Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

X-Flight new for 2012

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby CoasterDave316 on September 1st, 2011, 12:42 am

This is going to be the official X-flight topic, for all discussion regarding the new B&M Wing Coaster being added to the park for 2012. Let's try to keep any reaction, news updates and construction updates regarding X-Flight in this topic.

Thanks!

Great America Press Release wrote:Revolutionary Wing Coaster Coming to
Six Flags Great America in 2012

First Theme Park in the U.S. to Announce Plans to Build
State-of-the-Art Wing Coaster

Get ready to take flight! Six Flags Great America announces plans to add a state-of-the-art roller coaster for the 2012 season. X-Flight is a ground-breaking wing coaster featuring cutting-edge technology. The Gurnee theme park is the first to announce plans for a wing coaster in the U.S.

X-Flight will take riders on a flight that defies gravity, with no track above or below them. Riders sit in pairs, suspended on either side of the track with their feet dangling, as they begin their climb up a 12-story plunge launching them into speeds of 55mph through 3,000 feet of intense drops and five inversions, including a barrel roll and zero-g roll. One of the most adrenaline-pumping moments on the ride is an extreme fly-through where the coaster speeds straight toward a structure, before making a last-minute vertical flip to fit through a keyhole cut-out.

“Six Flags Great America has a long history of introducing legendary rides and first-of-its-kind roller coasters,” said Hank Salemi, Six Flags Great America Park President. “What makes X-Flight so unique is soaring through 3,000 feet of high-speed drops, loops and turns, with nothing above or below you. The coaster’s train actually looks like a plane with seats suspended on either side of the track. It’s like nothing you have ever experienced before. We are thrilled to bring this revolutionary wing coaster to our guests for the 2012 season.”

X-Flight is designed by acclaimed Swiss manufacturer Bolliger & Mabillard, who also designed Six Flags Great America favorites: Raging Bull, SUPERMAN: Ultimate Flight and BATMAN: The Ride. The wing coaster will make its home in the County Fair section of the park. Construction begins this Fall. X-Flight is scheduled to open Spring of 2012.

Six Flags Great America is located between Chicago and Milwaukee and offers fun for the entire family with 14 heart-pounding roller coasters, a free 20-acre water park, spectacular shows, a nighttime illuminated parade and three children’s themed areas. Soar on X-Flight all season long with a 2012 Season Pass, now on sale for $64.99 for four or more. Buy now and get a 2012 Season Parking Pass free. Sale ends October 30, 2011. For more information including video of X-Flight and all the upcoming 2012 Six Flags attractions, visit http://www.sixflags.com/2012news.
Go Bulls!
Dave - SFGAmWorld Webmaster
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby Chitown on September 1st, 2011, 12:46 am
Let me be the first to say this is going to be another B&M forceless, dull, run of the mill coaster that enthusiasts will say sucks.

Now that I got that out of the way, this coaster is a great addition and I am looking forward to it.

Sarcasm in the first sentence incase you get confused. :lol:
I finally retired the Sarah Palin signature because she is now 100% irrelevant.
Chitown

Postby Flying_Potato_Man on September 1st, 2011, 12:56 am
As of right now, i am in LOVE with the design of the train! This is turning out to be the big coaster that us fans have been waiting for! :)
Flying_Potato_Man

Postby thedavid on September 1st, 2011, 12:57 am
I think this is a great comeback for me. I'm really happy that we're finally getting a high-capacity beautiful coaster. This just makes SFGAm more tempting for outsiders!
thedavid

Postby rct2wizard360 on September 1st, 2011, 12:57 am
There's already a few people claiming it will be a snoozefest on the Facebook page.
As long as they make my 2-3 hour wait that much shorter, don't really care what they think!

Very excited to finally get a new coaster in our park and I'm THRILLED that it's a B&M.
"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada." -Britney Spears
rct2wizard360

Postby CoasterDude12-2 on September 1st, 2011, 12:59 am
It feels good the wait is finally over. 8 years and we've been rewarded for our patience.
CoasterDude12-2

Postby Galvan on September 1st, 2011, 1:18 am
Depending on where the entrance to this ride is, im willing to bet that X-Flight will have a line to Whizzer.
Galvan

Postby thedavid on September 1st, 2011, 1:21 am
I'm sure the park will figure out some sort of 'temporary queue' during the first season. Lines will be ridiculously long though, wondering if Flash Pass will be an up charge on top of normal prices, or platinum and silver only.
thedavid

Postby Galvan on September 1st, 2011, 1:24 am
^Thats a good point, SFMM does that with X2, perhaps with X-Flight.

Also, what becomes of Dollywood's Wingrider rumor? is that still on, I guess we have to wait until Sunday for that.
Galvan

Postby wishman35 on September 1st, 2011, 1:25 am
Has it been announced officially? I thought this site wasn't going to post until the official site announced? Its awesome to see that graphic, just wondering where it came from!!

EDIT: Saw the coasterfusion link
Last edited by wishman35 on September 1st, 2011, 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
wishman35

Postby thedavid on September 1st, 2011, 1:29 am
^^ There's no stopping Dollywood now. GAm just beat them to it, that was their plan.
thedavid

Postby KyleK414 on September 1st, 2011, 1:33 am
wishman35 wrote:Has it been announced officially? I thought this site wasn't going to post until the official site announced? Its awesome to see that graphic, just wondering where it came from!!

LA Times released it early. Six Flags got wind of it and shut it down. It's out there, and I have it on my hard drive now too. I got it from facebook and TPR.
Push down, then pull up. Exit to your left/right. And, enjoy the rest of your day at Six Flags! Your friendly enthusiast Kyle.
KyleK414

Postby sfgam1 on September 1st, 2011, 2:00 am
It may be forceless and all that junk, but who really knows?! This is a great addition and with every new "big" coaster we build, we discover a different way to ride. I cannot wait to experience this.......is it 2012 yet??
sfgam1

Postby gottastrata33 on September 1st, 2011, 2:09 am
Im so excited to see the other pics & video [full announcement]!!
I dream of the 400ft "Great American SkyScreamer". x
gottastrata33

Postby KyleK414 on September 1st, 2011, 2:13 am
^ Me too!
Push down, then pull up. Exit to your left/right. And, enjoy the rest of your day at Six Flags! Your friendly enthusiast Kyle.
KyleK414

Postby AceStriker on September 1st, 2011, 2:32 am
Hey I'm new here, but i've been following this board for quite sometime. I must say you guys are some interesting people.

gottastrata33 wrote:Im so excited to see the other pics & video [full announcement]!!

So just curious but how long before they normal release a video of what the ride looks like. I remember for Leviathan at Canada's Wonderland I saw it right away.
AceStriker

Postby gottastrata33 on September 1st, 2011, 2:52 am
Well basing off the pic we have, SF hired the best guy to simulate what new rides will look like. He's the same guy who did Leviathan's animation as well....so as I started, basing it off of that, I know well have at least a video on the website. But the mini-sites like what Leviathan has is really a CedarFair thing, so that I'm sure we won't have. As for what time the full announcement is, I have no clue. Just hope its before 9am when I have to leave for work!! Haha
gottastrata33

Postby acquaz10 on September 1st, 2011, 3:15 am
gottastrata33 wrote:Well basing off the pic we have, SF hired the best guy to simulate what new rides will look like. He's the same guy who did Leviathan's animation as well....so as I started, basing it off of that, I know well have at least a video on the website. But the mini-sites like what Leviathan has is really a CedarFair thing, so that I'm sure we won't have. As for what time the full announcement is, I have no clue. Just hope its before 9am when I have to leave for work!! Haha

There will be an 11 minute video with Jim Reid Anderson announcing everything for all the parks. In it is a brief animation of X Flight. It has the same element fly through that Raptor at Gardaland has. And yes, you are flying through a building on it. Definitely my most excited thing in 2012.
acquaz10

Postby AceStriker on September 1st, 2011, 3:16 am
Oh I see. Well thanks for helping me figure it out. True I never really see any mini sites for six flags rides. But announcements wise it could be around any were from 9 am to as late as 3 if they hold a press confrence or anything like that. Lol so glad school for me doesn't start till tuesdau
AceStriker

Postby CoasterDave316 on September 1st, 2011, 5:02 am
Here is the puzzle photo.
Go Bulls!
Dave - SFGAmWorld Webmaster
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby Flying_Potato_Man on September 1st, 2011, 5:25 am
Quote from SF Facebook: New in 2012... X-Flight, a ground-breaking wing coaster! X-Flight will take riders on a flight that defies gravity, with no track above or below them. Riders sit in pairs, suspended on either side of the track with their feet dangling, as they begin their climb up a 12-story plunge launching them into speeds of 55mph through 3,000ft. of intense drops and 5 inversions, including a barrel roll and zero-g roll.
Flying_Potato_Man

Postby Flying_Potato_Man on September 1st, 2011, 5:37 am
And heres a little animation of the coaster! Things just got real, my friends. http://affiliate.kickapps.com/_2012Anno ... 51061.html
Flying_Potato_Man

Postby oh-my-lanta! on September 1st, 2011, 5:52 am
Is that an inverted drop i see????
oh-my-lanta!

Postby Chitown on September 1st, 2011, 6:18 am
Here is the CEO's revealing of every attraction coming to a SF park.

Watch the first footage which is of SFGAm and its new Wing Rider. It seems they kept footage thinking that Chang was going into the park. Kinda funny.

http://affiliate.kickapps.com/_2012Anno ... 51061.html
I finally retired the Sarah Palin signature because she is now 100% irrelevant.
Chitown

Postby ragingbull1331 on September 1st, 2011, 6:25 am
This ride looks awesome, I have a feeling Dollywood is going to get "Chang'd" and not get a Wing Rider.

and Cole was right about this ride for weeks yet everyone sort of ignored/tried to get rid of him. :lol:
RIP IRON WOLF

Twitter: ILoveJimmy_Pop
ragingbull1331

Next

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum