Rides
Show Guide
Hurricane Harbor
Park Information
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Tsunami Surge New for 2020

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby gottastrata33 on August 29th, 2019, 8:35 pm
Where does it say this is whitewater & not proslide?
gottastrata33

Postby ilrider on August 29th, 2019, 8:53 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:Where does it say this is whitewater & not proslide?

Whitewater uses the AquaLucent effects mentioned in the ride description. I cannot find that term being used by ProSlide anywhere. The only water coaster close to this height is Massiv, also made by Whitewater. It seems like a safe assumption.
ilrider

Postby gottastrata33 on August 29th, 2019, 9:07 pm
You’re right. I’m still hoping for proslide. I was assuming proslide cause of two things - all our slides currently are proslide but obv that CAN change just never thought it would & they used TR in the video. But it’s SF footage sooo it makes sense. Proslide is just *chefs kiss* wonderful lol They are so much better at these rides but ya frickin know what? It’s what I’ve been askin for at the water park sooo I cant Complain really. Im still excited.
gottastrata33

Postby ilrider on August 29th, 2019, 9:16 pm
^I love the Proslides too and wanted one, believe me. That is what I figured we would get. Wildebeest and Mammoth at Holiday World are incredible. I am just happy we are getting a water coaster.
ilrider

Postby staticshadows on August 29th, 2019, 9:26 pm
It looks like SFGAm, Hurricane Harbor Rockford, and Hurricane Harbor Arlington are Whitewater West projects. I think the other three water slide projects are ProSlide.
staticshadows

Postby ilrider on August 29th, 2019, 9:45 pm
^Yeah, the HHR slide has the AquaLucent effects too, so must be.
ilrider

Postby gottastrata33 on August 29th, 2019, 9:57 pm
With the land we're workin with here I think we can pretty much bet this will be it. Didn't realize how compact it was. Yay stairs. Lol

I dream of the 400ft "Great American SkyScreamer". x
gottastrata33

Postby anewman35 on August 29th, 2019, 10:20 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:With the land we're workin with here I think we can pretty much bet this will be it. Didn't realize how compact it was. Yay stairs. Lol

Assuming the ride is similar to Massiv (which does seem likely), here are some links about it that some might find interesting:

https://www.schlitterbahn.com/galveston ... er-blaster
https://schlitterbahnnews.com/2016/06/m ... t-and-faq/

(Weirdly, one page says single riders are allowed and another says they aren't, wonder if that changed at some point?)
anewman35

Postby gottastrata33 on August 29th, 2019, 11:59 pm
Wow I missed A LOT in this thread. I’m sorry I didnt Notice you guys already posted pics & an overlay of Massiv’s layout in that plot already. It’s gonna look so wild there. Did anyone see the opening photos of Massiv with the WORLDS TALLEST WATER COASTER banner on it? I totally see SFGAm creating a similar banner to display the record on the steps lol
gottastrata33

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 30th, 2019, 7:49 am
B&MGuy35 wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:^ No, I wasn't playing dumb about the name of Hurricane Force 5. I really didn't see a problem. As I mentioned there were at least 3 coasters in Japan with the name "Atomic" in them. If that's not politically incorrect, I really don't know what is!! But they were built in Japan.......

The reason the name was changed is because at the time of the 2018 announcement the news was non stop coverage of Hurricane Harvey as it was still occurring. The devastation from it was catastrophic. Why would the park then announce a ride named after a Hurricane in the midst of a natural disaster. OF COURSE THEY’RE GONNA CHANGE IT!

Rhetorical question: if Six Flags thought a ride with the word "Hurricane" was inappropriate in 2018, then why did they keep the name "Hurricane Harbor" for the entire waterpark when opening HH, the same year we got slammed by Hurricane Katrina: Hurricane Katrina was a Category 5 hurricane that made landfall on Florida and Louisiana in August 2005, causing catastrophic damage; particularly in the city of New Orleans and the surrounding areas

Hurricane Rita followed: Hurricane Rita was the fourth-most intense Atlantic hurricane ever recorded and the most intense tropical cyclone ever observed in the Gulf of Mexico.

Both of these hurricanes slammed the US in 2005. Should not have Six Flags renamed the waterpark to NOT include the word hurricane? What were they thinking??

Am I missing something??
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Jodon on August 30th, 2019, 8:38 am
It's all about timing. Hurricane Harbor is a fairly established brand. Hurricane Force 5 was going to be announced directly after a hurricane ravaged New Orleans. It would have looked incredibly insensitive. I don't think most people would have minded had they announced the Hurrican Force 5 name a few months later, but they decided to completely change the name.

Again, it's all about timing.
Jodon

Postby AirTimeDaz on August 30th, 2019, 9:52 am
UnclePennybags wrote:
coasterkidd100 wrote:If our water coaster is like the one at Six Flags Fiesta Texas we won't have to climb to the top. I am pretty sure the one in Fiesta Texas carries the raft with passengers already in it to the top of the slide kind of like how Loggers Run and Yankee Clipper do.

Like others have mentioned, it would've been nice if they'd done a simple rendering of what this ride is going to look like and its exact location in Riptide Bay.

I hope Tsunami Surge will have a lift hill. I have two memories of my one and only ride on Tornado: (1) getting a hemorrhoid from hauling that damned raft up three flights of stairs by myself, and (2) the queue was 20 minutes long and I had the hottest chick I've ever seen at the park in front of me the entire time (hmm, hemorrhoid, hot chick, hemorrhoid, hot chick...not sure if the two cancel each other out).

Anyhow, a lift hill would be nice.

this is hilarous!! you WIN!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AirTimeDaz

Postby gottastrata33 on August 30th, 2019, 12:33 pm
Hurricane Harbor was announced in 2004 & built early 2005 before Katrina hit. Hurricanes happen all the time but yes the worst one happened to hit the same year we built the water park & as mentioned, it's an already branded name that's been out for a while even at that time. However I don't understand why you see any confusion on them pulling a hurricane named attraction in the Mardi Gras/NO influenced section of the park. It's not tasteful cause even 14yrs later it's still being discussed. That's how bad we knew it was. There's a hurricane happening in FL right now. No one is not going to hurricane harbor cause of it. It's all about timing & placement.

Anyways. Tsunami Surge...
gottastrata33

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 30th, 2019, 12:54 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:Hurricane Harbor was announced in 2004 & built early 2005 before Katrina hit. Hurricanes happen all the time but yes the worst one happened to hit the same year we built the water park & as mentioned, it's an already branded name that's been out for a while even at that time. However I don't understand why you see any confusion on them pulling a hurricane named attraction in the Mardi Gras/NO influenced section of the park. It's not tasteful cause even 14yrs later it's still being discussed. That's how bad we knew it was. There's a hurricane happening in FL right now. No one is not going to hurricane harbor cause of it. It's all about timing & placement.

Anyways. Tsunami Surge...

I really don't know if general population realizes/knows that there is even a section of park called Orleans! I still don't quite get why Hurricane Force 5 is an insensitive/politically incorrect name for 1 RIDE but the entire waterpark can be named Hurricane Harbor the same year Katrina (and then Rita) wrecked parts of our country?

I think you're all assuming that people from New Orleans (affected by the hurricane) are coming to Orleans section. I suspect what's going on here is many are defending the name of HH because they love the waterpark and justifying its name.

Here's some 2004 data:The 2004 Atlantic hurricane season was a very deadly, destructive, and hyperactive Atlantic hurricane season, with over 3,200 deaths and more than $61 billion (2004 USD) in damage.

GIven that, is Hurricane really an appropriate name for ANY waterpark??

The reason I'm making this case is it seems like a total double standard!!
Last edited by CoasterRiderSC on August 30th, 2019, 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby DejaVu2001 on August 30th, 2019, 12:59 pm
^ Hurricane Harbor opened months BEFORE Hurricane Katrina. Why is this so difficult to understand :roll:
DejaVu2001

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 30th, 2019, 1:01 pm
DejaVu2001 wrote:^ Hurricane Harbor opened months BEFORE Hurricane Katrina. Why is this so difficult to understand :roll:

Here's some 2004 data (year HH was announced) :The 2004 Atlantic hurricane season was a very deadly, destructive, and hyperactive Atlantic hurricane season, with over 3,200 deaths and more than $61 billion (2004 USD) in damage.

GIven that, is Hurricane really an appropriate name for ANY waterpark??

The reason I'm making this case is it seems like a total double standard!!

My point is that Six Flags should have probably renamed it!!

CoasterRiderSC

Postby DejaVu2001 on August 30th, 2019, 1:11 pm
And there's tornadoes every year too. Is Tornado an inappropriate name for any ride? Rename everything, everything is offensive to everyone. :roll:
DejaVu2001

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 30th, 2019, 1:15 pm
DejaVu2001 wrote:And there's tornadoes every year too. Is Tornado an inappropriate name for any ride? Rename everything, everything is offensive to everyone. :roll:

That's my point. IF Hurricane is offensive as a ride name, it's definitely offensive as a waterpark name! Especially since 2004 was a deadly and brutal year of hurricanes with over 3200 people dying.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Chirojon on August 30th, 2019, 1:54 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
DejaVu2001 wrote:And there's tornadoes every year too. Is Tornado an inappropriate name for any ride? Rename everything, everything is offensive to everyone. :roll:

That's my point. IF Hurricane is offensive as a ride name, it's definitely offensive as a waterpark name! Especially since 2004 was a deadly and brutal year of hurricanes with over 3200 people dying.

I can answer that with ease - from then (2004?) until now, the world/this country has become much more sensitive to PC issues. The sensitivity to PC issues is directly increased (maybe exponentially lol) with each year that passed from 2000-2019. Look at sitcoms alone. You think The Office would fly even now if it was 'new'? They'd have to apologize after each episode.

Note, I'm saying this tongue-in-cheek (not really). It certainly wouldn't surprise me that it would have been easier to give the name Hurricane in a name circa a devastating event back then vs now, there is no doubt in my mind.
Chirojon

Postby B&MGuy35 on August 30th, 2019, 2:27 pm
I think everyone is missing the main point. At the time that Hurricane Force 5 would have been announced Texas and Louisiana was being ravaged by the rains of Harvey. Why would the anounce a ride named after a hurricane DURING a major storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 30th, 2019, 3:01 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:I think everyone is missing the main point. At the time that Hurricane Force 5 would have been announced Texas and Louisiana was being ravaged by the rains of Harvey. Why would the anounce a ride named after a hurricane DURING a major storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B&M - that clarification makes sense. Timing would have been terrible.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Coaster Justin on August 30th, 2019, 4:48 pm
2 Things:
- I hope we don't have to walk up stairs for this ride
- Will this take up parking spaces?
802 Coasters in 31 States and 9 Countries. Email me if you want to Know.

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby anewman35 on August 30th, 2019, 5:01 pm
I'm really not sure why we're reliving things from two years ago. But whatever.

1. Nobody usually has any problems with any natural disaster themed names (Hurricane, Tornado, Tsunami, Fire, Water, Earthquake, etc). Yes, they can sometimes kill people, but it's usually fine as long as it's not too specific or the victim of bad timing.

2. Problem number one that some people had with Hurricane Force 5 was specifically because it was in a New Orleans themed section, and the combination of New Orleans and Hurricanes brings up bad images for a lot of people. Many people wouldn't care, YOU might not care, but that doesn't mean that NOBODY cares.

3. That said, they probably still would have gone with it if it wasn't for reason #2, the timing. But as stated, there was a big Hurricane happening in the New Orleans area at exactly that time.

So probably because of #3, they held off on the name and when they finally did name it, they went with a different name (I'm guessing because once it leaked out that they were planning on Hurricane Force 5 they heard some feedback about #2 and decided it wasn't worth getting anybody upset, but I guess we'll never know).

Can we put this behind us now?
anewman35

Postby anewman35 on August 30th, 2019, 5:02 pm
Coaster Justin wrote:2 Things:
- I hope we don't have to walk up stairs for this ride
- Will this take up parking spaces?

If this is like Massiv, which seems likely, the answers seem likely that #1 we will and #2 it won't
anewman35

Postby JackGlass on August 30th, 2019, 5:13 pm
Hurricane Harbor needed a star attraction. This will definitely fill that void! I can't wait to see the concept art and if Six Flags will finally make a new Hurricane Harbor entrance at the front of the park.
JackGlass

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum