Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

SFGAm Now Open at 25% Capacity, Bridge Phase May 14th

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby hook13 on July 16th, 2020, 11:25 am
UnclePennybags wrote:
UnclePennybags wrote:...if I *choose* to not go at all this year, my Season and Dining passes will expire December 31 of next year. In this scenario, their expiration is not based on when the water or dry parks open this year. Furthermore, the season Flash and Photo passes cannot be transferred, so I can immediately receive refunds for these items regardless of whether I attend the dry park this year.

Six Flags was very helpful today. If you contact them and state that you won't be going to the park in 2020 because of virus-related restrictions, they'll provide a confirmation number that you can redeem at a later date for 2021 passes. Very easy. No hassle.

Thanks for the info, quick call and my season 20 have been changed to voucher for next season (food and passes). Looking forward to next season, as we really miss the park but just don't see going this year.
hook13

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 16th, 2020, 12:22 pm
hook13 wrote:
UnclePennybags wrote:
UnclePennybags wrote:...if I *choose* to not go at all this year, my Season and Dining passes will expire December 31 of next year. In this scenario, their expiration is not based on when the water or dry parks open this year. Furthermore, the season Flash and Photo passes cannot be transferred, so I can immediately receive refunds for these items regardless of whether I attend the dry park this year.

Six Flags was very helpful today. If you contact them and state that you won't be going to the park in 2020 because of virus-related restrictions, they'll provide a confirmation number that you can redeem at a later date for 2021 passes. Very easy. No hassle.

Thanks for the info, quick call and my season 20 have been changed to voucher for next season (food and passes). Looking forward to next season, as we really miss the park but just don't see going this year.

Hook - did you call our park or an 800 number to Six Flags?

I sent in question via 'Contact Us' on 7/13 (still awaiting a response):
"Hello, I was wondering what will happen to our 2020 gold season passes if Great America (our home park) doesn't open up at all in 2020? Also, we did visit St. Louis park on 7/3. Will that cause our 2020 passes to expire earlier than if we had not visited there?"
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby JT2002 on July 16th, 2020, 9:22 pm
coasterfanatic wrote:Only water parks are opening! JB has not given approval to open the dry park!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be brutally honest, only Hank knows. Literally nothing is set and anything can change. I think the 27th is a target based on what state recommended to them specifically probably.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby anewman35 on July 16th, 2020, 9:43 pm
JT2002 wrote:
coasterfanatic wrote:Only water parks are opening! JB has not given approval to open the dry park!

To be brutally honest, only Hank knows. Literally nothing is set and anything can change. I think the 27th is a target based on what state recommended to them specifically probably.

Zero chance the state lets the dry park open this month. Not in two weeks, not with cases going up like they are.
anewman35

Postby coasterfanatic on July 16th, 2020, 9:44 pm
anewman35 wrote:
JT2002 wrote:

Zero chance the state lets the dry park open this month. Not in two weeks, not with cases going up like they are.
Agreed. JB would have made a public statement about allowing them to reopen like he did with water parks. I don’t believe they will open at all this year sadly.

coasterfanatic

Postby hook13 on July 16th, 2020, 11:05 pm
847 number, ..my dad is the only one with membership, they recommended pausing it, as they were not happy with their current solution and there may be something else available is how the phone rep worded it- So traded in 7 season passes and food plans for FY 21 passes/food plans, got an email right after confirming with a reference number to get new passes next season- Really happy with result/experience, nice gesture from the park- now if I could just do the same with my disneyland passes........

Hook - did you call our park or an 800 number to Six Flags?
hook13

Postby JT2002 on July 17th, 2020, 8:13 pm
Drove by park today, Superman was testing.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 18th, 2020, 12:48 am
So here’s my thinking
Again this is just my opinion and I have nothing to back this up.

Rides have been testing and the waterpark opens on Monday. Cases in lake county have dropped to the lowest they’ve been since March 23rd. Today’s cases were only 20, yesterday 64 and the day before 110. That 110 was a spike but hopefully they continue to fall. Hopefully now that the state has been split up more to control openings and closing more, the governor will start to open up areas that are doing well and one of those areas will be Lake County. I think they are getting the park ready to open and if they are given the word they can they will be able to do it then as soon as possible.

I’ll be at the waterpark on Monday
And at Rockford on Wednesday
It will be nice just to be inside the park honestly although I’m still a bit confused on what the exact policy is for mask wearing in the water park. So you are required to wear them but you can’t wear them in the water. So do you have to wear them while walking from attraction to attraction, cause then what do you do with them while you go on the attraction you’ve walked too? Does anyone know?

B&MGuy35

Postby coasterfanatic on July 18th, 2020, 12:51 am
B&MGuy35 wrote:So here’s my thinking

Rides have been testing and the waterpark opens on Monday. Cases in lake county have dropped to the lowest they’ve been since March 23rd. Today’s cases were only 20, yesterday 64 and the day before 110. That 110 was a spike but hopefully they continue to fall. Hopefully now that the state has been split up more to control openings and closing more, the governor will start to open up areas that are doing well and one of those areas will be Lake County. I think they are getting the park ready to open and if they are given the word they can they will be able to do it then as soon as possible.

It will be nice just to be inside the park honestly although I’m still a bit confused on what the exact policy is for mask wearing in the water park. So you are required to wear them but you can’t wear them in the water. So do you have to wear them while walking from attraction to attraction, cause then what do you do with them while you go on the attraction you’ve walked too? Does anyone know?

No doubt they are preparing to get it open, but I think the case count in both Chicago and Milwaukee will play heavily into the states decisions. After all, a lot of people from both of those cities visit the park. As well as from other parts of the Chicago and Milwaukee areas.

With recent spikes across the country, I don’t see JB giving them approval anytime soon. I still think the park will not open in 2020.

coasterfanatic

Postby JimPanky on July 18th, 2020, 10:20 am
Unfortunately, the theme park isn't any time soon. It is most likely in Phase 5 and/or next season.

At least we have the waterpark. I'll be interested to see when I go on Wednesday what the reopening is like.
JimPanky

Postby ilrider on July 18th, 2020, 10:53 am

We were wondering the same thing about when the masks have to be on. Obviously they cannot get wet on an attraction or they will not be effective anymore, so I don’t see how they can be mandatory when walking between attractions. I was hoping for more guidance from the park. Guess we will ask when we arrive.
ilrider

Postby Carlo on July 18th, 2020, 11:29 am
I am assuming they will follow the same rules as other waterparks in the area. You have to wear the masks when not participating in a water activity. So if you are heading to a water slide or the pool then no you would not have to have your mask on. But if you are going to the bathroom, changing room, shops or waiting in line at one of the food locations you are required to wear your mask. Also when entering the Waterpark and leaving the waterpark, you would need to have a mask on.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Carlo
Carlo

Postby JT2002 on July 18th, 2020, 5:30 pm

Right on! Idk why so many people are like "NO, it's not opening this year" "well mayb-" "NO. SHUT UP!"
JT2002

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 18th, 2020, 7:27 pm
Here's part of an email I got from Great Wolf Lodge, Mason, OH. We'll be there 3 days later this month:

"We wanted to make you aware of an important update to our Paw Pledge program before your upcoming visit. Starting on Monday, July 20, we will require all guests, ages 5 and older, to wear a face covering that fully covers their nose and mouth, and secures under their chin, while visiting our resorts. Guests are required to wear a face covering in all public areas of the resort except while dining, visiting outdoor areas were a physical distance of six feet is maintainable, or when actively enjoying the water park attractions. "

I would think both Hurricane Harbor parks would follow the same guidelines.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby coasterfanatic on July 18th, 2020, 7:30 pm
Hurricane Harbor will follow the guidelines set forth by the state of Illinois. Each state has its own set of guidelines.

Sure, those guidelines will be a basis, but if Illinois wants something different, then that’s what they have to follow.

coasterfanatic

Postby MrsTaxi on July 19th, 2020, 4:30 am
JT2002 wrote:

Right on! Idk why so many people are like "NO, it's not opening this year" "well mayb-" "NO. SHUT UP!"

The rumors I'm hearing is the park will open this year. Take that with a grain of salt. Hope it's true.
MrsTaxi

Postby JimPanky on July 19th, 2020, 10:48 am
I don't have a strong opinion either way but the State of Illinois Phase 4 Recreation Guidelines say, "Amusement parks, trampoline parks and indoor playgrounds should remain closed."

This means they are in Phase 5 and it is unlikely the dry park will be allowed to open this season by the state. I'm sure they want to and are trying to, I just think it is unlikely they will get approval.
JimPanky

Postby coasterfanatic on July 19th, 2020, 11:38 am
JimPanky wrote:I don't have a strong opinion either way but the State of Illinois Phase 4 Recreation Guidelines say, "Amusement parks, trampoline parks and indoor playgrounds should remain closed."

This means they are in Phase 5 and it is unlikely the dry park will be allowed to open this season by the state. I'm sure they want to and are trying to, I just think it is unlikely they will get approval.
Exactly. That’s the reason for my doubts.

The fact that there seems to be some movement in the dry park (testing of some rides, etc etc) could mean that maybe they are optimistic that JB will give them approval but I think it will be too late before that happens.

It’s a given that there won’t be a “Fright Fest”. They won’t spend the money on it. Even Cedar Point is just doing a fall event instead of Halloweekends.

If the park does open, many rides will still be closed and likely all the indoor rides too. With each day that goes by with them being not allowed to open, it becomes more likely that they won’t open at all.

coasterfanatic

Postby Carlo on July 19th, 2020, 12:01 pm
Also don't even know if they will even make money if they reopen. Many other parks have already cut their hours and reduced the number of days they are open because the demand is not their.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Carlo
Carlo

Postby anewman35 on July 19th, 2020, 11:16 pm
The point is that it's very much NOT up to the park if they want to open. As of now, the state won't let them, and they haven't given any indication they're even thinking of changing that, at least publicaly. None of the "rumors" mean anything unless they're coming from the state.

Is it possible Six Flags has some inside info about the state planning on making changes? I guess. But that it just seems unlikely to me, especially given the recent rise in cases (and I also don't really get why the state would be playing that game, if they have something to announce why not just announce it?

Here's a possible scenario (based on nothing but guesses) - the state told Six Flags that if everything with phase 4 went well, a month later they'd start to relax things a bit more, so the park could be ready. That would line up with some of the rumored dates, and the state might want to keep something like that quiet to avoid having to go and upset people by having to go take it back later. The thing is though, phase 4 hasn't been a complete disaster, but I don't think it's been going well enough to start going further. So if be surprised if anything changes as long as cases are hanging out around the 1,000 a day mark...
anewman35

Postby JT2002 on July 20th, 2020, 6:57 am
anewman35 wrote:The point is that it's very much NOT up to the park if they want to open. As of now, the state won't let them, and they haven't given any indication they're even thinking of changing that, at least publicaly. None of the "rumors" mean anything unless they're coming from the state.

Is it possible Six Flags has some inside info about the state planning on making changes? I guess. But that it just seems unlikely to me, especially given the recent rise in cases (and I also don't really get why the state would be playing that game, if they have something to announce why not just announce it?

Here's a possible scenario (based on nothing but guesses) - the state told Six Flags that if everything with phase 4 went well, a month later they'd start to relax things a bit more, so the park could be ready. That would line up with some of the rumored dates, and the state might want to keep something like that quiet to avoid having to go and upset people by having to go take it back later. The thing is though, phase 4 hasn't been a complete disaster, but I don't think it's been going well enough to start going further. So if be surprised if anything changes as long as cases are hanging out around the 1,000 a day mark...

Heard from good sources the state told park management they'd be willing to let the dry park open a week or two after the water park
JT2002

Postby anewman35 on July 20th, 2020, 9:10 am
I guess we'll see. That doesn't make a ton of sense though, since the state's stance has generally been 'wait a few weeks after a change to make sure it didn't cause any problems'. If they were willing to let the dry park open shortly after the water park (with cases not going down anymore) why not just let it open in Phase Four to begin with?
anewman35

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 20th, 2020, 10:46 am
---- question sent to Six Flags on 7/13 via 'Contact Us'
"Hello, I was wondering what will happen to our 2020 gold season passes if Great America (our home park) doesn't open up at all in 2020? Also, we did visit St. Louis park on 7/3. Will that cause our 2020 passes to expire earlier than if we had not visited there?"[/quote]

----- Here's their response from 7/19
"It's important to us that we provide you with all of the value you paid for. For each operating day that the park is closed during the 2020 Season, we will give you one additional operating day during the 2021 season. We will be providing bonus free friend days and special benefits this summer when we re-open to make up for the inconvenience. If you visit other Six Flags Parks, this will not effect your bonus days.

We will also have very special renewal offers on 2021 Season Passes just for 2020 Season Pass Holders to take into account the free days you receive. We're committed to ensuring that you receive a great value on both your 2020 and your 2021 Season Passes. We appreciate your commitment and loyalty to Six Flags!

We’d like to thank you for your business and continued support of Six Flags. We look forward to seeing you in the Parks soon!"

The bold emphasis is mine. I'm a little encouraged by their response.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby anewman35 on July 20th, 2020, 10:52 am
Not to burst your bubble, but I really wouldn't read too much into that bold text, it's almost identical to what's on the Coronavirus FAQ page for every Six Flags that hasn't reopened yet (i.e. Magic Mountain, New England). It's just them being optimistic, not necessarily a sign that they know for sure all these parks are opening this summer.
anewman35

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 20th, 2020, 11:55 am
Here's what Kings Island has on their site. I think this is good language that other parks should use as well.
Also, I made reservations for 7/26 and 7/27 and now their site says "No Reservations Required" !

"BY VISITING THE PARK, YOU VOLUNTARILY ASSUME ALL RISKS RELATED TO EXPOSURE TO COVID-19

We have taken enhanced health and safety measures - for you, our other guests, and our associates. You must follow all posted instructions while visiting the park. An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present. COVID-19 is an extremely contagious disease that can lead to severe illness and death. According to the CDC, senior citizens and guests with underlying medical conditions are especially vulnerable.

If you are exhibiting any COVID-19-related symptoms, you should not enter or remain in the park.

Help keep each other healthy."

CoasterRiderSC

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum