Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

2019 rumors, thoughts, speculation

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 24th, 2018, 12:11 pm
Now that the Pictorium is being removed and means a ton of land is open, it's time to speculate what new attraction can come to Six Flags Great America. As you know Mardi Gras Hangover is coming in 2018 and we are already seeing speculation around Pictorium. So what are your thoughts, Is it a gigantic roller coaster like a giga or dive, or is it a water park expansion or kids expansion.
How come Lightning Rod is never open when I go.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby staticshadows on April 24th, 2018, 12:24 pm
_FuryBull_330_ wrote:Now that the Pictorium is being removed

I will believe it when I see pictures of it. Water park expansion seems most likely if true. Remember last years screamscape rumor. Based on how current Six Flags management operates, we won’t get a large unique coaster unless we relocate or sell a large coaster to another park.

Deja Vu replaced by X-Flight
SFOG Deja Vu replaced by Dare Devil Dive
SFMM Deja Vu replaced by Full Throttle
Iron Wolf replaced by Goliath
staticshadows

Postby coasterfanatic on April 24th, 2018, 12:44 pm
Do we have any proof or information from a credible source about the removal of the Pictorium??

To me, it just seems like pure speculation on this site.

Plus, I feel that if it did come down, they may make mention of it on Twitter or Snapchat?

Only time will tell.
coasterfanatic

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 24th, 2018, 1:35 pm
coasterfanatic wrote:Do we have any proof or information from a credible source about the removal of the Pictorium??

Plus, I feel that if it did come down, they may make mention of it on Twitter or Snapchat?

Only time will tell.

Okay, if you go to the back of the pathway where Sky Trek Tower exits from you'll see demolition going on there. I saw it on Sunday and I know what I'm talking about.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby DejaVu2001 on April 24th, 2018, 1:38 pm
^ A pile of dirt/gravel is not proof of demolition.
DejaVu2001

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 24th, 2018, 1:54 pm
DejaVu2001 wrote:^ A pile of dirt/gravel is not proof of demolition.

But it is proof of land clearing :lol: .

_FuryBull_330_

Postby MrsTaxi on April 24th, 2018, 2:27 pm
coasterfanatic wrote:Do we have any proof or information from a credible source about the removal of the Pictorium??

Only time will tell.

Currently in the grey area between speculation and credible source. Moving more toward credible.
MrsTaxi

Postby RollingCoasting on April 24th, 2018, 3:48 pm
My prediction: Hurricane Harbor addition in Pictorium's spot which may or may not be vacant when the park opens on Saturday
RollingCoasting

Postby MrsTaxi on April 24th, 2018, 3:53 pm
RollingCoasting wrote:My prediction: Hurricane Harbor addition in Pictorium's spot which may or may not be vacant when the park opens on Saturday

:D
MrsTaxi

Postby coasterfanatic on April 24th, 2018, 4:11 pm
Unless the park makes an announcement, we see a bulldozer to it, or you spoke with someone who has direct knowledge of the Pictoriums future, it's pure speculation at this point.

There could be piles of dirt for a number of reasons. Apparently, they have been removing trees and stuff in certain areas.

Just like when someone things that there's a massive new ride coming because they saw some marking on a tree....it's all speculation.

Maybe they could be making the Pictorium smaller? Maybe it will be renovated?

It seems like a big task to take on while the park is open for the season. After this weekend, they start adding weekdays (one by one) to the operating schedule.

But again, only time will tell.
coasterfanatic

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on April 24th, 2018, 4:29 pm
Yeah, I'd wait until there's definite proof before saying it's happening.

On the off chance that it is happening, I'm gonna guess that it's for a waterpark expansion.

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby MrsTaxi on April 24th, 2018, 4:33 pm
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:Yeah, I'd wait until there's definite proof before saying it's happening.

On the off chance that it is happening, I'm gonna guess that it's for a waterpark expansion.

Definite proof would be when it's gone...lol. All kidding aside, Hopefully we'll know for sure soon.
MrsTaxi

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 24th, 2018, 6:47 pm
Well whether Pictorium is being removed, I think it's a good time to start speculating because we never know we might just be surprised :lol: . Now a water park additions seems likely since Great Wolf Lodge is now competition but I might be surprised if we get another flat ride or coaster. Maybe a Giant Discovery would be nice or a Skywarp since Six Flags looks like they will be adding more of those.

_FuryBull_330_

Postby anewman35 on April 24th, 2018, 8:01 pm
If the Pictorium is removed, I'd be pretty surprised if it wasn't for a Water Park addition. There's not a of other places they could go if they ever wanted to expand the Water Park, so it would be kind of dumb to waste the opportunity.
anewman35

Postby astucks18 on April 24th, 2018, 8:19 pm
But you also have to realize how much land clearing would have to be done for a water park expansion. The pictorium isnt built up, its built down into the side of a hill, theyd have to destroy the whole hill to expand the water park there.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
astucks18

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 24th, 2018, 8:25 pm
astucks18 wrote:But you also have to realize how much land clearing would have to be done for a water park expansion. The pictorium isnt built up, its built down into the side of a hill, theyd have to destroy the whole hill to expand the water park there.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Sounds like a job for.... a water coaster :D .

_FuryBull_330_

Postby coasterfanatic on April 24th, 2018, 8:27 pm
_FuryBull_330_ wrote:Well whether Pictorium is being removed, I think it's a good time to start speculating because we never know we might just be surprised :lol: . Now a water park additions seems likely since Great Wolf Lodge is now competition but I might be surprised if we get another flat ride or coaster. Maybe a Giant Discovery would be nice or a Skywarp since Six Flags looks like they will be adding more of those.

So first you say "I know what I am talking about" in regards to the Pictorium being removed, now that you've been called out for having zero source besides a pile of dirt, you back away.

Nothing wrong with speculation, but don't start saying that things are being removed, when there's no evidence of that. I am pretty sure that IF it was going to be removed, the park would mention something about it and I don't think it will be done in-season, either.

When Great Wolf was Key Lime Cove, Six Flags and Great Wolf had a partnership. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't do the same. I don't think Six Flags sees them as competitor. The water park is big enough. I don't think Great America will invest that heavily into it to expand it. It almost never reaches capacity anymore since the expansion. I rather them spend the money on a coaster, which we know is unlikely since they don't spend big money on coasters anymore.

My guess for 2019 is that once again, something will close and another more affordable ride will be put it in its place.
coasterfanatic

Postby Jodon on April 25th, 2018, 10:13 am
If the Pictorium is being removed, I would think that there would be two likely options for that space.

1. A Hurricane Harbor addition and revamped entrance. Getting into the water park is such a nuisance the way it is designed now. I like water parks, but I almost never go into HH because of the time it takes to get to the park, change, enjoy the park, change again, go back to the car to drop off clothes, then go back into the dry park. It's just too much of a time commitment and annoyance for me to do it. Moving the HH entrance closer to the front of the park makes a lot of my complaints much easier to deal with. Ideally, there would be a perminant HH entrance direct from the parking lot, but I'm not sure that will happen. Worst case, I'd love to see the HH entrance moved to the path behind STT which I think would be likely if the Pictorium were to be removed for a HH expansion.

If it is a water park addition, a water coaster makes the most sense to me. It will be unique to the park be a bit of a differentiator between HH and GWL. HH already has a good amount of variation. There isn't a ton that the park doesn't offer right now and the most glaring hole is a water coaster and a water coaster would be highly marketable.

2. The other conceivable option for that space is an RMC Raptor Wonder Woman clone. I think it would fit that spot well and bring some life to that part of the park. Like many of you, I'd rather see a RMC T-Rex, but Six Flags likely won't spend the money on one and they do not really care about adding a ride with good throughput. This option also falls in line with SF corporate's current strategy of adding similar-low-cost attractions many of their parks.

I don't really see SF corprorate removing the Pictorium for a flat ride, but who knows...
Jodon

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 25th, 2018, 12:22 pm
A water park addition seems more likely, but I want to give myself a little wiggle room. Okay let's say it's not a water park expansion like a water coaster, what can we see in the indicated spot of clearing(Pictorium). Coasters that can fit it's spot is 1. An RMC raptor, 2. Sky Rocket III, 3. Sky Rocket II. I've also figured out the cost for each ride(except RMC raptor). Sky Rocket III (a.k.a Full Throttle) costs 6 mil USD which means it costs less than The Joker. It's also the same cost as the Sky Rocket II (a.k.a Superman Ultimate Flight[Discovery Kingdom]). If they can get clones that cost much more than these good rides I see them getting this as well. If it's not a coaster than family ride expansion seems likely. But here's my logic. Every coaster we get in the next couple of years will be small until Six Flags can get us something big maybe Iron Horse American Eagle. But hey you never know with Six Flags.

_FuryBull_330_

Postby WolfRaging95 on April 25th, 2018, 6:26 pm
According to JiggidyNDG's Facebook page, today Pictorium is reportedly coming down. I know JiggidyNDG has been pretty reliable when it comes to park news/rumors in the past.
WolfRaging95

Postby WolfRaging95 on April 25th, 2018, 8:09 pm
Marcus Leshock confirmed Pictorium's removal on his Instagram.
WolfRaging95

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 25th, 2018, 8:24 pm
WolfRaging95 wrote:Marcus Leshock confirmed Pictorium's removal on his Instagram.

I'm going to miss Pictorium, so many childhood memories :( . As of what is going there I feel like a water coaster, expansion of some sort or anything I said above sounds right. I can't think straight because I'm to busy crying.

_FuryBull_330_

Postby staticshadows on April 25th, 2018, 9:00 pm
This is what was on Screamscape last August:
2018 - New Attractions / Waterpark Expansion - Rumor - (8/8/17) According to the latest rumor, Six Flags Great America could be adding a Larson Loop for the 2018 season. If some rumors are to be believed, this could even end up being a bigger than normal, custom sized version. Where would it go? So far I'm hearing it will end up somewhere in the Southwest Territory, in or near the site of the old Trailblazer ride location.
What else is new for 2018? I'm hearing an expansion to Hurricane Harbor may also be in the works, adding a large water coaster style slide similar to the Thunder Rapids one added to Six Flags Fiesta Texas this year, but with a custom layout. But wait... there is more... a new play area for little kids, a new restaurant and a new gift shop are also said to be in the works for Hurricane Harbor for a very important reason... the waterpark may officially separate from the main park and become a separate gate attraction, much like the Hurricane Harbor waterparks in Southern California and New Jersey. If true, the signs of construction preparation will likely be visible soon as they will have to build a dedicated entrance into Hurricane Harbor somewhere out by the parking lot and main park entrance plaza.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170817061114/http://screamscape.com/html/six_flags_great_america.htm
staticshadows

Postby cliffhanger on April 25th, 2018, 9:12 pm
Unfortunately I think the HH expansion is the best guess. Expanding Carousel plaza is not really feasible with CP Giftshop right in front. The area would be hidden and only accessable from the old Pictorium entrance or behind STT. I see an expansion up to the back of CPGifts and rerouting the STT exit to the left of the Coke stand.
cliffhanger

Postby anewman35 on April 25th, 2018, 10:41 pm
If there is a HH expansion (which is what I would expect), I think that (going along with the Screamscape rumor) they'd use that opportunity to make it an entirely separate park (and probably expand what's currently the season pass entrance). And maybe if they did that, they would still do something like a kiddie area revamp for the main park...
anewman35

Next

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum