Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

X-Flight new for 2012

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby ilrider on September 1st, 2011, 10:51 am
^This isn't going in IW's spot. It's going in the old Splashwater Falls area that has sat vacant for a few years.
ilrider

Postby rct2wizard360 on September 1st, 2011, 11:14 am
From the POV, it looks like the lift will be directly inline with the midway next to Buccaneer Battle.

And it also looks like it'll all be on one side of the train tracks.

Hopefully this thing will pack a punch with the tight footprint.
"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada." -Britney Spears
rct2wizard360

Postby Coastermonkey61 on September 1st, 2011, 11:24 am
I'm good with not getting Chang now.
Coastermonkey61

Postby Johnny.Ink on September 1st, 2011, 11:41 am
Looks awesome. I for one can't wait. I guess the lines for Superman just got more manageble. :mrgreen:
Johnny.Ink

Postby KyleK414 on September 1st, 2011, 11:51 am
EPIC! Looking so forward to next year now. The insane element where you don't just buzz the tower, but literally go through it will honestly scare me the first ride and probably all rides on it. Just doesn't seem physically possible haha. Also the other building is like a hanger. The theming will be nothing short of awesome for this ride as well. Way to go BIG SFGAm!!!
Push down, then pull up. Exit to your left/right. And, enjoy the rest of your day at Six Flags! Your friendly enthusiast Kyle.
KyleK414

Postby Ilovthevu' on September 1st, 2011, 12:31 pm
Isn't this really a Swarm clone? I don't really care, but some enthusiasts are like we don't need a clone. We need something unique... Now, what I care about is how many trains will this have, and I don't see a mid-course brake. For capacity sake, I want another 3 train coaster, and I have a feeling this is not.

Sure, I see Superman getting a little less packed, but I think Dark Knight is going to take even more a blunt of lost ridership, and of course, there is no more Iron Wolf so those riders need to go elsewhere.

It's probably only going to have 2 trains looking it up. Iron Wolf was 2900 ft. Superman is about 2800. Batman the Ride is 2700, Whizzer is 3100 (but it has a lot of helixes.), and Raging Bull is 5057 ft. Though to be fair, the lifthill counts as number of feet too. So, Batman the Ride goes up 100 ft, and Raging Bull is 208 ft, so that's 100 + more ft just for the lifthill alone. Also, a hill is going to take a lot more feet / track than a straight track would.
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on September 1st, 2011, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby woohoodude11 on September 1st, 2011, 12:40 pm
^^^there have been riders for wolf these past few years?? Were all those walk-ons just hallucinations??

This ride looks amazing. A tad sad on the track length. But the overall experience should be worth the wait. Can't wait for 2012 now.
woohoodude11

Postby Ilovthevu' on September 1st, 2011, 12:44 pm
^Yeah, Iron Wolf had a line at times. When the park was a litlte more crowded, 10 -15 minutes at best. Sometimes, it even had those switchbacks open during Fright Fest though which meant a longer line - not terribly long line though.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Muck Finnesota on September 1st, 2011, 12:47 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:Isn't this really a Swarm clone?

No.

Swarm:

Last edited by Muck Finnesota on September 1st, 2011, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

Postby CoasterBGW on September 1st, 2011, 12:47 pm
I attempted to overlay it onto a aerial photo of the park. Note, some of the things overlap becuase of the angle the aerial photograph was taken, but I think it gives a good rough estimate of the location. My main reference point was the old raceway cars service shed which I assumed was staying becuase of the new trim.

CoasterBGW

Postby Ilovthevu' on September 1st, 2011, 12:53 pm
^That looks like it's going to crash into American Eagle. lol
Ilovthevu'

Postby rct2wizard360 on September 1st, 2011, 12:58 pm
I think if you scaled down the coaster a little bit it would make sense based on two things:
-The first drop is supposed to be right next to the turn before Demon's break run.
-The assumption that they will not remove DDD.

I'm still unsure on if it's crossing the tracks or not. That's what it looked like in the video but it is just a promo video. Demon's turn around and the train tracks would prove a bit of a problem for a lifthill.

Then again, it could very well be going around DDD and they might adjust Eagle's queue accordingly.
"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada." -Britney Spears
rct2wizard360

Postby Mr. Oscar on September 1st, 2011, 1:06 pm
Is it just me, or does Apocalypse at SFA look a lot like IW?
Let's see... 12 days til colonoscopy (appt got moved :D )
No school today :D
Mr. Oscar

Postby woohoodude11 on September 1st, 2011, 1:08 pm
Yeah the scaling might be a hair off...but either way its looks really sharp there. Nice color transition. With the rides in thhe area...RED white and blue, red and BLACK, black. I'm hoping for some killer theming instead of random make no sense buildings. I get the whole flight gimmick with a hangar and air traffic control...but lighting and possibly tarmac will make this beyond epic.
woohoodude11

Postby Ilovthevu' on September 1st, 2011, 1:09 pm
^^That's because it is.
Ilovthevu'

Postby woohoodude11 on September 1st, 2011, 1:14 pm
Mr. Oscar wrote:Is it just me, or does Apocalypse at SFA look a lot like IW?

Really.
woohoodude11

Postby CoasterBGW on September 1st, 2011, 1:16 pm
rct2wizard360 wrote:I think if you scaled down the coaster a little bit it would make sense based on two things:
-The first drop is supposed to be right next to the turn before Demon's break run.
-The assumption that they will not remove DDD.

I'm still unsure on if it's crossing the tracks or not. That's what it looked like in the video but it is just a promo video. Demon's turn around and the train tracks would prove a bit of a problem for a lifthill.

Then again, it could very well be going around DDD and they might adjust Eagle's queue accordingly.

Here is an updated one that has been scaled down. My only issue with this new one is it does not re-use the existing building. However, the drop height is scaled approximately right (120ish ft).

CoasterBGW

Postby SFGAm Viper on September 1st, 2011, 1:17 pm
Believe me, the guy who does these animations is accurate. This isn't some nolimits junk!
SFGAm Viper

Postby coasterfanatic on September 1st, 2011, 1:33 pm
The ride looks entirely awesome and features some invesions that we have not seen on a roller coaster at Great America before!!! The ride will have two trains as it it not long enough and doesn't have an additional break run to hold three trains! Finally, people can stay there complaining about not getting a new coaster!
coasterfanatic

Postby acquaz10 on September 1st, 2011, 2:37 pm
SFGAm Viper wrote:Believe me, the guy who does these animations is accurate. This isn't some nolimits junk!

Yeah, Keith McVeen. His work is amazing.
acquaz10

Postby Patch on September 1st, 2011, 2:44 pm
THIS RIDE IS AWESOME!!!

Totaly worth a 4 billion minute wait and the PERFECT addition to the park!
Xlight total rides:
50 times and in every row except front row left wing.
Patch

Postby Cole on September 1st, 2011, 3:28 pm
I cannot wait for 3 hour lines for this thing.
Top 5: 1) El Toro. 2) Maverick. 3) Millenium Force. 4) Diamondback. 5) X2.
Coaster Count: 167 (41 Wood, 125 Steel)
@Coaster_Cole on Twitter
Cole

Postby Coastermonkey61 on September 1st, 2011, 3:32 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:Isn't this really a Swarm clone? I don't really care, but some enthusiasts are like we don't need a clone. We need something unique... Now, what I care about is how many trains will this have, and I don't see a mid-course brake. For capacity sake, I want another 3 train coaster, and I have a feeling this is not.

Sure, I see Superman getting a little less packed, but I think Dark Knight is going to take even more a blunt of lost ridership, and of course, there is no more Iron Wolf so those riders need to go elsewhere.

It's probably only going to have 2 trains looking it up. Iron Wolf was 2900 ft. Superman is about 2800. Batman the Ride is 2700, Whizzer is 3100 (but it has a lot of helixes.), and Raging Bull is 5057 ft. Though to be fair, the lifthill counts as number of feet too. So, Batman the Ride goes up 100 ft, and Raging Bull is 208 ft, so that's 100 + more ft just for the lifthill alone. Also, a hill is going to take a lot more feet / track than a straight track would.

What?
Coastermonkey61

Postby CstrFan512 on September 1st, 2011, 3:45 pm
Glad to see that SFGAm is a leader in coaster innovation again! :D
Wow what a huge day for Six Flags. Every park is getting something. And i noticed that a lot of the waterpark additions some parks are getting that they look a TON like Riptide Bay!
Don't fight the Bull, ride the Bull!

Best 2011 Moment: "I lost my phone on Raging Bull!"
"WELL I LOST A SOCK!!!"
Best 2012 Moment: "No good! DREAM ON!"
Best 2013 Moment: "I came here for Auntie Anne's pretzels and coasters......in that order!"
CstrFan512

Postby Johnny.Ink on September 1st, 2011, 3:45 pm
acquaz10 wrote:
SFGAm Viper wrote:Believe me, the guy who does these animations is accurate. This isn't some nolimits junk!

Yeah, Keith McVeen. His work is amazing.

Does he have a website for his work? I'd be cool to check out other animations he has done.
Johnny.Ink

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum