Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Is V2’s time at the park coming to an end

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Mr.EveryDaySFGA on July 2nd, 2019, 2:32 am
With Max force coming to the park I fully expect v2’s ride rate to dip since max force is a better launch coaster if six flags were to clear up v2’s land as well as yankee harbor this would leave them with about 100k sq ft this is not enough to make a giga coaster which six flags would never do post bankruptcy unless they really wanted to the average B&M giga is around 300k sq ft (this is based off of fury 325 and intimidator 305) so what could the park possibly put there a dive coaster could really put this park up the top but if so then that would still leave around 70-60k sq ft left in the park as Yukon striker is only around 30k sq ft feet if the park were to go this route I would like to see them open that part of the park up a bit the area where Batman and v2 are located seems very tight and as a person who as a kid got lost there I could have benefited from that area being bigger a golden lasso coaster could also be an option if six flags were looking to clone that ride the image shows the area that could be clearedImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Mr.EveryDaySFGA on July 2nd, 2019, 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.EveryDaySFGA

Postby ChiefBeef234 on July 2nd, 2019, 6:02 am
That side of the park is under the height restriction. No way the board would allow it. I don't know what everyone's obsession is with a giga, it's not happening. Six Flags isn't willing to invest that much into a giga (they cost way more then 300k? Probably 30-40 million) and our park has a height restriction making it very hard to build over 200 ft.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
ChiefBeef234

Postby Mr.EveryDaySFGA on July 2nd, 2019, 6:23 am
ChiefBeef234 wrote:That side of the park is under the height restriction. No way the board would allow it. I don't know what everyone's obsession is with a giga, it's not happening. Six Flags isn't willing to invest that much into a giga (they cost way more then 300k? Probably 30-40 million) and our park has a height restriction making it very hard to build over 200 ft.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

By 300k I meant square feet

Mr.EveryDaySFGA

Postby anewman35 on July 2nd, 2019, 7:38 am
It's really unclear if the Gurnee height restriction has really ever stopped anything, my understanding is that the park has never not gotten anything approved that they tried for (but it's always possible there are things we'll never know about that that they didn't try for because they didn't think it would go through...)
anewman35

Postby JackGlass on July 2nd, 2019, 9:30 am
Doubt it. V2 is still popular and it's alot different from Maxx Force.

As far as the flumes go, I doubt they're leaving. They just spruced them up last year.
JackGlass

Postby gottastrata33 on July 3rd, 2019, 2:08 am
We should take out superman cause it has a lift hill similar to Batman...

The logic of taking out a launch coaster cause a launch coaster is here for the first time again in almost two decades is foolish. They are very different rides, each offering something unique to the park. No.
gottastrata33

Postby coasterfanatic on July 3rd, 2019, 8:19 am
But the airport is in the way! They still can’t go over 300 feet because of the airport. The Sky Trek Tower I believe is only except but the FAA simply wouldn’t allow it anymore.

Plus...Six Flags doesn’t spend that type of money anymore. Maybe that will change with new CEO but don’t count on it.

coasterfanatic

Postby IssaCoaster on July 3rd, 2019, 11:41 am
In the spot with V2 and the flume rides, they could build a Skyrush type rollercoaster over there. It can definetly work. But I doubt anything is happening to these rides for a while. I suspect the otherside of the park to be where the action will be at.
IssaCoaster

Postby JT2002 on July 3rd, 2019, 6:02 pm
Honestly, I'd be more disappointed if the park was taking down the flumes rather than the Eagle or the Demon (ok maybe not Logger's Run, they rarely open it). The lines for the water rides in this park are consistently verrrryyyy long, and the serve an essential niche for cooling guests down on a day like today. I'd be interesting if they could remove v2, and build a new coaster/ride around the flumes.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 3rd, 2019, 6:26 pm
Instead of worrying about getting rid of Vertical Velocity, could we all agree to get rid of Buccaneer Battle? That is a big enough space for something else. Could we have 10 topics about getting rid of the flop of Buccaneer Battle instead?

Also, if the park wanted to take down the flumes (which I don't think they should), they could just take down the flumes and NOT Vertical Velocity. There is no reason for that huge space that the park couldn't just take down the flumes, and have the ride entrance at either the Yankee Clipper, or Logger's Run station. Looking at google maps, Yankee Clipper would be the better station for a roller coaster entrance. Logger's Run station could be bulldozed, and you put some sort of helix in that area. Vertical Velocity is in a very small space, and it's not even wide at all.

With the flumes, I don't really enjoy them. I think they are boring. If they got rid of them, I personally wouldn't care. However, I say that the park shouldn't get rid of them because people do ride them, and they need more water rides in the actual park than just Roaring Rapids. At least the flumes (even though boring to me) are much better than Buccaneer Battle. If the flumes had either scenes in the troughs before the lift hill (which could be cheaply made such as just fiberglass statues, or animatronics like Dudley Do Right or Splash Mountain), I would ride it, or the other way I would be more interested in riding the flumes is if in the troughs before the lifthills, their would be some sort of mini rapids. Kiddieland's version used to have these little water splashes that were somewhat fun to me. The flumes at Great America though, literally just scream to me; get me to the lifthill / drop as fast as possible with no fun at all.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby maxwellt on July 5th, 2019, 8:21 am
I feel that they will hold onto rides until they must go. V2 is still surprisingly holding up well. Do I think it's one of the next coasters to go? Yeah, I think so, but I think that with demon and American eagle (well, either a gci or rmc retrack). Why would they remove a ride like v2 now? If they relocated it, sure, but beyond that it's not goin anywhere for a while. Another thing to think about is there are two types of launches on launch coasters. The fast accelerated launches for super intensity, and more gradual ones that offer for a more "enjoyable" ride. V2 is gradual and Maxx is super fast. If CP isn't getting rid of their impulse because they have both ttd and Maverick, then we aren't getting rid of V2.

Now, when do I think V2 is getting the axe? Probably when the flumes are gonna get the axe.

It's clear the flumes aren't doing the best lately. If they get rid of that then there's a lot of land to construct a potential new coaster that could be really freaking good. The only problem is I feel that another log flume would be needed somewhere, those rides will always draw a crowd on hot days, and fits holes in our overall lineup. This is six flags we are talking about too, I don't think a giga, nor a skyrush type ride is coming (although a skyrush type ride would be amazing).

What I would think is cool is to keep v2, take out the two old flumes in favor for just one flume, and then you could have a bit of space for a coaster. I would say raptor, but those are such low capacity. Maybe a Trex that's similar to something like lightning run, compact and fast pace elements. The Trex could be 150', have airtime and have good pace. That I would love to see, and that could be a nice ride to add to an already great lineup. A dive coaster in that area would look super photogenic, but the ride I feel would be subpar gp eater, which wouldn't be the worst I guess. The only cons about these coaster types is I don't know how well of a gap they fill. If they build a new coaster, it's gotta fill in a gap, and idk how many more gaps we have.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk
maxwellt

Postby Falcon on July 5th, 2019, 9:43 am
I'd love to see them take that area and build a batman themed dark ride. Then you could re-theme Yankee Harbor into Gotham City. Sadly, there's no way they have the budget to construct an actual themed land and I found Battle for Metropolis to be very disappointing. So I doubt Six Flags has the talent to pull off a world class dark ride.
Falcon

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 5th, 2019, 10:37 am
After riding Maxx, I actually think V2 serves a new niche: Starter launch coaster! I told many people in lines yesterday that hadn't ridden Maxx or V2 to start off with V2!! They should get used to that launch first then work up to Maxx.

V2 is near the bottom of my list of coasters here but it does serve a purpose.

I am now thinking/hoping that Buccaneer Battle gets replaced by something like Poseidon , that fills 3 niches: family ride, coaster, water ride

https://rcdb.com/1891.htm

As for the flumes being "boring" I understand your thoughts. There's zero theming for them. Dollywood has an awesome log ride that's very themed! I do enjoy the flumes though for a nice relaxing ride. I prefer Yankee Clipper since it has a better drop and you get way more wet!
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby IssaCoaster on July 5th, 2019, 10:55 am
You guys know what? A ride like Lightning Run going into part of the spot with the flume rides would not be a bad idea. Lightning run only cost 7 million. That's perfect for Six flags. I would like them to get a stand out coaster, but I'm looking to RMC Eagle for that. And from what I heard, people like Lightning Run better than Storm Chaser.

Another idea would be Vekoma making something. They have been on a roll with their new attractions and have improved immensely. It wouldn't be a bad idea for Six flags to try them out either.
IssaCoaster

Postby coasterfanatic on July 5th, 2019, 11:00 am
I don’t believe that Six Flags will do business with Vekoma anymore after their DeJaVu fiasco! It’s amazing that company is still in business.

coasterfanatic

Postby staticshadows on July 5th, 2019, 11:40 am
coasterfanatic wrote:I don’t believe that Six Flags will do business with Vekoma anymore after their DeJaVu fiasco! It’s amazing that company is still in business.

Vekoma is owned by Sansei Technologies now, which is the same company that owns S&S. Vekoma is also RMC’s partner in Europe and has a deal to sell RMC coasters there.

The new Vekoma coasters look awesome.
staticshadows

Postby IssaCoaster on July 5th, 2019, 11:55 am
staticshadows wrote:
coasterfanatic wrote:I don’t believe that Six Flags will do business with Vekoma anymore after their DeJaVu fiasco! It’s amazing that company is still in business.

Vekoma is owned by Sansei Technologies now, which is the same company that owns S&S. Vekoma is also RMC’s partner in Europe and has a deal to sell RMC coasters there.

The new Vekoma coasters look awesome.

I know. That Top gun coaster would fit well in the park if it had better capacity. But I think we would go for another traditional coaster.
IssaCoaster

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 5th, 2019, 12:17 pm
Stupid question: since there are so many companies out there besides B&M and Intamin, shouldn't the pricetag of rides for those 2 companies theoretically come down, due to competition and supply?

Sven - what are your thoughts on this?
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby rluecht72 on July 5th, 2019, 1:27 pm
I would love to see a mack pulsar water ride either replace V2 or the yankee clipper. those who have seen Pulsar at Walibi Holland, it is a hydro version of V2 and would probably use less power to run and more pph to side show from the main entrance
rluecht72

Postby redrobinround on July 5th, 2019, 4:37 pm
It is hard to remove one flume they are basically interlocking

redrobinround

Postby anewman35 on July 5th, 2019, 6:21 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:Stupid question: since there are so many companies out there besides B&M and Intamin, shouldn't the pricetag of rides for those 2 companies theoretically come down, due to competition and supply?

It doesn't work that way, because not all rides are equal. It's like, since Kias exist, shouldn't BMWs be cheaper? The 'premium' ride companies only make a few rides a year and as long as they can find a few parks that meet their asking price anything happening lower in the market wouldn't affect them...
anewman35

Postby Sven18 on July 5th, 2019, 6:36 pm
anewman35 wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:Stupid question: since there are so many companies out there besides B&M and Intamin, shouldn't the pricetag of rides for those 2 companies theoretically come down, due to competition and supply?

It doesn't work that way, because not all rides are equal. It's like, since Kias exist, shouldn't BMWs be cheaper? The 'premium' ride companies only make a few rides a year and as long as they can find a few parks that meet their asking price anything happening lower in the market wouldn't affect them...

The "premium ride" companies sell a lot of rides every year just not necessarily in the North America. 2019 B&M sold 6 coasters, 3 wings & 2 hypers in China, and Yukon Striker at Wonderland. 2018 B&M had none in the North America, but 3 wings, 3Dives, Invert elsewhere. 2019 Intamin sold 14 coasters(only 3 in the US). 2019 9 coasters, none in North America. B&M and Intamin have been going where people want to spend money, that's been a lot in China.
Sven18

Postby JackGlass on July 6th, 2019, 11:09 am
I think its just the opposite. If Maxx Force is a success and boosts attendance and per capita spending at Great America. That would incline them to build more launch coasters at the park, not remove existing ones.
JackGlass

Postby coasterfanatic on July 6th, 2019, 11:12 am
I don’t anticipate any coaster leaving the park anytime soon! We shall see what they add for 2020 but with a CEO coming next year, the company could drop the whole “something new in every park” crap.

coasterfanatic

Postby Sven18 on July 6th, 2019, 11:22 am
coasterfanatic wrote:I don’t anticipate any coaster leaving the park anytime soon! We shall see what they add for 2020 but with a CEO coming next year, the company could drop the whole “something new in every park” crap.

The new CEO will continue the current game plan. That's clear from the comments they have made on the topic in the last conf call & several investor presentations in May/June. The same board is making the decision. They have their 5 defined areas of growth, which they believe are "in the early innings". They essentially said they want somebody to continue that path. JRA is one of the biggest individual shareholders, he's going to have a say as he has a lot of of money at risk. Last timeI looked he still has 250M worth of shares & he sold a lot over the years.
Sven18

Next

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum