Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Why is Castaway Creek Down?

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby UnclePennybags on July 3rd, 2021, 3:46 am
I'm hearing Castaway Creek (CC) is down for maintenance issues, but I'm not hearing anything else. Anyone know how long it'll be down? With only six weeks left for daily operations in the waterpark, I'd be bummed if CC were down for five.
UnclePennybags

Postby sfgamnthemoon on July 3rd, 2021, 7:01 am
I thought Castaway Creek was down because of a shortage of lifeguards.
sfgamnthemoon

Postby ilrider on July 3rd, 2021, 12:26 pm
Bummer. I love the lazy river. We were at HH Rockford on Wednesday and their lazy river is running. Guess with the smaller park and shorter lazy river there they found enough lifeguards if that is indeed the issue.
ilrider

Postby UnclePennybags on July 3rd, 2021, 12:59 pm
Ouch, labor issues. Didn't think of that. Wonder if human resources will continue to be an issue for the rest of the summer.
UnclePennybags

Postby RobSFGAm on July 4th, 2021, 8:18 am
Yes it is a shortage os lifeguards and the lazy river takes 19-20 people (plus additional resources for coverage of breaks). Most single slides take 2 people (one dispatch, on at the bottom), so those 20 lifeguards would equal 10 slides of resources.
I like the lazy river as it is a really long ride and a good way to cool of for more than a few minutes like a slide, but I get where the park is coming from.
The first few week HH-C was open, the last river was open, but it was cold, 62-68 degrees so no one rode it.
Now that we are at the mid summer point for the water park, I doubt it will reopen this season.
RobSFGAm

Postby UnclePennybags on July 14th, 2021, 8:25 pm
Yep, all of you that said that staffing is the issue were correct. Maintenance is not the reason why this ride is down. I was in the waterpark today and spoke with multiple supervisors and they all said that they don't have enough lifeguards to run the ride.

The good news is that they just had another class of lifeguards complete their certification this week, and there are more coming. One supervisor said that it might be possible to get enough lifeguards certified by August 1 to get Castaway Creek operational.
UnclePennybags

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum