Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

So...what ride will SFGAM remove next?

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby JackGlass on September 4th, 2019, 8:05 pm
I'm fairly certain that the next ride to go will be Buccaneer Battle

The ride doesn't draw crowds, even on busy days. I think it will be replaced with a custom single rail coaster and I think it will happen in 2021. Jim will want to leave his final mark on Great America before he retires and it makes total sense from a business standpoint to remove an unpopular attraction and replace it with something that's guaranteed to be a smash hit with the GP.

Buccaneer Battle would be a great fit at a park like Discovery Kingdom.
JackGlass

Postby JT2002 on September 4th, 2019, 10:04 pm
JackGlass wrote:I'm fairly certain that the next ride to go will be Buccaneer Battle

The ride doesn't draw crowds, even on busy days. I think it will be replaced with a custom single rail coaster and I think it will happen in 2021. Jim will want to leave his final mark on Great America before he retires and it makes total sense from a business standpoint to remove an unpopular attraction and replace it with something that's guaranteed to be a smash hit with the GP.

I think that from management and the company's perspective, there are more pressing needs than getting rid of Buccaneer Battle. I'm hoping they be creative with Battle's footprint because there's so many things they could put in there that would be better. I just can't wrap my head around a custom single rail, like I couldn't get behind RMC Eagle 2020. Kids rides revamp or Eagle retrack, something small, but will last a long time.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby IssaCoaster on September 6th, 2019, 2:37 am
JT2002 wrote:
JackGlass wrote:I'm fairly certain that the next ride to go will be Buccaneer Battle

I think that from management and the company's perspective, there are more pressing needs than getting rid of Buccaneer Battle. I'm hoping they be creative with Battle's footprint because there's so many things they could put in there that would be better. I just can't wrap my head around a custom single rail, like I couldn't get behind RMC Eagle 2020. Kids rides revamp or Eagle retrack, something small, but will last a long time.
Idk who said Eagle was getting retracked or redone for the 2020 season. We literally just got a coaster[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
IssaCoaster

Postby Coastermonkey61 on September 18th, 2019, 10:38 pm
I wonder if the park may look into a SFOG/Ninja-style refurb for Demon because of its history, mainly swapping out trains. I agree that there’s value to Demon as a family thrill coaster, but it rides so poorly that it’s a pretty hard sell to people.

I wonder what plot of land would fit a Giant/Giga Discovery assuming the height variance is okayed. Maybe Buccaneer Battle? I would assuredly think the Go Karts would work for a Discovery, but what about Dare Devil Dive? The park may not be willing to rid of a pay attraction like that, but if Revolution is gonna bite the dust with a Discovery addition, it would make sense to put the new ride in that area. But I have doubts the park will get a Discovery with the sheer size of it.
Coastermonkey61

Postby JackGlass on September 19th, 2019, 10:44 am
The head banging seems to be the biggest complaint from the GP. They like the Demon but hate the head banging.

Giving it the Blue Hawk treatment would probably be the best option.
JackGlass

Postby Coastermonkey61 on October 6th, 2019, 6:56 pm
With Vortex getting the ax at Kings Island, you wonder when the shelf life runs out for Demon. Vortex is bigger, but younger, and Kings Island is claiming service life for the removal. These Arrow loopers are starting to fall away. When does the cost of running/maintaining even a smaller one like Demon become too much to of a hassle for a ride that doesn’t garner a ton of attention from the public?

Like Vortex, Demon is on a PRIME spot of land.
Coastermonkey61

Postby jmanporty7 on October 7th, 2019, 8:57 am
Demon's plot of land isn't as much of prime land as Vortex plot of land. Demon is located on a long strip of land intertwined with the train track with no extra space to work with. Vortex plot of land is like 3x the size and has extra unused land off to the side. Six Flags would have to get very creative with Demon's land.
jmanporty7

Postby ChicagoCoasters on October 7th, 2019, 8:56 pm
Demon still is popular with guests yesterday Demon had an hour wait as did Superman and raging Bull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1.) Steel Vengeance 2.) Maverick 3.) Goliath (SFGAM) 4.) Top Thrill Dragster 5.) Mystic Timbers
Ragin Cajun and Iron Wolf went from Six Flags Great America to Six Flags America. I guess they weren't GREAT anymore.
ChicagoCoasters

Postby FParker185 on October 7th, 2019, 9:14 pm
Demon's plot is bigger than it looks, it gets grouped with, as it's connected to the empty spot where Hilltopper used to be, all the former queue, landscaping and game out front, Trailblazer spot and all the land around that, then all the way to the back of the arcade by SWT and empty space between Demon, Justice League/Eagle.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby Galvan on October 21st, 2019, 3:54 pm
FParker185 wrote:Demon's plot is bigger than it looks, it gets grouped with, as it's connected to the empty spot where Hilltopper used to be, all the former queue, landscaping and game out front, Trailblazer spot and all the land around that, then all the way to the back of the arcade by SWT and empty space between Demon, Justice League/Eagle.

Couple this with the plot of land that Battle has, The park has the spot for a massive ride or an entirely new territory if they so chose.

I agree with the Buccaneer Battle assessment, that thing has got to go.
Galvan

Postby CoasterNick3157 on October 21st, 2019, 9:16 pm
CoasterNick3157

Postby JackGlass on October 22nd, 2019, 4:16 am
CoasterNick3157 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FoKQFqjgIo&list=FL7udq7FMAxI0gwz2RYzFrVg&index=105&t=0s

:lol:
JackGlass

Postby Galvan on October 22nd, 2019, 8:50 am
Hey!

Thats me! :lol:
Galvan

Postby Coaster Justin on November 10th, 2019, 11:56 am
Holy Cow, Your Back!
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby CoasterRiderSC on November 11th, 2019, 12:10 pm
CoasterNick3157 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FoKQFqjgIo&list=FL7udq7FMAxI0gwz2RYzFrVg&index=105&t=0s

The ad/video that comes up after this one is the trailer for ShockWave! It says that Shockwave "is the tallest and fastest coaster in the WORLD!". I never knew that! Is that true for 1988 when it opened? i was 17 then but wasn't into following coasters like I do now.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterNick3157 on November 11th, 2019, 10:52 pm
At The Time It Was The Tallest maybe fastest
CoasterNick3157

Postby IssaCoaster on November 11th, 2019, 11:33 pm
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shockwa ... at_America)

It says it opened as the tallest and fastest looping rollercoaster with a record number of inversions.

IssaCoaster

Postby Chirojon on November 13th, 2019, 12:02 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:

The ad/video that comes up after this one is the trailer for ShockWave! It says that Shockwave "is the tallest and fastest coaster in the WORLD!". I never knew that! Is that true for 1988 when it opened? i was 17 then but wasn't into following coasters like I do now.

Yep, was a big deal at the time being the tallest... how times have changed!
Chirojon

Postby CoasterRiderSC on November 13th, 2019, 12:10 pm
IssaCoaster wrote:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shockwave_(Six_Flags_Great_America)

It says it opened as the tallest and fastest looping rollercoaster with a record number of inversions.

So there might have been taller and/or faster NON-looping coasters at the time?

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Chirojon on November 13th, 2019, 12:23 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
IssaCoaster wrote:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shockwave_(Six_Flags_Great_America)

So there might have been taller and/or faster NON-looping coasters at the time?

I don't think there was a taller non-looping coaster (someone can correct me on this though), either.
Chirojon

Postby JackGlass on November 13th, 2019, 2:43 pm
Moonsault Scramble was taller and it looped.

That was the first coaster to ever break the 200 foot height limit back in 1983. It was not Magnum XL 200.

https://rcdb.com/1292.htm
JackGlass

Postby Chirojon on November 13th, 2019, 4:39 pm
JackGlass wrote:Moonsault Scramble was taller and it looped.

That was the first coaster to ever break the 200 foot height limit back in 1983. It was not Magnum XL 200.

https://rcdb.com/1292.htm

Weird...I always thought shockwave was the tallest at the time... (this was what was put out there...hmm)

Was this one a boomerang type coaster that went over 200 feet? :shock:
Chirojon

Postby JackGlass on November 14th, 2019, 12:44 pm
It was a very strange roller coaster. Both Six Flags and Cedar Fair simply ignored it and declared their coasters to be the tallest in the world.... when they weren't lol

I do miss Shockwave though. I wish they would have put Superman where the Go-Karts and Space Shuttle America were and just left Shockwave SBNO until S&S was able to fix it up. I can't believe its been gone for 17 years now.
JackGlass

Postby Chirojon on November 14th, 2019, 12:47 pm
JackGlass wrote:It was a very strange roller coaster. Both Six Flags and Cedar Fair simply ignored it and declared their coasters to be the tallest in the world.... when they weren't lol

I do miss Shockwave though. I wish they would have put Superman where the Go-Karts and Space Shuttle America were and just left Shockwave SBNO until S&S was able to fix it up. I can't believe its been gone for 17 years now.

Same...I miss it too as it was quickly iconic for the park and entrance. SUF just doesn't look nearly as good as the Wave did in that spot.

Would have loved your idea above^
Chirojon

Postby CoasterRiderSC on November 15th, 2019, 12:01 pm
JackGlass wrote:It was a very strange roller coaster. Both Six Flags and Cedar Fair simply ignored it and declared their coasters to be the tallest in the world.... when they weren't lol

Some more info from Wikipedia

Height record
Considerable debate exists within the roller coaster enthusiast community whether the height record of Moonsault Scramble was, in fact, legitimate (and if it should, consequently, be given the hypercoaster designation).[citation needed] As shuttle roller coasters—by definition—do not make a complete circuit, the tallest points of these coasters typically have very few (if any) riders who experience these heights. For this reason, many roller coaster enthusiasts reserve height records for complete circuit roller coasters.[6] If these definitions are taken, the world's tallest roller coasters from 1983 until 1996 were Dragon Mountain, Magnum XL-200, Desperado, Pepsi Max Big One and finally Fujiyama.

CoasterRiderSC

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum