Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Maxx Force NEW FOR 2019

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby redrobinround on July 11th, 2019, 4:37 pm
JaminOut wrote:On V2 they say one-fifteen, as in 115 seconds. They need to wait until 120 seconds (two minutes) to launch. One-fifteen is V2’s version of “take five”.
I thought it was one minute for maxx force and they dont even try to go faster! They are just standing in the station not checking lap bars for at least a minute

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redrobinround

Postby IssaCoaster on July 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm
I would think that MaxxForce would need more time to cooldown than V2. 2 minutes seems like a good guess. Because there is a cable and I'm guessing there is some sort of pulley system in there. Those things probably heat up fast when they are subjected to the friction forces generated by the compressed air. I would highly doubt that they could send a train in less than 2 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
IssaCoaster

Postby cliffhanger on July 11th, 2019, 5:18 pm
redrobinround wrote:They are just standing in the station not checking lap bars for at least a minute

It's mainly the fault of the Guests. Having everyone crowd around the bins eats up time for loading. Riders also have to do thier seatbelts, so that takes a few seconds too.
cliffhanger

Postby Airboss on July 11th, 2019, 6:07 pm
IssaCoaster wrote:I would think that MaxxForce would need more time to cooldown than V2. 2 minutes seems like a good guess. Because there is a cable and I'm guessing there is some sort of pulley system in there. Those things probably heat up fast when they are subjected to the friction forces generated by the compressed air. I would highly doubt that they could send a train in less than 2 minutes.

I've seen Top Thrill Dragster launch trains 55 seconds apart (I've timed it before, this isn't just an estimate). Of course hydraulic launch vs. compressed air will be a little different, but I can't imagine it taking twice as long to compress air than to refill a cylinder with hydraulic fluid.

But honestly it doesn't matter if the launch cooldown time is high or low, since the loading cycle takes so long. A launch cooldown time of 30 seconds is useless if the loading cycle takes 2-3 minutes. Plus, the train waiting to launch has to wait for the train on the brake run to park in the station, so the launch cooldown clearly isn't the holdup.
Airboss

Postby coasterfanatic on July 11th, 2019, 6:22 pm
Regardless of how long they have to wait, I just don’t see under 2 minute dispatch times right now. Plus being a new ride, Six Flags probably doesn’t want to push anything. So if minimum waiting time is one minute, they may wait 1:15 or 1:30 just to be safe. Add in the time to load and unload guests in a small crowded station and the train in brake run needing to be in station! Maybe with time but from I’m aware, the amount of time they need for LIMs to cool down has increased over the years.

coasterfanatic

Postby IssaCoaster on July 11th, 2019, 6:36 pm
cliffhanger wrote:
redrobinround wrote:They are just standing in the station not checking lap bars for at least a minute

It's mainly the fault of the Guests. Having everyone crowd around the bins eats up time for loading. Riders also have to do thier seatbelts, so that takes a few seconds too.

That would actually be Six flags' fault for the bins. After all these years, you still haven't decided on a fast and efficient way to account for the guests' items?
IssaCoaster

Postby coasterfanatic on July 11th, 2019, 7:07 pm
IssaCoaster wrote:
cliffhanger wrote:

That would actually be Six flags' fault for the bins. After all these years, you still haven't decided on a fast and efficient way to account for the guests' items?

What do you suggest? They tried lockers but that didn’t work! There really is no other solution besides saying you can’t take anything with you on any ride but you know they aren’t going to do that. They minimally have to have a place for sports bottle holders.

coasterfanatic

Postby IssaCoaster on July 11th, 2019, 7:20 pm
coasterfanatic wrote:
IssaCoaster wrote:
cliffhanger wrote:[quote="redrobinround"]They are just standing in the station not checking lap bars for at least a minute

What do you suggest? They tried lockers but that didn’t work! There really is no other solution besides saying you can’t take anything with you on any ride but you know they aren’t going to do that. They minimally have to have a place for sports bottle holders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]They could do the thing they did for Yukon Striker if Six flags decided one day that they were gonna go above and beyond the six flags standards[emoji23]

IssaCoaster

Postby redrobinround on July 11th, 2019, 7:56 pm
the bag drop for x flight/v2 seems more efficient. it is a stand instrad of bin

redrobinround

Postby Jodon on July 11th, 2019, 8:05 pm
I'm heading to the park tomorrow...is MF back to opening with the park?

Jodon

Postby coasterkidd100 on July 11th, 2019, 8:24 pm
I am not sure if Maxx Force opened with the park today but it did not open with the park yesterday. It opened about 20 minutes late yesterday, had about three cycles with guests on the trains, and then went down for maintenance for over 30 minutes. Maxx Force ran with one train until I left the park at 3 PM yesterday. I am not sure if they ever put the second train back on.
coasterkidd100

Postby JaminOut on July 11th, 2019, 8:49 pm
Maxx did not open with the park today, but the MaxxForce page on the website is always up to date.
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby coasterfanatic on July 11th, 2019, 9:02 pm
redrobinround wrote:the bag drop for x flight/v2 seems more efficient. it is a stand instrad of bin

Those bins don’t lock. More susceptible to theft. That’s why they have the locking bins now.

coasterfanatic

Postby ledgeland on July 11th, 2019, 9:20 pm
cliffhanger wrote:

I'm glad that Maxx Force has bins. This is one thing that Six Flags has right compared to Cedar Fair. As someone who always has kids in tow, I appreciate being able to carry a small backpack for glasses, hats, phones, sunscreen, etc...

At KI and CP, before getting in a line you never know if there will be bins or not. Some rides do, some don't. The Fast Lane staff members at the front of the line don't consistently know if there are bins on their ride or not. Some rides have bins just for small items (Valravn has small bins for hats and phones but can't hold backpacks), and some rides have bins that a small backpack can fit in. Some rides have none and you have to get a locker. I don't mind paying for a locker, but I do mind paying for a locker that I didn't need. If you aren't a regular at Cedar Fair parks it's very confusing.

I do think the guests could have a little more common sense when using the bins. Like people getting on the ride should wait until the people who are getting off the ride clear the bin area before rushing to it with their things. But I'm glad Maxx Force has bins.
ledgeland

Postby coasterfanatic on July 11th, 2019, 9:32 pm
This is what slows down operations though. That’s why CP doesn’t have them at all rides. The time it takes for guests to take their stuff and oncoming riders to put stuff in slows it down.

coasterfanatic

Postby redrobinround on July 11th, 2019, 10:02 pm
and the people who spill their soda in the bins eww they should just have those stands like for x flight and v2

redrobinround

Postby coasterfanatic on July 11th, 2019, 10:55 pm
redrobinround wrote:and the people who spill their soda in the bins eww they should just have those stands like for x flight and v2

They won’t. That leads to increase in theft and they already were pressured by local police departments to help prevent theft. That’s why they have the locking bins. Why V2 and XFlight doesn’t have it is beyond me

coasterfanatic

Postby gottastrata33 on July 12th, 2019, 1:53 am
Well ...V2 doesn’t need it in terms or worrying about theft. There’s one train. It’s the one ride I’ll actually leave something like my sunglasses behind on cause another group of people aren’t coming near that “bin” until I get off.
gottastrata33

Postby Airboss on July 12th, 2019, 10:53 am
I'm at GAm right now. Maxx Force opened with the park.
Airboss

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 12th, 2019, 11:00 am
coasterfanatic wrote:No chance the park gets rid of Sky Trek! It closes for Fright Fest but is open all the time. It has decent ridership when I was there for MaxxForce Preview day.

Your in denial. They BEG people to ride Sky Trek Tower plus it's shut down 4 hours a day. That's how bad it is.

If Maxx Force has to wait 90 seconds, it does NOT matter about the bins. It's a 16 person, ride people. The employees must be really slow, if they can't get this thing out in 90 seconds. Either that, or like Raging Bull, it's ridiculous that people wait 30 seconds just to EXIT out of the station because they are still keeping that SLOW turnstyle. They need to get rid of it already! For Raging Bull, you just put that turnstyle right before you get in the station, and you put one of those metal fences (blue, black, or red they have in certain places) there so people are forced to go through it. And at the exit, you install just a simple gate that can be opened and closed like on outdoor Batman.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby cliffhanger on July 12th, 2019, 11:18 am
Ilovthevu' wrote:Your in denial. They BEG people to ride Sky Trek Tower. That's how bad it is.

If Maxx Force has to wait 90 seconds, it does NOT matter about the bins. It's a 16 person, ride people. The employees must be really slow, if they can't get this thing out in 90 seconds. Either that, or like Raging Bull, it's ridiculous that people wait 30 seconds just to get out of the station because they are still keeping that SLOW turnstyle. They need to get rid of it already!

I want to see them begging people to ride STT. Of course on the slower days, they don't fill the cabin, but it was really busy yesterday, and the queue filled back up by the time we came back down.
I have no idea where the 90 seconds thing comes from. At the commercial shoot, they were sending out empty trains to the launch section as soon as we pulled back into the station brakes. It is 80% the fault of the bins, and 20% the guests futzing around with seatbelts / checking and cycling restraints. Maxx Force doesn't even have a turnsile, it's gates like Joker has.
cliffhanger

Postby RBull4life on July 12th, 2019, 11:20 am
Airboss wrote:I'm at GAm right now. Maxx Force opened with the park.

Both trains?
RBull4life

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 12th, 2019, 11:20 am
^^It happened yesterday at opening. Please ride it. Please ride it. People just kept on walking by. It took forever to get the first ride of the day because no one wanted to ride it.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby JaminOut on July 12th, 2019, 11:23 am
Ilovthevu' wrote:
coasterfanatic wrote:No chance the park gets rid of Sky Trek! It closes for Fright Fest but is open all the time. It has decent ridership when I was there for MaxxForce Preview day.

Your in denial. They BEG people to ride Sky Trek Tower plus it's shut down 4 hours a day. That's how bad it is.

If Maxx Force has to wait 90 seconds, it does NOT matter about the bins. It's a 16 person, ride people. The employees must be really slow, if they can't get this thing out in 90 seconds. Either that, or like Raging Bull, it's ridiculous that people wait 30 seconds just to EXIT out of the station because they are still keeping that SLOW turnstyle. They need to get rid of it already! For Raging Bull, you just put that turnstyle right before you get in the station, and you put one of those metal fences (blue, black, or red they have in certain places) there so people are forced to go through it.

No. YOU’RE in denial. Sky Trek Tower many not be open during the entire park operation period - seasonally or daily - but Sky Trek fills the cabin to capacity every time I see it operate. It may not garnish a line, but people ride it and people enjoy it. It’s open when the park does because people are entering the park and it’s the first attraction people walk past and it remains open into the early afternoon for people who want a nice little break with a view. It closes for the late afternoon/early evening when most people are already somewhere in the loop and Carousel Plaza is fairly dead. Then it reopens in the late evening for a view of the park during the sunset. I bet it would remain open all day of Six Flags wasn’t trying to cut corners wherever possible.

It’s not leaving, we aren’t getting a Skyscreamer in its spot. Even if the park wanted to remove it, it would be a hassle. The ride is surrounded on all sides. It would have to be taken apart piece by piece - very time consuming and expensive. I don’t know what you think you see, but Sky Trek has decent popularity despite limited operations and is an icon of the park.
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby cliffhanger on July 12th, 2019, 11:31 am
JaminOut wrote:Even if the park wanted to remove it, it would be a hassle. The ride is surrounded on all sides. It would have to be taken apart piece by piece - very time consuming and expensive.

I think this is the main deciding factor here. Im pretty sure they have to use explosives to take it down, like they did with Space Spiral at Cedar Point. That involves a lot of space. If anything, they would have done it before constructing Maxx Force, while the area was clear. If they did it now, 100% they would have to use a crane, which is another space issue... Not to mention it's great advertising on the north side of the area with the giant Six Flags logo.
cliffhanger

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum