Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

SFGAm Now Open at 25% Capacity, Bridge Phase May 14th

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby coasterfanatic on August 28th, 2020, 9:43 pm
True. Nothing has been officially announced by the park. But from what I’ve been told. The park will begin sending employees home after the Sept. 7 because they aren’t planning on opening.

Stuff could change but it sounds like they don’t think it would be worth it to just open for a month or two. (Should they get approval)

I don’t think the drive-thru option has been discussed. They are preparing to “end the season” on Sept. 7th.

Again, I’m not saying this is for certain but it’s what I’ve heard and obviously stuff is subject to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coasterfanatic

Postby JimPanky on September 3rd, 2020, 10:01 am
At this point it does seem most likely our season is at an end. (I work Weekends)
I did get to Hurricane Harbor once and I went to Magic Waters in Rockford which is the first time I've used my membership away from my Great America home park.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk
JimPanky

Postby B&MGuy35 on September 3rd, 2020, 10:06 am
JimPanky wrote:At this point it does seem most likely our season is at an end. (I work Weekends)
I did get to Hurricane Harbor once and I went to Magic Waters in Rockford which is the first time I've used my membership away from my Great America home park.

I think you may be right.
Oh well
I went to St. Louis and I may head to Fiesta Texas and over Texas in October.
I have a Cedar Fair pass so I was able to get to cedar point 3 times kings island 4 times and worlds of fun twice so I thankfully was able to get my coaster fix in for the season. But I miss my home park and it sucks that it was never able to open but I also understand.

B&MGuy35

Postby CoasterRiderSC on September 3rd, 2020, 2:56 pm
I went to Six Flags STL 1x and Kings Island (2 trips, for 3 total days there). But I miss our home park as well.
I'm really hoping they open for a normal HITP, especially considering my birthday is in December and this year it's a multiple of 10 for me!
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby gottastrata33 on September 4th, 2020, 3:19 pm
I miss the park so much, I just gave my bf an entire rundown of all the attractions we've gotten since 2005 with a description & pictures. He was about to fall asleep. Walking. Lol
gottastrata33

Postby DejaVu2001 on September 7th, 2020, 7:29 pm
UPDATE September 7th
Hurricane Harbor is now closed for the season. Great America still has not received approval to open the theme park, but they are still trying to get approval to open.

Unfortunately, I just don't see that happening. I really think Pritzker was close to letting them open but once other factors caused the numbers to spike, game over.
DejaVu2001

Postby DejaVu2001 on October 13th, 2020, 4:25 pm
"Six Flags Great America return in 2020 'unlikely,' health officials say"

https://www.dailyherald.com/entlife/202 ... 1kyRwn9ZOk

The latest non-update. I really don't get it at this point. Dining indoors is fine, movie theaters indoors are fine, water parks are fine despite the fact that you literally cannot wear masks in the water, and even strip clubs are fine (couldn't believe it when I read that one). But an outdoor theme park with masks mandatory everywhere is somehow just not possible. Give me a freakin' break :roll:
DejaVu2001

Postby coasterfanatic on October 13th, 2020, 5:37 pm
It’s not really surprising.

The park reopening was always a part of Phase 5. And given that a large number of guests come from Wisconsin (which is currently at 18% with many not wearing masks) and that Lake County is on the warning level for more tighter restrictions, it makes sense that they wouldn’t give it the go ahead!

What’s the point of opening for only a few weeks anyways.

coasterfanatic

Postby coasterfanatic on October 14th, 2020, 6:53 pm
Marcus LaShock just posted on his Facebook that he has big Six Flags Great America news! Live at 4:45am on WGN-TV.

Hmmm. Could they be announcing Holiday in the Park and he’s just breaking the news tomorrow morning early before it goes public later in the day?

I can’t really imagine what else it would be. I’m probably getting my hopes up wayyyy to high but we shall see.

coasterfanatic

Postby coasterfanatic on October 14th, 2020, 7:08 pm
They all say page not found which I’m assuming means they go live tomorrow.

If it’s true, I’m surprised they wouldn’t try to go til New Years or into first week of January to get some additional attendance.

Of course, big question becomes what will this look like?! Will there be rides? Would the park have rides ready? Etc.

coasterfanatic

Postby staticshadows on October 14th, 2020, 7:19 pm
coasterfanatic wrote:They all say page not found!

https://sixflags.com/node/67491 through https://sixflags.com/node/67504 translated to the links in the above post, which means pages have been created in the background and we now know the schedule.
staticshadows

Postby coasterfanatic on October 14th, 2020, 7:22 pm
We shall see. Im assuming the news goes live tomorrow. Let’s see what Marcus says!

coasterfanatic

Postby anewman35 on October 14th, 2020, 7:50 pm
coasterfanatic wrote:They all say page not found which I’m assuming means they go live tomorrow.

If it’s true, I’m surprised they wouldn’t try to go til New Years or into first week of January to get some additional attendance.

Of course, big question becomes what will this look like?! Will there be rides? Would the park have rides ready? Etc.

I really don't see the state changing their mind at this point given some of the factors listed above. As previously mentioned, I feel like rides were always the problem (since the state has allowed both zoos and water parks to open), so I bet it's just a Christmas thing with no rides...
anewman35

Postby coasterfanatic on October 14th, 2020, 7:54 pm
I agree! I assume a holiday event with no rides either.

Not even sure any of the rides would be ready to be open!

coasterfanatic

Postby B&MGuy35 on October 15th, 2020, 4:52 am
It’s official!
Holiday In The Park is happening!

Reservations start today at 8am!
Single day tickets $19.99 w/free parking
No rides, Just lights and shows

November 27th will be the first day of operation!

B&MGuy35

Postby DejaVu2001 on October 15th, 2020, 4:53 am
BREAKING NEWS

Six Flags Great America plans to open for a modified Holiday In The Park select dates November 27th - December 30th. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, there will be no rides open and no indoor shows. Reservations will be required.

Reservations will open at 8:00am TODAY. For anyone that does not have an active Season Pass or Membership, one day tickets will be available for $19.99
DejaVu2001

Postby DejaVu2001 on October 15th, 2020, 8:24 am
https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/e ... ark-lights

The event page is now up on the website, as well as the full schedule. Weekends November 27th through December 30th with daily operation December 19th through December 23rd. Hours are 4:00pm - 9:00pm.
DejaVu2001

Postby JimPanky on October 15th, 2020, 9:52 am
https://wgntv.com/podcasts/coastin-the- ... -november/

Marcus' WGN link on it.

I will say I rode Tractor Town at Bengstons Pumpkin Farm last night. There was no social distancing at all. The park was packed. They weren't enforcing masks although most were using them. Tiger Terror and indoor roller coaster at Safari Land is open. Grundy County Speedway was open this year and the numbers in their county soared once they re-opened. I don't know what the right answer is but I do see the inconsistencies Nolan does. Other smaller places operate with rides and other indoor and contact businesses operate but the state is very strict on Great America. Again I'm not saying which way to go, but I definitely agree the policies are not the same to all businesses. Whatever the state wants to do it shouldn't be different for different companies. If rides aren't allowed, don't allow them anywhere in the state. If they are allowed, then why not allow them at a large park with a reservation system plan and great resources? If rides aren't allowed then lap dances and massages shouldn't be either. Again I don't know this stuff well enough myself to say which is right or wrong. I am saying it should be across the board either way.

JimPanky

Postby gottastrata33 on October 15th, 2020, 10:59 am
They're emphasizing LIGHTS sooo - no rides correct? Just stay closed.
gottastrata33

Postby coasterfanatic on October 15th, 2020, 10:59 am
No rides!

coasterfanatic

Postby coasterfanatic on October 15th, 2020, 11:01 am
gottastrata33 wrote:They're emphasizing LIGHTS sooo - no rides correct? Just stay closed.
Price will be $20 for non pass holders/members. Free parking. No rides. No indoor shows.

Reservations required. Masks required and the whole 9 yards.

coasterfanatic

Postby launcher330 on October 15th, 2020, 11:30 am
So I paused my family's memberships back in the spring.
The pause goes to next Spring.
My memberships still show Active in the Six Flags app.
So can I go to this event using my paused membership?
Not seeing any details on that sort of thing.
launcher330

Postby DejaVu2001 on October 15th, 2020, 11:56 am
You can not use a paused membership. If you want to attend, you can contact the park and they will be able to manually unpause your membership.
DejaVu2001

Postby coasterfanatic on October 15th, 2020, 11:59 am
Yeah. You can’t use your membership if you aren’t paying for it.

coasterfanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum