Rides
Show Guide
Hurricane Harbor
Park Information
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Tsunami Surge New for 2020

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby anewman35 on August 28th, 2019, 10:11 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:Not to belabor the point, but I still find it ironic that a great majority had an issue with a name of "Hurricane Force 5" (or whatever it was) but LOVE the name of Tsunami Surge! A Tsunami can do just as much damage and take lives as hurricane.......

I don't know if you're playing dumb or not, but the specific issue people had with Hurricane Force 5 was placing a Hurricane themed ride in a New Orleans themed area. I'm not aware that many people (if any) had any particular issue with natural disaster themed rides or areas in general. A generic Tsunami ride in a Hurricane themed area (that's not based on a particular city that had a recent disaster of the same type that killed many people) seems ok to me.
anewman35

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 28th, 2019, 10:12 pm
^ anewman - you make some excellent points, dude. Sorry if I sound like the spoiled brat kid who didn't get the "right" toy on Christmas morning. I should see HH as a real asset which can/does bring in more visitors and $$ for Six Flags. I will try this new water slide when I have the chance. It's a good thing for the HH fans and could help the park overall.

No, I wasn't playing dumb about the name of Hurricane Force 5. I really didn't see a problem. As I mentioned there were at least 3 coasters in Japan with the name "Atomic" in them. If that's not politically incorrect, I really don't know what is!! But they were built in Japan.......
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby SycoCoasterDad on August 28th, 2019, 10:26 pm
I can tell you that having spent two days at SFStL on a Friday and Saturday in July, and a midweek August day at SFA, in both cases the water park was WAY more crowded than the dry park. Granted there is just one gate admission that provides entry into both parts of the park at those locations (less cost prohibitive/more general.access), but the wave pool and lazy river at each was just about “bumper-to-bumper” and 45 min minimum wait for any slide, while coasters were almost all walk up to the station.
Without a doubt there’s a market for water parks and a demand to be met by adding, upgrading, and refreshing the water parks on a regular basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SycoCoasterDad

Postby jmanporty7 on August 28th, 2019, 10:29 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote: HH is almost redundant now that Magic Waters is part of the chain.

Im not looking to start something here... But I'm pretty sure the intention for Six Flags wasn't to buy MW as a replacement for HH, but rather just an extra revenue booster for the company as a whole.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
jmanporty7

Postby SycoCoasterDad on August 28th, 2019, 10:34 pm
I’d be willing to bet that the primary reason for taking over operations of MW was to increase the brand recognition in north central and north west IL and south central and south west WI. Essentially widening the geographic footprint beyond Chicago-Milwaukee Metro...get people to MW, get them to buy a pass or membership, and draw them to then visit Gurnee.
It was great for us. I am a very easy 1 hr 15 min drive to Gurnee, but if we just want a laid back water park day, it’s just 30 min to MW.

SycoCoasterDad

Postby JT2002 on August 28th, 2019, 11:09 pm
SycoCoasterDad wrote:I’d be willing to bet that the primary reason for taking over operations of MW was to increase the brand recognition in north central and north west IL and south central and south west WI. Essentially widening the geographic footprint beyond Chicago-Milwaukee Metro...get people to MW, get them to buy a pass or membership, and draw them to then visit Gurnee.

Imagine Six Flags buying up a big plot of land (or even bought out Mt. Olympus) in Wisconsin Dells. That would be A. a crazy, disney level thing to do, and B. definitely spreading their brand in the northern midwest.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby B&MGuy35 on August 28th, 2019, 11:41 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:^ No, I wasn't playing dumb about the name of Hurricane Force 5. I really didn't see a problem. As I mentioned there were at least 3 coasters in Japan with the name "Atomic" in them. If that's not politically incorrect, I really don't know what is!! But they were built in Japan.......

The reason the name was changed is because at the time of the 2018 announcement the news was non stop coverage of Hurricane Harvey as it was still occurring. The devastation from it was catastrophic. Why would the park then announce a ride named after a Hurricane in the midst of a natural disaster. OF COURSE THEY’RE GONNA CHANGE IT!
B&MGuy35

Postby coasterfanatic on August 29th, 2019, 1:30 am
The point about water parks generating more money could make sense. Could be why Six Flags is swooping up a lot of water parks lately

coasterfanatic

Postby SFGAM_Hog on August 29th, 2019, 4:29 am
I wish they would've made a rendering showing where it's being placed. Kinda disappointed we didn't get any other visuals except for Thunder Rapids footage.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby gottastrata33 on August 29th, 2019, 5:21 am
I expected more as well. Was hoping we'd see what it would truly look like. But we will know in 9months haha nah they're prob post some next month but don't expect too much.
gottastrata33

Postby RBullFan97 on August 29th, 2019, 5:39 am
I wasn't expecting a full blown animation like Maxx Force but just at least a rendering so we could see the placement and layout of the ride. We'll probably get it soon enough. Still sounds like a solid addition though, and will probably make me want to go to Hurricane Harbor more than the obligatory once a year.
SFGAm Ride Count 2017: 76
SFGAm Ride Count 2018: 286
SFGAm Ride Count 2019: 159 (So far)
RBullFan97

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 29th, 2019, 7:26 am
I apologize if I rained on anyone's parade for Tsunami. I hope the new water slide is a good addition to Harbor, and it brings in more revenue for Six Flags.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby coasterfanatic on August 29th, 2019, 10:21 am
Wow. So Magic Waters to be rebranded. Lots of water parks to get additions this year. Only two coasters (a wild mouse spinning coaster and single rail). No superloops. No SkyScramers. A couple more Giant Discovery’s too. Interesting year. And yes. Nothing for Magic mountain or Frontier City.

coasterfanatic

Postby JT2002 on August 29th, 2019, 11:22 am
St. Louis is getting a Funtime Booster? That's a roadside attraction, not a theme park thrill ride. It's probably 6 flags next clone though..
JT2002

Postby ChiefBeef234 on August 29th, 2019, 12:22 pm
JT2002 wrote:St. Louis is getting a Funtime Booster? That's a roadside attraction, not a theme park thrill ride. It's probably 6 flags next clone though..
The model St Louis is getting is Zamperla I believe and can hold 8 people per arm so 16 total. They already confirmed it won't be an upcharge

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
ChiefBeef234

Postby great america fan on August 29th, 2019, 12:44 pm
looks like a solid addition. anyone else notices that our last three additions have been record holders. (evan if just obscure ones)
great america fan

Postby gottastrata33 on August 29th, 2019, 12:51 pm
Ok so even though this was made too early, will this be the official discussion thread for Tsunami Surge?

So many water park additions this year. Kinda wild. Are they adding more massive additions next year perhaps? Also again, I really Did expect more of a custom announcement. Seeing it is a record breaker. But that's a lot of animations from that guy through both CF & SF haha. Again, maybe we will see more later. Ya never know.

I'm thrilled about this addition. Our water park really is great. For those of you who haven't been, give it a chance. It's honestly nice, well done & very well rounded. So this addition is a cherry on top of a great line up.
gottastrata33

Postby JackGlass on August 29th, 2019, 12:54 pm
coasterfanatic wrote:Wow. So Magic Waters to be rebranded. Lots of water parks to get additions this year. Only two coasters (a wild mouse spinning coaster and single rail). No superloops. No SkyScramers. A couple more Giant Discovery’s too. Interesting year. And yes. Nothing for Magic mountain or Frontier City.

I'm pretty sure we're witnessing a return to the pre-2011 strategy. Six Flags keeps adding parks that don't produce much revenue, yet refuses to increase their CAPEX formula. 9% (Only 60% which is used for new rides) is extremely low for 20+ parks

I think they're testing the waters this year, by not adding anything to Magic Mountain or Frontier City
JackGlass

Postby coasterfanatic on August 29th, 2019, 2:54 pm
JackGlass wrote:
coasterfanatic wrote:Wow. So Magic Waters to be rebranded. Lots of water parks to get additions this year. Only two coasters (a wild mouse spinning coaster and single rail). No superloops. No SkyScramers. A couple more Giant Discovery’s too. Interesting year. And yes. Nothing for Magic mountain or Frontier City.

I'm pretty sure we're witnessing a return to the pre-2011 strategy. Six Flags keeps adding parks that don't produce much revenue, yet refuses to increase their CAPEX formula. 9% (Only 60% which is used for new rides) is extremely low for 20+ parks

I think they're testing the waters this year, by not adding anything to Magic Mountain or Frontier City

I think the only reason they aren’t adding to Magic Mountain is because of the delays to West Coast Racers.

Plus last year, none of the new water parks got any new additions. Yet JRA still said “Soemthing new in every park.”

coasterfanatic

Postby JT2002 on August 29th, 2019, 3:17 pm
great america fan wrote:looks like a solid addition. anyone else notices that our last three additions have been record holders. (evan if just obscure ones)

Hank likes breaking records.
JT2002

Postby ilrider on August 29th, 2019, 4:34 pm
Watching the Massiv POV I realized we have to climb to the top to get started. I am honestly going to be freaked out climbing stairs that high. No problem strapped in a coaster, but free, looking over stair railings is different for me. I hope I can do it, because I love water coasters, but the 3 I have been on had lift hills. Just won’t look down I guess. lol
ilrider

Postby coasterkidd100 on August 29th, 2019, 4:37 pm
If our water coaster is like the one at Six Flags Fiesta Texas we won't have to climb to the top. I am pretty sure the one in Fiesta Texas carries the raft with passengers already in it to the top of the slide kind of like how Loggers Run and Yankee Clipper do.
coasterkidd100

Postby UnclePennybags on August 29th, 2019, 6:17 pm
coasterkidd100 wrote:If our water coaster is like the one at Six Flags Fiesta Texas we won't have to climb to the top. I am pretty sure the one in Fiesta Texas carries the raft with passengers already in it to the top of the slide kind of like how Loggers Run and Yankee Clipper do.

Like others have mentioned, it would've been nice if they'd done a simple rendering of what this ride is going to look like and its exact location in Riptide Bay.

I hope Tsunami Surge will have a lift hill. I have two memories of my one and only ride on Tornado: (1) getting a hemorrhoid from hauling that damned raft up three flights of stairs by myself, and (2) the queue was 20 minutes long and I had the hottest chick I've ever seen at the park in front of me the entire time (hmm, hemorrhoid, hot chick, hemorrhoid, hot chick...not sure if the two cancel each other out).

Anyhow, a lift hill would be nice.
Last edited by UnclePennybags on August 29th, 2019, 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UnclePennybags

Postby ilrider on August 29th, 2019, 6:44 pm
coasterkidd100 wrote:If our water coaster is like the one at Six Flags Fiesta Texas we won't have to climb to the top. I am pretty sure the one in Fiesta Texas carries the raft with passengers already in it to the top of the slide kind of like how Loggers Run and Yankee Clipper do.

That’s a Proslide though I think. This one is by Whitewater, like Massiv is, which is almost as tall. I assume if it is 86 feet high we are climbing, but I hope not. I don’t mind climbing stairs at all, I just mind the height after awhile.
ilrider

Postby B&MGuy35 on August 29th, 2019, 7:28 pm
UnclePennybags wrote:

Like others have mentioned, it would've been nice if they'd done a simple rendering of what this ride is going to look like and its exact location in Riptide Bay.

I hope Tsunami Surge will have a lift hill. I have two memories of my one and only ride on Tornado: (1) getting a hemorrhoid from hauling that damned raft up three flights of stairs by myself, and (2) the queue was 20 minutes long and I had the hottest chick I've ever seen at the park in line in front of me (hmm, hemorrhoid, hot chick, hemorrhoid, hot chick...not sure if the two cancel each other out).

Anyhow, a lift hill would be nice.

I’m very confused on how this caused you to get a hemorrhoid.....

Please know I’m just confused
NOT ASKING

B&MGuy35

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum