Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

The new Flash Pass system is terrible, in my opinion

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby CoasterGhoster on August 6th, 2022, 5:43 pm
I'm probably way behind the times, but how long has the Flash Pass system been a QR code app rather than the old pager system? I think I last used the flash pass maybe three years ago, and it was on the pager system I believe at that time.

I love roller coasters as does my son, and so ponied up for the Platinum pass for both of us for a visit today. On the app, certain rides would be completely unavailable to book a reservation for EXTENDED periods of time as the queue for flash passers was reportedly full. The Logger's Run was unavailable to book for at least 30 minutes at one point today...not because of maintenance issues, but because the queue was reportedly full. Why would I ever pay for a Platinum Flash Pass in the future if I'm effectively unable to book rides and get the reported 90% off wait time for multiple rides throughout the day? At various points almost every single ride was unavailable at one point (save Rue Le DOdge which was walk on anyway and Hangover).

As an aside, I was shocked by how poorly attended the park was (which made it all the more shocking that we couldnt book appointments for rides at will having paid the premium for a Platinum Fast Pass). I figured being one of the last Saturdays of the summer and with thunderstorms threatening for tomorrow, that the park would be packed. I wouldn't call it a ghost town but it was jaw dropping to me how few people were there. Multiple rides were walk-ons. I actually think having the fast pass slowed you down on Viper since there was no wait and they were still scanning your code if you were in the fast pass lane.

If attendance remains this low, the Platinum Pass is not worth it, in my opinion, at least not at current prices. You are better off getting one of the lower tiered Fast Passes and riding VIper or other walk-ons a few times. If you are effectively barred from making at will reservations, I don't know why anyone would pay the price for this in the future.

If they are trying to cater to people who are willing to pay a premium price for a better experience, they are doing an abysmal job, and I won't be making this mistake again in the future.
CoasterGhoster

Postby Jodon on August 6th, 2022, 7:18 pm
I agree with most of your sentiments. I was with some family and splurged for a Gold Flash Pass last Sunday and I was very frustrated that several rides were not available to reserve because the FP said they were closed when they were running. I do think it's ridiculous to have the FP "queue" full. Not sure what's that about. One other gripe I have is that even though you may have a FP, you still might be waiting 20+ minutes after checking in because Six Flags refuses to use groupers or the merge point to ride is extremely long (X-Flight, V2, Dark Knight). V2's and Viper's stations are too big to use efficiently without a grouper.

I do think the QR code on your phone is a significant improvement to the fob device they used to use. I hated waiting in that line to get the device. The new system is way easier. I will say we were debating between the Platinum and the Gold and we were happy we decided on the Gold. The price difference between the Gold and Platinum ($75) is way too much for the limited benefit.
Jodon

Postby CoasterGhoster on August 7th, 2022, 11:28 am
Yes, I agree, the moving away from the fob was not the issue for me; in fact, I think that was a good move and the system itself was easy and intuitive. The issue was having a "full queue" for many rides throughout the day.

If there are a lot of Flash passers interested in a ride at a particular time, then make the wait time for check in just a little bit longer! This isn't rocket science. Nothing is more frustrating than paying a premium for a premium experience and then having half of the rides unavailable either because of staffing or because the queue is full.

And as you pointed out, many of the rides that WERE available, you received no benefit from the Flash Pass at all (Viper, Rue Le Dodge, Demon, among others). And this was on a Saturday with 0% chance of precipitation!

The park is run by incompetents.
CoasterGhoster

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum