Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Way too early 2020 predictions!

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby IssaCoaster on August 23rd, 2019, 5:08 pm
anewman35 wrote:Not saying it means anything, but Screamscape tweeted based on the last teaser that it could be a Mack Power Splash. And it's known that SFoT is getting one, and we all know Six Flags love of putting the same ride in multiple parks...
I doubt we would get one. Where would they put it? The only place I see where this can go is by log and flumes. Unless you want to splash the guest into that nasty water by the Whizzer[emoji23]. Get some Cholera up in this joint. I think it will be a waterpark addition.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
IssaCoaster

Postby jmanporty7 on August 23rd, 2019, 5:09 pm
anewman35 wrote:Not saying it means anything, but Screamscape tweeted based on the last teaser that it could be a Mack Power Splash. And it's known that SFoT is getting one, and we all know Six Flags love of putting the same ride in multiple parks...
Hmm that's interesting.... Where could a Power Splash even go? I know they don't take up that much space, but they do still require a long narrow stretch of land wide enough for a splash zone.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
jmanporty7

Postby anewman35 on August 23rd, 2019, 6:34 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
gottastrata33 wrote:I love HH & hope we get a great addition to it next year. It needs attractions just as much as the regular park does. It's a really great collection & actually a well done water park. & imagine if we didn't have it. All those people would be crammed in the dry park. Sooo it's necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm, I don't know that HH is "necessary". I was going to Great America many years before HH was built and before we had 16 coasters and wait times were reasonable. I would submit that some folks that go into HH do not go into coaster side.

So I've never really understood the price setup of our park. If you're a single day person, you can pay ~$60 for just the theme park, or ~$60 + ~$10 for the water park. There's no way to JUST pay for the water park. And I doubt many people want to pay $70 for a day at the water park, so I wonder how many single-day people they lose by not having a ~$30 'Water Park Only' ticket.
anewman35

Postby JackGlass on August 23rd, 2019, 7:30 pm
Mack Power splash would be great. But it seems that a water coaster is more likely. Given the open plot of land next to Maxx Force, that is nowhere near long enough to support a Power Splash.
JackGlass

Postby gottastrata33 on August 23rd, 2019, 7:50 pm
I would scream. I'd be like what?! & it would fit the continuation of coasters he mentioned. Where's that pic I made made forever ago of a power splash in HH? Was it this thread?
gottastrata33

Postby ledgeland on August 23rd, 2019, 10:09 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:I would scream. I'd be like what?! & it would fit the continuation of coasters he mentioned. Where's that pic I made made forever ago of a power splash in HH? Was it this thread?

I think it is on page 5. Looks like you took up parking lot space to put it right in the front of the HH entrance.
ledgeland

Postby gottastrata33 on August 24th, 2019, 12:11 am
YES.

I think JackGlass & I are onto somethin here lol do it six flags!!
gottastrata33

Postby JackGlass on August 24th, 2019, 3:00 am
gottastrata33 wrote:YES.

I think JackGlass & I are onto somethin here lol do it six flags!!

If it does turn out to be a Power Splash. It would be the spiritual successor to Splash Water Falls.... which opened in 1986... Maybe that's what the 86 is referring to.
JackGlass

Postby gottastrata33 on August 24th, 2019, 4:28 am
Whooaa! Cmon Thursday!!
gottastrata33

Postby Tardis1972 on August 24th, 2019, 10:36 am
I personally would love to Mack Power Splash in 2020. That or a record breaking water coaster.
Tardis1972

Postby gottastrata33 on August 24th, 2019, 10:39 am
I'd love one of those whacky Intamin water coasters. That could easily take a record. Buttt a power splash looks fun. I do think we need an actual water slide water coaster though. So I'll be happy with that.
gottastrata33

Postby JackGlass on August 24th, 2019, 1:36 pm
I wonder if Magic Mountains new for 2020 attraction will be... West Coast Racers :lol:

I think Magic Mountain will give Viper the Blue Hawk treatment for its 30th anniversary. Great Adventure will get a ground up RMC like Zadra and Great America will get a Water Coaster.
JackGlass

Postby gottastrata33 on August 24th, 2019, 8:31 pm
I was really thinking we'd see someone get a dive coaster after those surveys.
gottastrata33

Postby jmanporty7 on August 24th, 2019, 8:58 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:I was really thinking we'd see someone get a dive coaster after those surveys.
I'm thinking GAdv still has a possibility of getting one. I predict GAdv is either gonna get a dive, premier launch, or a ground up RMC (single rail or topper/I-box).

jmanporty7

Postby gottastrata33 on August 25th, 2019, 3:11 am
A lot of speculation on another coaster coming cause of "continuing the trend" which yes, would be crazy but remember they could let alone would say our 18th coaster is a water coaster (water slide). I'm not convinced about an actual coaster. Come August 29th you can make fun of me for the second year in a row IF it is. ;)
gottastrata33

Postby IssaCoaster on August 25th, 2019, 3:18 am
I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a water coaster. Next year we can talk about another rollercoaster.

IssaCoaster

Postby UnclePennybags on August 25th, 2019, 3:35 am
First, I wouldn't have expected that Hurricane Harbor (HH) would be getting a water coaster or a PowerSplash only one year after the dry park received Maxx Force (MF). I was expecting something small in 2020, like a kids area revamp or another Ignite stage. However, let's run with the idea that HH will be getting something substantial.

Previous posts have suggested that the undeveloped land around MF might be a large enough area to encompass a large water attraction. There *is* land there that should probably be incorporated into HH, but I don't see it as being enough.

I created the following map to get an idea about the free land available around MF. This was done by marrying up satellite imagery with pictures I've been taking from the ground and from Sky Trek Tower. This has been an imperfect endeavor and a time-consuming pain in the ***, so cut me some slack if you see something you don't agree with.

The red line represents the approximate straight-line run of track for MF. The green lines are diagramming the approximate locations of the MF station and exit ramp. The light blue ellipse is marking an area of land that is graded down to the MF track (the track is in a trough that runs under the train bridge).

In this map, I've bounded an area with yellow lines that I believe would be of better use within HH. Unfortunately, this area would not be large enough for a major water attraction. At a minimum, additional lounge chairs could be added to alleviate the shortage of HH seating on busy days. Alternately, a small attraction like Surf Rider would fit nicely. Maybe the park could drop in a bunch of cabanas or 20 hot tubs. I don't know what this area could be used for, but I don't think it would be for something *big*.

Some have suggested that Tornado could be shipped off to Magic Waters and a new attraction could take its place. One, this area isn't that big, and two, this area is a custom fit for Tornado. Unless there's something wrong with Tornado that has yet to be discussed, I don't see a compelling reason to get rid of it. I don't see many attractions of equal or better caliber to Tornado that could take its spot.

In 2018, before we knew we were getting MF, some speculated that the old Pictorium would be replaced by a HH expansion. Some others were hoping that this wouldn't be the case because they believed the dry park was pretty much full (no vacant areas), but HH could always expand into the parking lot.

Sacrificing parking space for HH makes a lot of sense to me. For the price of approximately 150 parking spots, you could get a contiguous area of land that would be large enough for a major water attraction.

In the map below, I ran a couple of parallel green lines representing a new throughway into the parking lot. There are two areas bounded by yellow lines that could encompass new rides. The smaller of the two is the area around Tornado. The larger pie-shaped area is land that could be absorbed from the parking lot to build a large water ride. The short red lines were added to draw attention to the current, "path to nowhere".

This post assumes a new HH attraction is coming in 2020. If it will be as big as a water coaster or a PowerSplash, I would expect that it would only fit via an expansion into the parking lot area.
Last edited by UnclePennybags on August 25th, 2019, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
UnclePennybags

Postby anewman35 on August 25th, 2019, 9:43 am
I feel like (if they're willing to get a bit creative) they could get a water coaster in there that uses the land by Maxx Force, the Tornado area, and maybe even part of the parking lot. My inspiration is the indoor water park at Kalahari at Wisconsin Dells. They have a water coaster that's largely suspended above everything else.

There's nothing tall in that entire area except the Tornado, so if they're at all flexible about putting rides over paths/pools/lazy rivers (which I know Six Flags seems to usually not be), they have plenty of space...
anewman35

Postby UnclePennybags on August 25th, 2019, 9:52 am
anewman35 wrote:There's nothing tall in that entire area except the Tornado, so if they're at all flexible about putting rides over paths/pools/lazy rivers (which I know Six Flags seems to usually not be), they have plenty of space...

Agreed. I was thinking the same thing when I was trying to carve up 2D land areas. If the park would go 3D and add rides *over* other rides, then anything can happen. However, I didn't think this would happen, so I eliminated this possibility from my last post.

As a side note, if going over or around Hurricane Harbor wouldn't be a problem, some time in the future the dry park could construct a roller coaster around the water park, similar to the way Magnum XL-200 does the same at Cedar Point.
Last edited by UnclePennybags on August 25th, 2019, 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UnclePennybags

Postby coasterfanatic on August 25th, 2019, 12:48 pm
They only thing I’m convinced of at this point is that something is leaving Hurricane Harbor and being moved to Magic Waters. Beyond that, we just don’t know. The weather theme of the videos could be because the name of the new attraction is Hurricane Force or something like that. We shall see what final teasers show.

coasterfanatic

Postby B&MGuy35 on August 25th, 2019, 1:56 pm
coasterfanatic wrote:They only thing I’m convinced of at this point is that something is leaving Hurricane Harbor and being moved to Magic Waters. Beyond that, we just don’t know. The weather theme of the videos could be because the name of the new attraction is Hurricane Force or something like that. We shall see what final teasers show.

Teasers are done
This past week was the final teaser for both parks. Announcement is this coming Thursday

B&MGuy35

Postby staticshadows on August 25th, 2019, 2:04 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:I was really thinking we'd see someone get a dive coaster after those surveys.

Keep an eye on Fiesta Texas. One of their hotline teasers emphasized the word "Dive" and the Park President is teasing the removal of either the Sundance Theater or the Lonestar Lil's Amphitheater. It's possible they get a new prototype dive coaster that isn't made by B&M.
staticshadows

Postby jmanporty7 on August 25th, 2019, 2:56 pm
staticshadows wrote:

Keep an eye on Fiesta Texas. One of their hotline teasers emphasized the word "Dive" and the Park President is teasing the removal of either the Sundance Theater or the Lonestar Lil's Amphitheater. It's possible they get a new prototype dive coaster that isn't made by B&M.
Gerstlauer maybe? Or Mack?

jmanporty7

Postby IssaCoaster on August 25th, 2019, 3:40 pm
jmanporty7 wrote:
staticshadows wrote:

Gerstlauer maybe? Or Mack?

Mack may be too expensive. We'll see though.

IssaCoaster

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 26th, 2019, 10:13 am
A power splash would fit in V2's spot, and would be a nice tie-in to the 2 flumes......
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum