Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Official 'The Joker' Topic

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on May 24th, 2017, 1:23 pm
Oh no, this is much more comfortable. It's still pretty random, but it feels a lot more natural than Chaos. Almost like a somersault. Very enjoyable.

And I do think it is better than Bull. After 11 rides on the thing, I can safely say that I enjoy Joker much more. My theory is this: Although the Joker is shorter, it has a larger ratio of enjoyable moments(which is basically the whole ride) to the ride length. Raging Bull may have more enjoyable moments, but it also spends more of the ride meandering and doing things I found rather dull(i.e. The Trim, MCBR, turn over the first drop). On Joker, you'll be laughing the entire time. On Bull, you'll only be laughing when it's good.

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on May 24th, 2017, 3:14 pm
I don't think it's hasty to put it in top 5 already. After a few times on it I'm sure I'll have it on my top 5 as well. I love love love 4D's <3 Also, does anyone have an idea why the sides seem different? I get all the rides are different and all, but I'm a bit intrigued that green seems to flip more than purple.
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby gottastrata33 on May 24th, 2017, 4:58 pm
I love it. I agree with Guy- you'll laugh the entire ride. My sore throat from laugh screaming is just now going away from Thursday. It really is fantastic. It's an excellent addition to our park.
gottastrata33

Postby CD5 on May 24th, 2017, 5:24 pm
Are you able to choose which side you sit on? If purple is more tame than green, I'll definitely start there.
CD5

Postby CoasterRiderSC on May 25th, 2017, 12:27 pm
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:Oh no, this is much more comfortable. It's still pretty random, but it feels a lot more natural than Chaos. Almost like a somersault. Very enjoyable.

And I do think it is better than Bull. After 11 rides on the thing, I can safely say that I enjoy Joker much more. My theory is this: Although the Joker is shorter, it has a larger ratio of enjoyable moments(which is basically the whole ride) to the ride length. Raging Bull may have more enjoyable moments, but it also spends more of the ride meandering and doing things I found rather dull(i.e. The Trim, MCBR, turn over the first drop). On Joker, you'll be laughing the entire time. On Bull, you'll only be laughing when it's good.

Cam, Thanks for explaining about the flips being like a somersault and your logic for making it Top 5. I can't wait to ride it! I probably won't get the chance until CAD on 6/16.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Tardis1972 on May 25th, 2017, 5:18 pm
I rode Joker twice and I got say it's pretty fun.Only the purple side was open though. Is there really a difference between the green and purple side?
Also did anyone notice the Ragin' Cajuin box on top on Jokers lift hill?
Last edited by Tardis1972 on May 25th, 2017, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tardis1972

Postby great america fan on May 25th, 2017, 6:45 pm
Tardis1972 wrote:I rode Joker twice and I got say it's pretty fun.Only the purple side was open though.
Also did anyone notice the Ragin' Cajuin box on top on Jokers lift hill?

I noticed that too a cool little homage
great america fan

Postby WolfsterJ on May 25th, 2017, 6:48 pm
Tardis1972 wrote:Alright I've ridden Joker twice already and I got say it's pretty fun. Forwards was better than backwards though. Only the purple side is open.
Also did anyone notice the Ragin' Cajun box on top on Jokers lift hill?

I was there for T-Shirt day too. Stayed the whole time and went on about 6 times in total. Definitely saw the Ragin Cajun box, with the Mardi gras design. Nice little Easter egg.

Forwards is definitely better, at least on the purple side. I averaged about two flips a ride on front, with one flip on the back.

To me, the ride seemed pretty predictable. One flip is always on the hill before the big drop, and one on the top, near the first dive loop.

Overall, its a great addition to our park, and, agreeing with Cam here, a worthy top 5 ride. Wish I got to ride the green side though, heard it's a lot wilder than purple.

If anyone else was there, I was the blonde guy wearing the green Joker shirt with grey sleeves and blue jeans.
Last edited by WolfsterJ on May 26th, 2017, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
WolfsterJ

Postby B&MGuy35 on May 25th, 2017, 6:51 pm
They ran out of T-Shirts today and started selling Rhompers instead....

Just kidding it was snapback's but the rhomper would have been amazing to see all those people in!
LMFAO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby CoasterDude12-2 on May 25th, 2017, 9:07 pm
Can anyone tell me about the seats on Joker? Are they bigger/smaller/the same than seats for Superman, XFlight, etc? Could you imagine someone having trouble on those rides having trouble on Joker? For comparison's sake, I can just wiggle my way onto Superman and XFlight but can't fit on Batman.
CoasterDude12-2

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on May 25th, 2017, 9:55 pm
They're very deep seats. You should be able to fit if you can do X-Flight.

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby CoasterRiderSC on May 26th, 2017, 8:15 am
What kind of restraints are there and are they comfortable?? Also, stupid question what "controls" the flipping?? Is it magnetic, your bodyweight or something else?

CoasterRiderSC

Postby B&MGuy35 on May 26th, 2017, 9:52 am
CoasterRiderSC wrote:What kind of restraints are there and are they comfortable?? Also, stupid question what "controls" the flipping?? Is it magnetic, your bodyweight or something else?

Not a stupid question. The magnets help the car to begin the flip process, however it's the distribution of the body weight in the cars that determines how much you flip so no ride is the same ever. The purple side has been set for less flipping and the green side you get much more. The park has the ability to set the strength of the magnets which constitutes how much flipping happens.

Hope that explains it.

B&MGuy35

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on May 26th, 2017, 11:07 am
^Yeah that's pretty much how it flips. As for the restraints, they're like X-Flight's in that they have a vest and seatbelt. However, I do find these to be much more comfortable than X-Flight because the vest locks on X-Flight, whereas they don't on Joker; you can move around a bit.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby CoasterRiderSC on May 26th, 2017, 11:31 am
^ You had me at "X-Flight type restraints" !! I love those. This ride really looks fun. All the reviews I've read and the live POV from Channel 9 all say that the ride is fun and it's not a vomit-inducing ride!

CoasterRiderSC

Postby maxwellt on May 26th, 2017, 4:44 pm
So I'm not sure if you guys would remember be, but I'm back!

After a sophomore year full of huge ups and downs, it's almost to an end, meaning I'll be much more active on the forums! All I got is finals next week and I'm free. Sorry this isn't too much on the topic of joker, but it's a heads up for y'all. Sorry about me being very inactive during the off season. What did I miss?

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk
maxwellt

Postby JaminOut on May 26th, 2017, 10:29 pm
^Well, for starters you can back track on a few thread to see our friend was resurrected...

I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby maxwellt on May 26th, 2017, 10:56 pm
JaminOut wrote:^Well, for starters you can back track on a few thread to see our friend was resurrected...

Oh shoot.....sorry, this time it's legit tho, lemme just say sophomore year was hell for me...

maxwellt

Postby CoasterDave316 on May 26th, 2017, 11:47 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:What kind of restraints are there and are they comfortable?? Also, stupid question what "controls" the flipping?? Is it magnetic, your bodyweight or something else?

Not a stupid question. The magnets help the car to begin the flip process, however it's the distribution of the body weight in the cars that determines how much you flip so no ride is the same ever. The purple side has been set for less flipping and the green side you get much more. The park has the ability to set the strength of the magnets which constitutes how much flipping happens.

Hope that explains it.

After riding it a bunch on Thursday, I would disagree that no ride is ever the same. I rode it a bunch without getting up in all the seats on the green side. The ride was very consistent on where it flipped, and where it almost flipped. It actually surprised me at how consistent it was considering I rode it by myself and with a few different people and it was pretty much the same.

I didn't realize how controlled it was until I had rode in the same seat a few different times, the first few times riding forward and backwards felt completely different. The frontwards and backwards seats give a completely different feeling.
Go Bulls!
Dave - SFGAmWorld Webmaster
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby RollingCoasting on May 27th, 2017, 10:19 pm
A few pages back there was a debate of how long Joker's line would be at closing.

Just wanted to clarify - The line is still open until about 5 minutes before the park closes. I'm not sure how long it is to wait under the tent (I did SRL), but that's how about (About meaning 2 or 3 empty tent switchbacks) long the regular queue was when the line was roped off. Didn't use the switchbacks by Capone's all day, actually.

The single rider is much better than Superman and Goliath's - You merge in with the regular line, significantly reducing the wait. I waited less than 15 minutes
RollingCoasting

Postby batmanfan80 on May 28th, 2017, 1:11 am
It was alright. Think I was in the outer seat in the 2nd set of seats from the right facing Batman. The ride is probably a bit more intense than I would like. Slams my thighs very slightly, gives a bit of a whiplash type feeling. Very disorienting. Got one full flip and a lot of halfs. Line moves very well. Seemed to draw a lot of people away from Batman as we went there first and the line was only about 20 min around 7ish tonight.
batmanfan80

Postby stergmi on May 28th, 2017, 9:27 am
Got 3 rides on it yesterday, SRQ moves really quick as they are running it like they should (i.e. group of 3 comes so they pull from SRQ instead of waiting to find another odd numbered group like Goliath team does).

2 rides on green side, one facing front (outside seat) and one facing back (inside seat). 1 on purple side facing back (inside seat). 2 night rides. Green track def more intense, actually got a double backflip off the first raven drop. More fun at night especially with how the ride is lit up. I'll admit I was really underwhelmed when this was announced but after riding it I'm totally sold on this ride and it's a solid addition. I get the complaints about it being another clone but the next closest 4D coaster is 850 miles away in New Jersey so I don't even think that matters anymore.
stergmi

Postby CoasterNick3157 on May 28th, 2017, 11:10 am
goliath SRL sucks totally sucks just 10 people in SRL will take 30 minutes
CoasterNick3157

Postby stockboy300 on May 29th, 2017, 1:45 pm
Just found out the Joker doesn't operate when winds are 20mph or above! At the park now and yes it's busy!
stockboy300

Postby maxwellt on May 29th, 2017, 1:49 pm
stockboy300 wrote:Just found out the Joker doesn't operate when winds are 20mph or above! At the park now and yes it's busy!

I guess it makes sense. Like it could impact spins, and it's not that fast of a coaster, so it could impact that too

maxwellt

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum