SFGAmWorld.com
Untitled Document
Park Information
New for 2019
Ride Status
Latest News
Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

SFGAm Reopening April 24th at 25% Capacity

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby anewman35 on June 18th, 2020, 3:02 pm
Here's the problem with the 'open it up, it's my choice, you can stay home argument': Things open up. Some people go, some don't. Maybe some of the people who go get Covid. Those same people go to other places and interact with OTHER people who didn't go to a big gathering. Guess what? Now they have Covid, too. And so on.

Is Pritzker maybe being a little overly cautious? Sure. But look at what happening in a lot of states that didn't. I'll take a few more weeks of some things not being open over another outbreak.

Do I think Great America could probably open safely before phase 5? Yeah, probably. But I'm not an expert. Nobody here is. I'm going to trust the experts keeping us safe over the anybody on a message board any day
anewman35

 
Posts: 1353
Joined: January 17th, 2010, 5:04 pm

Postby onyxhotel08 on June 18th, 2020, 3:07 pm
anewman35 wrote:Here's the problem with the 'open it up, it's my choice, you can stay home argument': Things open up. Some people go, some don't. Maybe some of the people who go get Covid. Those same people go to other places and interact with OTHER people who didn't go to a big gathering. Guess what? Now they have Covid, too. And so on.

Is Pritzker maybe being a little overly cautious? Sure. But look at what happening in a lot of states that didn't. I'll take a few more weeks of some things not being open over another outbreak.

Do I think Great America could probably open safely before phase 5? Yeah, probably. But I'm not an expert. Nobody here is. I'm going to trust the experts keeping us safe over the anybody in a message board any day


Neither is he or his team. Every single prediction that was made turned out to be false. You have to at least TRY something else. Hiding under the covers is not the answer. You can get infected going to the grocery store. You will never be completely safe from everything. States and countries worldwide are starting to at least try different methods. IL should be doing the same thing.
12 Years with SFGAm World!
onyxhotel08

User avatar
 
Posts: 2821
Joined: March 6th, 2008, 2:59 pm

Postby anewman35 on June 18th, 2020, 3:29 pm
Illinois has a reopening plan and they're sticking to it. They opened for phase 3 a few weeks ago. They should be opening for phase 4 next week. Cases are going down. The plan is working. More and more stuff has been opening, and cases are still going down. I don't see how that can be considered anything other than a success. Again, we're going slower than some other states, but we're also doing better than most other states, so there's probably a connection there.

Yes, it is a little vague what happens past phase 4. I expect they'll see how that goes and then start to open more stuff as time goes on. Why wouldn't they? Why do you think anybody has any interest in keeping anything closed longer than they think is medically necessary?
anewman35

 
Posts: 1353
Joined: January 17th, 2010, 5:04 pm

Postby onyxhotel08 on June 18th, 2020, 3:50 pm
anewman35 wrote:Illinois has a reopening plan and they're sticking to it. They opened for phase 3 a few weeks ago. They should be opening for phase 4 next week. Cases are going down. The plan is working. More and more stuff has been opening, and cases are still going down. I don't see how that can be considered anything other than a success. Again, we're going slower than some other states, but we're also doing better than most other states, so there's probably a connection there.

Yes, it is a little vague what happens past phase 4. I expect they'll see how that goes and then start to open more stuff as time goes on. Why wouldn't they? Why do you think anybody has any interest in keeping anything closed longer than they think is medically necessary?


One week for a business that hasn't made money since mid-March is everything. There should not be anymore waiting. Those that tell a business to wait should put themselves in that owners place. The protocols are put in place. There is no need to wait any longer.
12 Years with SFGAm World!
onyxhotel08

User avatar
 
Posts: 2821
Joined: March 6th, 2008, 2:59 pm

Postby B&MGuy35 on June 18th, 2020, 3:55 pm
This is a touchy subject in my opinion. A park in Iowa has already had to close again because of infections. And look at all the restaurants and business’ closing again in Florida, California & Arizona.

I have a feeling things may be pushed even further. I’m heading to Kings Island, Holiday World & Fiesta Texas next month so I guess we will see how it’s going there.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

User avatar
 
Posts: 639
Joined: January 11th, 2012, 3:18 pm

Postby anewman35 on June 18th, 2020, 4:03 pm
It sucks. Nobody's gonna deny that. I wish there was an easy answer. But the virus doesn't care about your business or your rent or that you're bored or you miss seeing people. You open up too soon, it can explode again. Look at how the South is doing right now.

Some states (MOST states) are, in my opinion, letting business concerns be the main driver of how things open up. Illinois is focusing on health first. You can disagree about the reasonableness of that strategy (and you do, which is fine), but it's just disingenuous to act like there no strategy or that anybody WANTS businesses to fail. Like I said before, I'd rather businesses die than people.
anewman35

 
Posts: 1353
Joined: January 17th, 2010, 5:04 pm

Postby JackGlass on June 18th, 2020, 4:51 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:This is a touchy subject in my opinion. A park in Iowa has already had to close again because of infections. And look at all the restaurants and business’ closing again in Florida, California & Arizona.

I have a feeling things may be pushed even further. I’m heading to Kings Island, Holiday World & Fiesta Texas next month so I guess we will see how it’s going there.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Stay safe man. Sadly, this is a situation where there is only a bad and a worst solution.
JackGlass

User avatar
 
Posts: 437
Joined: July 29th, 2018, 2:37 am

Postby JT2002 on June 18th, 2020, 6:15 pm
JackGlass wrote:Can't Six Flags or any business get a loan from the Federal Government? It seems as if that stimulus money was created out of thin air, why not take advantage of it?

The park did receive some money from the CARES act I think (or from the state), enough to give each full time employee $5,000 which will be what they can do until the park reopens.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

User avatar
 
Posts: 273
Joined: June 8th, 2018, 5:53 pm
Location: Gurnee, IL

Postby JT2002 on June 18th, 2020, 6:35 pm
Everyone. You're not going to convince Onyx that his opinion is shortsighted or that Pritzker isn't the devil himself.If you don't respond, you don't get in an argument, and he goes on his merry way believing what he believes. In the USA you have a right to your opinion, and no matter how much he abuses his freedom of speech to the point of harassment, we still should respectfully disagree and move on even if he doesn't. :D
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

User avatar
 
Posts: 273
Joined: June 8th, 2018, 5:53 pm
Location: Gurnee, IL

Postby momlovescoasters on June 18th, 2020, 7:51 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:This is a touchy subject in my opinion. A park in Iowa has already had to close again because of infections. And look at all the restaurants and business’ closing again in Florida, California & Arizona.

I have a feeling things may be pushed even further. I’m heading to Kings Island, Holiday World & Fiesta Texas next month so I guess we will see how it’s going there.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I can’t speak for CA or AZ, but I live in South Florida now. They are not closing restaurants or backing down at all. Even though we’ve had a spike, the Governor has pledged to keep all business open. Our state is 100% hospitality and people can not afford another shut down. Disney and Busch Gardens are both open. Water parks, zoos and camps are open. If you are elderly or immune compromised, stay home. If not, go out and live your life.
momlovescoasters

 
Posts: 57
Joined: August 17th, 2016, 7:41 am

Postby B&MGuy35 on June 18th, 2020, 11:19 pm
momlovescoasters wrote:
B&MGuy35 wrote:This is a touchy subject in my opinion. A park in Iowa has already had to close again because of infections. And look at all the restaurants and business’ closing again in Florida, California & Arizona.

I have a feeling things may be pushed even further. I’m heading to Kings Island, Holiday World & Fiesta Texas next month so I guess we will see how it’s going there.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I can’t speak for CA or AZ, but I live in South Florida now. They are not closing restaurants or backing down at all. Even though we’ve had a spike, the Governor has pledged to keep all business open. Our state is 100% hospitality and people can not afford another shut down. Disney and Busch Gardens are both open. Water parks, zoos and camps are open. If you are elderly or immune compromised, stay home. If not, go out and live your life.
Only Disney Springs is open.
The parks don’t open till the middle of July
And Tampa just mandated mask wearing when out in public today because cases are increasing so much and bars and restaurants have had to close again. You may not see it now where you are in Florida but if it continues I most certainly see Disney delaying their opening too.

Unfortunately the country never came down off the first wave all the way so things will only continue to get worse.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

User avatar
 
Posts: 639
Joined: January 11th, 2012, 3:18 pm

Postby JT2002 on June 19th, 2020, 12:17 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:
momlovescoasters wrote:
B&MGuy35 wrote:This is a touchy subject in my opinion. A park in Iowa has already had to close again because of infections. And look at all the restaurants and business’ closing again in Florida, California & Arizona.

I have a feeling things may be pushed even further. I’m heading to Kings Island, Holiday World & Fiesta Texas next month so I guess we will see how it’s going there.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I can’t speak for CA or AZ, but I live in South Florida now. They are not closing restaurants or backing down at all. Even though we’ve had a spike, the Governor has pledged to keep all business open. Our state is 100% hospitality and people can not afford another shut down. Disney and Busch Gardens are both open. Water parks, zoos and camps are open. If you are elderly or immune compromised, stay home. If not, go out and live your life.
Only Disney Springs is open.
The parks don’t open till the middle of July
And Tampa just mandated mask wearing when out in public today because cases are increasing so much and bars and restaurants have had to close again. You may not see it now where you are in Florida but if it continues I most certainly see Disney delaying their opening too.

Unfortunately the country never came down off the first wave all the way so things will only continue to get worse.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Illinois it is definitely going to be different. I don't think things will spike again for a while. The strain of coronavirus in Illinois is different (we got the one directly from China) than other states. Our version is said to be mutating to become weaker of a virus so it can live longer in us humans rather than kill us, so I don't think we need to be as cautious with reopening as some may think.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

User avatar
 
Posts: 273
Joined: June 8th, 2018, 5:53 pm
Location: Gurnee, IL

Postby anewman35 on June 19th, 2020, 12:34 pm
JT2002 wrote:In Illinois it is definitely going to be different. I don't think things will spike again for a while. The strain of coronavirus in Illinois is different (we got the one directly from China) than other states. Our version is said to be mutating to become weaker of a virus so it can live longer in us humans rather than kill us, so I don't think we need to be as cautious with reopening as some may think.


I don't think there's particularly strong scientific evidence of the mutating thing yet, and even if there is, the fact that people in this country travel would make me think the 'other' strain could come here at any time, so you don't want to count on that.

We'll be in Phase 4 next week, and Phase 5 will be months and months away (if not more). It seems likely that if cases continue to decline there will be additional relaxation of some of the restrictions, they're just not going to want to get ahead of themselves and start doing stuff all at once before making sure Phase 4 is working.
anewman35

 
Posts: 1353
Joined: January 17th, 2010, 5:04 pm

Postby JT2002 on June 20th, 2020, 7:02 pm
anewman35 wrote:
JT2002 wrote:In Illinois it is definitely going to be different. I don't think things will spike again for a while. The strain of coronavirus in Illinois is different (we got the one directly from China) than other states. Our version is said to be mutating to become weaker of a virus so it can live longer in us humans rather than kill us, so I don't think we need to be as cautious with reopening as some may think.


I don't think there's particularly strong scientific evidence of the mutating thing yet, and even if there is, the fact that people in this country travel would make me think the 'other' strain could come here at any time, so you don't want to count on that.

We'll be in Phase 4 next week, and Phase 5 will be months and months away (if not more). It seems likely that if cases continue to decline there will be additional relaxation of some of the restrictions, they're just not going to want to get ahead of themselves and start doing stuff all at once before making sure Phase 4 is working.


https://abc7chicago.com/health/study-fi ... x3KuujEdzk

Here's where I got the idea Chicago and surrounding area has a unique strain from China that may potentially be weaker, but it's true that we could also be exposed to other strains from across the country. That's science that's beyond me.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

User avatar
 
Posts: 273
Joined: June 8th, 2018, 5:53 pm
Location: Gurnee, IL

Postby JimPanky on June 22nd, 2020, 9:16 am
Have we heard anything further? It's sounding like Phase 5 which is very far away.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk
JimPanky

User avatar
 
Posts: 1012
Joined: March 12th, 2013, 7:55 pm
Location: Posen, IL

Postby Carlo on June 22nd, 2020, 12:22 pm
Looks like from the press release for phase 4. There is no mention of amusement parks.


Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Carlo
Carlo

User avatar
 
Posts: 582
Joined: July 14th, 2003, 8:18 pm
Location: Wheeling, IL

Postby anewman35 on June 22nd, 2020, 12:33 pm
Carlo wrote:Looks like from the press release for phase 4. There is no mention of amusement parks.


So I had this whole thing written up saying that it was probably a good thing for Six Flags that Zoos and Museums were included, because clearly that's over 50 people, so why not allow Amusement parks?

But then I read the actual rule:

Museums: Can reopen with no more than 25% occupancy, and with interactive exhibits and rides closed; guided tours should be limited to 50 people or fewer per group; museums should have a plan to limit congregation via advance ticket sales and timed ticketing; concessions permitted with restrictions.

Zoos: Can reopen with no more than 25% occupancy, and with interactive exhibits, indoor exhibits, and rides closed; guided tours should be limited to 50 people or fewer per group; zoos should have a plan to limit congregation via advance ticket sales and timed ticketing; concessions permitted with restrictions.


Seems like it would be hard to run an Amusement Park with rides closed, so...
anewman35

 
Posts: 1353
Joined: January 17th, 2010, 5:04 pm

Postby CoasterRiderSC on June 22nd, 2020, 2:20 pm
momlovescoasters wrote: If you are elderly or immune compromised, stay home. If not, go out and live your life.

^ AMEN 1000x!!

https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/

This is a great, all-encompassing article discussing the facts about corona virus. It's very detailed (and long) so if you're short on time, just read the summary points at the top. The article contains
"Fully referenced facts about Covid-19, provided by experts in the field, to help our readers make a realistic risk assessment."

It was done by an independent group in a neutral country (Switzerland).

P.S. No politics are contained in the article.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

User avatar
 
Posts: 976
Joined: August 4th, 2016, 1:20 pm
Location: Lake in the Hills, IL

Postby anewman35 on June 22nd, 2020, 5:42 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
momlovescoasters wrote: If you are elderly or immune compromised, stay home. If not, go out and live your life.

^ AMEN 1000x!!

https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/

This is a great, all-encompassing article discussing the facts about corona virus. It's very detailed (and long) so if you're short on time, just read the summary points at the top. The article contains
"Fully referenced facts about Covid-19, provided by experts in the field, to help our readers make a realistic risk assessment."

It was done by an independent group in a neutral country (Switzerland).

P.S. No politics are contained in the article.


Awfully convienent how every single 'fact' on this site says this isn't a big deal and we should all just go on with our lives. Almost like, despite being 'independent' and 'neutral', it still has a very slanted agenda.

Discussion of 'facts' like these is (in my opinion) still not on topic and just going to lead to fights. What matters for the park by opening (whish IS on topic) is what the Governor of Illinois thinks, not some biased site in Switzerland.
anewman35

 
Posts: 1353
Joined: January 17th, 2010, 5:04 pm

Postby JT2002 on June 22nd, 2020, 6:38 pm
https://dceocovid19resources.com/restor ... ecreation/

"Amusement parks, trampoline parks and indoor playgrounds should remain closed"
"Water parks and recreational swimming will be allowed to reopen in accordance with guidance published by IDPH"

So Hurricane Harbor can open?? * me.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

User avatar
 
Posts: 273
Joined: June 8th, 2018, 5:53 pm
Location: Gurnee, IL

Postby anewman35 on June 22nd, 2020, 7:20 pm
JT2002 wrote:https://dceocovid19resources.com/restore-illinois/restore-illinois-phase-4/indoor-and-outdoor-recreation/

"Amusement parks, trampoline parks and indoor playgrounds should remain closed"
"Water parks and recreational swimming will be allowed to reopen in accordance with guidance published by IDPH"

So Hurricane Harbor can open?? * me.


In related news: https://patch.com/illinois/yorkville/ra ... ng-phase-4
anewman35

 
Posts: 1353
Joined: January 17th, 2010, 5:04 pm

Postby JT2002 on June 28th, 2020, 3:40 pm
Employees were sent COVID 19 safety training videos yesterday. Possibly could be seeing an opening date soon? End of July maybe. Could just be in preparation tho
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

User avatar
 
Posts: 273
Joined: June 8th, 2018, 5:53 pm
Location: Gurnee, IL

Postby Carlo on June 28th, 2020, 4:10 pm
Well the water park can reopen with a capacity limt of 50 per a defined section. Wonder is that is going to be open soon.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Carlo
Carlo

User avatar
 
Posts: 582
Joined: July 14th, 2003, 8:18 pm
Location: Wheeling, IL

Postby CoasterNick3157 on June 28th, 2020, 6:13 pm
employees got emails sent to them about Hurricane Harbor can open now via phase 4 and the rockford park so expect harbor to reopen the date yet to be determined
CoasterNick3157

User avatar
 
Posts: 441
Joined: April 4th, 2008, 11:35 pm
Location: Yorkville, IL

Postby JT2002 on June 28th, 2020, 6:58 pm
I really really want to know the state's reasoning for letting the water park open and keeping the dry park close. What's the difference?????????????????? There are still lines, the water park is even smaller than the dry park but still big, how are we wearing masks while swimming. I wish they'd give a reason why they're being so strict, it seems they're pulling this out of their butts.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

User avatar
 
Posts: 273
Joined: June 8th, 2018, 5:53 pm
Location: Gurnee, IL

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests

Privacy Policy About Us Copyright Disclaimer E-Mail SFGAmWorld
COPYRIGHT - SFGAmWorld.com
All content and images on this site are Copyright 2001 - SFGAmWorld.com and may not be used without permission.
This is NOT the official site of Six Flags Great America, SFGAmWorld.com is not affilated or endorsed by Six Flags Great America.
SFGAmWorld.com does not make any guarantee on the accuracy of the information on this website and cannot be held responsible by the use of this information.
SIX FLAGS and all related indicia are trademarks of Six Flags Theme Parks Inc. ®, TM and © . The official Six Flags site can be found at SixFlags.com
BATMAN, SUPERMAN and all related characters and elements are trademarks of © DC Comics.
LOONEY TUNES and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and © Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.©
The Wiggles Pty Ltd. SCOOBY-DOO and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and © Hanna-Barbera.