of time left in off-season for a small addition, think theyll throw anything else at us? ( not exactly the same size or anything near, just anything)
Uncoil The Viper
michael

Postby Jerrykoala2112 on September 1st, 2011, 7:25 pm
They will probably rework the area around X-Flight. Moving around the games, adding a shop here and there, fixing the path, stuff like that. X-Flight looks awesome, hands down, but let's hope they fix the horrible cement left over from Splash Water Falls into a nice, grass and tree filled area. (Like what they did with Superman)
Jerrykoala2112

Postby Luxornv on September 1st, 2011, 7:26 pm
michael wrote:Now that we seen this come, there is still alot of time left in off-season for a small addition, think theyll throw anything else at us? ( not exactly the same size or anything near, just anything)

Doubtful. Now you're looking like the kid at Christmas who's still looking for presents even though there is clearly nothing left under the tree.
Luxornv

Postby Paradise on September 1st, 2011, 8:34 pm
Here's an old website of his- http://www.3dvip.com/[/quote]

2005, 14 pics down...WTF?
Have a take and don't suck, it's the Jim Rome Show!
Paradise

Postby CstrFan512 on September 1st, 2011, 8:37 pm
I wonder if those fly-throughs will go up on the cement slab of SWF or if those will even go up a week before opening day.
Don't fight the Bull, ride the Bull!

Best 2011 Moment: "I lost my phone on Raging Bull!"
"WELL I LOST A SOCK!!!"
Best 2012 Moment: "No good! DREAM ON!"
Best 2013 Moment: "I came here for Auntie Anne's pretzels and coasters......in that order!"
CstrFan512

Postby Timmy179 on September 1st, 2011, 9:36 pm
AsRealAsItGets wrote:Here's an old website of his- http://www.3dvip.com/

2005, 14 pics down...WTF?[/quote]

Did you read the description?
Timmy179
Member Spotlight Guy

Postby Director_Guy on September 1st, 2011, 9:45 pm
Looks like I'll have to come out and visit next summer after all. Looks to be pretty exciting. Though, watching it just makes me wish it was 4D. There really aren't enough of those.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking, isn't thinking of.
Director_Guy

Postby ilrider on September 1st, 2011, 9:46 pm
Director_Guy wrote:Looks like I'll have to come out and visit next summer after all. Looks to be pretty exciting. Though, watching it just makes me wish it was 4D. There really aren't enough of those.

Yeah, because X/X2 bankrupted Arrow.
ilrider

Postby Director_Guy on September 1st, 2011, 9:48 pm
^Man, was it worth it.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking, isn't thinking of.
Director_Guy

Postby chester016 on September 1st, 2011, 9:54 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:
Coastermonkey61 wrote:
Ilovthevu' wrote:Isn't this really a Swarm clone? I don't really care, but some enthusiasts are like we don't need a clone. We need something unique... Now, what I care about is how many trains will this have, and I don't see a mid-course brake. For capacity sake, I want another 3 train coaster, and I have a feeling this is not.

Sure, I see Superman getting a little less packed, but I think Dark Knight is going to take even more a blunt of lost ridership, and of course, there is no more Iron Wolf so those riders need to go elsewhere.

It's probably only going to have 2 trains looking it up. Iron Wolf was 2900 ft. Superman is about 2800. Batman the Ride is 2700, Whizzer is 3100 (but it has a lot of helixes.), and Raging Bull is 5057 ft. Though to be fair, the lifthill counts as number of feet too. So, Batman the Ride goes up 100 ft, and Raging Bull is 208 ft, so that's 100 + more ft just for the lifthill alone. Also, a hill is going to take a lot more feet / track than a straight track would.

What?

Well, the middle answer relates to this (Geesh, I'm sorry I didn't use the quote button.):
"Looks awesome. I for one can't wait. I guess the lines for Superman just got more manageble."

The 3rd one deals with an edit. I wrote the first thing, and than I looked at the other roller coasters length on rcdb, and because the ft for the other coasters is in the order of the length of ft for this coaster, I believe it is just going to have 2 trains. For Raging Bull, when you have a hill, that takes more track than a non-hill track (track length) because it's goes higher in the air! Do you get what I mean by that? A hill of Raging Bull is going to take more track because it's elevated more than just 180 degrees straight track for the same amount of space (area). The same thing goes for a taller lifthill. Batman the Ride's lifthill uses a ton less track than Raging Bull's lifthill. Also, what I didn't mention is that Raging Bull has a huge brakerun at the end of the ride. It also has 3 trains which increases the track length for that alone. For instance, Diamondback the brakerun is feels like nothing compared to Raging Bull. Well, at least it feels that way, and Diamondback uses 3 trains.

Look at Superman to the left of the screen for this picture. Do you notice how that track doesn't change a ton in elevation.
http://rcdb.com/1976.htm?p=12629

However look at Raging Bull's hill, and that's a huge difference in elevation. The more elevation the more track, and more ft a coaster is going to need.
http://rcdb.com/535.htm?p=468

What exactly is your point? most of the posts I read on here from you do not make a whole lot of sense and are extremely long. The length of the lift hill has nothing to do with how many trains they will be able to run on the ride. Maybe someone else can help out with this, but isnt there some kind of safety regulation that requires you to have the mid-ride brake run in order to run three trains? I am banking on 2 trains Because the ride seems very quick and there is no mid-ride brake run. It will still be a people eater once operations gets a system down and it gets to running to full capacity.
chester016

Postby ilrider on September 1st, 2011, 9:59 pm
Director_Guy wrote:^Man, was it worth it.

To you, maybe. lol
ilrider

Postby rizash on September 1st, 2011, 10:08 pm
The length of track is if measured along the rails... Not along the ground, a 3000 ft track can fit in a 2500 ft footprint easily.

Also in extreme tall rides cases a lift hill height does alter three train operation. Bull can have one loading or unloading, one on the lift hill and one more on the course. Once it passes mid course brakes the train on the lift is clear to start. If you are observant you will notice that the lift on bull runs faster when running two trains than three... This allows more efficient train stacking.

The problem is x flight has low energy and speed and high drag... 55 mph small train and high drag means you really dont want brakes because energy is at a premium. You dont have three train operation in this configuration unless you have separate and loading areas... Or a very slow lift lol.
Last edited by rizash on September 1st, 2011, 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rizash

Postby Falcon on September 1st, 2011, 10:18 pm
ragingbull1331 wrote:I have a feeling this ride will be cloned at all the six flags parks if it successful... just like Batman

Same here. But atleast this will be one of a kind for one year. Hopefuly six flasg starts using original layouts an this doesnt become B&Ms cookie cutter layout.

But anyway this thing sould be awesome! I think I might be getting a season pass!
Falcon

Postby Paradise on September 1st, 2011, 10:27 pm
Timmy179 wrote:
AsRealAsItGets wrote:Here's an old website of his- http://www.3dvip.com/

2005, 14 pics down...WTF?

Did you read the description?[/quote]

I did, looks cool. lol. I've just never run across such a thing on the internet. I'd like to see more concept coaster art though. Stuff that hasn't been made...
Have a take and don't suck, it's the Jim Rome Show!
Paradise

Postby Ilovthevu' on September 1st, 2011, 10:39 pm
rizash wrote:The length of track is if measured along the rails... Not along the ground, a 3000 ft track can fit in a 2500 ft footprint easily.

That was exactly my point. The greater the change in elevation, the more track you are using. The more track you are using, usually means more trains. However, if you look at Demon, that's a short coaster, but it still has 3 trains though it mostly uses 2 trains. However, Whizzer with a 3100 length has 3 trains, and is used more often than Demon at least. To me, the Whizzer can be sent out very fast with 3 trains.

I just kind of don't like when at Superman, they have to wait completely for the train to be sent all the way around before they send out the next one. I don't understand why on Superman there isn't some point in the middle of it in which once it passes that, let them be able to send out the next one.

Besides, a mid-course brake, the lifthills on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad are treated like brakes, and for mouse coasters, I think they would have more brakes than just one.
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on September 1st, 2011, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby FParker185 on September 1st, 2011, 10:44 pm
Intraxx used to be the kind of ride animation and even model building for new rides. Keith McVeen/VIP pretty much single-handedly put them out of business though.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum