Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Maxx Force NEW FOR 2019

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby UnclePennybags on August 30th, 2018, 8:48 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:^ Also, would it even be possible to let the ride brake into the station like that? It seems like a very steep angle that riders would still be waiting from.

Agreed. From the video, you can tell that Maxx's last descent is very close to Hurricane Harbor, if not *in* Hurricane Harbor. The support beams for the last inversion look like they extend out towards Monsoon Lagoon and Wipeout. If this is the case, you could get up to 200 feet of track for the brake run if the station is closer to the railway tracks.
Last edited by UnclePennybags on August 31st, 2018, 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
UnclePennybags

Postby SFGAM_Hog on August 30th, 2018, 8:53 pm
If Maxx Force actually does have more to it than that I could expect an s-bend and a helix. I really can't see it braking into the station like that.

Edit: In the video, you can see brakes on the dive loop :/
SFGAM_Hog

Postby UnclePennybags on August 30th, 2018, 8:57 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:If Maxx Force actually does have more to it than that I could expect an s-bend and a helix. I really can't see it braking into the station like that.

If the video is accurate, it looks like it descends directly inline with the station.

UnclePennybags

Postby UnclePennybags on August 30th, 2018, 8:59 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:Edit: In the video, you can see brakes on the dive loop :/

Good catch. I didn't notice the brakes.

UnclePennybags

Postby Mean Streaker on August 30th, 2018, 11:19 pm
UnclePennybags wrote:
SFGAM_Hog wrote:Edit: In the video, you can see brakes on the dive loop :/

Good catch. I didn't notice the brakes.

Please no!!!
Mean Streaker

Postby JaminOut on August 31st, 2018, 12:01 am
Watch MadMaxx have one train lol
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on August 31st, 2018, 12:13 am
The more I look at this ride, the more I feel a lot of coaster enthusiasts outside our park will view this as a weird coaster. I think it is like a Sky Rocket 2 but with an out and back layout almost. Like I am not trying to trash the ride, I am really excited for it and believe it will be one of my favorites, but this is a very weird ride. Its like the same length as TTD and KK but with inversions and not about the height. Other enthusiasts will criticize this ride heavy. And I myself agree this is one weird ride. But it will be an awesome weird ride!
Sucker for a launch, custom audio and Viper | Coaster Count: 507
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby B&MGuy35 on August 31st, 2018, 12:30 am
JaminOut wrote:Watch MadMaxx have one train lol

2 train operation
You can see it in the animation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby AirTimeDaz on August 31st, 2018, 7:56 am
Wow I didn't initially realize how short of a ride this is. So basically, you launch into the double inversion then transition into an elongated barrel roll over the train before diving back into the station?
AirTimeDaz

Postby SFGAM_Hog on August 31st, 2018, 8:07 am
^ After the launch, it looks about 10 seconds long. This ride isn't about duration though, it's about the insane launch and record inversions. I think walking into it knowing how short it is, you won't be as disappointed, that's how I'm thinking of it.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby RBullFan97 on August 31st, 2018, 8:07 am
AirTimeDaz wrote:Wow I didn't initially realize how short of a ride this is. So basically, you launch into the double inversion then transition into an elongated barrel roll over the train before diving back into the station?

Pretty much. Based on the No Limits recreations so far the ride will probably be about 23 seconds or so. Honestly though, a ride like this doesn't need to be that long. 23 seconds is about how long TTD is and Hyper Sonic XLC was. I mean, 5 inversions on a ride this short is pretty good if you ask me (even if it's really only like 3 elements).
SFGAm Ride Count 2018: 286
SFGAm Ride Count 2019: 252
SFGAm Ride Count 2020: Well, ya know...
RBullFan97

Postby JackGlass on August 31st, 2018, 8:08 am
This thing is probably going to have a really long line built, so people aren't overflowing into carousel plaza, lol
JackGlass

Postby x-flight on August 31st, 2018, 8:25 am
_FuryBull_330_ wrote:Ride Wait Time for Maxx Force: 3 hrs

Ride Wait Time for Goliath: 15 min.

Hopefully these are the results because if so I will be both happy and disappointed. But hey I can wait that long :D .

3 hours at least it will be crazy
x-flight

Postby AirTimeDaz on August 31st, 2018, 8:37 am
RBullFan97 wrote:
AirTimeDaz wrote:Wow I didn't initially realize how short of a ride this is. So basically, you launch into the double inversion then transition into an elongated barrel roll over the train before diving back into the station?

Pretty much. Based on the No Limits recreations so far the ride will probably be about 23 seconds or so. Honestly though, a ride like this doesn't need to be that long. 23 seconds is about how long TTD is and Hyper Sonic XLC was. I mean, 5 inversions on a ride this short is pretty good if you ask me (even if it's really only like 3 elements).

Yea that's true but I was just really hoping for a full circuit launch that took you on more of a journey. It looks fun and all, & the inversions look cool but inversions in general aren't really my jam. Would have loved to see an airtime hill. Thank god it at least has that pop of air coming out of the launch.
AirTimeDaz

Postby jmanporty7 on August 31st, 2018, 9:19 am
It looks like the station building holds 2 trains at once. Kind of like how TTD and Maverick's station works, except the train in front is loading while the train in back is unloading. It's actually is the exact same way some Disney coasters work as well as Flight of Fear and Backlot Stunt Coaster.

Did this make any sense? :lol:
jmanporty7

Postby Mean Streaker on August 31st, 2018, 10:03 am
What do you guy thinks of Copperhead Strike?

Do you think Maxx Force will be better?

I personally wish it could've been a multi launch coaster, or at least not had breaks in the final element...
Mean Streaker

Postby JackGlass on August 31st, 2018, 10:27 am
Mean Streaker wrote:What do you guy thinks of Copperhead Strike?

I personally wish it could've been a multi launch coaster, or at least not had breaks in the final element...

Copperhead Strike looks cool. But I would rather have Maxx Force, because it looks a lot more intense. But definitely a great addition to Carowinds!
JackGlass

Postby Airboss on August 31st, 2018, 10:37 am
I made this recreation of Maxx Force:

https://youtu.be/6ye7cQUPmZQ

I used an overlay to ensure it's the right scale, it ended up being 1,607' long for anyone wondering. Almost half as long as Goliath. However when you compare it to rides like TTD and Xcelerator, it makes sense that it's short. It's all about that launch.
Airboss

Postby JT2002 on August 31st, 2018, 10:41 am
JackGlass wrote:
Mean Streaker wrote:What do you guy thinks of Copperhead Strike?

Copperhead Strike looks cool. But I would rather have Maxx Force, because it looks a lot more intense. But definitely a great addition to Carowinds!

I would say our addition is more unique than Carowinds, even though theirs may be a longer, and overall better ride.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby UnclePennybags on August 31st, 2018, 11:23 am
Airboss wrote:I made this recreation of Maxx Force:

I used an overlay to ensure it's the right scale, it ended up being 1,607' long for anyone wondering. Almost half as long as Goliath. However when you compare it to rides like TTD and Xcelerator, it makes sense that it's short. It's all about that launch.

This rendering is *so* cool. The out and back look a little short, but this is really impressive. How much time did you expend to create this video? Looks like quite a few hours of effort.
UnclePennybags

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 31st, 2018, 11:30 am
JackGlass wrote:I'm surprised there were no more skywarps or raptors! However... they did manage to throw in two more super loops :lol:

In my opinion, we got the best addition hands down! West coast racers looks cool, but I would much rather have Maxx Force than that! Hopefully this coaster build up continues! Great America is really becoming a world class thrill park!

We're still missing some major coasters (Large looper, Giga, Single rail) But I have no doubt those voids will be filled in time! Jim Reid Anderson has given us a B&M wing rider, A ground up RMC, A 4D Freespin and now a Full circuit launch! Are we better off than we were when he first became CEO? The answer is hell yeah! lol

Well, at least 3 of those 4 are actually good rides :) (Joker can go anytime to another park)
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 31st, 2018, 11:34 am
UnclePennybags wrote:
Ilovthevu' wrote:So realistically, is this is a 30 second coaster? The ride video seems to show parts of it over and over and over again. I don't mind a 30 second coaster though.

It *looks* like a 30 second coaster. I carved up the official video and spliced the pieces together to try to get an idea of the actual run time. There are a few dead spots in the video that don't cover some sections of the track, and several duplicate pieces (same section of track, different POV), but from what I got, the edited video ran short of 30 seconds. However, you can extrapolate from the video that the actual run would be closer to 30 seconds.

Kingda Ka and Top Thrill Dragster are about 30 and 20 seconds, respectively, so I don't have a problem with 30 seconds, either. If the ride intensity is there, it'll just come down to how long I'll have to wait in line to determine if this coaster works for me or not.

Great job with all those screen grabs you posted! Makes it easier to view the various elements of the coaster. I hadn't realized (until your post) that this will go UNDER the train! That could be a major "head chopper" element!
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby SaveTheWAVE on August 31st, 2018, 11:40 am
The entrance to the 175` double inversion is going to have grey-out g-forces. The exit of the same maneuver will probably produce excellent inverted airtime. After that, another heavy g-force moment leading to the super-fast zero g roll. A super-snappy change of direction follows that exits to an elevated wave-turn-like element, then another inversion before coming to a dead stop just feet away from the station. The deceleration should produce some nice forces, but in the opposite direction of the launch. This ride will sneak up on peeps and blow them away. I think it will be the most intense ride in the park when it opens.
SaveTheWAVE

Postby Airboss on August 31st, 2018, 2:52 pm
UnclePennybags wrote:
Airboss wrote:I made this recreation of Maxx Force:

This rendering is *so* cool. The out and back look a little short, but this is really impressive. How much time did you expend to create this video? Looks like quite a few hours of effort.

Thank you! I built that entire layout in about an hour and a half, didn't take too long. Refining the shaping and curvature of the elements took the most amount of time, and I'm still not done with that :D Hoping the park releases a full POV of the ride soon.
Airboss

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 31st, 2018, 3:15 pm
jmanporty7 wrote:It looks like the station building holds 2 trains at once. Kind of like how TTD and Maverick's station works, except the train in front is loading while the train in back is unloading. It's actually is the exact same way some Disney coasters work as well as Flight of Fear and Backlot Stunt Coaster.

Did this make any sense? :lol:

What you are saying makes sense, but I don't like it. I don't think a 12 person ride needs 2 stations, and especially an unloading station. I think it should have only 1 station, run 3 trains, but have a long pre-staging area after the train is loading, it would sit until it goes. If your park can't load 12 people in 30 seconds, your park has HUGE problems. I seen Batman the Ride load (32 people) in 1 minute a bunch of times.

Some might say well, what about Top Thrill? They have 2 stations plus an unloading station. Those trains are bigger (being 20 people), and the unloading station is still a waste of money in my opinion. They are also spending a TON of money on operations (having 2 stations & unloading) by doing so. Disney also spends TONS of money having unloading, and multiple stations for their coasters. I personally like the Kingda Ka & Mr. Freeze style stations instead of 1 train in back of the other. That is a more efficient way of doing 2 stations, but again I don't think ride needs more than 1 station, just run-off track instead.

A lot of times, Six Flags will have 2 separate stations with Tatsu, Kingda Ka, Superman Ultimate Flight, etc at other parks, but they aren't always running both sides because it's all about costing too much money.

I don't think the unloading people are a problem as these parks think. The real problem is that they don't make the gate to leave LARGE enough to let the people leave faster. Raging Bull has a very, very HORRIBLE / HORRENDOUS exit area. The turnstyle slows it down so much, and you are just stuck in that area waiting to leave forever. The exit area (GATE) just needs to be WIDER / BIGGER. It's not that complicated, and they should do away with the turnstyle exit. A LARGER opening exit gate is your answer to unloading efficiency. You also make the ramp coming from the exit area wider such as Vertical Velocity (at first) which Raging Bull fails at again.

I really, really like the LOADING area (big enough) for Raging Bull, but the EXITING / UNLOADING area is really, really bad (horrible) for that ride.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum