Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Thoughts on the S&S Axis Coaster?

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby staticshadows on November 19th, 2019, 5:54 pm
What do you think about the S&S Axis Coaster concept and would you want to see one built at SFGAm?

Specs:
http://s-s.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Axis-Coaster.pdf

Videos:
S&S Promo:
https://youtu.be/uehCqnCRVDU

Marcus Leshock Interview:
https://youtu.be/5sTw2NKlfH8
staticshadows

Postby JackGlass on November 19th, 2019, 6:21 pm
I would love to see one come to Great America.

That thing looks absolutely insane
JackGlass

Postby CoasterNick3157 on November 19th, 2019, 10:11 pm
I'm betting one will be at our park in the next 4 years
CoasterNick3157

Postby UnclePennybags on November 20th, 2019, 2:30 am
staticshadows wrote:What do you think about the S&S Axis Coaster concept and would you want to see one built at SFGAm?

Looks a little gimmicky, but I'd like to see some other park install one to gauge its popularity and reliability. I wouldn't want to buy the first one from S&S.
UnclePennybags

Postby Sven18 on November 20th, 2019, 11:46 am
UnclePennybags wrote:
staticshadows wrote:What do you think about the S&S Axis Coaster concept and would you want to see one built at SFGAm?

Looks a little gimmicky, but I'd like to see some other park install one to gauge its popularity and reliability. I wouldn't want to buy the first one from S&S.

Gimmicky, which means Six Flags is licking their lips...lol. SF probably slightly regretting putting Free Spins at bigger parks like GAdv, SFGAM, etc... This is in the same genre, 4D axis ride. It would be weird to put them in the parks with Free Spins, but it's SF so...........it's a possibility.

The Top initial candidates likely the parks w/o Free Spins & top 1/2 of the chain parks, ie....MM & Over Georgia. This would be a good fit for Magic Mountain as they appeal to more of the the thrill crowd in SoCal. Over Georgia is in sequence for a coaster in 2021. If I were in charge, I would relocate GAm & GAdv Free Spins when they come up for new coasters & add these instead. This is a legit full coaster unlike Free Spins & is what big parks should get, even though the capacity is suspect. But, SF doesn't care about capacity.

My Axis coaster plan if running SF & using their clone strategy
2021 SFOG & SFFT(relocate free spin to STL)
2022 SFGAm(relocate free spin to Am or DL)
2023 SFMM & SFGAdv(relocate free spin Am or DL)

In General I think SF might start doing more relocations b/c with the Capex restraints & adding more parks to give something new to every year, it makes things easier. Also, some rides are not appreciated at big parks but would be at the lower tier parks...ie...SFFT last year on a busy day their 4D was 5 min wait ti walk on all day, while Wonder Woman & Iron Rattler were jammed.
Sven18

Postby Jodon on November 20th, 2019, 12:56 pm
The axis model looks great and I think it's different enough that parks wouldn't think twice about having an Axis coaster and a Free Spin.

Doesn't SF use SFFT as their test park where they get most or all of the recent prototypes? If so, I'd expect them to get the first one in the chain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jodon

Postby JackGlass on November 20th, 2019, 6:10 pm
New for Six Flags Great America in 2021. Wonder Woman: Axis Coaster! :lol:
JackGlass

Postby CoasterDave316 on November 20th, 2019, 6:36 pm
Sven18 wrote:
UnclePennybags wrote:

Gimmicky, which means Six Flags is licking their lips...lol. SF probably slightly regretting putting Free Spins at bigger parks like GAdv, SFGAM, etc... This is in the same genre, 4D axis ride. It would be weird to put them in the parks with Free Spins, but it's SF so...........it's a possibility.

The Top initial candidates likely the parks w/o Free Spins & top 1/2 of the chain parks, ie....MM & Over Georgia. This would be a good fit for Magic Mountain as they appeal to more of the the thrill crowd in SoCal. Over Georgia is in sequence for a coaster in 2021. If I were in charge, I would relocate GAm & GAdv Free Spins when they come up for new coasters & add these instead. This is a legit full coaster unlike Free Spins & is what big parks should get, even though the capacity is suspect. But, SF doesn't care about capacity.

My Axis coaster plan if running SF & using their clone strategy
2021 SFOG & SFFT(relocate free spin to STL)
2022 SFGAm(relocate free spin to Am or DL)
2023 SFMM & SFGAdv(relocate free spin Am or DL)

In General I think SF might start doing more relocations b/c with the Capex restraints & adding more parks to give something new to every year, it makes things easier. Also, some rides are not appreciated at big parks but would be at the lower tier parks...ie...SFFT last year on a busy day their 4D was 5 min wait ti walk on all day, while Wonder Woman & Iron Rattler were jammed.

Nothing about this post makes any sense at all. The free spins and the axis coasters look like completely different ride experiences. It's no more a gimmick coaster then a inverted coaster, flying coaster or 4d coaster.

It looks like a innovative new ride that would fit in great at SFGAm or any other theme park. I am looking forward to seeing where one of these ends up.
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby Sven18 on November 20th, 2019, 7:43 pm
CoasterDave316 wrote:Nothing about this post makes any sense at all. The free spins and the axis coasters look like completely different ride experiences. It's no more a gimmick coaster then a inverted coaster, flying coaster or 4d coaster.

It looks like a innovative new ride that would fit in great at SFGAm or any other theme park. I am looking forward to seeing where one of these ends up.

IT'S A 4D COASTER. They just aren't calling it what it actually is, an actual 4D like X2 is a an actual 4D, free flys are not true 4D.
Sven18

Postby CoasterRiderSC on November 21st, 2019, 3:56 pm
Looks very interesting. My concerns are:
1) Capacity - I would hope they make a 12 or 16 person train
2) Reliability - the trains doing inversions AND rotating around an axis just seem to be a mechanical nightware in terms of keeping the ride running. Add the air launch to this thing and you could have a recipe for the ride being down all the time (ala Deja Vu)
3) How tall and fast would they make these? The prototype they showed is like 50 feet tall (if that).

I also do see this ride being quite different than Free Spins (ie Joker) because you're rotating laterally and NOT front to back and the track itself will allow natural inversions. I would think a ride like this could be a big hit (if it's not down all the time!)
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby gottastrata33 on November 22nd, 2019, 3:50 am
I love It. I too think it has six flags all over it. I'd love one here. I see It completely different from what Joker is. I'm expressing opinions that have already been mentioned but I agree. Let's get one! Bet we'd get a deal already havin two S&S coasters haha
gottastrata33

Postby Sven18 on November 22nd, 2019, 11:32 am
CoasterRiderSC wrote:Looks very interesting. My concerns are:
1) Capacity - I would hope they make a 12 or 16 person train
2) Reliability - the trains doing inversions AND rotating around an axis just seem to be a mechanical nightware in terms of keeping the ride running. Add the air launch to this thing and you could have a recipe for the ride being down all the time (ala Deja Vu)
3) How tall and fast would they make these? The prototype they showed is like 50 feet tall (if that).

I also do see this ride being quite different than Free Spins (ie Joker) because you're rotating laterally and NOT front to back and the track itself will allow natural inversions. I would think a ride like this could be a big hit (if it's not down all the time!)

Concern 3 answered from the spec sheet---height 115ft & max speed 53mph
Sven18

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on December 30th, 2019, 11:49 pm
Axis coaster looks cool! Kinda like an arrow suspended, but not... You can definitely do different things with it, and I am all for it. Hope someone buys soon.
Sucker for a launch | Coaster Count: 502
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby staticshadows on November 14th, 2021, 1:17 pm
staticshadows

Postby FParker185 on November 14th, 2021, 3:48 pm
Ride time 36 seconds. if they can trim that down just a bit, SFGAm may go for it, would fit right on in
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby gottastrata33 on November 14th, 2021, 9:27 pm
FParker185 wrote:Ride time 36 seconds. if they can trim that down just a bit, SFGAm may go for it, would fit right on in

LOL you're horrible ;D I'd love to see this with some super whacky elements. Just make it an odd lookin thing.
gottastrata33

Postby Viper 88 on February 15th, 2022, 4:42 am
Meh not a fan not something everyone would want to ride not fluffy friendly Looks like crummy capacity as well and thats the last thing out park needs!
Viper 88

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum