Latest News
Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Rapids Accident in AU- Could RR be modified?

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on October 25th, 2016, 2:41 pm
According to the local AU news, the Rapids Ride at Dreamworld Australia was involved in an accident today, killing 4 people. The accident was due to a raft flipping over and falling on another raft at the bottom of the lift hill before the station with a rotating platform- a very similar system Roaring Rapids has.

This got me thinking- could this accident have an effect on RR? Could our lift system be redone? Discuss.

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby MrsTaxi on October 25th, 2016, 2:54 pm
The rapids ride at Dreamworld is NOT an Intamin. RR is...so, I'm not sure what one has to do with the other. Am I missing something?
MrsTaxi

Postby CoasterRiderSC on October 25th, 2016, 2:58 pm
I just heard about this. Very tragic. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families affected.
How old was that ride? Also, this got me thinking: are the rafts on RR somehow anchored down to bottom of the river to prevent this from happening?
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on October 25th, 2016, 3:01 pm
I am aware that it wasn't Intamin, but it doesn't mean that RR couldn't be modified. When the NTG accident happened, all RMCs closed, despite it being a Gerstlauer train.

I haven't been on RR in quite a while, but the rapids in Dreamworld didn't have an E-Stop button for the lift. Does RR have one? If not, they will most certainly add one for next year.

^Steve, the ride opened in 1986, making it 30 years old, 2 years younger than RR.

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby MrsTaxi on October 25th, 2016, 3:03 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:I just heard about this. Very tragic. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families affected.
How old was that ride? Also, this got me thinking: are the rafts on RR somehow anchored down to bottom of the river to prevent this from happening?

No, They aren't anchored down. They run freely powered by the water current.
MrsTaxi

Postby CoasterRiderSC on October 25th, 2016, 3:13 pm
MrsTaxi wrote:No, They aren't anchored down. They run freely powered by the water current.

I didn't think so. I know it sounded like a stupid question. I was thinking of a long enough tether to allow it to move laterally but short enough to prevent capsizing.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Foltzy on October 25th, 2016, 4:30 pm
If I recall what I read correctly,
Didn't something like this happen on RR at SFOT
Foltzy

Postby sfgam1976 on October 25th, 2016, 5:30 pm
Foltzy wrote:If I recall what I read correctly,
Didn't something like this happen on RR at SFOT

Multiple incidents in the 90's at other rapids rides and I believe at least one death at SFOT.

SFGAm has an entirely different type of rapids rides. Different rafts, manufacturer, lift, etc. Nothing will change.
sfgam1976

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum