Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

RMC EAGLE?

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby B&MGuy35 on July 17th, 2019, 12:55 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
jmanporty7 wrote:You never heard of a B&M rattle? Not all, but some of the B&M's have a "rattling sensation" during certain elements on their roller coasters, usually elements that pull high G's. This rattle isn't rough or painful at all, but its still noticeable whilst riding certain B&M's. Some examples are Banshee and Diamondback at Kings Island.

When waiting in line I've heard some type of noise when X-Flight goes through the entire inline twist, almost like the sound effects from Six Million Dollar Man when he would use his bionic arm. Sorry, that's all I can think of to compare it to!

But I don't actually feel anything like a "rattle" during that element and I'm always totally off my seat.

I’m pretty sure that noise you’re hearing are the roll backs lifting then dropping back down as the train rolls. You can also here then at the top of the lift hill when the train flips over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 17th, 2019, 1:12 pm
Is the "famous B&M rattle" something I will hear or feel or both?

I did find this article/discussion about the rattle. Someone states that ANY ride manufacturer's ride can have a rattle.
https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters/comments/4tia9t/what_the_hell_is_the_bm_rattle/

An excerpt from above discussion:
"The rattle as I understand it is a shimmy in the train during high G movements on a B&M.

During high G on some of the B&Ms the train will get a shimmy to it which is a side to side motion as you are moving forward. It has a tendency to rattle the train giving it the B&M rattle name. The train will shimmy so much that it actually makes the train rattle.

Cause... The cause of this has to do with the footings that the coaster sits on top of. When the footings area not installed correctly or are not large enough they will move a little as the train goes over that section of track. The movement may only be millimeters but its enough to reverberate up to the train that is in high G. Partly you have to remember you have a 50,000 pound train amplified by 3 G making the applied force in the the track and structure over 150,000 pounds. Any movement in the footings is sent back to the train.

The most notable one I have ridden is Goliath at SFOG. On the first and second drop at the bottom you will get the shimmy. During one of the tours I did we were standing under the coaster and noticed that the footing and ground moved as the train went by. That movement is what causes the train to rattle.

On Fury 325 I asked that question about footings. ON Fury, half of the rides footings are connected deep in the ground to bed rock. A hard layer of ground usually deep in the ground that is more or less solid rock. You connect the footings to it, then to the support, to the track. The problem area that could effect Fury is on the out run near the tunnel. That part is not on bed rock. But the park feels they built large enough footings so that it wont be a problem. So far Fury has no real rattle so it has stayed stiff...

What causes the footings to move over time. Several things can cause it.

Not large enough or deep enough footings.

The constant downward force of the train each time it passes.

Bad ground around the footings where the dirt can compress under the footings.

Wet and dry seasons or if you are in a frost line area where the ground can freeze moving the footing.

More or less the rattle is a shimmy in the train, mostly caused by bad footings or bad ground conditions. Can it be fixed, Sure. Dig up the footings and increase the size or better ground. Will items like this be fixed, typically not as the parks arent going to spend the money until it starts to do damage to fast to trains or track."
Last edited by CoasterRiderSC on July 18th, 2019, 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Jodon on July 17th, 2019, 2:02 pm
The most identifiable area of B&M rattle on RB is in the valley under the MCBR and the lift.
Jodon

Postby SFGAM_Hog on July 17th, 2019, 3:01 pm
^ Definitely. You can hear AND feel it.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 18th, 2019, 8:16 am
B&MGuy35 wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
jmanporty7 wrote:You never heard of a B&M rattle? Not all, but some of the B&M's have a "rattling sensation" during certain elements on their roller coasters, usually elements that pull high G's. This rattle isn't rough or painful at all, but its still noticeable whilst riding certain B&M's. Some examples are Banshee and Diamondback at Kings Island.

When waiting in line I've heard some type of noise when X-Flight goes through the entire inline twist, almost like the sound effects from Six Million Dollar Man when he would use his bionic arm. Sorry, that's all I can think of to compare it to!

But I don't actually feel anything like a "rattle" during that element and I'm always totally off my seat.

I’m pretty sure that noise you’re hearing are the roll backs lifting then dropping back down as the train rolls. You can also here then at the top of the lift hill when the train flips over.

Another person on another forum said it IS the rollbacks! I never knew there were rollbacks on the inline twist portion of X-Flight. So, my next question is why are there rollbacks there? I thought there were only on lift hills or sections of track where the train is climbing like on Eagle just prior to entering the giant helix?

CoasterRiderSC

Postby JaminOut on July 18th, 2019, 10:24 am
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
B&MGuy35 wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:[quote="jmanporty7"]
You never heard of a B&M rattle? Not all, but some of the B&M's have a "rattling sensation" during certain elements on their roller coasters, usually elements that pull high G's. This rattle isn't rough or painful at all, but its still noticeable whilst riding certain B&M's. Some examples are Banshee and Diamondback at Kings Island.

Another person on another forum said it IS the rollbacks! I never knew there were rollbacks on the inline twist portion of X-Flight. So, my next question is why are there rollbacks there? I thought there were only on lift hills or sections of track where the train is climbing like on Eagle just prior to entering the giant helix?[/quote]

There aren’t rollbacks on the in-line twist. I believe what is being referred to is the mechanism on the train that interacts with the rollbacks. It’s a piece of metal on a hinge that flaps as it hits each rollback fin. It’s loose throughout the whole ride, so it is subject to gravity. That is why you hear it “clack” during the in-line twist, it’s hitting the bottom of the train.
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 18th, 2019, 10:36 am
^ Ben, thanks for clarifying that! I now understand what B&MGuy (and others) were trying to explain:
The rollback mechanisms on the train are free to move during entire X-Flight ride and they do! There are no rollback "teeth" on the track on the inline twist. I get it now :)

I also think that noise during the inline twist is actually pretty cool!

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Tardis1972 on July 22nd, 2019, 12:33 pm
So I don’t know if I believe this or not but while I was at the park yesterday I overheard numerous guests talking about a rumor they heard that this is going to be Eagles last year of operation. This isn’t the first time I heard about this rumor either. One of friends was the first to mentioned it to me back in June. So I say take that for what it’s worth for now.
Tardis1972

Postby JT2002 on July 22nd, 2019, 3:57 pm
Tardis1972 wrote:So I don’t know if I believe this or not but while I was at the park yesterday I overheard numerous guests talking about a rumor they heard that this is going to be Eagles last year of operation. This isn’t the first time I heard about this rumor either. One of friends was the first to mentioned it to me back in June. So I say take that for what it’s worth for now.

I've heard a bit of this too, the park is very hush hush about anything Eagle related. I think I heard somewhere something about the trains can't be operated after this season for some reason, but that may put it in SBNO next year.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby IssaCoaster on July 22nd, 2019, 7:46 pm
JT2002 wrote:
Tardis1972 wrote:So I don’t know if I believe this or not but while I was at the park yesterday I overheard numerous guests talking about a rumor they heard that this is going to be Eagles last year of operation. This isn’t the first time I heard about this rumor either. One of friends was the first to mentioned it to me back in June. So I say take that for what it’s worth for now.

I've heard a bit of this too, the park is very hush hush about anything Eagle related. I think I heard somewhere something about the trains can't be operated after this season for some reason, but that may put it in SBNO next year.
We should start to keep an eye out for things around the Eagle. I've been hearing how they can't run both sides or they only run one side at a time while I worked at the park. I know there were survey markers a fee years back. But I'm pretty sure they'll do it again if they are doing something to it soon.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
IssaCoaster

Postby SFGAM_Hog on July 22nd, 2019, 8:30 pm
^ Both sides were running yesterday. I don't know if they were running at the same times.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby ChiefBeef234 on July 22nd, 2019, 9:56 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:^ Both sides were running yesterday. I don't know if they were running at the same times.
Not at the same time. They had the opportunity to do it multiple times while I was up there but the other side waited until the train on the other side released the restraints for the returning train. They clearly had some order not to send trains at the same time.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
ChiefBeef234

Postby RCTClassic on July 23rd, 2019, 10:02 am

If it means anything, I was at the park the same day and was specifically talking to one of my friends that doesnt go there very often about the IDEA that AE could be done after this season. All I heard is rumors, but I do let people I know to get their rides in because this could be it. So you may have overheard me or someone like me, just relaying the same rumors, not based on any reals facts.

I have heard the train thing not being able to go next year. Obviously the whole thing needs love, it looks terrible, it's getting rougher, it trimmed to death now, they wont run both sides at the same time......something has to give.

Either it get refurbed, RMCed, torn down,, or SBNO soon......its just the reality. I would get my rides in if you are an Eagle fan.
RCTClassic

Postby JT2002 on July 23rd, 2019, 5:15 pm
Lol, the park posted a photo of Viper and captioned it the "Vast Views of Viper" and I read "last" views at first. No way they would get rid of Viper.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby RCTClassic on July 23rd, 2019, 6:29 pm
JT2002 wrote:Lol, the park posted a photo of Viper and captioned it the "Vast Views of Viper" and I read "last" views at first. No way they would get rid of Viper.

Exactly, no way. It's a great wooden coaster the way it sits. Has airtime, laterals, pretty smooth for what it is, is upkept really well, and it is not a big space. Viper will be around for quite a while.....AE, that's a horse of a different color.
RCTClassic

Postby IssaCoaster on July 23rd, 2019, 7:36 pm
RCTClassic wrote:
JT2002 wrote:Lol, the park posted a photo of Viper and captioned it the "Vast Views of Viper" and I read "last" views at first. No way they would get rid of Viper.

Exactly, no way. It's a great wooden coaster the way it sits. Has airtime, laterals, pretty smooth for what it is, is upkept really well, and it is not a big space. Viper will be around for quite a while.....AE, that's a horse of a different color.
Agreed. Viper is actually a really good coaster to me. But it would be interesting if they RMC'd it. It would probably be like a crazy Wicked Cyclone.

IssaCoaster

Postby Jodon on July 23rd, 2019, 10:18 pm
IssaCoaster wrote:
RCTClassic wrote:

Agreed. Viper is actually a really good coaster to me. But it would be interesting if they RMC'd it. It would probably be like a crazy Wicked Cyclone.

It would likely be just like this... https://youtu.be/UDdhYE1ScU0

Jodon

Postby FrostByter on July 26th, 2019, 11:46 pm
Just visited today and rode the Eagle 4 times. It had both sides running but not dueling. Both operators actually said all clear at the same time and awkwardly looked at each other. They ended up only dispatching blue, waited a minute, then dispatched red. I asked the supervisor on duty after this happened and she told me they are not allowed to let it race anymore because of it’s age. I then followed up with if it was closing or not and she said they strongly feel it is closing 2020 and being RMC’d for its 40th in 2021.
FrostByter

Postby SFGAM_Hog on July 27th, 2019, 12:00 am
Just saw this on someone's Instagram story: "According to Hank Salemi the newest (next ?) coaster will be 'Exciting, thrilling, and a fan favorite' RMC Eagle?"
SFGAM_Hog

Postby Tardis1972 on July 27th, 2019, 10:22 am
It’s kinda sad to hear about how bad a shape Eagle is in. Racer and Rebel Yell two coasters that are older than Eagle are both in a better shape than it. Now granted neither coaster has a massive helix and aren’t as long as Eagle but it still shows how much better of care Cedar Fair is taking of their last remaining racing woodies. So at this point I’m all far Eagle getting the RMC treatmeant.
Tardis1972

Postby ChiefBeef234 on July 27th, 2019, 10:30 am
Tardis1972 wrote:It’s kinda sad to hear about how bad a shape Eagle is in. Racer and Rebel Yell two coasters that are older than Eagle are both in a better shape than it. Now granted neither coaster has a massive helix and aren’t as long as Eagle but it still shows how much better of care Cedar Fair is taking of their last remaining racing woodies. So at this point I’m all far Eagle getting the RMC treatmeant.
Eagle is Intamin's first wooden coaster, I wonder if their inexperience eventually caused weak points in the structure that are impossible to fix.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
ChiefBeef234

Postby JT2002 on July 27th, 2019, 11:26 am
They should RMC the Little Dipper. Take out go karts if they need space.
JT2002

Postby coasterlove on July 27th, 2019, 11:31 am
At this point, I'm all for a total demolition of American Eagle. The only reason I'd be for 'saving it' is if the land is otherwise unusable because American Eagle is grandfathered in as some have said. I don't if that's true for one reason or another. If it is true and much of the land that it sits can't be used for any new attractions, then I would like to see it get refurbished, whether by RMC or whoever else might be up to that task.

I wonder too if it is in such bad shape, could it be rebuilt? Sure,if it is that bad and take down 70-90% essentially almost building a new coaster? Legally, if it's true about the ride being grandfathered in, could they leave the lifthill and reinforce it and build upon it and mostly make a new layout using just some parts of the old structure?

I wouldn't mind it being a smaller layout if the land around the helix could be used for another ride. If American Eagle stretched out maybe just over half to two thirds of it's current land space, they could fit in another big ride or even a decent sized coaster. Then the land that American Eagle sits now could truly be "two coasters".
coasterlove

Postby IssaCoaster on July 27th, 2019, 11:36 am
SFGAM_Hog wrote:Just saw this on someone's Instagram story: "According to Hank Salemi the newest (next ?) coaster will be 'Exciting, thrilling, and a fan favorite' RMC Eagle?"
A fan favorite may actually mean they are not going for records and more for the ride experience. If they actually focus on making a great ride(not saying they haven't with the last few additions) this may actually be world class. Exciting to hear.

IssaCoaster

Postby awefawn on July 27th, 2019, 11:43 am
coasterlove wrote:I wouldn't mind it being a smaller layout if the land around the helix could be used for another ride. If American Eagle stretched out maybe just over half to two thirds of it's current land space, they could fit in another big ride or even a decent sized coaster. Then the land that American Eagle sits now could truly be "two coasters".

Yes, but I think the helix IS the problem, as its too close to the highway for construction, and it was made before the laws about it were put in place. Even if they redo the coaster, they may have to nix out the helix anyway. There’s also rumors that the whole reason the coaster cant duel is because the helix cant handle it anymore.

awefawn

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum