Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

First time visit

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby depotrat on April 12th, 2016, 7:30 pm
We will be visiting SFGAM for the first time on a weekday in late June. We are experienced park goers and certainly know the basics but any inside tips from people that have SFGAM as a home park would be much appreciated.
depotrat

Postby RobSFGAm on April 12th, 2016, 7:55 pm
You will get some good advice on this forum, but a few I have are:
1) Download the park map so you have an idea of how the park is laid out and where you want to go to first (basically after the carousel, you can go left or right and it is a circle, so either way you will see everything).
2) Determine your must ride attractions and remember the newer ones like Goliath get a really long line fast and it usually only gets longer. Raging Bull is the tallest and longest coaster there, so that gets a pretty good line on busy days too.
3) Not sure if you are thinking about a Flash-Pass or not, but for a since day, might not be a bad idea. Flash pass is about 50 years after you pass under the train trestle if you start your day on the right side.
4) Get in the park and at the ticket/security gate at least 15 minutes (longer would be a bit better) so when the huge line behind you is waiting to get through security and ticket booth, you will be riding.
5) Once inside the park most people go to the right so that side is usually longer. Season passes and FlashPass is there so that adds to the line. Goliath is about the same distance (near the back of the park) so going left might help with a little bit smaller crowds getting to Goliath if you choose not to get a FlashPass.
6) Most of the park rides open at 10:30, but some are 30-60 minutes later (American Eagle usually is a delayed start). Also keep in mind that the water park opens an hour later if you are planning to do that. The line gets really long on hot days so you might be better waiting in that line at least 30 minutes before.
7) I would say that that the most popular rides are Raging Bull, Goliath, X-Flight, Superman, Batman the Ride so plan around those rides if you are planning to hit coasters mostly.
Other people will have additional comments/suggestions, so hopefully what I have listed will give some ideas for planning.
Excuse typing errors, long day....
RobSFGAm

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on April 12th, 2016, 8:29 pm
My biggest thing is food. Lines can get huge!! Try to park close to the gate and eat in your car. There is a variety of restaurants right before you enter the park, subway works pretty well (although I'm not sure if there is a subway in gurnee, I'm sure there is but I always go to the subway near where I live)

If you're going just a day Flash Pass is a good idea. I've never used it at SFGAm yet, but come to think about it I've only had one or two summer weekend trips that I get just about everything done. If you don't go with a flash pass, definitely set aside what you HAVE to get done. Highest capacity coasters are Raging Bull and Batman, while V2 is slowest (naturally). I'm not the only one on the forums that thinks Viper is underrated, and the line is hardly ever more than 45 mins. Most of the time it's about 20-25 mins, I think it's a steal. Operations at SFGAm are fair, but they'll always be running multiple trains.

Bathrooms can be somewhat hidden if you're new to the park I would think, so keep your eyes out.

JLBFM should be open, which to me makes it the only flat ride you might want to wait for. The rest are pretty much models you can ride elsewhere. Yet JLBFM is too come to think.

All coasters have shelfs for your personal belongings.

Hydration is key it can get pretty hot in June. I would go for a refillable cup, I'm sure you'd get your money's worth, as well as walk home with a souvenir.

I'm sure I'll have more later.
Last edited by Dan The Coaster Man on April 12th, 2016, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on April 12th, 2016, 9:03 pm
First off, get there as early as possible. Lines to get in can get bad. If you want to do Goliath first, then do that straight away. After Goliath, either reride it a bit, or head towards Eagle. Ride the rides there in succession until you get to South West Territory. Go through the "side pass" near JL. Ride JL, then Giant Drop(if you want), then Bull, then Viper(back row for both). Then head out toward Hometown Square, turn right, do Demon, then go back to HTS and do all the rides past that in a circle. If done correctly, V2 should be your last ride. I doubt you'll need it, but if you want, you can get a Flash Pass. For food, either bring some and eat in the car, or eye food stands until you see a short line. Even so, prepare to wait a while.

Have fun on your trip!

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby depotrat on April 12th, 2016, 10:01 pm
Thanks to all for the tips. Very much appreciated. We will probably do a Flash Pass since this is a one day only visit and will certainly be there early. A few questions as we don't know how different SFGAM is compared to other SF parks we have been to.

1. Is there a 10 minute early admission for Gold SP holders?
2. Is there a rope drop or are you in the park and free to go to the rides after the front gate turnstiles?
3. If there is a rope drop, is the Flash Pass Center prior or after the rope drop?
4. When is Justice League scheduled to open?
depotrat

Postby MrsTaxi on April 12th, 2016, 10:40 pm
depotrat wrote:Thanks to all for the tips. Very much appreciated. We will probably do a Flash Pass since this is a one day only visit and will certainly be there early. A few questions as we don't know how different SFGAM is compared to other SF parks we have been to.

1. Is there a 10 minute early admission for Gold SP holders?
2. Is there a rope drop or are you in the park and free to go to the rides after the front gate turnstiles?
3. If there is a rope drop, is the Flash Pass Center prior or after the rope drop?
4. When is Justice League scheduled to open?

3. The "rope drop" is right under the railroad bridges on both sides. Usually, you are allowed entry an hour early, but can only go up to the "rope drop" point.
4. Flash Pass center is after the rope drop.
MrsTaxi

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on April 12th, 2016, 10:43 pm
1. Yes, as well as for Discover Card holders(at least if they are doing it this year, which I'm fairly certain they will).

2. A bit of both. You're able to get to the edge of Carousel Plaza right when the park opens the gate. After that, you roam and wait for your ride to open. Heads up, Goliath does have a walk back, so sorry if you were thinking of running.

3. Unfortunately, no. It is right outside of it, to the right, in Hometown Square. It's the bright red and yellow building next to the theater. It's impossible to miss.

4. We don't have a specific date yet, but going off of what SF did in years past, I think it's safe to assume Memorial Day Weekend. You should be fine.

Again, have fun!

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby depotrat on April 12th, 2016, 11:02 pm
^I am much too old to run any more. LOL Looks like we will be at the Flash Pass center while the walk back to Goliath is happening anyhow. Does American Eagle open later every day by design? I think our plan will be to get as many non Flash Pass attractions as possible right at opening.
depotrat

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on April 12th, 2016, 11:07 pm
Eagle is interesting. They sometimes open at opening, other times it's a 30 minute wait. Also, Red side usually ceases operations around 2, so heads up for that. But besides Eagle and Kiddie Creds, there really aren't that many non-FP rides.

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby depotrat on April 13th, 2016, 5:01 am
Too bad that the FP center is past the rope drop. Many SF parks have it nearer the gate and you can process the FP before ride opening time. So I guess our strategy will be activate the Platinum FP, then two small coasters, next American Eagle and then all the FP attractions. Is Justice League going to be a FP attraction?
depotrat

Postby CoasterCale on April 13th, 2016, 8:22 am
How many will be in your group? And are you guys really wanting coaster credits or simply visiting for the thrills?
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Postby depotrat on April 13th, 2016, 8:43 am
It will probably be just two of us but our time is limited and we want to ride all the coasters once, the better ones twice and some of the flats.
depotrat

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on April 13th, 2016, 10:58 am
I do think JL is going to be Flash Pass. If you are eating in the park, try to go to the sitdown places. The "fast food" ones are a bit bad. Also, avoid Chop Six at all costs.

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby depotrat on April 13th, 2016, 11:37 am
Probably won't be eating much in the park. Our usual strategy for SF and most parks is a later breakfast just before we go in and then wait for a late lunch after we leave with maybe a snack and a drink in the park.

A few years ago we used this same strategy at Carowinds (with the Fast Lane)on a Saturday with a Christian Rock Concert there that day. We still rode every coaster and were on the highway in 4.5 hrs. Hoping for the same here with the Platinum helping us along.

The tip about American Eagle slow opening and early close of one side is exactly the insider stuff I was looking for that will really help and I thank you all! Anything else you think of will be appreciated.
depotrat

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on April 13th, 2016, 11:46 am
Oh yeah, Superman has a single rider line in the FP entrance if you want to save a reservation. It's the same- sometimes even less of a wait than the FP.

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Viper 88 on April 13th, 2016, 12:00 pm
While Most lines tend to move pretty there are some that almost never seem to move: Rue Le Dodge (bumper cars) ride this as your first if you like bc's, Roaring Rapids (raft ride) boats hold 8-12 (I think) but there aren't many of them an the loading platform is slow, Logger's Run (logs) and Yankee Clipper (boats) can also be slow, Ricochet is very slow as well, Hometown Fun Machine can be slow if there is an inexperienced ride op. Triple Play closes early to accomodate the night time parade. If lines for water rides are very long Bucaneer Battle is perfect to get wet on. There are often no lines and you get completely soaked.

Your best bet in terms of beverage is the refillable sports bottle it wil be so worth it when you consider a 20oz bottle is 3.00-3.50 in vending machines. Johnny Rockets (sit down location in Mardi Gras) is good in terms of value double burger fries and onion rings for 11.00 about the same as Red Robin. The Loaded Nachos are the perfect snack for a large group very filling. Don't be a sucker for their novelty ice cream bars (magnum, good humor etc.) they often well exceed prices in store. Popcorn is very salty. Watch fresh fruit cups they can be spoiled. If this is your only visit to our park get a funnel cake sundae it is the perfect dessert.

Buy tickets online or at a Jewel Food Store cheaper than at the park plus no wait for a ticket agent. If going shopping online everything can be purchased online saving time just bring the card you use with you as well as a valid picture id plus the printed items. Check online under the events tab to make sure of what is going on at the park that day, we once got caught by a muslim fest and lines for everything were about 2 hours.

Best stores are Flags, Carousel Gifts and Bugs Buny and Co.

Do not ask me about the waterpark, I despise it. Skull Island is freezing.

Hope you enjoy your day.
Viper 88

Postby depotrat on April 13th, 2016, 12:46 pm
^ Thanks! No water rides for us. Too old to get wet. LOL We have Gold SF SP so no need of tickets or parking vouchers. I will buy the Flash Pass on line a day or so in advance. We are going to a family reunion in northern WI so our time is tight with a 3 hour drive after leaving the park and trying to make late dinner with the family. We are looking forward to the park as it has been on our list for years and it just never worked out before.

I just thought of another question. If another group goes with us they will be parking in the handicapped lot. If I pay for preferred parking will I be near the handicap lot? Are they hooked together like SFNE and SFGADV?
Last edited by depotrat on April 13th, 2016, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
depotrat

Postby CoasterCale on April 13th, 2016, 12:50 pm
Hmmm. My thought was one of you go get The Flash Pass at rope drop and the other goes to Dipper, and meet at Eagle since those are two coasters that don't offer Flash Pass.

CoasterCale

Postby DejaVu2001 on April 13th, 2016, 1:07 pm
Six Flags Great America does not currently offer Preferred Parking.
DejaVu2001

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on April 13th, 2016, 1:27 pm
Yeah, we don't have preferred parking, sorry.

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby depotrat on April 13th, 2016, 1:53 pm
Wow - A Six Flags park missing an opportunity to suck a few extra bucks from guests!! Who knew. LOL Well, then I guess my new question is, Is the handicap lot anywhere near the front of the regular lot?
depotrat

Postby Viper 88 on April 13th, 2016, 11:55 pm
Ok the first 4-5 rows of parking at the main lot is all handicapped. If you want parking as close as possible get in line behind your other group. Meet at Mc Donalds and drive in to the lot behind each other They will get handicappes you will get as close as possible. With such a time constraint I would do Platinum FP, you get to ride twice in a row (I think only once on X Flight and Goliath.

Columbia Carousel, Sky Trek Tower, Hometown Fun Machine, Triple Play, Orbit, Ricochet, River Rocker Chubasco, American Eagle (coaster), Fiddlers Fling, Little Dipper (kids coaster) Whirligig, East River Crawler, Jesters Wild Ride, Big Easy Balloons and Condor are not on the Flash Pass System .

Rue Le Dodge, Superman: Ultimate Flight, The Dark Knight, King Chaos, Roaring Rapids, Yankee Clipper, Batman the Ride, V2, Logger's Run, Goliath, Revolution, Xflight, DEMON, Bucaneer Battle, Giant Drop, Raging Bull, Viper, and Whizzer should all be on the FP system.
Viper 88

Postby CoasterCale on April 15th, 2016, 12:42 am
I'm pretty sure X-Flight allows double rides.

CoasterCale

Postby UnclePennybags on April 15th, 2016, 8:02 pm
I think you came to the right place for info on your first visit to SFGAm.  I received a lot of good info for my first visit with my brother last year.

With respect to the Platinum Flash Pass (PFP), my brother and I got two when we visited on a Wednesday in mid-July.  There were 10 coasters on the PFP, and I had hoped to hit all of them twice, as well as the flat/water rides: King Chaos, Revolution, Giant Drop, Roaring Rapids, Yankee Clipper, and Logger's Run.  In the end, we only got to seven coasters and Giant Drop, and only rode one coaster twice (Whizzer).  Time went by quickly, but we lost the most time as follows:

1) I insisted that we only ride the front seats of every coaster.  The PFP gets you to the station quickly, but once you get there, the lines for the front seats could be as long as 30 minutes (Raging Bull & Goliath).  If I could do things differently, I would have just grabbed any seats with the shortest wait times.

2) Just walking from ride to ride and walking to and from the stations takes time.  Getting to and from Viper is almost a quarter mile!  The time you spend walking adds up unless you're a sprinter.

3) Because this is your first visit, you may not be able to easily maneuver the park or find all of the Flash Pass entrances.  Also, you may see inconsistencies in how the FP queues work between rides.  For example, for Goliath, we were sent up a queue that converged with the main queue just before the station, but we had to hold up our hands to get the operator's attention so that he could pull us into the station.  We lost 15 minutes in the main queue because I waited too long to flag down the operator.

I've heard it's possible to hit every coaster twice with the PFP, but it's not as easy as I thought it would be.  Planning your route through the park via Google maps is one thing; walking that route is another.  Waiting for specific seats could also eat up a lot of your time.

With respect to parking, we arrived 40 minutes before the park opened (10 minutes before the parking lot opened).  There was already a long line of cars waiting for the lot to open, but once it did, it only took us 10 minutes to get through the line and find a parking spot.  If you get to the park 40 minutes early, you should be able to find a spot close to the disabled spots, which isn't that far from the front gates.

Finally, I think it's good that you're visiting the park mid-week.  We went on a Wednesday.  It was 70 degrees and sunny that day, but it felt a lot warmer in the park.  There were 19,000 people in the park, which seemed busy but not crowded.  Lines were still 1 to 1.5 hours at the popular coasters, the line for food at 5:30 PM was about 20 minutes, but we didn't see big lines anywhere else.  Combined with the PFP, it was a good day for riding coasters.
UnclePennybags

Postby depotrat on April 16th, 2016, 12:48 am
We will not be waiting for front seats except on a couple. In some cases, even though the Platinum will allow a second ride we will pass and move on. I have studied the map and have a good idea of the park but there are always wrong turns in person, we will have to deal with that. We won't be shy getting the FP attendant to get us in after spending $230 for the devise. LOL

I meant to ask this before. The entry for Eagle isn't marked well on the map. How/where is the entrance?
depotrat

Next

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum