Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

2018 rumors, thoughts and speculation

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby chrisisdragon on August 31st, 2017, 12:13 am
the flash sale site is still not up kinda disappointing countdown
chrisisdragon

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on August 31st, 2017, 12:19 am
Checked out SFGAd's site. Looks like the universal sports bottle will be purple, which I predicted (but I did fail to say that, I'm an honest guy tho take my word :P ). Also, when you click where it says to go for returning season pass people, the place where you enter your card and whatnot is down. So no special deals at the moment.

EDIT: Was snooping around SFGAm site and while I don't think season passes are on sale yet, it appears the photo passes are. $25 for the rest of this year and all of 2018, along with a free print every month.

EDIT EDIT: SFGAm flash sale is live.
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby gottastrata33 on August 31st, 2017, 3:59 am
That double inversion almost cobra roll on Twisted Cyclone is incredible. Glad to see the blue rails over the orange/red too.

& you all called it. We got a record looping superloop. Lol
gottastrata33

Postby SFGAM_Hog on August 31st, 2017, 5:29 am
I'm glad that Six Flags Mexico's 4D Free Fly is called Wonder Woman instead of Joker. I'm kinda confused why Six Flags America had a big teaser thing going for just a lazy river...does anyone know how tall the loop is?
SFGAM_Hog

Postby Goku1910 on August 31st, 2017, 5:29 am
The world's tallest super loop. YAWN. I'd rather keep Chaos and deal with the pain for some entertainment rather than have that.

Definitely SFGAm's worst addition in recent years. IT'S NOT A COASTER. STOP ADVERTISING LIKE IT IS.
Goku1910

Postby SFGAM_Hog on August 31st, 2017, 5:41 am
Twisted Cyclone at Over Georgia looks as long as Goliath.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby anewman35 on August 31st, 2017, 7:13 am
Goku1910 wrote:The world's tallest super loop. YAWN. I'd rather keep Chaos and deal with the pain for some entertainment rather than have that.

Definitely SFGAm's worst addition in recent years. IT'S NOT A COASTER. STOP ADVERTISING LIKE IT IS.

I guess it depends what "recent" means? Because it's certainly better than a dumb show that was there for a year, and it's arguably better than installing three old kiddie rides they had laying around (and which they never should have removed).
anewman35

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 31st, 2017, 8:31 am
Goku1910 wrote:The world's tallest super loop. YAWN. I'd rather keep Chaos and deal with the pain for some entertainment rather than have that.

I agree with you 100%! If people thought Joker was a carnival ride, what about this yet-to-be-named Superloop?? King Chaos was fun.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 31st, 2017, 8:57 am
They seriously could have just reprogrammed King Chaos, and I probably would have ridden it more, and than bought a Chance Freestyle or a pendulum instead.

I didn't go on King Chaos because it was such a wimpy ride. If it did 3 upside downs in a row & than stopped, and than another 3 upside downs in a row & than stopped, and than the thing at the end, I probably would have went on it so much more than only 3 upside downs in a row. To me, it's gone because the programming was so bad / wimpy / boring.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on August 31st, 2017, 10:05 am
Why are you all so angry? Yes, it's a superloop, and yes it's being marketed as a coaster, but it's also a thrilling flat ride, which we haven't gotten since 2004. I know a lot of you were expecting something more, but who cares? We had 2 larger additions the past 2 years. A smaller addition is expected.

I'm personally very excited to see this. A 100 foot superloop is quite impressive!

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Whizzer Whiz Kid on August 31st, 2017, 10:29 am
It should look nice, but I really don't think it is going to revive Mardi Gras like they think it will. And for those of you who say this is a ride you can find at a fair, what about a top spin (King Chaos), enterprise (Orbit :( ), teacups (Chubasco), a frisbee (Revolution), rocking boat (River Rocker), bumper cars (Rue le Dodge). All normal flats at fairs that really complete our park. I know it isn't the greatest addition, but look at SFA. All that teasing and they get a new lazy river. I am quite happy with our new ride and can't wait to wait way too long for it next spring!
Favorite @ SFGAm - Eagle ~ Favorite Steel - Skyrush ~ Favorite Wood - El Toro
35 Rides on Eagle in 2015
68 Rides on Eagle in 2016
102 Rides on Eagle in 2017
9 Rides on Eagle in 2018
Whizzer Whiz Kid

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 31st, 2017, 11:50 am
^ I went on Brain Drain at Frontier City, OKC. It's only 70 feet tall but basically the same thing as our yet-to-be-named Superloop. It was OK. Point well taken about other rides that can be found at carnivals and fairs.

I'm hoping that Six Flags is investing wisely the $$ they save from no large expansions this year for some big stuff (at least for our park) in the next 2-3 years.

BTW, I'm not angry about this new ride coming. It was quite expected.
Last edited by CoasterRiderSC on August 31st, 2017, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Coaster Justin on August 31st, 2017, 11:08 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:I'm glad that Six Flags Mexico's 4D Free Fly is called Wonder Woman instead of Joker. I'm kinda confused why Six Flags America had a big teaser thing going for just a lazy river...does anyone know how tall the loop is?

Well they have a Joker Spinning Coaster (With an awesome queue line and the most I've laughed on a coaster)
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby Tardis1972 on August 31st, 2017, 11:43 pm
To everyone that's complaining about this coaster here's my advice for you. Simply don't ride it. Makes the line shorter for the rest of us.
When it's the proper time let's use this thread for the 2019 rumors instead of starting another one.
My very very very early 2019 prediction is a HH expansion.
Last edited by Tardis1972 on September 1st, 2017, 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tardis1972

Postby CoasterRiderSC on September 1st, 2017, 8:30 am
Tardis1972 wrote:To everyone that's complaining about this coaster here's my advice for you. Simply don't ride it. Makes the line shorter for the rest of us.
Let's keep this thread for the 2019 rumors instead of starting another one.

But that's part of the problem: it's NOT a coaster!

CoasterRiderSC

Postby SFGAM_Hog on September 1st, 2017, 4:06 pm
Coaster Justin wrote:
SFGAM_Hog wrote:I'm glad that Six Flags Mexico's 4D Free Fly is called Wonder Woman instead of Joker. I'm kinda confused why Six Flags America had a big teaser thing going for just a lazy river...does anyone know how tall the loop is?

Well they have a Joker Spinning Coaster (With an awesome queue line and the most I've laughed on a coaster)

Over Texas is adding a Tourbillon named Harley Quinn Spinsanity even though they already have a ride called Harley Quinn Spinsanity. Six Flags doesn't care at all.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby SFGAM_Hog on September 1st, 2017, 4:07 pm
Coaster Justin wrote:

Over Texas is adding a Tourbillon named Harley Quinn Spinsanity when they already have a ride called Harley Quinn Spinsanity.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby Goku1910 on September 1st, 2017, 4:52 pm
Tardis1972 wrote:To everyone that's complaining about this coaster here's my advice for you. Simply don't ride it. Makes the line shorter for the rest of us.
Let's keep this thread for the 2019 rumors instead of starting another one.

Wait, when did this become a 2019 topic? We'll start that topic in mid-2018 like we always do.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby Goku1910 on September 1st, 2017, 4:55 pm
anewman35 wrote:

I guess it depends what "recent" means? Because it's certainly better than a dumb show that was there for a year, and it's arguably better than installing three old kiddie rides they had laying around (and which they never should have removed).

the kiddie rides made sense as an addition because our kiddie areas are overcrowded at times. I don't really count Ignite since it wasn't a ride or attraction.

What makes this superloop worse is the marketing for it. It's a cookie-cutter addition and it's crap....Cedar Fair used to be a mockery and they're literally making a mockery of us now. How the tables have turned.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby anewman35 on September 1st, 2017, 5:13 pm
Goku1910 wrote:What makes this superloop worse is the marketing for it. It's a cookie-cutter addition and it's crap....Cedar Fair used to be a mockery and they're literally making a mockery of us now. How the tables have turned.

The marketing couldn't matter less to me. The ride is the ride. It doesn't matter if you call it a roller coaster or a flat ride or a flying unicorn. It doesn't matter if you call it Batman or Harley Quinn or Hurricane Force or whatever. It's the same ride. It's incredibly silly to judge the ride off of marketing (especially since after the first year it's just going to blend in with the rest of the mid-level rides in the park and won't be something anybody thinks much about at all).

Additionally, Six Flags mostly doesn't compete directly with Cedar Fair (and Great America certainly doesn't really complete directly with Cedar Fair). Cedar Fair has done better additions generally, I don't think that's in doubt. That doesn't mean our park is a mockery in any way.

Also, you complain it's "cookie-cutter". The thing is, most people who go to the park never go to another park. If a ride is fun, they don't care if it's at 0 other parks or 25 other parks.
anewman35

Postby Goku1910 on September 1st, 2017, 5:18 pm
The Marketing does matter and when you make a downright stupid mistake to name a ride related to a hurricane in a mardi gras area, that's just distasteful to those in the affected areas of New Orleans. It's not just about Harvey like most people assume. Even Marcus Leshock finds the superloop to be underwhelming. I checked his social media and he's got posts about SFGAdv with more enthusiasm.

Twisted Cyclone isn't much better since it literally has a hurricane symbol in it's logo.

Why Marketing matters: What happens when a big corporation does something really controversial and then has to backtrack by making apologies and statements? What's the aftermath?

Look at Best Buy, they sold a pack of water for over $40 in Texas after Harvey. It was a mistake and now the company has to apologize for this. Bad publicity leads to lost customers. This is why our ride is nameless - Six Flags can't risk that bad publicity.
Goku1910

Postby anewman35 on September 1st, 2017, 5:29 pm
You misunderstand me - I think Hurricane Force would be a horribly stupid name (even before Harvey). But my point was that it doesn't really matter for the in-park experience. It would be a dumb PR move for the park/chain, but it isn't going to change what it's like to be on the ride (or not be on the ride, as you see fit). Basically, when you're talking about the actual ride, marketing doesn't matter, names don't matter, etc, slogans don't matter. When you're on the ride it's the SAME RIDE no matter what marketing they choose, so it seems really weird to let that bother you so much.

(And this is all mostly about the IT'S NOT A COASTER thing. Who cares?)
anewman35

Postby Goku1910 on September 1st, 2017, 5:31 pm
Because it isn't. Advertising as a coaster and then have people flock to it like it's "the next big thing" only to be disappointed will result in some interesting social media posts I'm sure.

I know I felt this way with The Dark Knight Coaster, worst 3 hours of my life.

I've talked to some people who have been on the one at StL and based on their description it's not popular there so it'll die-off quickly like Joker so enjoy your short lines I guess?
Goku1910

Postby anewman35 on September 1st, 2017, 6:12 pm
Goku1910 wrote:Because it isn't. Advertising as a coaster and then have people flock to it like it's "the next big thing" only to be disappointed will result in some interesting social media posts I'm sure.

I know I felt this way with The Dark Knight Coaster, worst 3 hours of my life.

I've talked to some people who have been on the one at StL and based on their description it's not popular there so it'll die-off quickly like Joker so enjoy your short lines I guess?

Six Flags (and Amusement Parks in general) hype almost every new thing to the max, even if it don't really deserve it. But don't think that just because Six Flags says our Superloop is a "WORLD RECORD BREAKING ROLLER COASTER!!!!!" that they really expect it to be the next Goliath. (And, BTW, saying it's not like it's any less hype if they call it "WORLD RECORD BREAKING LOOPING THRILL RIDE" or whatever - the word "Coaster" doesn't matter at all). They'll hype it the first year, people may go, some may like it and some may not (and Six Flags will already have their money, so they don't really care). After that, the hype machine will move on to the next ride and Superloop will settle in as a mid-level flat ride (think Revolution or Condor), and it won't have a long line, but the park needs those. And it may just be somebody's favorite ride.

Not every ride has to be something amazing. Superloops aren't especially expensive - Six Flags will consider this ride a success if it's still there getting small but steady crowds in 15 years, and there's no reason to think it won't.
anewman35

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on September 1st, 2017, 6:27 pm
I'm just happy we didn't lose V2, lol
Nothing to see here....
SFGAMNUT9302

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum