Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Park's 'most important' coaster?

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 8th, 2016, 3:33 pm
We all have favorites and least favorites, but this isn't about those. This is about what coaster is the most vital to our lineup. If it was removed, we'd have a huge gap in our lineup. What do you think it is?

In my opinion, I think Whizzer is the most vital. It's the perfect family coaster. It's not too tall, not too fast, no inversions or large, sudden drops to satisfy the younger audience, but also has the right amount of intensity, terrain interaction, and length to appeal to older clientele. It's the perfect bridge that connects Spacely's and Little Dipper to Demon and Viper.

What do you think?

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby RollingCoasting on July 8th, 2016, 4:43 pm
American Eagle. It's the first coaster many people see when entering the park from the Highway and is a Great America classic. It's also a very iconic figure in the park. Without it, there'd be a huge void.

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk
RollingCoasting

Postby SFGAM_Hog on July 8th, 2016, 4:49 pm
I have to say Raging Bull because it's the tallest rollercoaster in the park, and it can be visible from tons of places around the highway and Waukegan. (Heck, I can even see it from Gurnee in some places)
SFGAM_Hog

Postby stergmi on July 9th, 2016, 6:51 am
RollingCoasting wrote:American Eagle. It's the first coaster many people see when entering the park from the Highway and is a Great America classic. It's also a very iconic figure in the park. Without it, there'd be a huge void.

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

This. AE was the first major coaster we got. I imagine for a lot of us here that are 30 and up, she was our first major coaster. And she was also the parks first record breaker coaster.
stergmi

Postby RBullFan97 on July 9th, 2016, 7:40 am
Add me to the Whizzer club. Like mentioned earlier, you couldn't ask for a more perfect family coaster, and for many guests it was their first coaster, or their first big coaster like myself (technically I rode Spacely's before Whizzer). Not to mention it is probably the most unique coaster in the park that strengthens our coaster lineup. Just about every other coaster at Great America has either a twin or a similar counterpart somewhere in the United States, but there is virtually nothing else like the Whizzer in North America. Hometown Square and the park in general would be impossible to imagine without the Whizzer, in my opinion.

American Eagle would probably be in 2nd place for me.
SFGAm Ride Count 2018: 286
SFGAm Ride Count 2019: 252
SFGAm Ride Count 2020: Well, ya know...
RBullFan97

Postby Viper 88 on July 9th, 2016, 2:43 pm
I would say that Whizzer or DEMON is absolutely essential. They can accomodate people of lots of varying sizes from to kids and very thin to your larger guests. They are also perfect family coasters not everyone in every family is going to want to be up 200 feet or have their feet dangling while zipping down a cravass.
Viper 88

Postby depotrat on July 9th, 2016, 3:26 pm
Viper 88 wrote:I would say that Whizzer or DEMON is absolutely essential. They can accomodate people of lots of varying sizes from to kids and very thin to your larger guests. They are also perfect family coasters not everyone in every family is going to want to be up 200 feet or have their feet dangling while zipping down a cravass.

We visited the park for the first time ever last week (thanks for all your help) and rode all the coasters. The only really unique experience was Whizzer. All the rest, we have experienced similar or exact copies in other parks. That is probably the reason you have hung onto Whizzer all these years. As an outsider I think the loss of that coaster would be a real shame.
depotrat

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on July 11th, 2016, 12:33 am
I would have to agree it is Whizzer as well.
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby ThemeParkFan07 on July 11th, 2016, 8:43 pm
Whizzer. It's one of the rides that gives the park its heart and soul. Everyone loves it, and everyone can ride it. Even many friends of mine who won't go on anything else ride and love the Whizzer.

Nothing else comes close, in my opinion.
ThemeParkFan07

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 22nd, 2016, 11:50 am
I agree with Whizzer being most vital due to its wide appeal. I totally love the spiral lift hill because there's no other ride that still has that!

Eagle would be another vital ride due to its legacy and iconic presence.

Favorite lift hills at our park in no particular order:

1) Whizzer
2) Raging Bull (nice relaxing break)
3) X Flight (i LOVE the music!)
4) Eagle - great views!
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterDemon on August 22nd, 2016, 12:12 pm
Whizzer.

It's amazing and heart warming to see it's popularity go back up over the past few years. It was never a 'dead' ride, but people will go out of their way for it now.

After that, I would say Raging Bull, Demon, American Eagle, Batman... There was an interview in the late 90's with one of the park's spokespeople, and she was asked what the most popular ride is, she said "Demon is our most popular ride." This was strange to hear as Shockwave and Batman already came out. I guess good ole Demon has it's fans. We notice the short lines at Demon, but also notice how it's never shutdown...
CoasterDemon

Postby aaron60060 on August 22nd, 2016, 1:15 pm
When I read the OP, I immediately thought of Whizzer. It was the first roller coaster I rode as a kid back in '87, something I'm sure is true for a lot of us. I love that anyone can ride it, even people who have motion sickness problems like I used to. At the same time, it's also just a fantastic ride. So much speed at times, races through a wooded wetland, is very long compared to many other rides, just so much to list. If I had to pick one attraction that shouldn't ever be removed, it's Whizzer.
aaron60060

Postby Coaster Justin on August 23rd, 2016, 4:40 am
Whizzer. It is the only coaster in the park that cannot be found anywhere in the US. How Schwarzkopf only built 4 is depressing to everyone.
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby Tardis1972 on August 30th, 2016, 10:06 am
Batman The Ride. I mean we're talking about the worlds first inverted coaster so one could also say it is the most important invereted coaster in the world.
Tardis1972

Postby CoasterCale on September 16th, 2016, 8:48 am
I can't believe I'm saying this but actually Whizzer. It's true. There's nothing else like it in the country. (Unless you wanna count Tigg'r) Everything else in the park has either exact clones or similar models with different layouts.
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Postby batmanfan80 on September 17th, 2016, 2:57 pm
I would also say Whizzer. It's the most unique and has the most sentimental value with everyone aside from it being the closest thing to an easy family coaster.
batmanfan80

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on September 17th, 2016, 11:54 pm
Without the whizzer I see a giant hole in the line up. Hope it sticks around.
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby maxwellt on September 18th, 2016, 8:30 am
Dan The Coaster Man wrote:Without the whizzer I see a giant hole in the line up. Hope it sticks around.

Without a doubt it'll stay. The park would never remove a rare ACE landmark, and a schwarzkopf classic

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk
maxwellt

Postby stergmi on September 18th, 2016, 8:46 am
maxwellt wrote:
Dan The Coaster Man wrote:Without the whizzer I see a giant hole in the line up. Hope it sticks around.

Without a doubt it'll stay. The park would never remove a rare ACE landmark, and a schwarzkopf classic

*looks at abandoned Big Dipper at Geauga Lake*

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
stergmi

Postby maxwellt on September 18th, 2016, 9:02 am
stergmi wrote:
maxwellt wrote:

That's cedar fair. They also got rid of a whizzer style ride from WOF, so they don't know how to keep classics in tact

maxwellt

Postby stergmi on September 18th, 2016, 9:15 am
maxwellt wrote:
stergmi wrote:
maxwellt wrote:[quote="Dan The Coaster Man"]Without the whizzer I see a giant hole in the line up. Hope it sticks around.

That's cedar fair. They also got rid of a whizzer style ride from WOF, so they don't know how to keep classics in tact

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk[/quote]
Yeah it's CF but still, Whizzer is getting old and sits on good land. We would all like to think it's safe but in the corporate landscape, nothing's safe.

stergmi

Postby Wisco Woody on September 18th, 2016, 9:41 am
They announced they were originally going to remove Whizzer for Superman UF until everyone got super angry, so they removed Shockwave. They will remove Whizzer eventually for the right replacement.
Wisco Woody

Postby JaminOut on September 18th, 2016, 10:52 am
^Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby RollingCoasting on September 18th, 2016, 4:37 pm
I wouldn't be surprised if Whizzer was removed. I think in June 2011 Hank Salemi said they wanted to keep their classic rides for as long as possible and he said Iron Wolf wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. Yeah...
RollingCoasting

Postby JaminOut on September 18th, 2016, 5:08 pm
^That's different. There was a sudden change of plans in attractions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Next

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum