Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Fright Fest 2017

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Nystagmus on October 4th, 2017, 5:04 pm
Hugehungry wrote:Does anyone know if anything special is happening with the condor this year?

It's crow themed. The ride slows at the top. Last Friday night the operator was turning the ride lights on and off. Got a nice view at the top with all the lights off and the ride slowly spinning.
Nystagmus

Postby Hugehungry on October 4th, 2017, 8:11 pm
Thanks! hopefully i'll get to ride it next time I go! :)
Hugehungry

Postby coasterfanatic on October 7th, 2017, 1:53 pm
I been to Fright Fest twice this year. Last Sunday (the 1st) and yesterday (the 6th). I had to leave early on Sunday so didn't get to stay for the "Fright by Night" portion. Here are my thoughts though:

While I am disappointed that they don't change the name of the rides anymore, it's been several years since they have done that and likely won't ever do it again. It apparently created confusion amongst guests, but I am not sure if that is true.

The haunted walk through from X FLight to the Metropolis was very well done and easily one of the best themed areas. They had a good deal of foggers going to which was nice to see. Unfortunately, yesterday was incredibly slow so a lot of the scare actors got sent home early.

To the guest that commented about the train, they tried running the train one year, and made it into a scare zone. It didn't work. Much like using HH didn't work.

It's sad that Tiny is not on Eagle but she is by the first drop of X FLight. Hopefully that goes back up next year.

There was no fog coming from the bottom of the Sky Trek Tower either.

Overall, it was decent. I feel it was a bit better than years past but the lack of changing the names really diminishes everything too.

I am going to Magic Mountain in two weeks. Interested to see how their FF is. (They are open til 1am on Saturdays)
coasterfanatic

Postby stockboy300 on October 9th, 2017, 2:58 pm
I went Sunday October 8th. I pulled into the lot and left. I have never seen the parking lot that full! I heard over 40K people in attendance!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
stockboy300

Postby coasterfanatic on October 9th, 2017, 3:50 pm
Yes, seeing as yesterday was the first "October" day that had nice weather for them, no surprise it was busy especially with a lot of people off school Monday for Columbus Day. Usually FF gets the busiest during the middle weekends in October.
coasterfanatic

Postby Jackluver18 on October 10th, 2017, 9:35 am
I was there on Sunday and it was a madhouse. They made Underworld a one way road. If you wanted to go through it, you'd have to go around through Southwest. Didn't do the houses because it was so crazy. Food lines were ridiculous. Jb's was out of nacho's and it was just insane. The midways were crawling with people. Clowns were moved closer to Eagle due to Nightmare Mayhem playing. By 6, I was told it went down to 30,000 but still way too many people.
SF trips 09 = 15
SF trips 10= 11
SF trips 11 =7
Jackluver18

Postby CoasterCale on October 10th, 2017, 1:36 pm
I was told that at peak, the park pulled 44K is attendance, this past weekend.
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Postby anewman35 on October 10th, 2017, 7:56 pm
coasterfanatic wrote:To the guest that commented about the train, they tried running the train one year, and made it into a scare zone. It didn't work. Much like using HH didn't work.

Saying the train and HH "didn't work", and using that as an excuse to not use them anymore is such a cop out. If they what did in those particular seasons didn't work... do a better job the next year. With as crowded as Fright Fest gets, it's shameful that they don't use every area and attraction that's available to them.
anewman35

Postby hook13 on October 10th, 2017, 11:58 pm
Went to 6F over Georgia this weekend for a change. Really different that 6fgam...everything was themed, ride names, they had special food, themed electronic menu boards etc....very cool, very well done. limited scare actors that broke character regularly and posed for selfies with everyone, very different vibe, not as intense or scary at all, but very fun and well done, park was really decked out. Each scare actor had there own security personnel in a bright vest nearby watching them (gave them away to anyone paying attention)...had a good time until rain shut down park on Sunday- Didn't get time to do houses (their all season HH pass was $40, pretty steep), but did the ghosts of six flags train ride...which was a narrated version of the train with ghost stories.....great idea in my opinion-
hook13

Postby CoasterRiderSC on October 13th, 2017, 11:38 am
CoasterCale wrote:I was told that at peak, the park pulled 44K is attendance, this past weekend.

Whom do you know/ask to find out attendance? I'm just curious.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Tardis1972 on October 13th, 2017, 11:30 pm
Does anyone know why the park is closing at 10 tomorrow now instead of midnight? I know the weather isn't looking good so maybe that had something to do with it.
Tardis1972

Postby ribsinbacon on October 14th, 2017, 4:45 am
Tardis1972 wrote:Does anyone know why the park is closing at 10 tomorrow now instead of midnight? I know the weather isn't looking good so maybe that had something to do with it.

It's because of the weather, and again Apocalypse and Infestation will be closed tonight due to flooding in the houses.
I've lost my coaster count.
ribsinbacon

Postby LordMagnus101 on October 14th, 2017, 7:57 am
Park was dead yesterday evening. Got into all six haunted houses with no wait at all. Left the park around 8 PM.

Really disappointed they seemed to have very few scare actors out and about. Maybe its by design to have less on Friday, but some sections of the park were completely barren of any scare actors.

Most of the haunted houses are good, but I was very disappointed by the manor haunted house. There was like only one scare actor in the entire place. Really??? Usually I like that one.

Overall mediocre experience.
LordMagnus101

Postby Tardis1972 on October 14th, 2017, 8:35 am
ribsinbacon wrote:
Tardis1972 wrote:Does anyone know why the park is closing at 10 tomorrow now instead of midnight? I know the weather isn't looking good so maybe that had something to do with it.

It's because of the weather, and again Apocalypse and Infestation will be closed tonight due to flooding in the houses.

I figured it was because of the weather. I just the park opens at all because I'm going today with some friends one who visiting from Texas who used to live up here so we wanted to make sure we got to Fright Fest while he's in town.
Tardis1972

Postby Wisco Woody on October 14th, 2017, 5:39 pm
The Park is doing a surprisingly decent job today and putting forth effort to keep coasters and rides open, except X-Flight of course. Cedar Point or any other large park would have just closed everything down for the day.
Wisco Woody

Postby Jackluver18 on October 14th, 2017, 9:50 pm
I heard park closed at 8 tonight and that there was roughly 2k in the park tonight.
SF trips 09 = 15
SF trips 10= 11
SF trips 11 =7
Jackluver18

Postby Wisco Woody on October 14th, 2017, 11:48 pm
A Park manager told me at the start of the day that their expected attendance was 6,000. By 6, after most of the coasters had been running for 3 or 4 hours, it looked like it might have briefly hit 4,000 based on Uprising in Hometown but even that is probably overstating it. By 8, half hour before actual park close, There must have been only 200-500 guests left in the actual Park. I doubt all the midways will be clear of the flooding tomorrow at opening.
Wisco Woody

Postby CoasterCale on October 16th, 2017, 11:45 am
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
CoasterCale wrote:I was told that at peak, the park pulled 44K is attendance, this past weekend.

Whom do you know/ask to find out attendance? I'm just curious.

I know people. :P

Wisco Woody wrote:A Park manager told me at the start of the day that their expected attendance was 6,000. By 6, after most of the coasters had been running for 3 or 4 hours, it looked like it might have briefly hit 4,000 based on Uprising in Hometown but even that is probably overstating it. By 8, half hour before actual park close, There must have been only 200-500 guests left in the actual Park. I doubt all the midways will be clear of the flooding tomorrow at opening.

The expected attendance was 6K but the actual attendance ended up being less than 1500. Park closed at 8:30.
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Postby batmanfan80 on October 20th, 2017, 12:19 am
We went I think the 30th and the 7th. Left early both times. Too tired to stay long on the 30th. Moosejaw line was astronomically bad around 1. Got worse. We didn't see ride lines much that day. On the 7th lines were horrible once we got there around 2:30. Luckily barely anyone decided to go for the Eagle, waited maybe 5 min. We rode that a few rows up from where we usually ride, maybe the 5th row, and it was really tame in comparison to my usual rides this season. Still good, still plenty of air, just about 40% less forceful. Food lines were atrocious and most places had one worker there, maybe two if you were lucky. Same with drink and snack places. Seemed like half the food places were closed and one was turned into a season pass thing. Brilliant decision making there. All the other rides lines we saw were overflowing. Even Demon's line was back only a hundred or so feet from the entrance. The queue sites were late with their data. It wasn't until well after 3 that they were posting the correct wait times. At 2 everything was listed as being around 15-30 min. The parking lot both days was only about 60% full. More than half the back lot was empty.

We caught a lucky break on the way out as the snack place closest to guest services didn't have any line. They really need to do a better job with the free cycle drink machines at Trudy's. Seems one is always broken while the other doesn't have ice, people are spilling all over, and they run out of stuff all the time. This place does not have the facilities needed for the crowds they want. Even with all the tailgating they allow, they are still way short of what they need. Since the Goliath hordes, Fright Fest has been a big waste. For the last 3 years t's never been reasonable unless weather is bad. If weather is good then people will park at Gurnee Mills and walk over. I know the actual Halloween day is usually better in terms of crowds. Well, maybe these November dates will be ok if the warm weather doesn't hold.
batmanfan80

Postby jcrowwi on October 20th, 2017, 9:38 am
Anyone know how busy Sunday's have been? Only option we have to go is this Sunday the 22nd. Hoping the weather keeps some crowds down. We'll be there at opening and leaving before dark. Must get those season passes redeemed.
jcrowwi

Postby Whizzer Whiz Kid on October 20th, 2017, 12:12 pm
It really depends on the weather. Last weekend wasn't bad at all, but if I remember right, the week before was awful.
Whizzer Whiz Kid

Postby Jackluver18 on October 20th, 2017, 7:08 pm
Sunday's generally aren't bad except the Sunday before Columbus Day which was insanity. It's supposed to be 60% chance of rain Sunday so that'll keep the crowds away. As long as it doesn't rain at night, it should be okay. I'm going this Sunday, the 29th and Halloween. Halloween was dead last year..no pun intended. So you should be good on Sunday if you go.
SF trips 09 = 15
SF trips 10= 11
SF trips 11 =7
Jackluver18

Postby Fangirl on October 21st, 2017, 7:41 pm
Hi,

Can someone tell me what time the trick-or-treat trails are open ? I know it’s listed on the fright fest map but I cannot find it anywhere online and I don’t have the fright fest map at hand.

Thanks
Fangirl

Postby aaronmckie on October 21st, 2017, 9:00 pm
Fangirl wrote:Hi,

Can someone tell me what time the trick-or-treat trails are open ? I know it’s listed on the fright fest map but I cannot find it anywhere online and I don’t have the fright fest map at hand.

Thanks

1-3pm :)
aaronmckie

Postby Fangirl on October 22nd, 2017, 10:27 am
aaronmckie wrote:
Fangirl wrote:Hi,

Thanks

1-3pm :)

Thank you. Was hoping to go today but looks like it will be rain during that time. :(
Fangirl

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum