Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Suf Not a clone???

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby coastrcorey on January 25th, 2003, 10:46 pm
I don't know... I think Raging Bull was more of a hit than this will be... I mean don't get me wrong, this is really cool that we're getting S:UF, but I think other 'first of a kinders' (Iron Wolf, Batman, Raging Bull) would have had a little more crowded opening days...
coastrcorey

Postby T_Biggs on January 25th, 2003, 10:54 pm
What was so first-of-a-kind about Iron Wolf or Raging Bull? Stand ups already were around. Iron Wolf was different because it was the world's tallest, fastest, and loopiest and was the first B&M, which the GP didn't have a clue. Raging Bull wasn't the first anything. It wasn't B&M's first hyper, or the world's first hyper-twister. The only first it was is the first B&M to be called Raging Bull. :lol:
T_Biggs

Postby Chitown on January 26th, 2003, 12:05 am
It was B&M's first hypertwister. :lol:Even though Magnumforce was the unofficial first hypertwister, RB still has an original layout.Actually T_Biggs, Raging Bull and Apollos Chariott are both B&M's first hypers. AC opened a month before RB. They were both constructed at the same time though.
I finally retired the Sarah Palin signature because she is now 100% irrelevant.
Chitown

Postby coastrcorey on January 27th, 2003, 10:32 pm
Yeah that's what I thought! And I know Iron Wolf was a 'first' something.
coastrcorey

Postby Blinkcoaster on January 28th, 2003, 9:19 pm
I think it will depend on the publicty of the new ride. But it will be more people than other times maybe :?
Hey it could happen....
Blinkcoaster

Postby coasterzak on January 29th, 2003, 12:11 pm
The GP won't know that there are two others in the US even remotely similar. They know their park is getting a new coaster and that is all that matters.
coasterzak

Postby GamRCFreak on February 4th, 2003, 3:45 pm
coastrcorey wrote:Yeah that's what I thought! And I know Iron Wolf was a 'first' something.
it sure was, it was the very first beemer, not to mention their first stand up.
GamRCFreak

Location: Hinsdale, IL in the summer, DeKalb IL in the School Year (Go Huskies!)

Postby DemonRules on February 8th, 2003, 11:40 am
i still dont understand why they didnt tear down the whizzer instead. what better place to put a flyer than through woods and over water??? i dont care if there was any public outcry, they didnt know what was going to replace it. i realize that its gonna be good no matter where it goes, but shockwave didnt deserve the disrespect we gave it. why wasnt there any outcry over tearing it down?
The Helix<finally finished
DemonRules

Postby coasterzak on February 8th, 2003, 12:07 pm
... because of a conspiracy with it breaking. I don't know for sure, ask the SFGAm folk that live near the park, they seem to know best about this one! I wondered the same thing.
coasterzak

Postby coastrcorey on February 8th, 2003, 1:20 pm
OK! For the last time... Shockwave was naughty and an axle or some other part like that broke... The public outcry thing was a complete cover up! The last thing Public Relations wants is their guests afraid to ride roller coasters at their park because something happened to one of them. Soooo.... They said that there was a public outcry (and don't get me wrong, there were people that were upset) which is what 'saved' Whizzer...
coastrcorey

Postby coasterzak on February 8th, 2003, 11:55 pm
So they probably would have covered up the accident on the Demon but too many people were affected and the guests all saw the train stop in the loop? Hmm... I wonder just how many parks do this with rides and we don't even know about it. Makes you wonder just how safe rides are.
coasterzak

Postby coasterguy on February 8th, 2003, 11:58 pm
Yea I wounder how safe Top Thrill Dragster is. I am sure it is probably pretty safe but 0-120 in 4 secs and 420ft tall?!?!? If one little thing goes wronge it could really nasty
16 Rides on TTD
10 in Front
4 in front at night
John kerry's got a big head
coasterguy

Postby T_Biggs on February 9th, 2003, 12:52 am
Yeah! I bet Top Thrill Dragster is going to have a life span of about 50 launches per train, then the wheels will start popping off, and once in a while a train will be shot into the lake. After 300 launches, the track itself will buckle and fall off. Of course, this will all be covered up by Cedar Point and Intamin. We all think the rides are safe, but it is very common for trains to break apart and kill half of the passengers. They just don't tell us... :roll:
T_Biggs

Postby TooTired on February 9th, 2003, 4:22 am
T_Biggs wrote:Yeah! I bet Top Thrill Dragster is going to have a life span of about 50 launches per train, then the wheels will start popping off, and once in a while a train will be shot into the lake. After 300 launches, the track itself will buckle and fall off. Of course, this will all be covered up by Cedar Point and Intamin. We all think the rides are safe, but it is very common for trains to break apart and kill half of the passengers. They just don't tell us... :roll:
I think he's trying to be sarcastic
TooTired

Postby coasterzak on February 9th, 2003, 12:08 pm
coasterguy wrote:Yea I wounder how safe Top Thrill Dragster is. I am sure it is probably pretty safe but 0-120 in 4 secs and 420ft tall?!?!? If one little thing goes wronge it could really nasty
What's the worst thing that could happen on the launch? It launches and doesn't make the tophat? Then it would come back down and be caught on the breaks, simple. I think that coaster is going to be very safe. Just look at Xcelerator. No one has died yet on that ride!! TTD is just a larger version with just a tophat. It's gonna be fine.
coasterzak

Postby coasterguy on February 9th, 2003, 12:43 pm
Ok your going 120 mph and a axle breaks then what would happen?
16 Rides on TTD
10 in Front
4 in front at night
John kerry's got a big head
coasterguy

Postby T_Biggs on February 9th, 2003, 7:54 pm
Probably not much more than what happend Demon. Demon I'm sure is much more brutal than TDD will ever be. The engineering of the rides is over 20 years different. Dragster is going to be much smoother, and not so many sudden changes that are very harsh on the parts of the ride. Demon, which got stuck in a loop because of a broken axel, is rough in a few places. Even though it is much slower, I'm sure the sudden and sometimes violent changes in direction put much more stress on the trains than Dragster will ever have to deal with.
T_Biggs

Postby coasterzak on February 11th, 2003, 5:16 pm
Yes I agree. If the axle breaks it's just going to come back down the hill at regular speed or slow down with the broken axle. In that case if it's really bad, they might have to shut down the coaster to take the train off but it wouldn't be a total catastrophe and most likely wouldn't happen.
coasterzak

Previous

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum