Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Park's most expendable coaster

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby CoasterCale on September 16th, 2016, 8:41 am
I would have to say V2 as well for it's low capacity, reliability (or the lack of), and being a clone without the holding break. Superman would also be up here, but it's popular. For every one mention of V2, there's three or four mentionings of Superman.
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Postby batmanfan80 on September 17th, 2016, 1:12 pm
Eagle's roughness is completely different from Demons. Demon is only really bad for people who are not tall enough to clear the restraint(and even then, my 5'3ish wife never really had a problem after tilting her head into the corkscrews). Eagle's roughness is about violently shaking you. For me, it's gotten to a point where I don't really care to ride it anymore. Probably about 60% as bad as Mean Streak at its worst, and MS felt like it was literally going to make my chest explode. Pretzelman is ok. Those pretzel loops are extremely intense and somewhat uncomfortable. I don't think it's as popular as people think it is. First, a lot of people enter that line thinking it's a lot shorter than it is. Second, flying coasters seem to have the slowest dispatch times of anything. Manta was just as bad recently.

They obviously can't take down Batman. In terms of sheer ride quality, it would prob be my fav. But, it ends way too abruptly. These 7 loopers like Kraken, Kumba, and Montu feel like 5 looper rides with 6th and 7th inversions just tacked on with a lot of straight track between the last 3 inversions. Batman would be perfect if it just added like a Batwing or even a couple dips and turns at the end. Whizzer is the one they'll probably never get rid of. As long as there isn't a big innovation in coaster tech equivalent to what B&M did, we probably won't see much change.

Demon is probably the most expendable, followed by the Eagle. There won't be as many people wanting to save them due to sentimental reasons since today's park experience bares little resemblance to the experience people had 30-40 years ago. Judging by Yelp and other reviews, our park has destroyed their brand in the eyes of thousands of people in the area. If they had any competent competition, they'd be outta business.
batmanfan80

Postby Wisco Woody on September 17th, 2016, 2:51 pm
Destroyed their brand? Nonsense, the park has record attendance and popularity. Great America has always been about coasters and rides that are relatively unique in their time, particularly alternate riding position coasters and innovative or fast paced layouts.

X-Flight, Goliath, Hometown Park, Justice League, Demon/RotG VR, and soon Joker will have all been added since just 2012, a level of additions and quality in only 5 years that almost no other park can match.
Wisco Woody

Postby FParker185 on September 18th, 2016, 12:40 am
Demons roughness is due to poor design/engineering, Eagle's roughness is due to poor maintenance.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby Mean Streaker on September 18th, 2016, 1:22 am
What is it with everyone and their not being able to handle rough woodies?

Batman is the most painful in the park. Way worse than AE or Demon.
Mean Streaker

Postby RollingCoasting on September 18th, 2016, 1:31 am
Mean Streaker wrote:What is it with everyone and their not being able to handle rough woodies?

This.

Mean Streaker wrote:Batman is the most painful in the park

Mean Streaker wrote:Way worse than Demon.

RollingCoasting

Postby Mean Streaker on September 18th, 2016, 1:33 am
RollingCoasting wrote:
Mean Streaker wrote:What is it with everyone and their not being able to handle rough woodies?

This.

Mean Streaker wrote:Batman is the most painful in the park

Mean Streaker wrote:Way worse than Demon.

Can I get extra points for saying S:UF was a lot rougher than AE last time I was at the park?
Mean Streaker

Postby RollingCoasting on September 18th, 2016, 1:35 am
If you can scientifically explain to me how Superman would be rougher than American Eagle (I don't think either are rough, but come on), sure.

Illuminati Breakdowns do not count, btw.
RollingCoasting

Postby stergmi on September 18th, 2016, 6:55 am

Batman is the most painful in the park. Way worse than AE or Demon.

I'd say B&Ms smooth rides have ruined the GP. I can't go into any comments on Coaster Studios videos without everyone complaining about woodies. It sounds like unless it's an RMC, they're all too rough and need Iron Horse.
stergmi

Postby Wisco Woody on September 18th, 2016, 9:27 am
For God's sake, Batman isn't rough, it may not be the smoothest in the world anymore but it's still pretty damn smooth. The reason you get headbanging in the zero g roll and corkscrews is the lateral g force and your body's response to it due to the speed of going through the corkscrew lateral maneuver. Just press your head to one side at the corkscrews or keep your head forward.
Wisco Woody

Postby Mean Streaker on September 18th, 2016, 10:01 am
[/quote]I'd say B&Ms smooth rides have ruined the GP. I can't go into any comments on Coaster Studios videos without everyone complaining about woodies. It sounds like unless it's an RMC, they're all too rough and need Iron Horse.[/quote]

This.

Wisco Woody wrote:For God's sake, Batman isn't rough, it may not be the smoothest in the world anymore but it's still pretty damn smooth. The reason you get headbanging in the zero g roll and corkscrews is the lateral g force and your body's response to it due to the speed of going through the corkscrew lateral maneuver. Just press your head to one side at the corkscrews or keep your head forward.

I never said it was rough, I said it was painful.
Mean Streaker

Postby stergmi on September 18th, 2016, 10:38 am
Wisco Woody wrote:For God's sake, Batman isn't rough, it may not be the smoothest in the world anymore but it's still pretty damn smooth. The reason you get headbanging in the zero g roll and corkscrews is the lateral g force and your body's response to it due to the speed of going through the corkscrew lateral maneuver. Just press your head to one side at the corkscrews or keep your head forward.

I just sit in the back row. The speed is enough to stop the head banging.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
stergmi

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on September 18th, 2016, 10:49 am
I think some people may mistake intensity and g forces for pain or unsmoothness. Maybe it is for them, but for me I can see a difference between them.
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby Mean Streaker on September 18th, 2016, 11:08 am
Dan The Coaster Man wrote:I think some people may mistake intensity and g forces for pain or unsmoothness. Maybe it is for them, but for me I can see a difference between them.

For me it's just the head banging on batman. Maybe I just prepare more for the corkscrews on Demon and that's why I consider it less painful.
Mean Streaker

Postby maxwellt on September 18th, 2016, 3:10 pm
I think batman has a bit of a rattle, but b&m rattles don't bug me at all

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk
maxwellt

Postby Wisco Woody on September 18th, 2016, 4:10 pm
You can have the smoothest steel coaster in the world, but if it has OTSRs and goes through corkscrews and rolls that small with that speed or faster, then there will inevitably be headbanging and eventually a rattle. That's what made Batman truly special when it opened, as it was the first coaster to be that smooth and yet have such powerful g force and intensity through its unique corkscrews and the world's first ever zero g roll.
Wisco Woody

Postby RollingCoasting on September 18th, 2016, 4:35 pm
The headbanging on Batman doesn't even hurt though. It's only 1 or 2 soft-ish bangs on the corkscrews (For me atleast). I've personally never had any problems with the Zero-G-Roll, so not sure how you guys are getting headbanging there. I will say that Batman on occasion(Bolded so bbd can't insult me about it) makes me dizzy, but never in pain.
RollingCoasting

Postby stergmi on September 19th, 2016, 10:22 am
RollingCoasting wrote:The headbanging on Batman doesn't even hurt though. It's only 1 or 2 soft-ish bangs on the corkscrews (For me atleast). I've personally never had any problems with the Zero-G-Roll, so not sure how you guys are getting headbanging there. I will say that Batman on occasion(Bolded so bbd can't insult me about it) makes me dizzy, but never in pain.

I think the Butt Buddy Daddy has been banned. Or left on his own

stergmi

Postby CoasterRiderSC on September 19th, 2016, 10:54 am
^^^^^ (responding to batmanfan80)
I think Eagle is an important icon and helps define our park. As for it being rough, I agree with what everyone else has stated about wooden coasters (not designed to be smooth) and especially when you compare them to a B&M like X Flight (the Cadillac of rides in my opinion!).

I think one part of Batman that is very underrated is that section after the 2nd loop, prior to the corkscrews. I feel intense downward pressure (positive G's) in that section. i just started really noticing that last year.

As for Superman, even though many will say it's a "one trick pony" (the pretzel loop) it's still pretty popular. I don't see it being removed anytime soon. But that's just in my opinion. I'm certainly no expert and I don't have an 8 figure bank account (like bbd)
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Mean Streaker on September 19th, 2016, 11:53 am
stergmi wrote:
RollingCoasting wrote:The headbanging on Batman doesn't even hurt though. It's only 1 or 2 soft-ish bangs on the corkscrews (For me atleast). I've personally never had any problems with the Zero-G-Roll, so not sure how you guys are getting headbanging there. I will say that Batman on occasion(Bolded so bbd can't insult me about it) makes me dizzy, but never in pain.

I think the Butt Buddy Daddy has been banned. Or left on his own

Someone finally cracked the code of the meaning behind bbd.
Mean Streaker

Postby ConorTully on September 19th, 2016, 11:53 am
Whoever mentioned the softening of B&M's modern-day rides being the cause of so many complaints hit it ride on the head. People are WAY too soft nowadays, maybe since I am 16 and my youth has some bit of resistance to rougher rides, but that doesn't do a very good job of explaining why my 50 year old father(who is 6 foot 3) has absolutely no problem, and actually excites over "rough" rides such as Kumba, Eagle, Batman, Montu, or Demon. B&M's modern coasters are by no means forceless, but they certainly lack the excitement and intensity of old. Call me old fashioned(which would be weird as again I am only 16) but if you are complaining about a ride being too rough, you either A.) Are not riding it correctly or B.) You are soft.

Sorry if I am coming off a little harsh to some, however i felt it needed to be said how modern coasters have become seemingly void of any good excitement due to the manufacturers fear of complaints of a little rattle or shake.
@silkymitts_ on Instagram

"Sir, please put your phone away."
ConorTully

Postby CoasterRiderSC on September 19th, 2016, 12:52 pm
ConorTully wrote:Whoever mentioned the softening of B&M's modern-day rides being the cause of so many complaints hit it ride on the head. People are WAY too soft nowadays, maybe since I am 16 and my youth has some bit of resistance to rougher rides, but that doesn't do a very good job of explaining why my 50 year old father(who is 6 foot 3) has absolutely no problem, and actually excites over "rough" rides such as Kumba, Eagle, Batman, Montu, or Demon. B&M's modern coasters are by no means forceless, but they certainly lack the excitement and intensity of old. Call me old fashioned(which would be weird as again I am only 16) but if you are complaining about a ride being too rough, you either A.) Are not riding it correctly or B.) You are soft.

Sorry if I am coming off a little harsh to some, however i felt it needed to be said how modern coasters have become seemingly void of any good excitement due to the manufacturers fear of complaints of a little rattle or shake.

Personally, I don't find Demon to be rough at all. I just don't feel ANYTHING on that first drop! It's about the same height as the "photo op" drop on RB!! The corkscrews don't bother me and neither do the 2 loops. The only "rough" spot is when the train "bounces" for a second on the lift hill and even that's not bad. My complaint about Demon is that the VR turned a walk on (read that as some quick rides to pad the stats) into a long wait.

Oh, and I'm 45 and rides don't bother me at all either! Neither coasters or spinning rides.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Wisco Woody on September 19th, 2016, 1:10 pm
Batman to me is my 2nd favorite coaster at the park after Goliath, and certainly still the most dynamic and intense steel coaster. Not only do Batman and Raptor at CP reliably bring the 5 positive Gs, but it's quick laterals mimic the presence of a rattle and eventually create a small one, even though the ride everywhere else is very smooth. It was redundant for B&M to design X-Flight, Gatekeeper, and Banshee with both the vest restraints that prevent headbanging AND removal of any strong lateral elements like normal corkscrews and quick zero g rolls, and thus we are disappointingly left without any significant lateral G force. That being said, Banshee is my 2nd or 3rd favorite steel coaster, Raptor my 5th or 6th, and Batman my 10th or 11th. Raptor is especially brutal for those over 6 ft tall, I'm barely 5'10 and the helix of torture almost ripped my legs off, it is truly awesome g force!
Wisco Woody

Postby ConorTully on September 19th, 2016, 3:10 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
ConorTully wrote:Whoever mentioned the softening of B&M's modern-day rides being the cause of so many complaints hit it ride on the head. People are WAY too soft nowadays, maybe since I am 16 and my youth has some bit of resistance to rougher rides, but that doesn't do a very good job of explaining why my 50 year old father(who is 6 foot 3) has absolutely no problem, and actually excites over "rough" rides such as Kumba, Eagle, Batman, Montu, or Demon. B&M's modern coasters are by no means forceless, but they certainly lack the excitement and intensity of old. Call me old fashioned(which would be weird as again I am only 16) but if you are complaining about a ride being too rough, you either A.) Are not riding it correctly or B.) You are soft.

Personally, I don't find Demon to be rough at all. I just don't feel ANYTHING on that first drop! It's about the same height as the "photo op" drop on RB!! The corkscrews don't bother me and neither do the 2 loops. The only "rough" spot is when the train "bounces" for a second on the lift hill and even that's not bad. My complaint about Demon is that the VR turned a walk on (read that as some quick rides to pad the stats) into a long wait.

Oh, and I'm 45 and rides don't bother me at all either! Neither coasters or spinning rides.

Perfect. Nothing on demons first drop? You sure you havent gotten any of that backseat ejector? Its got a nice pop to it lol.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
@silkymitts_ on Instagram

"Sir, please put your phone away."
ConorTully

Postby stergmi on September 19th, 2016, 4:25 pm

No, you got it perfect. There are (were) rough rides in the world i.e. Qwazi and almost everything built by Dinn. Even some of my beloved Arrows (such as Corkscrew at CP and Anaconda at KD) aren't great even when you know how to ride an Arrow.
stergmi

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum