Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Tsunami Surge New for 2021

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby gottastrata33 on April 1st, 2021, 12:16 am
I saw those too. Still an interesting placement to me but I'm very excited for the addition.
gottastrata33

Postby RobSFGAm on April 1st, 2021, 7:31 am
In photo number three it looks like the Tsunami Surge support comes really close for MaxForce riders on the left side.
RobSFGAm

Postby anewman35 on April 1st, 2021, 8:23 am
RobSFGAm wrote:In photo number three it looks like the Tsunami Surge support comes really close for MaxForce riders on the left side.

Likely a perspective thing and it's not really that close...
anewman35

Postby gottastrata33 on April 1st, 2021, 8:49 pm
I mean they are hella close to one another. I'm actually surprised how it's fitting in, especially the catch pool right alongside the activity pool in Riptide Bay.
gottastrata33

Postby CoasterRiderSC on April 27th, 2021, 9:40 am
gottastrata33 wrote:I mean they are hella close to one another. I'm actually surprised how it's fitting in, especially the catch pool right alongside the activity pool in Riptide Bay.

It looks like the heartline roll on Maxx comes very close to the Tsunami track?? I'm wondering if any water will splash onto Maxx riders?
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on April 27th, 2021, 9:49 am
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
gottastrata33 wrote:I mean they are hella close to one another. I'm actually surprised how it's fitting in, especially the catch pool right alongside the activity pool in Riptide Bay.

It looks like the heartline roll on Maxx comes very close to the Tsunami track?? I'm wondering if any water will splash onto Maxx riders?

Disregard. It's a perspective issue. I watched Rob's video and from a different angle in Viper's queue they look a bit further apart.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby gottastrata33 on April 27th, 2021, 1:00 pm
No it really is crazy close. On ride it's a definite near miss that honestly adds to Maxx now. I posted an off-ride video of its interaction on Instagram @coaststocoasters if you wanna see it.
gottastrata33

Postby CoasterRiderSC on April 27th, 2021, 1:52 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:No it really is crazy close. On ride it's a definite near miss that honestly adds to Maxx now. I posted an off-ride video of its interaction on Instagram @coaststocoasters if you wanna see it.

I'm not on Telegram. Could you upload the video here?

CoasterRiderSC

Postby gottastrata33 on April 27th, 2021, 3:06 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
gottastrata33 wrote:No it really is crazy close. On ride it's a definite near miss that honestly adds to Maxx now. I posted an off-ride video of its interaction on Instagram @coaststocoasters if you wanna see it.

LOL sorry but telegram made me laugh. Let me see if I can...
gottastrata33

Postby CoasterRiderSC on April 27th, 2021, 3:25 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:

LOL sorry but telegram made me laugh. Let me see if I can...

My bad. I read "Telegram" for some reason!!

CoasterRiderSC

Postby gottastrata33 on April 27th, 2021, 5:09 pm
It will not let me upload a video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I dream of the 400ft "Great American SkyScreamer". x
gottastrata33

Postby sfgamnthemoon on May 14th, 2021, 2:22 pm
The ride will apparently be opened for members and season pass holders when Hurricane harbor reopens.

https://www.sixflags.com/hurricaneharbo ... slide-time
sfgamnthemoon

Postby gottastrata33 on May 14th, 2021, 8:31 pm
"Exclusive slide time". Love that. Luckily, no one else wanted a similar attraction in 2020 or 2021 that could have opened before Tsunami to claim the title.
gottastrata33

Postby AirTimeDaz on May 25th, 2021, 11:28 am
Howdy all. Not sure if this video has been posted already but TS has been testing and looks pretty fun in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BMqLaLajzY

credit: Panic at the Dispatch
AirTimeDaz

Postby CoasterRiderSC on May 28th, 2021, 9:04 am
Stupid question: do they test Tsunami with water dummies before sending people?? The video says they're testing with people.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby SFGAM_Hog on May 28th, 2021, 10:28 am
Tsunami Surge looks like a great addition to Hurricane Harbor! It looks like a lot of fun! I’m not sure if I’d want to go on it when it’s 52 degrees though haha. https://youtu.be/xJ60f5tOXwQ

Credit - Marcus Leshock
SFGAM_Hog

Postby sfgamnthemoon on May 29th, 2021, 7:29 pm
Well, the ride is technically now open to everyone now
sfgamnthemoon

Postby Falcon on June 1st, 2021, 8:54 am
Anyone ride it over this chilly memorial day weekend?
Falcon

Postby ilrider on June 3rd, 2021, 4:13 pm
Falcon wrote:Anyone ride it over this chilly memorial day weekend?

One of my students who works as a lifeguard there got to test ride it and he called it scary.
ilrider

Postby ilrider on July 21st, 2021, 7:44 pm
Finally got on Tsunami Surge today. It is a lot of fun and a great addition to the water park. Good for young and old alike. I rode with my 9-year-old daughter. Very smooth except for a weird pothole at the bottom of the last drop that is not very comfortable that seemed to impact duos like us more than single riders. The singletons seemed to just glide right over it. The translucent lighting effects were cool.

You have to wait in line along the splash pool for a raft from the previous rider(s) before climbing the stairs, as there were not many rafts. It was fun watching some of the riders falling out of the raft and crash landing at the end (which did not happen to us).

As I expected, climbing 86 feet on stairs was not fun for me due to my fear of heights (unless I am on a coaster). By the time I was halfway up, I just kept looking up (don’t look down!) and was gripping the left stair rail tightly with the raft in my right hand. Once I reached the nice large platform at the top, I was fine and looked down a bit at rides on the dry side in the distance.

Have others gotten on it?
ilrider

Postby UnclePennybags on July 27th, 2021, 11:12 pm
ilrider wrote:Finally got on Tsunami Surge today. It is a lot of fun and a great addition to the water park. Good for young and old alike. I rode with my 9-year-old daughter. Very smooth except for a weird pothole at the bottom of the last drop that is not very comfortable that seemed to impact duos like us more than single riders. The singletons seemed to just glide right over it...Have others gotten on it?

Just rode it for the first time today. As soon as the waterpark opened at 10:55 AM, I made a beeline for Tsunami Surge and was surprised there were only two rafts ahead of me at 10:58 AM. However, by the time I walked up the fifth flight of stairs (there's nine in total), I was huffing and puffing enough that I let the guys behind me go past.

The ride was fun, but my back wasn't cooperating today, so it hurt a bit. Coming out of the first drop hurt the most. At this point, you've just dropped about 20 feet and for me, the compressive force on my spine was a bit too much. Same for one of the other drops, and also for the "pothole" at the end of the ride that ilrider had previously mentioned.

When I got off, I was surprised that a long ride queue had managed to form. This was at about 11:06 AM. So, if you ever want to ride Tsunami Surge, get in the ride queue before 11:00 AM and you should be able to avoid its long lines.
Last edited by UnclePennybags on August 3rd, 2021, 11:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
UnclePennybags

Postby Jodon on July 28th, 2021, 1:34 pm
I wonder if the pothole after the last drop is due to the water level in the pool being too low. When I rode it, the water line was well below the suggested water level that you can see on the end of the slide which caused a little dip to be visible near the end of the runout after the last drop.

As far as Tsunami Surge, I much preferred my rides on the two magnetic Pro-Slides (haven't been able to ride Cheetah Chase) at Holiday World for several reasons. First...the stairs. The stairs are awful. When I rode, there were at least 3 groups that got stuck on the ride. So they had to evacuate, then hike up the stairs again. That's just not fun. Second, there were a lot of issues with rafts getting stuck on the ride which made our wait even longer. Third, the jets lose their energy by the time you get to the top of the hills, so instead of surge you feel going over the crests on Wildebeest or Mammoth, you sort of hope you have enough energy to make it over the top.

I'm happy the water park got a water coaster, but I don't have much desire to wait for it again any time soon.
Jodon

Postby ilrider on July 31st, 2021, 8:55 pm
^Oh yes, the ProSlides at Holiday World are a ton better. I also noticed how the rafts slowed a lot at the tops of the uphills on TS. While I never feared we would not make it, the LIMs on the HW slides are a much better and more fun uphill technology. Interesting theory on the pothole and water levels.

They seemed to have a lot more rafts inflated when we went to the park on Thursday, as many more people were on the stairs than when we rode it.
ilrider

Previous

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum