Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

SFGAm Now Open at 25% Capacity, Bridge Phase May 14th

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby ilrider on July 10th, 2020, 3:32 pm
anewman35 wrote:
ilrider wrote:
anewman35 wrote:HH opening July 20th for members/passholders, general public on July 27th.

To me though, the weirdest part is that they've appearanrly decided to call the Gurnee park 'Hurricane Harbor Chicago'. Which just seems confusing and stupid, in my opinion...

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/h ... s/2302425/

They did that because we now have two HHs in Illinois, Rockford and Chicago.

I understand that, but Gurnee isn't Chicago. Would be better in my opinion to call it 'Hurricane Harbor Gurnee' or 'Hurricane Harbor at Six Flags Great America' or something.

People outside the state consider our park in Chicago. On the reservation system they had it as Six Flags Great America and mentioned only HH was open, so SF did not even call it HH Chicago on the site.
ilrider

Postby anewman35 on July 10th, 2020, 3:45 pm
I highly doubt they're expecting a ton of people from outside the state to make a special trip just for the water park. If you have the choice between Rockford or Chicago, you'd think the was between Rockford and Chicago, not Gurnee. It's stupid.

Then again, this is the same park that at one point said something like 'Magic Waters is just down the road from Six Flags Great America', so their idea of geography is clearly very different from mine...
anewman35

Postby UnclePennybags on July 10th, 2020, 4:07 pm
ilrider wrote:I just made a reservation and it was very easy. Just had to enter one of our pass numbers, then indicate how many in our party, and choose the date and time. There is a reservation page you have to print or show on your device. Just one reservation page for the whole group.

Same here. No problems making a reservation.
UnclePennybags

Postby UnclePennybags on July 10th, 2020, 7:47 pm
DejaVu2001 wrote:Hurricane Bay will be open, but there will be NO waves due to COVID-19 restrictions
https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/a ... ricane-bay

This is a bummer. I was hoping that with fewer people in the park, there'd be more room at the deep end of the wave pool, hence more fun for me. I suppose with Monsoon Lagoon out of action, a waveless Hurricane Bay still has a purpose, but I'm still disappointed.

I guess as long as they don't shutdown Castaway Creek, I'll be OK. Looking forward to a day in cool water under a hot sun.
UnclePennybags

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 10th, 2020, 10:54 pm
UnclePennybags wrote:
DejaVu2001 wrote:Hurricane Bay will be open, but there will be NO waves due to COVID-19 restrictions
https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/a ... ricane-bay

This is a bummer. I was hoping that with fewer people in the park, there'd be more room at the deep end of the wave pool, hence more fun for me. I suppose with Monsoon Lagoon out of action, a waveless Hurricane Bay still has a purpose, but I'm still disappointed.

I guess as long as they don't shutdown Castaway Creek, I'll be OK. Looking forward to a day in cool water under a hot sun.
I’m actually surprised they haven’t announced Castaway Creek is closed. Raging Waves has thier lazy river closed because of guidelines according to thier website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby anewman35 on July 11th, 2020, 8:29 am
Here are the state Water Park requirements.

http://www.dph.illinois.gov/covid19/com ... guidelines

They specifically say waves are not ok in wave pools, but lazy rivers are - but they have to sanitize the tubes between uses, so I'm not exactly sure how they pull that off...
anewman35

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on July 11th, 2020, 3:01 pm
Probably would have considered visiting HH if the water coaster was open, but I have no desire to go without it. But I’ll give it a whirl when it’s open!
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby Porkchop23 on July 12th, 2020, 5:52 am
ilrider wrote:People outside the state consider our park in Chicago.

I live way out of state now. People outside the state consider everything in Illinois as in Chicago. It’s the only reference point that matters to them.

“You’re from Illinois? You from Chicago?”

Actually, Spring Valley. It’s about a 100 miles away from Chicago, out in the corn fields.

“Hey, this is my friend, he’s from Chicago.”

You could say you’re from Cairo, wouldn’t matter, you’re from Chicago.
Porkchop23

Postby ilrider on July 12th, 2020, 5:04 pm
Porkchop23 wrote:
ilrider wrote:People outside the state consider our park in Chicago.

I live way out of state now. People outside the state consider everything in Illinois as in Chicago. It’s the only reference point that matters to them.

“You’re from Illinois? You from Chicago?”

Actually, Spring Valley. It’s about a 100 miles away from Chicago, out in the corn fields.

“Hey, this is my friend, he’s from Chicago.”

You could say you’re from Cairo, wouldn’t matter, you’re from Chicago.

That’s the point I was making. Our park is in the Chicago area, so it’s in Chicago for all intents and purposes. Gurnee is not known to anyone but those who live up in the area or have happened to come to the park. There’s a reason SFSTL is called Six Flags St. Louis and not Six Flags Eureka.
ilrider

Postby UnclePennybags on July 13th, 2020, 12:56 pm
I got an interesting answer to a question I emailed Great America. The question was in regards to how my various season passes would be handled if the dry park didn't open this year. Surprisingly, they responded that if I didn't use my Season or Dining passes at all this year, they could be transferred in total to next year. Here's their reply:

"As you may know, if you do not want to visit during 2020 we can transfer your 2020 Season Pass and Dining to 2021. Since the Flash Passes can only be used in 2020, we can refund your All Season The Flash Pass since it cannot be used next season. Let me know if you are interested in this option."

So, if I *choose* to not go at all this year, my Season and Dining passes will expire December 31 of next year. In this scenario, their expiration is not based on when the water or dry parks open this year. Furthermore, the season Flash and Photo passes cannot be transferred, so I can immediately receive refunds for these items regardless of whether I attend the dry park this year.

As a side note, they will *not* be offering 2020 all-season tube rentals in Hurricane Harbor.

I'll send a follow-up request for confirmation. If this is all true, I just might bow out on the 2020 season and transfer what I can to next year.
UnclePennybags

Postby anewman35 on July 13th, 2020, 2:21 pm
From the update to the first post, they are using the main entrance. Will be curious to see if they use any of the amminities along the way.

Anybody have any idea what they're going to charge for single day tickets to the water park? I'm not going, just curious what they value it at (since it's normally not possible to buy tickets that way).
anewman35

Postby Carlo on July 13th, 2020, 3:02 pm
Does not look like they are selling daily tickets for hurricane harbor at Great America. Only passholders. When you make an reservation it only let's you select passholders option.
Carlo
Carlo

Postby anewman35 on July 13th, 2020, 6:08 pm
Carlo wrote:Does not look like they are selling daily tickets for hurricane harbor at Great America. Only passholders. When you make an reservation it only let's you select passholders option.

I assume it's coming though - July 20th through July 26th are listed as members and passholders preview, which implies that they'll allow single day tickets afterwards.
anewman35

Postby UnclePennybags on July 13th, 2020, 6:51 pm
UnclePennybags wrote:...if I *choose* to not go at all this year, my Season and Dining passes will expire December 31 of next year. In this scenario, their expiration is not based on when the water or dry parks open this year. Furthermore, the season Flash and Photo passes cannot be transferred, so I can immediately receive refunds for these items regardless of whether I attend the dry park this year.

Six Flags was very helpful today. If you contact them and state that you won't be going to the park in 2020 because of virus-related restrictions, they'll provide a confirmation number that you can redeem at a later date for 2021 passes. Very easy. No hassle.

I was looking forward to both the dry and water parks this year, but the dry might not open before the fall and even if it did, my All-Season FLASH pass would be wasted (cannot be transferred to next year). Alas, looks like I won't be seeing the park until September at the earliest.
UnclePennybags

Postby JT2002 on July 14th, 2020, 9:53 pm
something will happen hopefully
Last edited by JT2002 on July 17th, 2020, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby coasterfanatic on July 15th, 2020, 10:40 am
I’m placing bets now that the dry park won’t open at all. I just don’t see the governor budging on allowing it right now, especially with the concern of an increase in cases.

Did they say how they will handle members? I’ve still been paying monthly because I know they said they would upgrade you to the next level of membership? Will that upgrade go into 2021? If I pause payments will I still get the upgrade?

coasterfanatic

Postby UnclePennybags on July 15th, 2020, 1:45 pm
coasterfanatic wrote:Did they say how they will handle members? I’ve still been paying monthly because I know they said they would upgrade you to the next level of membership? Will that upgrade go into 2021? If I pause payments will I still get the upgrade?

Memberships didn't come up in my back and forth with Six Flags. I originally just wanted to know how my All-Season FLASH pass was going to be handled and they were the ones that offered to transition my 2020 passes to 2021 passes. I knew that they were already going to add X number of days to my 2020 passes based off of this year's park opening. I didn't think the dry park was going to open before Labor day, so pushing my passes to 2021 made more sense.

You should email them and state that you won't be going to the park this year, then ask them about options they're making available to members. Then come back here and let us all know what you find out.
UnclePennybags

Postby coasterfanatic on July 15th, 2020, 1:48 pm
Yes. I absolutely plan to email them and let you know.

Although, if the park does get approval to open, I’m not against going (not right when it opens) but I’ll assess the state of state and stuff at that time.

I’ll send an email off tonight to them. The only member benefit was upgrading 2020 members to next level (which they already did) and option to pause payments (which unsure if they nullifies the upgrade).

I’ll inquire though and report back. Do you have the email address handy?

coasterfanatic

Postby UnclePennybags on July 15th, 2020, 3:49 pm
coasterfanatic wrote:...I’ll inquire though and report back. Do you have the email address handy?

I just clicked on "Contact Us" at the bottom of the Six Flags Great America web page:

https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/p ... contact-us

For what you're asking, perhaps "Memberships" -> "I NEED TO SPEAK TO SOMEONE" would work.

I'm reticent to hand out the direct email address because it doesn't look right. For some reason, after going through the SFGAm contact link, I received responses from Hurricane Harbor in Arlington. In any case, I just checked if I could post an email address and it was filtered by this site, so just use the "Contact Us" link.

Good luck.
UnclePennybags

Postby coasterfanatic on July 15th, 2020, 3:52 pm
Gotcha. Thanks. Just asked because I know they aren’t always the best at responding.

coasterfanatic

Postby UnclePennybags on July 15th, 2020, 4:22 pm
Response time wasn't bad. I posted my question on July 10 and got a response on July 13.
UnclePennybags

Postby JT2002 on July 16th, 2020, 8:16 am
coasterfanatic wrote:I’m placing bets now that the dry park won’t open at all. I just don’t see the governor budging on allowing it right now, especially with the concern of an increase in cases.

Maybe since we're in a new zone it'll be different.
Last edited by JT2002 on July 17th, 2020, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JT2002

Postby coasterfanatic on July 16th, 2020, 8:45 am
What about The 27th?

coasterfanatic

Postby Carlo on July 16th, 2020, 11:22 am
Thats when both parks open to daily ticket holders.

Although right now you cannot buy a ticket to either parks on their website. For the Rockford location daily ticket holders can make a reservation but for the Great America location you cannot.

I wonder if they are not selling tickets because with the uptick in cases they may be forced to close again soon. If we go back to Phase 3, water parks would need to close again.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Carlo
Carlo

Postby coasterfanatic on July 16th, 2020, 11:23 am
Only water parks are opening! JB has not given approval to open the dry park!

coasterfanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum