Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Possible Hotel For SFGAm

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby ChicagoCoasters on June 26th, 2019, 2:18 pm
According to the most recent survey Six Flags is looking to possibly add on-site hotels to some of its parks. With SFGAm having one of the more attended parks in the chain the likeliness of us getting a hotel is higher than some other parks. Thoughts???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1.) Steel Vengeance 2.) Maverick 3.) Goliath (SFGAM) 4.) Top Thrill Dragster 5.) Mystic Timbers
Ragin Cajun and Iron Wolf went from Six Flags Great America to Six Flags America. I guess they weren't GREAT anymore.
ChicagoCoasters

Postby IssaCoaster on June 26th, 2019, 2:22 pm
The questions that come to mind would be, where would they put it? How nice would the hotel be? Can they build a hotel that would be able to bring in enough revenue for it to be worth it? Can the hotel compete with Great Wolf Lodge and other hotels in the area? I see Great Wolf Lodge as a big problem if they want to build a hotel. And knowing Six Flags, I don't know if they would be able to maintain a nice hotel.
IssaCoaster

Postby JackGlass on June 26th, 2019, 3:28 pm
Buy some land across Washington Street and also move the employee parking lot over there. That way they can eventually develop all that land in the back of the park.
JackGlass

Postby JT2002 on June 26th, 2019, 5:07 pm
JackGlass wrote:Buy some land across Washington Street and also move the employee parking lot over there. That way they can eventually develop all that land in the back of the park.

I believe the village owns the land across Washington and is potentially redeveloping it into a sports complex, opening opportunity for hotels and restaurants in the area (there is a strip mall across Milwaukee ave. that's almost empty anyways).
Maybe Six Flags could find a way to fit in their hotel (the village would probably more than happy), but there wouldn't be space to move the employee parking. They don't use half the employee lot anyways, they could build into it if they wanted.
Also, if they do bring in a hotel, there obviously would be competition with Great Wolf, but hopefully it would force some of the shitty small hotels in the area to close up shop (there's been a lot of police activity recently at the hotels on East Grand and by Gurnee Mills).
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby coasterlove on June 26th, 2019, 5:13 pm
A hotel would be nice if it added extra reliable business (money) to the park. If staying at their hotel gave guests worthwhile bonuses, it would be nice. I don't know if it would be worth the money for me personally since I live less than an hour away. The survey gave $200 a night as an example. Even with some decent perks, it probably isn't worth it for me. I'd be better off just upgrading my season pass to one of the higher end memberships. It would be nice for people outside of the area visiting if the perks are good and it isn't too much more than other local hotels.

I would definitely consider staying at one of their hotels in other areas when I go on vacation. They throw in a nice breakfast and maybe early entry (doubtful) or some skip the line passes or something along those lines or credit in the park which was mentioned in the email and it would make a nice deal.

I don't know how to put pictures on here so I saved the coordinates. 42.370205,-87.930475

Who owns that land? Does anyone know? There is a tiny 'park' just east of the area with a basketball court and maybe a small playground. It looks to easily be large enough to build a hotel and parking lot and also close enough for guests to walk to the park.
coasterlove

Postby staticshadows on June 26th, 2019, 5:28 pm
JT2002 wrote:
JackGlass wrote:Buy some land across Washington Street and also move the employee parking lot over there. That way they can eventually develop all that land in the back of the park.

I believe the village owns the land across Washington and is potentially redeveloping it into a sports complex, opening opportunity for hotels and restaurants in the area (there is a strip mall across Milwaukee ave. that's almost empty anyways).

Nope, the village doesn’t own the land. They just paid for a study to prove an indoor sports complex would be viable there. Now they have to find a developer that is willing to purchase the land and build the complex.

I don’t think a Six Flags hotel would work at this park and I don’t see Six Flags spending that much money on a hotel here. The survey could be for any park in the chain.
staticshadows

Postby JT2002 on June 26th, 2019, 5:30 pm
coasterlove wrote:I don't know how to put pictures on here so I saved the coordinates. 42.370205,-87.930475

Who owns that land? Does anyone know? There is a tiny 'park' just east of the area with a basketball court and maybe a small playground. It looks to easily be large enough to build a hotel and parking lot and also close enough for guests to walk to the park.

I believe Six Flags owns the hill, but not the 'park'. There's a bit of a tree line and I think a fence that separates them.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby Ilovthevu' on June 26th, 2019, 11:30 pm
Six Flags could just go the way of these water parks, or amusement parks they are leasing, or buying back. Six Flags could just buy the Holiday Inn, and boom; you have Six Flags own hotel. It doesn't have to be as complicated as actually building a brand new hotel. The way Six Flags would get people to stay at this hotel is to be just like Cedar Point, and if you stay at that hotel, you get 2 rides open 1 hour before the park opens; plus transportation (aka big bus).
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby CoasterRiderSC on June 27th, 2019, 9:53 am
One interesting thing just came to mind: Marriott's core business IS hotels, yet to my knowledge they didn't have a hotel around Great America. Six Flags core business is NOT hotels.

Any Thoughts??
Last edited by CoasterRiderSC on June 27th, 2019, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby ernstwhere on June 27th, 2019, 1:21 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:One interesting thing just came to mind: Marriott's core business IS hotels, yet to my knowledge they didn't have a hotel around Great America. Six Flags cores business is NOT hotels.

Any Thoughts??

When the Eagle opened and ACE held a weekend event Marriott's Lincolnshire was the base for the conference. I believe there were plans to develop the property across the Tollway that may have included a hotel.
ernstwhere

Postby anewman35 on June 27th, 2019, 5:51 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:One interesting thing just came to mind: Marriott's core business IS hotels, yet to my knowledge they didn't have a hotel around Great America. Six Flags core business is NOT hotels.

Any Thoughts??

My thought is that doesn't really have anything to do with anything. Marriott owned the park decades ago. Six Flags can decide to branch out into new things...
anewman35

Postby Ilovthevu' on June 27th, 2019, 6:03 pm
Six Flags does have 1 hotel already near the Great Escape.

Regarding Cedar Fair, I stayed at the Breakers Express (awhile ago) near Cedar Point, and that literally just felt like a Comfort Inn / Super 8 / Quality Inn. The only difference is that you had 1 hour (get in the park early) in the morning, and they had picture frames of Cedar Point rides around the hotel, but it wasn't amazing, or anything. To me, hotels / motels are the biggest upscale scams out there. Almost every hotel room is like a Quality Inn, but yet you are paying for how the hotel looks in the lobby area, or sometimes the look of it; on the outside it (such as Pop Century). To me, the only unique hotels (that MIGHT be worth more money) are stuff like the Great Wolf Lodge or the Kalahari because it has an indoor waterpark.

I know though that people fall for the, "It's such a magnificent lobby stuff.." such as Disney's Wilderness Lodge. Anyone can visit a hotel lobby for FREE. You are paying for the room. The cheapest rate for Disney's Wilderness Lodge is $339 a night without taxes. Honestly, if you want to save a lot of money, and still enjoy the "magic" of the lobby of Disney's Wilderness Lodge, just hop on a Disney bus that will take you to it, and boom; I just saved you $239 a night. Where's my fee?
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on June 28th, 2019, 12:02 am, edited 9 times in total.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby IssaCoaster on June 27th, 2019, 6:09 pm
Question for you guys, could they use the open space across from Olive Garden as a hotel? That would be perfect because it is right next to a lot of restaurants in the area and is a decent walk to the park without crossing Grand.
IssaCoaster

Postby staticshadows on June 27th, 2019, 6:22 pm
IssaCoaster wrote:Question for you guys, could they use the open space across from Olive Garden as a hotel? That would be perfect because it is right next to a lot of restaurants in the area and is a decent walk to the park without crossing Grand.

Yes, that parcel is 10.17 acres, zoned commercial, and is available for $5.3 million.
https://www.robertefrankrealestate.com/5589-northridge

It appears hotels could be planned for Hurricane Harbor Oaxtepec & Magic Mountain.
https://attractionsmagazine.com/six-flags-hurricane-harbor-mexico-now-open/
The redevelopment of Six Flags Hurricane Harbor in Oaxtepc, Mexico, included a new layout connecting preexisting portions of the park to the newly constructed side, an updated filtration system throughout the park with on-site treatment facilities, and new electrical systems. Future expansion plans call for adding more rides and an on-site hotel.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/experience/america/theme-parks/2017/08/23/six-flags-magic-mountain-open-daily-2018-exclusive/591662001/
With Magic Mountain's bid for destination park status, might a hotel be in its future? As part of its long-range plans, Weber says the park is looking at a number of options. There is available land on-site to build a hotel and other resort amenities. The company might also try to develop Six Flags-branded accommodations at a nearby off-site location with a third-party hotel partner.
staticshadows

Postby CoasterRiderSC on June 28th, 2019, 7:35 am
anewman35 wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:One interesting thing just came to mind: Marriott's core business IS hotels, yet to my knowledge they didn't have a hotel around Great America. Six Flags core business is NOT hotels.

Any Thoughts??

My thought is that doesn't really have anything to do with anything. Marriott owned the park decades ago. Six Flags can decide to branch out into new things...

Perhaps you missed my point: if Marriott's didn't/couldn't make a hotel work around Great America, why does Six Flags think they can do it?? They are NOT in the hotel business, unlike Marriott.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on June 28th, 2019, 7:38 am
Ilovthevu' wrote:Six Flags does have 1 hotel already near the Great Escape.

Regarding Cedar Fair, I stayed at the Breakers Express (awhile ago) near Cedar Point, and that literally just felt like a Comfort Inn / Super 8 / Quality Inn. The only difference is that you had 1 hour (get in the park early) in the morning, and they had picture frames of Cedar Point rides around the hotel, but it wasn't amazing, or anything. To me, hotels / motels are the biggest upscale scams out there. Almost every hotel room is like a Quality Inn, but yet you are paying for how the hotel looks in the lobby area, or sometimes the look of it; on the outside it (such as Pop Century). To me, the only unique hotels (that MIGHT be worth more money) are stuff like the Great Wolf Lodge or the Kalahari because it has an indoor waterpark.

I know though that people fall for the, "It's such a magnificent lobby stuff.." such as Disney's Wilderness Lodge. Anyone can visit a hotel lobby for FREE. You are paying for the room. The cheapest rate for Disney's Wilderness Lodge is $339 a night without taxes. Honestly, if you want to save a lot of money, and still enjoy the "magic" of the lobby of Disney's Wilderness Lodge, just hop on a Disney bus that will take you to it, and boom; I just saved you $239 a night. Where's my fee?

I love your thinking!! BTW, we did stay at Great Wolf last year in WI Dells and it was a very nice place and worth the money considering we really used the water park all the time we were there! We're going to Great Wolf this year in Sandusky (we'll hit Cedar Point AFTER we leave Great Wolf). We love Best Western as a good "middle of the road" hotel and includes free hot breakfast, usually has indoor and/or outdoor pool as well!

CoasterRiderSC

Postby JackGlass on June 28th, 2019, 11:12 am
That parcel of land by the Restaurants would probably be the best bet for a Hotel.

They could have shuttles transport guests to the park, just like Magic Mountain does with their parking lot.
JackGlass

Postby ChicagoCoasters on June 28th, 2019, 2:25 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
anewman35 wrote:

Any Thoughts??

Perhaps you missed my point: if Marriott's didn't/couldn't make a hotel work around Great America, why does Six Flags think they can do it?? They are NOT in the hotel business, unlike Marriott.

Marriott never built the hotel but they also never built the Great Southwest and look what Six Flags did. So Six Flags building hotel here may work after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1.) Steel Vengeance 2.) Maverick 3.) Goliath (SFGAM) 4.) Top Thrill Dragster 5.) Mystic Timbers
Ragin Cajun and Iron Wolf went from Six Flags Great America to Six Flags America. I guess they weren't GREAT anymore.
ChicagoCoasters

Postby anewman35 on June 28th, 2019, 3:08 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
anewman35 wrote:

Any Thoughts??

#1 Marriott has a 'resort' in Lincolnshire, so perhaps they thought that was close enough.
#2 it's literally something like 35 years since Marriott owned the park. What happened then has absolutely no baring on what the market is like now.
anewman35

Postby ernstwhere on June 28th, 2019, 7:16 pm
It's pretty clear the SF biz model is not organic growth, it is memberships, passes and upgrades/upsells to existing memberships and passes (this was stated by SF when they announced JRA's departure). Maxx Force hasn't been marketed yet, at all, not even mentioned in newsletters, strange as a record-breaking marquee attraction. Although the season is much longer now than anything Marriott attempted why develop hotels if the consumer base is day visitors? Mt. Olympus really knows their customer, for example, on this point.
ernstwhere

Postby diggerg56 on June 28th, 2019, 7:24 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:Six Flags does have 1 hotel already near the Great Escape.

I thought the price point they were suggesting in the survey ($249) is a bit much, even if it includes some park benefits.
I would agree Breakers Express is overpriced, especially during prime season. You might as well pay an extra $100 and stay at Breakers or Lighthouse Point, be able to walk (or shuttle) to one of the resort gates and take advantage of what the whole resort has to offer, including the beach, etc..
"Heavily medicated for your safety"
diggerg56

Postby Sven18 on June 29th, 2019, 5:39 pm
SF getting into hotels & resorts is a horrible idea. They can't even keep the parks up at a proper level compared to Cedar Fair , Busch, Sea World, Dollywood, etc...They also don't have customer service even close to these other chains and they are going to run a hotel/resort business which is largely based on aesthetics & customer service to get people to in general over pay slightly for looks of the facility, customer service & convenience. SF has an investor presentations that said they were going to stick to what they are good it & not get into too many things. Hotels/resorts are not their thing. There is also the fact hotels are big Capex expenditures, not SF's thing. All of the parks in the chain have plenty of hotels close by and are not destination parks. SF depends & is built on locals near each park. They don't even market as destination parks besides SFMM, which is only such b/c it's in SoCal and the enormous number of visitors to the area for all the other parks, tourist stuff, etc.. SFMM has a bunch of hotels nearby. SFGAdv has no hotels near by but that's for a reason, Jackson NJ is a pain to get things done in. SFGAM doesn't need a hotel for a bunch of reasons, beyond the lack of property & the large Capex.
Sven18

Postby Carlo on June 30th, 2019, 11:15 pm
When Marriott owned the park they did build a hotel. It's the Hampton inn just across the street on grand.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Carlo
Carlo

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 1st, 2019, 9:29 am
Carlo wrote:When Marriott owned the park they did build a hotel. It's the Hampton inn just across the street on grand.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Did Marriott own the Hampton name when it was built?

CoasterRiderSC

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum