Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

SFGAm Now Open at 25% Capacity, Bridge Phase May 14th

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby anewman35 on June 28th, 2020, 8:35 pm
The state appears to be hung up on the idea of rides. Zoos and Museums are both allowed to open (with strict limits), but specifically with no rides.

And I don't know the science behind it, but I don't think Illinois is the only one doing it - California let San Diego Zoo open, but no Amusement parks so far. And Six Flags is specifically going to open Discovery Kingdom for animals only, no rides open.
Last edited by anewman35 on June 29th, 2020, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
anewman35

Postby RobSFGAm on June 28th, 2020, 10:28 pm
I would think it would take four week minimum to get HH open, what would be the point as they would only be open for 2-3 weeks daily, then two more weeks for the weekend? Seems like a lot do for 25% capacity which would be 2000 out of the 8000 allowed. Gurnee and Lake County school go back mid August, so they cannot extended the weekday past mid August easily since the water park (at any capacity) takes a lot of lifeguards.
RobSFGAm

Postby Carlo on June 28th, 2020, 10:29 pm
I think a lot has to do with the CDC not issuing any guidance for amusement parks. CDC issued guidance for pools and waterparks, but not amusement parks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Carlo
Carlo

Postby JT2002 on July 1st, 2020, 9:10 am
Update: Hank said don't count the dry park out for a late July opening.

Also, HH has an opening date but it's confidential rn.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby anewman35 on July 1st, 2020, 11:27 am
JT2002 wrote:Update: Hank said don't count the dry park out for a late July opening.

They've previously said it would take about a month to get the park open once they got permission, right? So I assume this mean they're expecting the state to give that very soon? Hmm...
anewman35

Postby DejaVu2001 on July 1st, 2020, 3:52 pm
https://www.dailyherald.com/entlife/202 ... his-summer

Six Flags has announced Six Flags Hurricane Harbor in Gurnee has received approval to open and an opening date will be announced soon. There is no news on Great America at this time.
DejaVu2001

Postby JT2002 on July 1st, 2020, 6:08 pm
anewman35 wrote:
JT2002 wrote:Update: Hank said don't count the dry park out for a late July opening.

They've previously said it would take about a month to get the park open once they got permission, right? So I assume this mean they're expecting the state to give that very soon? Hmm...

Currently landscaping and cleanup is underway
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby got2havefun on July 1st, 2020, 8:39 pm

Sounds like Hank is pretty confident the dry park will be opening soon!
got2havefun

Postby ilrider on July 2nd, 2020, 9:07 pm
Pritzker’s orders just got shot down in a downstate court today, so his restrictions are legally null and void. Time to open the park!
ilrider

Postby anewman35 on July 2nd, 2020, 9:15 pm
ilrider wrote:Pritzker’s orders just got shot down in a downstate court today, so his restrictions are legally null and void. Time to open the park!

The State will appeal. It'll probably go to the State Supreme Court, which will uphold it again. Any business who starts making plans to reopen until the Supreme Court weights in is wasting it's time and money.
anewman35

Postby JT2002 on July 3rd, 2020, 12:25 pm
ilrider wrote:Pritzker’s orders just got shot down in a downstate court today, so his restrictions are legally null and void. Time to open the park!

Lol downstate.
JT2002

Postby ilrider on July 3rd, 2020, 3:18 pm
^The order applies to the entire state. Why is that funny?
ilrider

Postby JT2002 on July 5th, 2020, 5:42 pm
It's funny because it was a downstate judge. Clay County Illinois. And I personally see it as another example of "we don't have to listen to the state government because you don't understand what it's like down here."

And it will be another example of higher courts overruling downstate judges

Regardless of the politics, the park already has a plan that's been set in motion and they're moving as fast as they can.
JT2002

Postby got2havefun on July 6th, 2020, 9:18 am
Are they working on building a main entrance directly into Hurricane Harbor? Or are they going to use existing Park Entrance and have it roped directly to the water park?
got2havefun

Postby JT2002 on July 6th, 2020, 2:32 pm
^Not sure yet, I think they'll be delaying that construction until next season. But I'd imagine when the Harbor opens they'll use the members entrance up front.

Also, We have water!!!
JT2002

Postby UnclePennybags on July 6th, 2020, 10:25 pm
Wow, sounds serious. If it were to open in the next 30 days, I would have expected communication of an opening date by now. The park is incurring costs by getting the park ready, so I wouldn't think they'd do so if they didn't have a reasonable expectation that the water and/or dry parks would open this summer. With that, I'd think they'd begin the process of providing updates to their customers.
UnclePennybags

Postby Carlo on July 6th, 2020, 10:43 pm
It was already announced that the water parks will open soon. No date was given but if I had to guess I would say July 18th. The theme park side i think they will get the ok after 28 days in phase 4 with no uptick in cases.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Carlo
Carlo

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 6th, 2020, 10:46 pm
got2havefun wrote:Are they working on building a main entrance directly into Hurricane Harbor? Or are they going to use existing Park Entrance and have it roped directly to the water park?
Last photo I saw of park back in March showed the parking lot entrance completely demolished. So I’m guessing they have to get that operational before they can open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby anewman35 on July 7th, 2020, 8:59 am
B&MGuy35 wrote:
got2havefun wrote:Are they working on building a main entrance directly into Hurricane Harbor? Or are they going to use existing Park Entrance and have it roped directly to the water park?
Last photo I saw of park back in March showed the parking lot entrance completely demolished. So I’m guessing they have to get that operational before they can open.

Or I wonder if it does make sense to use the main gate and have people go through the park - I would presume they could use some of the food, shops and restrooms along the way too (as long as no rides are open), might help with social distancing, etc?
anewman35

Postby anewman35 on July 7th, 2020, 4:51 pm
Santa's Village:

Dear Valued Guests:

Though Phase 4 of Governor Pritzker’s Restore Illinois plan does not allow us to open Santa’s Village, we are anxiously awaiting future guidance that may include the potential for it to open yet this season.

However, we are thrilled to announce that Santa Spring’s waterpark at Santa’s Village will be opening on July 14th, 2020.

Read More Here: https://bit.ly/31W1MKi
anewman35

Postby DejaVu2001 on July 9th, 2020, 10:33 am
Six Flags Great America has announced Hurricane Harbor Chicago will open for Season Passholders and Members July 20th - July 26th and everyone else starting July 27th. Operating hours will be 11:00am - 6:00pm. Reservations are required for all guests and can be made at http://www.sixflags.com/reserve

NOTE that all attractions in Riptide Bay (Surf Rider, Monsoon Lagoon, Wipeout, Mega Wedgie, and Dive Bomber) will NOT open in 2020 due to construction.

Hurricane Bay will be open, but there will be NO waves due to COVID-19 restrictions
https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/a ... ricane-bay

"Park Entrance Update: ALL guests will now enter through the Six Flags Great America main gate to get to Hurricane Harbor Chicago, for health screening purposes." This means even though the rides will remain closed for now, guests will walk through Carousel Plaza, Hometown Square, and Southwest Territory to reach the Hurricane Harbor entrance.

https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/s ... review2020
DejaVu2001

Postby anewman35 on July 9th, 2020, 12:56 pm
HH opening July 20th for members/passholders, general public on July 27th.

To me though, the weirdest part is that they've appearanrly decided to call the Gurnee park 'Hurricane Harbor Chicago'. Which just seems confusing and stupid, in my opinion...

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/h ... s/2302425/
anewman35

Postby Six Flags Fan on July 10th, 2020, 2:13 pm
Anyone else not able to make a reservation? I am a Diamond Elite member and I've tried entering in both my Membership Number and the order confirmation number but I keep getting Error 10.
Six Flags Fan

Postby ilrider on July 10th, 2020, 2:44 pm
anewman35 wrote:HH opening July 20th for members/passholders, general public on July 27th.

To me though, the weirdest part is that they've appearanrly decided to call the Gurnee park 'Hurricane Harbor Chicago'. Which just seems confusing and stupid, in my opinion...

They did that because we now have two HHs in Illinois, Rockford and Chicago. Why they said Chicago rather than Gurnee I don’t know, but guessing it’s because Chicago is where people outside the state or area say our park is. Heck, I tell people from other states I am from Chicago.

I just made a reservation and it was very easy. Just had to enter one of our pass numbers, then indicate how many in our party, and choose the date and time. There is a reservation page you have to print or show on your device. Just one reservation page for the whole group.
Last edited by ilrider on July 10th, 2020, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ilrider

Postby anewman35 on July 10th, 2020, 3:28 pm
ilrider wrote:
anewman35 wrote:HH opening July 20th for members/passholders, general public on July 27th.

They did that because we now have two HHs in Illinois, Rockford and Chicago.

I understand that, but Gurnee isn't Chicago. Would be better in my opinion to call it 'Hurricane Harbor Gurnee' or 'Hurricane Harbor at Six Flags Great America' or something.
anewman35

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum