Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Maxx Force NEW FOR 2019

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby B&MGuy35 on July 16th, 2019, 5:45 pm
I don’t sorry
But the railing are all done
Just some touch up paint is left.

Also I noticed the ride reprogramming
Couple of things. The returning train basically comes all the way back to the station rather then stopping back on the down part of the brake run. The drive wheels are also faster as the train lives into the station much quicker. People are boarding on on train now when the other one is launching. Also the launch happens quicker now. There used to be a 3 second pause after brake fins drop, but now it’s basically as soon as the last fin drops, the train launches. Line was moving pretty quickly. Sign said 45 mins but we only waited about 30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby SaveTheWAVE on July 16th, 2019, 6:03 pm
I'm glad to hear that Maxx Force is pulling into the station directly after the ride cycle.
Its good to keep the adrenaline going after the ride.
I wonder if stopping on the brakes was a buzz kill for some riders?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
SaveTheWAVE

Postby JT2002 on July 16th, 2019, 6:10 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:I don’t sorry

Couple of things. The returning train basically comes all the way back to the station rather then stopping back on the down part of the brake run. The drive wheels are also faster as the train lives into the station much quicker. People are boarding on on train now when the other one is launching. Also the launch happens quicker now. There used to be a 3 second pause after brake fins drop, but now it’s basically as soon as the last fin drops, the train launches. Line was moving pretty quickly. Sign said 45 mins but we only waited about 30.

Woah, management did this ride right. They are definitely doing all they can to make it a much better experience, though the station is still a bit boring. Now we just need some shade.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby redrobinround on July 16th, 2019, 7:17 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:I don’t sorry

what was it before?

redrobinround

Postby Airboss on July 16th, 2019, 8:37 pm
redrobinround wrote:what was it before?

I only have an "after" video, but I can describe what it was like before the programming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMsmmmN2Ick

You'll see that now (after the reprogramming), the train comes to a complete stop, and then slowly advances forwards before parking with the front half of the train on the switch track. Before the reprogramming, the initial complete stop would be the final parking position for the train.
Airboss

Postby ledgeland on July 16th, 2019, 9:03 pm
Yeah, the line was moving much faster today. We rarely stood still for very long and from around the park it was easy to hear that the ride was launching much more often. Today we waited about 35 minutes with most of the queue near the station full - last time we went it took over an hour from that point.

I wonder if they had to wait until it was clear everything was running relatively smoothly with the launch system before running at a greater capacity/reduced times between launches, in addition to the other changes already mentioned. Whatever the case it was a big difference in line speed today.
ledgeland

Postby redrobinround on July 16th, 2019, 9:20 pm
Does the other train still have to be parked to launch

redrobinround

Postby ilrider on July 16th, 2019, 9:40 pm
Others beat me to it, but I could definitely hear the increase in the frequency of launches tonight, even though we did not ride. Launch intervals sounded like two minutes tops, maybe even faster at times.
ilrider

Postby cliffhanger on July 16th, 2019, 9:59 pm
Airboss wrote:

I only have an "after" video, but I can describe what it was like before the programming...

Here's a video showing the original program, https://youtu.be/n_0LSGxD75s
cliffhanger

Postby Airboss on July 16th, 2019, 10:19 pm
^ thanks for linking that!

redrobinround wrote:Does the other train still have to be parked to launch

As of last Friday, yes. However this is irrelevant, as the train stacks on the brake run anyways. If the train launched 10 seconds earlier, it would just end up sitting on the brakes at the end of the ride for 10 seconds longer, so it wouldn't make a difference in capacity. The block advancements they need to focus on speeding up are Station -> Launch and FBR -> Station, Launch -> FBR can take as long as it needs to without any negative impact.
Airboss

Postby redrobinround on July 16th, 2019, 10:30 pm
Airboss wrote:^ thanks for linking that!

redrobinround wrote:Does the other train still have to be parked to launch

As of last Friday, yes. However this is irrelevant, as the train stacks on the brake run anyways. If the train launched 10 seconds earlier, it would just end up sitting on the brakes at the end of the ride for 10 seconds longer, so it wouldn't make a difference in capacity. The block advancements they need to focus on speeding up are Station -> Launch and FBR -> Station, Launch -> FBR can take as long as it needs to without any negative impact.
They should do what they do on raging bull “This train is leaving the station in (__) seconds”

redrobinround

Postby IssaCoaster on July 16th, 2019, 10:34 pm
Did MaxxForce go down at all today?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
IssaCoaster

Postby coasterlove on July 17th, 2019, 1:33 am
coasterfanatic wrote:I consider myself a coaster enthusiast but Steel vegenance is not the best coaster ever made. It’s not even close for me! If Raptor was at our park, I likely wouldn’t ride it much. It meanders way too much. Batman is known for its insensity. It’s so intense because everything happens at once. The longer the ride the more meandering it tends to do. Like Gatekeeper. Great ride but once you hit the break run, it just meanders. The brake run is there just because CP wants a third train.

And you're just one person. That doesn't take away from the fact that many others do consider it one of the best coaster so just restating what you said doesn't really change anything. I don't see how Raptor 'meanders', that just sounds silly. It has two more inversions and an awesome helix at the end of the ride. Gatekeeper barely has anything after the midcourse brake run. Nothing wrong with it running three trains and adding to the capacity.
coasterlove

Postby coasterlove on July 17th, 2019, 1:40 am
CoasterRiderSC wrote:As for Maxx's 5 inversions I am questioning the final 2. It appears to be just 1 inversion total. I posed the question to rcdb.com and Duane said he's also questioning it. For whatever this is worth.....

After the 4th inversion, you turn back half upright, maybe 90 degrees or less. Whatever the exact angle is, you're no longer upside down so when you go into the dive loop and into the brakes, you turn upside down one last time for the 5th inversion.
coasterlove

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 17th, 2019, 4:03 am
IssaCoaster wrote:Did MaxxForce go down at all today?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Yes

I was on the last train when it went down for about 15 or 20 mins. However it was nothing to do with the launch. When we came back we could see them having trouble with a harness and they emptied the train and had everyone get back in line. Then they launched it so we could get into station to unload. They immediately launched our train again to get that problem train back into station. We walked away after that but were in the area so we noticed when it was back up and running.

B&MGuy35

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 17th, 2019, 10:44 am
^ As for shade, I'm wondering if they can't install something similar to what is at Sprocket Rockets and Little Dipper?
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 17th, 2019, 12:46 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:^ As for shade, I'm wondering if they can't install something similar to what is at Sprocket Rockets and Little Dipper?

Why install shade when so many are giving it too them.....

There’s enough shade for everyone!

B&MGuy35

Postby UnclePennybags on July 17th, 2019, 12:48 pm
Maxx just went down. Line not long. They’re currently doing testing.

Last edited by UnclePennybags on July 18th, 2019, 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
UnclePennybags

Postby UnclePennybags on July 17th, 2019, 1:02 pm
UnclePennybags wrote:Maxx just went down. Line not long. They’re currently doing testing.

it died just as i got to the station, so we were in the shade. ride just resumed.

Last edited by UnclePennybags on July 18th, 2019, 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
UnclePennybags

Postby redrobinround on July 17th, 2019, 1:06 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:^ As for shade, I'm wondering if they can't install something similar to what is at Sprocket Rockets and Little Dipper?

Why install shade when so many are giving it too them.....

There’s enough shade for everyone!

Have you seen those footings in the queue that is where the posts for shade will go

redrobinround

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 17th, 2019, 1:20 pm
coasterlove wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:As for Maxx's 5 inversions I am questioning the final 2. It appears to be just 1 inversion total. I posed the question to rcdb.com and Duane said he's also questioning it. For whatever this is worth.....

After the 4th inversion, you turn back half upright, maybe 90 degrees or less. Whatever the exact angle is, you're no longer upside down so when you go into the dive loop and into the brakes, you turn upside down one last time for the 5th inversion.

So you believe it's 5 inversions then? Duane Marden on rcdb was also questioning it so will be interesting to see how many inversions his site ultimately lists it as having.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby coasterfanatic on July 17th, 2019, 1:46 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
coasterlove wrote:

So you believe it's 5 inversions then? Duane Marden on rcdb was also questioning it so will be interesting to see how many inversions his site ultimately lists it as having.

Whether we agree with it or not, the park says it has 5 inversions then that’s what it needs to be listed as! Simple!

I don’t agree that the StupidLoop should be a coaster but the park counts it towards its coaster count so we have to accept it then.

coasterfanatic

Postby Jodon on July 17th, 2019, 2:08 pm
coasterfanatic wrote:I don’t agree that the StupidLoop should be a coaster but the park counts it towards its coaster count so we have to accept it then.

Yeah...that's not how it works. Parks can claim whatever they want, but that doesn't make it true or accurate. Great America claimed to be the cleanest park in the world the last 10-20 years. Do we have to accept that as true just because the park said so? Nope.
Jodon

Postby coasterfanatic on July 17th, 2019, 2:13 pm
Jodon wrote:
coasterfanatic wrote:I don’t agree that the StupidLoop should be a coaster but the park counts it towards its coaster count so we have to accept it then.

Yeah...that's not how it works. Parks can claim whatever they want, but that doesn't make it true or accurate. Great America claimed to be the cleanest park in the world the last 10-20 years. Do we have to accept that as true just because the park said so? Nope.

That’s completely how it works! You can’t just change how many inversions are on the ride because you said so! It’s billed as 5 inversions, then that is what you have to go by.

The cleanest thing park thing is a marketing thing. Stats for a ride are different. You can choose not to believe the stats but it would reflect poorly if you run a site and give stats opposite what the park and manufacture of the ride have said. They are the ones that built it.

I don’t agree that the StupidLoop is a coaster but when we you count how many coasters the park has, you have to count it because they do. That’s like saying Eagle isn’t 2 even though the park counts it as too. You’re comparing Apples to Oranges.

coasterfanatic

Postby Tardis1972 on July 17th, 2019, 2:26 pm
For what’s it’s worth RCDB has 5 inversions for Maxx Force but none them are listed yet though.
Tardis1972

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum