Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Fright Fest 2018

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby anewman35 on October 4th, 2018, 5:49 pm
I was there last Sunday. It was pretty rainy, so pretty dead.

I get the idea of wanting a non-Fright Fest pass. The thing is that passes are so cheap already that it's kind of a silly idea. Any cheaper and they might as well not even sell single day tickets anymore...
anewman35

Postby Bobthebuilder645 on October 4th, 2018, 6:03 pm
anewman35 wrote:I was there last Sunday. It was pretty rainy, so pretty dead.

I get the idea of wanting a non-Fright Fest pass. The thing is that passes are so cheap already that it's kind of a silly idea. Any cheaper and they might as well not even sell single day tickets anymore...

Cough cough the thrill pass already exists and it doesn't include fright fest.
Bobthebuilder645

Postby MrsTaxi on October 4th, 2018, 7:25 pm
I was there Friday night. Pretty good crowd despite the cold.
MrsTaxi

Postby ChicagoCoasters on October 4th, 2018, 11:53 pm
I was there on Sunday too. It was not too crowded. Almost everything was a walk on. Although it did seem like there was a lack of scare actors throughout the park. They are serving a pumpkin spice funnel cake at the Demon funnel cake. Have they done that before?
1.) Steel Vengeance 2.) Maverick 3.) Goliath (SFGAM) 4.) Top Thrill Dragster 5.) Mystic Timbers
Ragin Cajun and Iron Wolf went from Six Flags Great America to Six Flags America. I guess they weren't GREAT anymore.
ChicagoCoasters

Postby anewman35 on October 5th, 2018, 4:11 pm
Bobthebuilder645 wrote:
anewman35 wrote:I was there last Sunday. It was pretty rainy, so pretty dead.

Cough cough the thrill pass already exists and it doesn't include fright fest.

As of April, according to Visitlakecounty, a Thrill Pass cost $74.99. Which is more than I paid for my actual Gold Season Pass in the Flash Sale...
anewman35

Postby CoasterRiderSC on October 5th, 2018, 4:42 pm
I haven't been there yet this year during Fright Fest, but in past years, the daytime was always much less crowded than night time. I was able to do 30 rides in 2016 but that was largely due to it being rainy much of daytime.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby coasterkidd100 on October 8th, 2018, 9:18 pm
Does anyone know why Massacre Medical Center was closed on Saturday? I went to get in line around 9 PM on Saturday night and it wasn't open. There was no activity around the attraction at all at that time.
coasterkidd100

Postby JaminOut on October 9th, 2018, 2:58 pm
coasterkidd100 wrote:Does anyone know why Massacre Medical Center was closed on Saturday? I went to get in line around 9 PM on Saturday night and it wasn't open. There was no activity around the attraction at all at that time.

I was there on Saturday and did it around 8:30pm. When we were in the last scene with the truck, the computer system reset. I guess they ran into a problem and had to close it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on October 9th, 2018, 3:44 pm
Columbus Day was a disaster. I mean at park opening it was actually pretty empty I got a few rounds on Goliath, Raging Bull, X Flight, Justice League. I noticed that AE went down and then opened back up in 30 min. But after 12:30 things started to get out of hand. People everywhere and operations were so slow... at that point me and my family left at 2:30 and people just kept coming. So yeah...
How come Lightning Rod is never open when I go.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby Sven18 on October 9th, 2018, 5:51 pm
_FuryBull_330_ wrote:Columbus Day was a disaster. I mean at park opening it was actually pretty empty I got a few rounds on Goliath, Raging Bull, X Flight, Justice League. I noticed that AE went down and then opened back up in 30 min. But after 12:30 things started to get out of hand. People everywhere and operations were so slow... at that point me and my family left at 2:30 and people just kept coming. So yeah...

Absolute cluster f...after 1230 sums it up! Had mid summer crowds with 1/2 staff or less. Food waits were an hour all day, so only used 1 meal and no snack, bailed early. This was first visit of the year at GAm(visited OT, FT, DK, OG) and only went to GAm b/c you have to go once before Nov to process next years pass. Btw, that's unnecessary nonsense having to process a renewed pass at member services, other chains don't do that. Usually Columbus day is okay with 1/2 staff, not great but bearable. Abnormally warm weather made it a disaster.
Sven18

Postby anewman35 on October 9th, 2018, 6:12 pm
Sven18 wrote:
_FuryBull_330_ wrote:Columbus Day was a disaster. I mean at park opening it was actually pretty empty I got a few rounds on Goliath, Raging Bull, X Flight, Justice League. I noticed that AE went down and then opened back up in 30 min. But after 12:30 things started to get out of hand. People everywhere and operations were so slow... at that point me and my family left at 2:30 and people just kept coming. So yeah...

Absolute cluster f...after 1230 sums it up! Had mid summer crowds with 1/2 staff or less. Food waits were an hour all day, so only used 1 meal and no snack, bailed early. This was first visit of the year at GAm(visited OT, FT, DK, OG) and only went to GAm b/c you have to go once before Nov to process next years pass. Btw, that's unnecessary nonsense having to process a renewed pass at member services, other chains don't do that. Usually Columbus day is okay with 1/2 staff, not great but bearable. Abnormally warm weather made it a disaster.

What pass add-ons did you get? Because I haven't had to process my pass or dining pass at member services for years...
anewman35

Postby UnclePennybags on October 9th, 2018, 8:59 pm
anewman35 wrote:
Sven18 wrote:Btw, that's unnecessary nonsense having to process a renewed pass at member services, other chains don't do that. Usually Columbus day is okay with 1/2 staff, not great but bearable. Abnormally warm weather made it a disaster.

What pass add-ons did you get? Because I haven't had to process my pass or dining pass at member services for years...

Same here. My season and dining pass renewals were handled at the gate, but my photo pass needed to be activated at the Pass Services Center, which I won't do until next year because the line was too long on September 15.
UnclePennybags

Postby CoasterCale on October 10th, 2018, 8:47 pm
Fright Fest is great this year. HellFest was easily my favorite house. But TT2 has returned and is my favorite ride with the overlay. The only thing I'm a little disappointed in is that the sliders are together as one group and wander the park as opposed to having one or two per scare zone like in the past. Also (insert the usual complaint about food lines being long here)
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Postby got2havefun on October 10th, 2018, 9:02 pm
I have had bad luck on Columbus Day too often with their skeleton crew on that I avoid it unless it is extremely crappy weather.
got2havefun

Postby hook13 on October 10th, 2018, 11:56 pm
I activated my photo pass at the photo kiosk, member service line was crazy! only took a minute there......

went to 6f STL this weekkend for fright fest, what a difference in lines...I know they don't have the crowds but service was so much faster across the board. LAFF was very different in STL, kudos to the cast at 6fGA....they really make the show awesome-
hook13

Postby batmanfan80 on October 13th, 2018, 5:45 pm
We got there at 1:30 on Columbus day and first waited about 10 min for Italian Beef. Then we went to Batman and the whole covered part of the queue was full but somehow they made the line move at light speed. Fastest ever. I swear we were on the ride in about 10 minutes. Usually that's a 40 min wait and in 2012 it woulda been a 60 min line. After that we went to Goliath and the line was back a little bit from the covered spot. Took maybe 25 min. The line for the drinks in front of it seemed worse. What's with half the snack and drink places being closed when it's their busiest time of the season? The lift hill on Goliath still freaks me out a bit but the ride quality on that thing is awesome. Some of the best controlled chaos there is. Not sure why I wasn't into this one and Kumba much 4 years ago. It was only the 2nd time I've ridden it and it does so much within the time allotted. Any longer and I might've thrown up all the calories I had just consumed.

After that we skipped Eagle since only Blue was running. Demon's line was almost half full and moving really slow, so we left it. Raging was completely full and was showing up as a 25 or 35 min line on the queue sites. I guess it coulda been that long if they were moving it efficiently. I'm not sure how we ended up seeing Batman's line again, but it kept getting shorter. Whizzer's line was pretty long and then we did something else and then it shortened. Moved pretty fast up until we got to the platform. The line for some ice cream at that thing in front of Demon was a walk up. Took a bit longer to get the pretzel at the turkey leg place I think it was.

The JB's line was horrendous. Trudy's was the only short drink line and that's because they ran out of everything along with the ice. We didn't even attempt to use our dining pass because so many hordes had piled in. Some teens told us their whole school was there and they thought Goliath was supposed to be the tallest and fastest coaster ever. That's what I've been saying lured the hordes there 4 years ago. The idea that they bought into the idea that Goliath was the all-time record setter. Must be bad comprehension skills because the ads only said the record applied to wooden coasters. But it's not really a wooden coaster, it feels like a steel coaster with wood as a decoration.

X-Flight's line was to the keyhole but stagnant. That can be really long with how many flash-passers it lures. There's a lot of newbies that don't know how to order and take forever. Apparently thousands of people show up when the park is closed too, if what I read on Yelp is true. It seems unbelievable that people would drive from several hours away and not even check if the park was open, but it doesn't surprise me. It also doesn't surprise me that Six Flags would not let them in if they rented the park out for a private event too. People really have no idea how this place works. Maybe it ran a lot smoother during the Marriott era or something.

I tried going to the bar at the whatever they call Aunt Martha's now, and this line with 5 people in it barely moved at 4 something. The lines can be horrible and then great within a small time period it seems. I think we left around 5 or 6. Closer to 5. They really need to stop cheaping out on labor and make sure they have enough facilities to handle the hordes they insist on luring in. Looks like you can have an okay time if you go early and leave after 3 or 4 hours.
batmanfan80

Postby Nystagmus on October 14th, 2018, 8:45 am
Yesterday was my first visit to the park this year with my pass. I went to enjoy the sights and sounds of Fright Fest. I got there after 5. The lines to get in were long but they moved quickly. I saw LAFF and Ringmasters, walked around the park a few times, but didn't hit any rides. Half the fun for me at Fright Fest is watching the scare actors do their jobs.

The theme of the night was lines and it was totally expected. Lines for the rides, haunted houses, stores, food, and even the bathrooms (sorry ladies!). I thought many users on here were exaggerating when they said it took 30+ min for the food lines. But I stand corrected! I finally found a line short enough so I could claim my snack credit. After a few minutes in line a supervisor came by and told us "We're not accepting the dining passes for the rest of the night!" She was right, it was after 8:30. But what a hard reality; if the park can't handle the demand from being understaffed and high guest demand, they should extend the window.
Nystagmus

Postby cliffhanger on October 14th, 2018, 8:52 am
I went Friday and it was empty. Though i only went on 3 rides, everything was basically a walk on.
I also noticed all the sound effects were back on Giant Drop. Was it like this in the summer as well? There are also sound effects at the top of the tower. This is where the eagle cry comes from, along with howling wind. It really added to the suspense. I really hope they bring back themed music and effects next summer. Those little things make a huge difference!
cliffhanger

Postby CoasterRiderSC on October 19th, 2018, 11:40 am
^ Yes, those sound effects for Giant Drop (eagle and rushing wind) were there in the summer. I agree they definitely add to the excitement of the ride!
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Jackluver18 on October 24th, 2018, 8:32 pm
Sounds like they're cleaning up from FF a little early. Two people told me the pond has now been drained for HITP and I have this feeling that they are beginning to slowly take down some of the FF decor to finish putting up Christmas decor. I was looking to getting more pics of the pond (not like I have enough) but still love seeing the pond dyed red for FF and now it isn't for the final weekend. I also heard Whizzer is done for the season due to Maxx Force construction by it.
SF trips 09 = 15
SF trips 10= 11
SF trips 11 =7
Jackluver18

Postby Ilovthevu' on October 24th, 2018, 11:30 pm
I can't believe this company. The Whizzer wasn't open during the early part of the season (due to painting LOL / due to saving money on operations), and than they aren't even keeping it open till November 11th. That's the last day they should shut it down. What a ridiculous company.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby coasterkidd100 on October 25th, 2018, 2:25 pm
I bet Whizzer will stay closed at the beginning of next season too while they finish up construction of Maxx Force.
coasterkidd100

Postby ChicagoCoasters on October 25th, 2018, 3:26 pm
That is if it opens after Opening Weekend but most likely not because all they will have to do is mostly testing. But hey, at least we have a ride that doesn't start construction in January-March.
1.) Steel Vengeance 2.) Maverick 3.) Goliath (SFGAM) 4.) Top Thrill Dragster 5.) Mystic Timbers
Ragin Cajun and Iron Wolf went from Six Flags Great America to Six Flags America. I guess they weren't GREAT anymore.
ChicagoCoasters

Postby MrsTaxi on October 26th, 2018, 6:27 am
I'm not happy about it either, but to be fair, Whizzer doesn't handle the cooler temps very well.
MrsTaxi

Postby Tardis1972 on October 26th, 2018, 6:40 pm
As long as they don’t mess with TT2 I don’t really care if they’re preparing for HITP already.
Tardis1972

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum