Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Official 'The Joker' Topic

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby great america fan on September 5th, 2016, 10:47 pm
anewman35 wrote:It's annoying enough that they're not even going to try to get the ride open for opening day, and it'll be Memorial Day weekend if we're lucky, but that's really going to be stupid is if (who am I kidding, when) they don't have the new path done and the path just dead ends for a few weeks...

Free spins take no time to assemble "the compact layout means they don't have to move the crane as much". the reason they don't have rides open on opening day is because they can get two attendance bumps if they have two separate opening dates
great america fan

Postby RollingCoasting on September 5th, 2016, 10:59 pm
Hopefully they'll at least have the new path open in time for Opening Day. I doubt someone would come to the park again just to try that out. :roll:
RollingCoasting

Postby anewman35 on September 5th, 2016, 11:15 pm
Right, that's my point - they could have the ride done but they don't want to (and yet they still close rides early), but there's really no excuse for not having the path ready. They didn't have the one in front of Justice League open this year, but I'm hoping they will for The Joker because it's obviously a more important pathway.
anewman35

Postby bbd on September 6th, 2016, 8:21 am
anewman35 wrote:It's annoying enough that they're not even going to try to get the ride open for opening day, and it'll be Memorial Day weekend if we're lucky, but that's really going to be stupid is if (who am I kidding, when) they don't have the new path done and the path just dead ends for a few weeks...

How often are new rides actually open and ready for the opening day? This a normal practice to open things late.

Xflight was around Mid May
Justice League was last week of May
Goliath was Mid June
bbd

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on September 6th, 2016, 9:18 am
bbd wrote:

How often are new rides actually open and ready for the opening day? This a normal practice to open things late.

Xflight was around Mid May
Justice League was last week of May
Goliath was Mid June

They won't, and never will. Six Flags always opens new rides Memorial Day Weekend, so they can get two attendance spikes- one for the Season Opening Day, and another for the ride Opening Day. It's a pretty good business decision, albeit annoying for us enthusiasts.

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby anewman35 on September 6th, 2016, 10:06 am
It's not just annoying for enthusiasts, it should be even more annoying for members of the general public - imagine it's the one trip you're taking all year and it's the seek before the new ride is opening. Of course, Six Flags just hopes that means you'll pay to upgrade to a pass and come back later.
anewman35

Postby coasterfanatic on September 6th, 2016, 12:40 pm
The GP that only goes once is a year is likely not visiting in the opening weeks of May. So there's no reason to have the ride open by then.

Secondly, things are "slow to come down" because 1) The park was open this weekend, including yesterday and 2) They need to set up for Fright Fest. Maintenance has a lot of things to do to get rides ready for the fall, so taking down ERC or Orbit is not #1 on this list.

Third, Cajun's station won't come down before FF. 1) Because they use that area for a HH/Haunted walkthrough and 2) It would cause them to close off the bridge likely to get to YH, which would be unwise when you have 40,000+ people in the park.

While it's nice to see construction, not a lot can be done because the park is still open for another couple months and a good portion is Fright Fest set up or private events
coasterfanatic

Postby SFGAM_Hog on September 7th, 2016, 8:03 pm
I hope Six Flags posts construction updates like they did for Goliath.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on September 7th, 2016, 8:11 pm
I'd love to see them have a construction camera like they did with Goliath. Maybe they can put it atop Batman?

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby great america fan on September 7th, 2016, 10:11 pm
I want to see some kind of dueling interaction with batman I don't know how they could do it though
great america fan

Postby Mean Streaker on September 7th, 2016, 11:19 pm
great america fan wrote:I want to see some kind of dueling interaction with batman I don't know how they could do it though

I think it would've been great if the ride was pushed back to have the corkscrew go through the structure. It would've been even better if we got a bigger custom model that went over the covered bridge.
Mean Streaker

Postby Muck Finnesota on September 8th, 2016, 10:07 am
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:I'd love to see them have a construction camera like they did with Goliath. Maybe they can put it atop Batman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTymz6jx4ow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGA-GCq7JWM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJXj0cmPLi4
https://www.sixflags.com/greatadventure ... nstruction

:wink:
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

Postby stergmi on September 8th, 2016, 10:37 am
Mean Streaker wrote:
great america fan wrote:I want to see some kind of dueling interaction with batman I don't know how they could do it though

I think it would've been great if the ride was pushed back to have the corkscrew go through the structure. It would've been even better if we got a bigger custom model that went over the covered bridge.

Shit like this makes too much sense. I'm just glad that a joker ride is sitting next to BTR and not over in County Fair or some shit.
stergmi

Postby Muck Finnesota on September 8th, 2016, 11:01 am
stergmi wrote:I'm just glad that a joker ride is sitting next to BTR and not over in County Fair or some shit.

The sensible placement of Joker would be encouraging if it weren't for the comic book video game ride they shat out on the other side of the park just this year, far from where it makes any sense at all.
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

Postby Wisco Woody on September 8th, 2016, 11:48 am
^ Seriously, I had no idea that Metropolis was a cowboy city in the Southwest. And if they want to claim Metropolis Plaza is its own Park section, then that is really lame that it only has one attraction without room for expansion.
Wisco Woody

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on September 8th, 2016, 12:04 pm
Wisco Woody wrote:^ Seriously, I had no idea that Metropolis was a cowboy city in the Southwest. And if they want to claim Metropolis Plaza is its own Park section, then that is really lame that it only has one attraction without room for expansion.

I'm sorry, but it's this kind of stuff that makes me mad. We get one of the best dark rides in the world, and you are displeased with he placement. It was going to replace the Southwest Amphitheater, so everyone cried when it was going to 'Ruin the atmosphere'. I do agree slightly with this, but then again, this was a bit of an offshoot from the rest of the area. It really wouldn't affect the flow at all. But then to solve that 'problem', the park put it into it's own area. Problem solved, right? Apparently not. If you're not happy because the area can't house any more rides, then * off. Unless if it's another world-class coaster, which already is extremely unlikely to happen in the general area, not many rides can be better than JL. While I do think a bit of theming would help, the area is fine. It doesn't need expansion. It's already next to one of-if not the best area in the park. But IF it ever did expand, they could always remove Demon(god forbid) and put in a few flats in the helix/corkscrew area and claim it as part of Metropolis Plaza. The rest of the Demon space could house a smaller coaster of some sort if they wanted to. So stop complaining. It's not in a completely unrelated area, it is already next to some world-class rides, and has room for expansion if need be!

End rant.

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby stergmi on September 8th, 2016, 12:15 pm
Wisco Woody wrote:^ Seriously, I had no idea that Metropolis was a cowboy city in the Southwest. And if they want to claim Metropolis Plaza is its own Park section, then that is really lame that it only has one attraction without room for expansion.

Totally has room for a Coke Freestyle booth bro.
stergmi

Postby Wisco Woody on September 8th, 2016, 3:33 pm
Calm down. I thoroughly enjoy JLBFM, and I love that it has reduced some coaster lines all season. I was only tongue in cheek making fun of Six Flags' lack of options and space. If anything I'm glad that JL shows how outdated and overrated Raging Bull and the surrounding theming is.
Wisco Woody

Postby CoasterCale on September 21st, 2016, 8:19 am
I am excited to ride, but am not so excited to wait in the lines, or see how crappy the capacity is. Hopefully I don't get sick. :oops:
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Postby ConorTully on September 21st, 2016, 10:18 am
CoasterCale wrote:I am excited to ride, but am not so excited to wait in the lines, or see how crappy the capacity is. Hopefully I don't get sick. :oops:

Where there is crappy capacity over here, there is improved capacity elsewhere. Hopefully. lol
@silkymitts_ on Instagram

"Sir, please put your phone away."
ConorTully

Postby RollingCoasting on September 22nd, 2016, 12:34 am
I'm honestly not as excited for The Joker as I was when it was first announced. It doesn't seem like anyone else on here is overly excited either, considering this was almost pushed back to page 2. I really liked where ERC was in the park, it gave a great view of Batman and the white-picket fences looked really nice. It seems very random for SFGAm to put the Joker where it is since it involved re-directing a path, I feel like they could've squeezed somewhere else. I'm not saying "Oh I hate Joker because of where it's located," it just seems like a very odd placement.

I'll for sure ride it once for the credit, but after that (For the 2017 season at least) I don't know, I'm not sure if I'll wait 4 and half hours like I did for Goliath the day after it opened (Though to be fair, it did breakdown at least 5 times). Plus Jokers capacity isn't the greatest...

Another thing that bugs me is the ride length, I jokingly guessed it was 25 seconds after the lift-hill whilst in the chat-room, and another user counted and it actually was 25 seconds. I remember when I first rode X-Flight in 2012 I was like "I love this coaster, but it's way too short," which actually caused it to fall behind Raging Bull in the spot for my favorite coaster later that day. Then in 2014 I thought the same though for Goliath, though I was slightly more irritated. I don't even know what to say anymore. Iron Wolf was longer than Goliath (Ride-Time wise) and so was Ragin' Cajun with Joker. X-Flight seems like Steel Dragon 2000 compared to Joker. I just want SFGAm to get a long coaster for once, I think I would've rather gotten a 5000 ft. long Launched RMC-Trex or something in 2019 then get Joker in 2017 and not get another coaster until at least 2021. :p
RollingCoasting

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on September 22nd, 2016, 1:20 am
Hate to break it to you, but I don't think Six Flags will add a 5000+ ft. long coaster any time soon. Six Flags is very cost-conscious after their last bankruptcy. The 2 longest coasters we have a chance of getting are either a Premier Launch(Full Throttle is 2,200 ft long) or a GT-X(Lightning Run is 2,500 ft long).

Also, according to your logic, you'd rather wait 5 years for a singular new coaster versus 2 within 5 years of one another?

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby RollingCoasting on September 22nd, 2016, 1:35 am
That's because I didn't/don't really think a Free Spin is "Necessary" for a big park like us, I'd rather wait a few years for a large coaster instead of getting a small/mid-size one that probably delayed any chance of a larger one for at least 3 years.

Also, am I the only one not 100% on board with the GTX Idea? I mean sure, I want a coaster that has LR's airtime, but if it's just going to be another short coaster, then no thanks. I'd say the last decent length coaster we got was either Deja Vu or Raging Bull. So it has been 15 years...

V2 - Short
S:UF - Short, replaced long coaster
RC - Somewhat short
TDK - Somewhat short
X-Flight - Promoted to Somewhat short
Goliath - Short, replaced long(er) coaster
Joker - Short, replaced long(er) coaster
RollingCoasting

Postby Wisco Woody on September 22nd, 2016, 4:32 am
I do hope beyond hope that SFGAm management realizes that on top of missing a complete circuit launch coaster, we are missing one or more coasters that accomplish 3 things:

1. Another coaster longer than 5,000 ft long and longer than 1 minute from top of lift hill to brakes.
2. A 90+ mph coaster
3. A steel airtime machine with loads of floater air and/or several pops of ejector air in every seat.

All 3 of these holes in the park's offering can be fixed by one coaster, an out and back giga coaster that starts from either along Yukon and Orleans to front of park and back, or potentially replacing American Eagle for their 2020/2021 coaster addition.

Katy Enrique has talked about the lack of a 2nd launched coaster before, so it seems they will likely go with a Premier, Mack, etc launched coaster, but with the Park's increased revenues and popularity, they should have built up enough profit to build a $30 million giga for 2021 or 2022.
Wisco Woody

Postby CoasterRiderSC on September 22nd, 2016, 10:52 am
I hear what RollingCoasting is saying about Joker being short. But so is Giant Drop :) I will say I'm looking way more forward to Joker than I was for JL. Personally, JL is just a video game on wheels with some cool effects. It's not a "Must ride" for me at all. I even prefer TDK over it.

I would much rather have us getting a "big" coaster as well. But at least we're getting something and not a refurb of an area like 2015.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum