Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Maxx Force NEW FOR 2019

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 23rd, 2019, 10:00 am
SaveTheWAVE wrote:There is a piston that is attached to the launch dog. It is charged with compressed air when the train is in the ready position. When Maxx Force launches, the air ram makes its way down the track. The BOOM is caused by the difference in air pressure (approximately 1 Atmosphere) between the initial charging and release of air

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

So the "charged air" meeting "regular air" is what causes the boom ?? Any idea of the volume of air that's needed for Maxx to launch?
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby SiliconMessiah on August 31st, 2019, 4:54 pm
I know I’m late to the party but my son and I rode Maxx today and boy was it a blast! I wasn’t expecting to love it so much. The launch itself was incredible and the speed of the inversions were more than I thought they’d be. I’ll have to give it more tries, obviously, but I’m so glad we got this coaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SiliconMessiah

Postby SaveTheWAVE on August 31st, 2019, 6:07 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
SaveTheWAVE wrote:There is a piston that is attached to the launch dog. It is charged with compressed air when the train is in the ready position. When Maxx Force launches, the air ram makes its way down the track. The BOOM is caused by the difference in air pressure (approximately 1 Atmosphere) between the initial charging and release of air

So the "charged air" meeting "regular air" is what causes the boom ?? Any idea of the volume of air that's needed for Maxx to launch?
Maxx Force uses 56,000 lbs of thrust!
As far as 'charging' goes, think of MF as a 60' Nerf gun. The air is compressed 'charged' at the ready position, then released.

SaveTheWAVE

Postby Tardis1972 on September 2nd, 2019, 11:32 am
So I have a couple questions to ask. Before a train launches a gearing like sound can be heard. My question is what is that sound and where s it coming from?
As for the second question what are the odds Maxx Force is going to be open for HITP?
Tardis1972

Postby SaveTheWAVE on September 2nd, 2019, 11:44 am
How soon before the train launches do you hear that gearing sound? if it's directly before the train launches, it's the brakes falling to allow the train to launch.
As far as holiday in the park goes, I'm not sure. I do know that Maxx Force is scheduled to operate through November 10th, according to the six flags Great America website.

SaveTheWAVE

Postby Tardis1972 on September 2nd, 2019, 12:58 pm
It’s literally right before the launch. I actually use this sound as a sign the launch is about to happen.
I guess we’re find out once the ride lineup is announced.
Tardis1972

Postby SaveTheWAVE on September 2nd, 2019, 1:08 pm
Yeah, that sound is the magnetic brake fins dropping.

SaveTheWAVE

Postby anewman35 on September 2nd, 2019, 6:58 pm
SaveTheWAVE wrote:How soon before the train launches do you hear that gearing sound? if it's directly before the train launches, it's the brakes falling to allow the train to launch.
As far as holiday in the park goes, I'm not sure. I do know that Maxx Force is scheduled to operate through November 10th, according to the six flags Great America website.

Out of curiosity, where on the website do you see this info?
anewman35

Postby SaveTheWAVE on September 2nd, 2019, 7:13 pm
Let me see if I can get a pic of the page I saw it on...

SaveTheWAVE

Postby CoasterRiderSC on September 3rd, 2019, 12:08 pm
SaveTheWAVE wrote:Yeah, that sound is the magnetic brake fins dropping.

If you sit in the front row you can actually see the fins dropping like dominoes! Or, sit on the left and very quickly (and I mean QUICKLY) bob your head to the left to see the fins dropping and then get it back before last fin drops!
Last edited by CoasterRiderSC on September 3rd, 2019, 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby MrsTaxi on September 3rd, 2019, 12:43 pm
I have a real strange question. Why does it smell like manure up by the station? :?
MrsTaxi

Postby IssaCoaster on September 3rd, 2019, 1:04 pm
MrsTaxi wrote:I have a real strange question. Why does it smell like manure up by the station? :?
Gonna take a quick guess and say it's the stagnant water by Whizzer causing that smell.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
IssaCoaster

Postby CoasterRiderSC on September 3rd, 2019, 2:04 pm
MrsTaxi wrote:I have a real strange question. Why does it smell like manure up by the station? :?

Could it be mulch and/or peat moss for the foliage??

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Lizardgi on September 6th, 2019, 2:51 pm

I think it's the wood mulch they put down. Fresh mulch depending on where it was sitting beforehand can start to decompose and give off this smell. Not super unusual but if you got to a landscape yard to the bulk mulch area it'll usually smell like this. Should go away soon.
Lizardgi

Postby MrsTaxi on September 6th, 2019, 11:38 pm
Lizardgi wrote:

I think it's the wood mulch they put down. Fresh mulch depending on where it was sitting beforehand can start to decompose and give off this smell. Not super unusual but if you got to a landscape yard to the bulk mulch area it'll usually smell like this. Should go away soon.

This makes the most sense. There was mulch all around the area. The stagnant water by Whizzer is another odd smell. :lol:
MrsTaxi

Postby staticshadows on November 8th, 2019, 2:23 pm
The park is working with a sound engineer and contractor to dampen the launch noise from Maxx Force.
https://youtu.be/4809aTvfsCg?t=3117
staticshadows

Postby gottastrata33 on November 9th, 2019, 2:27 am
So after this weekend, that's it for 2019.

It wasn't open today so it's def done for the season. There was no one at the park today it was pretty nice despite the weather.
gottastrata33

Postby CoasterRiderSC on November 11th, 2019, 12:02 pm
staticshadows wrote:The park is working with a sound engineer and contractor to dampen the launch noise from Maxx Force.
https://youtu.be/4809aTvfsCg?t=3117

Nice work posting this! How did you find this??

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Chirojon on December 16th, 2019, 12:07 pm
So I love Maxx and think it's a great addition to the park...

As I was walking last night past the cue near the entrance for HITP, I was wondering about cue planning. I don't know if this has been brought up before but it's very curious to me.

I think it's safe to say that the switch backs will not even come close to being used past the shelter - ya know, the ones that they took forever to complete. Is this just poor planning? Can't they calculate these things beforehand? I am not talking about popularity - I mean it's just a gross over-calculation of design for the cue and is subsequently a waste of space.

And even if they anticipated that to be 'full', it would mean the wait would be over 2 hours easy consistently. Given the average/rough estimate of riders per hour, couldn't they reasonably even have cut that switchback portion that will not be unused, in half? At the very least?

I'm fascinated by this stuff, truly (I'm a nerd I suppose). I'm not sure if this is on the manufacturer's end or a Park's end as to how much space is estimated necessary for the cue.

You have lines like Goliath that works out perfectly. These days, during the busiest times, it fills the tent/switchback nicely and you don't have to walk that far. Same for Raging Bull. At their busiest, there isn't alot of "wasted" switchback cue space (Raging Bull has some under that initial 'tent' compared to when it first came out but it really isn't that large of an area)

Has this been discussed? Can SF get rid of that empty cue space and put something there? I doubt it, but it just looks goofy now (in my opinion).

Thanks for reading my (babbling) thoughts this Monday morning :)
Chirojon

Postby CoasterRiderSC on December 16th, 2019, 3:31 pm
Perhaps building the queue too large will make people "think" the line isn't that long ? :o

CoasterRiderSC

Postby IssaCoaster on December 16th, 2019, 5:19 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:Perhaps building the queue too large will make people "think" the line isn't that long ? :o
Would have much rather them cut that queue size down and use that money to cover the rest of the queue. But that doesn't make a lot of sense does it?

IssaCoaster

Postby CoasterRiderSC on December 17th, 2019, 11:46 am
IssaCoaster wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:Perhaps building the queue too large will make people "think" the line isn't that long ? :o
Would have much rather them cut that queue size down and use that money to cover the rest of the queue. But that doesn't make a lot of sense does it?

A covered queue (for entire queue) would have been nice.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby ChicagoCoasters on December 18th, 2019, 2:40 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
IssaCoaster wrote:

A covered queue (for entire queue) would have been nice.

And an on-ride photo that works lol

1.) Steel Vengeance 2.) Maverick 3.) Goliath (SFGAM) 4.) Top Thrill Dragster 5.) Mystic Timbers
Ragin Cajun and Iron Wolf went from Six Flags Great America to Six Flags America. I guess they weren't GREAT anymore.
ChicagoCoasters

Postby CoasterRiderSC on March 8th, 2021, 4:05 pm
Just saw this updated entry for Maxx Force on RCDB. It lists Maxx having 4 (and not 5) inversions. I had asked owner of RCDB a while back when Maxx first opened and he said he was still considering how many inversions Maxx really has. I agree with his final assessment of 4. I also noticed that he called the barrel roll a Heartline roll which is probably more accurate. Also Maxx has 2 new inversion elements: Dog Tongue (2 total inversions) and Maxx Dive Loop
Attachments
Maxx Force - image.png
From RCDB https://rcdb.com/16586.htm

CoasterRiderSC

Postby coasterfanatic on March 8th, 2021, 4:23 pm
Well, I’m sire what the park and manufacture say is the official number is what should matter. When watching the POV video again, I count 5 inversions! You’re still inverted on that final flip before the dive back into the station.

You invert on the flip, then it turns into the dive loop which is the five and final inversion.

coasterfanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum