Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Way too early 2020 predictions!

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby UnclePennybags on August 23rd, 2019, 4:30 am
UnclePennybags wrote:
Sven18 wrote:Would not at al b surprised to see the next few years as:
2020 water park
2021 flat ride
2022 flat ride
2023 kids area expansion/revamp

The above seems reasonable. I don't see another custom coaster coming for years. I believe SFGAm has a rhythm going that'll generally continue until something changes it. This is what we've had:

2014: Custom coaster (Goliath)

2015: Miscellaneous small stuff (Hometown Park, general improvements, etc)
2016: Clone (Justice League)
2017: Clone (Joker)
2018: Clone (Mardi Gras Hangover)
2019: Custom coaster (Maxx Force)

My crystal ball tells me the coming years will look something like this:

2020: Miscellaneous small stuff (kids' areas, general improvements, another Ignite stage, etc).
2021: Clone (Giga Discovery at River Rocker's spot)
2022: Clone (RMC Raptor at Buccaneer Battle's spot)
2023: Clone (Star Flyer at Dare Devil Dive's spot)
2024: Custom coaster (where, oh where could it go?)

Somewhere between 2020 and 2024, the waterpark will probably get some love. However, I'm not sure what kind of love that would be.

I've been following these discussions about American Eagle (AE) for months now. I'm sold. I'd be surprised if the next custom coaster at the park wasn't a GCI refurbishment or RMC redesign of AE. I'd expect a refurb to cost less and could see the park wanting this done for AE's 40th anniversary in 2021. A redesign would probably be much more expensive. I wouldn't expect Six Flags would want to do this before 2024.

As for comparisons with Goliath, the thought never occurred to me that RMC would redesign AE as a Goliath-ish type of ride until I read others' opinions in this forum. I just don't see this happening. There are so many possible design elements that could be employed to make AE great. I don't see how Six Flags would benefit by investing in a *custom* coaster that didn't provide a unique ride experience.
Last edited by UnclePennybags on August 23rd, 2019, 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
UnclePennybags

Postby AirTimeDaz on August 23rd, 2019, 7:21 am
They posted a new short teaser yesterday but I haven't read anyone here discussing it yet. Something about severe weather has hit sfgam, high wind, power surges, 20 ft waves and that's when he got hit in the face with a bucket of water :lol:

I'm thinking the power surges and 20 ft waves are referencing going uphill on the water coaster. Thoughts?
AirTimeDaz

Postby anewman35 on August 23rd, 2019, 7:23 am
UnclePennybags wrote:
As for comparisons with Goliath, the thought never occurred to me that RMC would redesign AE as a Goliath clone until I read others' opinions in this forum. I just don't see this happening. There are so many possible design elements that could be employed to make AE great. I don't see how Six Flags would benefit by investing in a *custom* coaster that didn't provide a unique ride experience.

I don't think anybody us actually saying RMC Eagle would BE any sort of Goliath Clone - I'm sure whatever they did, it would be an amazing ride. (Personal story: The only RMC I had ever been on before this year was Goliath, and I got to go on Wicked Cyclone this year and thought it might be disappointing just because size wise it was so much smaller, and it totally blew me away and was one of the best things I had ever been on. So I very much support another RMC at the park). For me, it's just the perception of the GP.

Like, imagine this. They announce that next year, we're getting another B&M Wingrider, replacing the Demon. They're calling it Flying Demon and it has a bunch of homages to the Demon layout, and a tunnel with lights etc, and it's taller and faster and does some different elements than X-Flight does.

Don't you think a very significant portion of the people visiting the park would say 'why did you take away Demon when you already have a ride just like this?" I do.
anewman35

Postby jmanporty7 on August 23rd, 2019, 8:43 am
AirTimeDaz wrote:They posted a new short teaser yesterday but I haven't read anyone here discussing it yet. Something about severe weather has hit sfgam, high wind, power surges, 20 ft waves and that's when he got hit in the face with a bucket of water :lol:

I'm thinking the power surges and 20 ft waves are referencing going uphill on the water coaster. Thoughts?

I think we are getting some sort of record breaking water coaster. What records it will break? I honestly don't know. But knowing Six Flags, they'll just come up with random records that no one knew or cared about.
jmanporty7

Postby IssaCoaster on August 23rd, 2019, 8:55 am
jmanporty7 wrote:
AirTimeDaz wrote:They posted a new short teaser yesterday but I haven't read anyone here discussing it yet. Something about severe weather has hit sfgam, high wind, power surges, 20 ft waves and that's when he got hit in the face with a bucket of water [emoji38]

I think we are getting some sort of record breaking water coaster. What records it will break? I honestly don't know. But knowing Six Flags, they'll just come up with random records that no one knew or cared about.
86ft would make it the tallest watercoater in the world.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
IssaCoaster

Postby jmanporty7 on August 23rd, 2019, 9:15 am
IssaCoaster wrote:
jmanporty7 wrote:
AirTimeDaz wrote:They posted a new short teaser yesterday but I haven't read anyone here discussing it yet. Something about severe weather has hit sfgam, high wind, power surges, 20 ft waves and that's when he got hit in the face with a bucket of water [emoji38]

86ft would make it the tallest watercoater in the world.

It surely would, but I'm just so confused about all the other numbers! :lol: :lol:
jmanporty7

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 23rd, 2019, 10:19 am
We already had Demon, but then they built a larger version of it in Shockwave! It's quite similar, just larger and 3 more inversions.

Also, we had an S&S ride called Joker, but then we got Maxx this year, another S&S!
So, having Goliath (to me) doesn't preclude an RMC of Eagle.

Why do I think something's gonna happen with Eagle?

Teaser #2 had me sold on Eagle's makeover, with the filming occurring right there, mention of iconic coaster and "will Six Flags keep making iconic coasters?"

Teaser #1 : Had the numbers 86,23,3. (86 *23) + 3 = 1981 (year Eagle opened).

Also, colors red, white and blue were mentioned in at least 1 of the teasers.

I seriously hope the addition is NOT for HH. I've only been to HH 1x . Since it's right next door to all these coasters, HH just doesn't grab my attention :) (My username is CoasterRiderSC NOT WaterSlideRiderSC LOL)
I think HH is fine as it is.

P.S I was thinking Eagle goes SBNO for 2020 and we don't get anything major next year. And in 2021 we get the "new" Eagle.
Last edited by CoasterRiderSC on August 23rd, 2019, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby IssaCoaster on August 23rd, 2019, 11:06 am
I think this year will be an HH addition. Next year we can start looking at something bigger. We literally just got a coaster.

IssaCoaster

Postby jmanporty7 on August 23rd, 2019, 11:58 am
CoasterRiderSC wrote: Also, we had an S&S ride called Joker, but then we got Maxx this year, another S&S!

I facepalmed so hard reading this :lol: :lol:

Joker and Maxx Force are two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT models. One is a 4D wing coaster, and the other is a sitdown launch coaster.

Why do we have 4 B&M's? Because they are all COMPLETELY DIFFERENT models. Invert, flyer, hyper, wing. They all provide a different ride experience from each other.

A topper track woodie (Goliath) and i-box steel coaster (RMC Eagle) are not that different at all. Both would provide similar feeling airtime, inversions, and pacing. Just because they may have different layout with different elements, doesn't mean they aren't similar rides.
jmanporty7

Postby B&MGuy35 on August 23rd, 2019, 12:01 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:We already had Demon, but then they built a larger version of it in Shockwave! It's quite similar, just larger and 3 more inversions.

Also, we had an S&S ride called Joker, but then we got Maxx this year, another S&S!

Teaser #2 had me sold on Eagle's makeover, with the filming occurring right there, mention of iconic coaster and "will Six Flags keep making iconic coasters?"

I seriously hope the addition is NOT for HH. I've only been to HH 1x . Since it's right next door to all these coasters, HH just doesn't grab my attention :) (My username is CoasterRiderSC NOT WaterSlideRiderSC LOL)

P.S I was thinking Eagle goes SBNO for 2020 and we don't get anything major next year. And in 2021 we get the "new" Eagle.

While you may not like HH there are a lot of people who do. Besides, it draws so much money in for the park and helps the dry park in the long run. We can’t get something every year and it’s about time they showed some love to the waterpark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby IssaCoaster on August 23rd, 2019, 12:26 pm
jmanporty7 wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote: Also, we had an S&S ride called Joker, but then we got Maxx this year, another S&S!

I facepalmed so hard reading this [emoji38] [emoji38]

Joker and Maxx Force are two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT models. One is a 4D wing coaster, and the other is a sitdown launch coaster.

Why do we have 4 B&M's? Because they are all COMPLETELY DIFFERENT models. Invert, flyer, hyper, wing. They all provide a different ride experience from each other.

A topper track woodie (Goliath) and i-box steel coaster (RMC Eagle) are not that different at all. Both would provide similar feeling airtime, inversions, and pacing. Just because they may have different layout with different elements, doesn't mean they aren't similar rides.
They won't be similar rides. Do we really have to keep comparing these two?[emoji23] And if they keep it dueling, they definetly won't be similar experiences. This is like comparing Goliath to Twisted Collosus and saying that they are too similar to be in the same park. Plus, Six Flags doesn't care. If this ride can draw people in, they will build it. And the GP won't care that much either. Even comparing Goliath to Outlaw is

IssaCoaster

Postby jmanporty7 on August 23rd, 2019, 12:53 pm
IssaCoaster wrote:And if they keep it dueling, they definetly won't be similar experiences. This is like comparing Goliath to Twisted Collosus and saying that are too similar to be in the same park.

Aha! You just helped prove my point my and you didn't even know it :lol: :lol:

IF they do keep Eagle dueling post RMC treatment... then yes, of course they will be different experiences. But how are we so sure that RMC eagle will be a dueling coaster? We all know that Six Flags LOVES to cut corners when building new attractions, especially with these hybrid conversions. And with an out back layout the Eagle has, it would be pretty hard to keep it two tracks on a cheap budget. Making the giant helix an standard turnaround and removing the finale helices at the end probably won't bring the price down as much as Six Flags would like.

I'm very skeptical of this project because if Eagle were to be RMC'd, I want them to do it right. But I'm afraid Six Flags will cheap out.
jmanporty7

Postby Deadly_comet21 on August 23rd, 2019, 1:19 pm
I was just at the park on the 22nd and when getting off of Goliath the attendant said be sure to check out American Eagle before we tare it down.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Deadly_comet21

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 23rd, 2019, 1:20 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:We already had Demon, but then they built a larger version of it in Shockwave! It's quite similar, just larger and 3 more inversions.

While you may not like HH there are a lot of people who do. Besides, it draws so much money in for the park and helps the dry park in the long run. We can’t get something every year and it’s about time they showed some love to the waterpark.

Didn't say I don't like HH. I just really prefer coasters over HH! I've been to HH 1x, I've been to Noah's Ark (a very good waterpark), I've been to a great waterpark in OK. I think HH is just fine as it is.

Sven - can you pull us some financials on how much $$ HH brings in?? Maybe something you got from the conference call or the quarterly earnings?? I am curious in reality how much incremental revenue HH actually brings in. It has a much shorter operating season than the coaster side.
Last edited by CoasterRiderSC on August 23rd, 2019, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby jmanporty7 on August 23rd, 2019, 1:20 pm
Deadly_comet21 wrote:I was just at the park on the 22nd and when getting off of Goliath the attendant said be sure to check out American Eagle before we tare it down.

They said the same thing about Viper, V2, and Demon [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
jmanporty7

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 23rd, 2019, 1:21 pm
jmanporty7 wrote:

I facepalmed so hard reading this :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the lesson :) I put the S&S blurb in there purposely to get someone's reaction!! Obviously Joker and Maxx are totally different. But my point about Shockwave was a valid one 8)

Eagle RMC <> Goliath necessarily.....

CoasterRiderSC

Postby JT2002 on August 23rd, 2019, 1:50 pm
Deadly_comet21 wrote:I was just at the park on the 22nd and when getting off of Goliath the attendant said be sure to check out American Eagle before we tare it down.

Don't trust that dude. I think I know that dude, and he's always spreading rumors
JT2002

Postby gottastrata33 on August 23rd, 2019, 3:33 pm
I love HH & hope we get a great addition to it next year. It needs attractions just as much as the regular park does. It's a really great collection & actually a well done water park. & imagine if we didn't have it. All those people would be crammed in the dry park. Sooo it's necessary.

I dream of the 400ft "Great American SkyScreamer". x
gottastrata33

Postby SycoCoasterDad on August 23rd, 2019, 4:07 pm
sfgamnut17 wrote:
SFGAM_Hog wrote:
sfgamnut17 wrote:Saw this online, might be dumb but...

What if the picture of Joker after every video is a hint of RMC eagle in 2021 or the AE closure for RMC?Image

Sent from my SM-J337P using Tapatalk

How does a picture of Joker hint at that? I don't understand
The joker track was made by RMC

Joker was made by S&S, not RMC.

SycoCoasterDad

Postby jmanporty7 on August 23rd, 2019, 4:23 pm
SycoCoasterDad wrote:
sfgamnut17 wrote:
SFGAM_Hog wrote:[quote="sfgamnut17"]Saw this online, might be dumb but...

What if the picture of Joker after every video is a hint of RMC eagle in 2021 or the AE closure for RMC?Image

How does a picture of Joker hint at that? I don't understand
The joker track was made by RMC

Joker was made by S&S, not RMC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]The track was supplied by RMC believe it or not. S&S designed the coaster, supplied the trains and supports, and did all the mechanical stuff.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
jmanporty7

Postby RCTClassic on August 23rd, 2019, 4:37 pm
Joker track is made by RMC. S&S designs it and sells it to the park, but S&S freefly coaster track is 100% manufactured by RMC.
RCTClassic

Postby anewman35 on August 23rd, 2019, 4:41 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
Sven - can you pull us some financials on how much $$ HH brings in?? Maybe something you got from the conference call or the quarterly earnings?? I am curious in reality how much incremental revenue HH actually brings in. It has a much shorter operating season than the coaster side.

I feel like it would be really hard to get any meaningful numbers about what HH brings in because so many people (any season passholder) doesn't pay anything for it at all, and even the people who do pay just pay a small fee, not a full admission. I'm sure they have surveys or whatever that indicate to them what value they get from HH, but I doubt they would release that information
anewman35

Postby anewman35 on August 23rd, 2019, 4:51 pm
IssaCoaster wrote:
jmanporty7 wrote:

I facepalmed so hard reading this [emoji38] [emoji38]

They won't be similar rides. Do we really have to keep comparing these two?[emoji23] And if they keep it dueling, they definetly won't be similar experiences. This is like comparing Goliath to Twisted Collosus and saying that they are too similar to be in the same park. Plus, Six Flags doesn't care. If this ride can draw people in, they will build it. And the GP won't care that much either. Even comparing Goliath to Outlaw is

Goliath and potential RMC Eagle (and Twisted Colossus and Outlaw Run) are all in the general category of 'RMC coaster'. You can say how different they each are, but they all fit in the category (just like every single B&M inverted is a B&M inverted, even if they provide different experiences). There are exceptions, yes, but generally parks aren't going to put in two rides in the same category in less than a decade, especially when it's a new and still pretty uncommon category.

You're right, Six Flags just wants to bring people in. But if they RMC the Eagle, there's a significant portion of people who will see pictures of it and think it's just another Goliath and not think it's worth coming. That might not be true, but I think it's one of many reasons this isn't happening. If they were going to contract with RMC, wouldn't it make more sense from a chain standpoint to do something in St. Louis or Great Adventure or somewhere with nothing like a RMC at all before we get our second?
anewman35

Postby anewman35 on August 23rd, 2019, 4:52 pm
Not saying it means anything, but Screamscape tweeted based on the last teaser that it could be a Mack Power Splash. And it's known that SFoT is getting one, and we all know Six Flags love of putting the same ride in multiple parks...
anewman35

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 23rd, 2019, 4:52 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:I love HH & hope we get a great addition to it next year. It needs attractions just as much as the regular park does. It's a really great collection & actually a well done water park. & imagine if we didn't have it. All those people would be crammed in the dry park. Sooo it's necessary.

Hmmm, I don't know that HH is "necessary". I was going to Great America many years before HH was built and before we had 16 coasters and wait times were reasonable. I would submit that some folks that go into HH do not go into coaster side.

CoasterRiderSC

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum