Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Ilovthevu' on July 3rd, 2017, 6:15 pm
^^I would think that Full Throttle has to be way more expensive than Superman or Tempesto. I remember V2 being $7.5 million. Superman and Tempesto are really small FOOTPRINT rides. Six Flags didn't even buy another Tempesto like ride after the Discovery Kingdom one. Did they?

I would think wikipedia is wrong with the Full Throttle price. How could Superman be $6 million, and Full Throttle is $6 million. No way. One is a shuttle, and one is not. The Superman is probably right, but probably not Full Throttle. Superman is 863 ft, and Full Throttle is 2200 ft long.

They did buy the Intamin drop towers for Kingda Ka, and the Superman at Magic Mountain, so they aren't totally not buying Intamin anything.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 3rd, 2017, 6:37 pm
doubleb wrote:
Goku1910 wrote:That was my point....SF has moved away from Intamin and has opted instead for very cheap designs that fit in similar footprints.

Actually, your comment seemed to be more about full circuits vs non circuits like V2.

No, it was about cheapness. He said that we're seeing less full circuit launch coasters because they're expensive. Look at the comment again:

I know everyone here knows how Six Flags looks at thing financially and they will always take the cheapest route. This is why we're seeing less and less full-circuit launched coasters being added to the chain. Full Throttle and Superman at SFDK were full circuit but nothing compared to something like Maverick.

Superman and Full Throttle were added because they were cheap($6M). Six Flags doesn't install Maverick-style launch coasters because they're expensive($20+M). He never once said anything about shuttles being more/less expensive, he only talked about the fact that most full-circuit launch coasters are expensive. You're simply assuming that he is saying such a thing.

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 3rd, 2017, 6:44 pm
I have a question for anyone. Let's say Great America announces a Skywarp in 2018. Just say, that it doesn't matter where it really goes. Would you get bored of a Skywarp -doing the same inversion 12 times in a row (6 times for each loop)? I think I would. I like Dive Loops a bunch, but to go that many times in a row, just seems so boring with no randomness.

That's why for something like an Intamin Space Shuttle (One at Busch Gardens Tampa for instance), it's not boring because it feels more random when you are going upside down. Will you make it a full rotation this time or not? Sure, that ride is more painful, but I'm talking about the randomness of the inversions. Is this the best flat ride they can bring to Great America - if it did come? Their is just so much better.. sigh

Other than wikipedia, who says that Full Throttle is $6 million? I want a source. It's probably $12-$15 million. For $6 million, that ride would already be at every Six Flags in the world. What a cheap deal. Batman the Ride is 2700 ft whereas Full Throttle is 2200 ft. Superman (SFDK) is only 863 ft.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Goku1910 on July 3rd, 2017, 6:54 pm
doubleb wrote:
Goku1910 wrote:That was my point....SF has moved away from Intamin and has opted instead for very cheap designs that fit in similar footprints.

I took your comment to be more about full circuits vs non circuits like V2. Intamin is going where the money is located, which is overseas and in particular China, SF went cheap and Intamin has done great business overseas. Intamin already has 5 coaster projects for 2018 overseas, 8 for 2017(some completed and some under construction) and they did 5 in 2016.

I didn't say anything about Intamin's business. Only their relationship with Six Flags which is pretty much nonexistent at this point. I do not care how they're doing overseas because it has nothing to do with what is being discussed here.

Guy with a Stick hit the nail on the head. At least he's following along here.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby Goku1910 on July 3rd, 2017, 7:01 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:I have a question for anyone. Let's say Great America announces a Skywarp in 2018. Just say, that it doesn't matter where it really goes. Would you get bored of a Skywarp -doing the same inversion 12 times in a row (6 times for each loop)? I think I would. I like Dive Loops a bunch, but to go that many times in a row, just seems so boring with no randomness.

I would hate the addition. We already have the Joker gimmick, we don't need another gimmick. :lol:

oooohhhhh a Fireball with TWO LOOPS. *DROOLS*
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 3rd, 2017, 7:23 pm
Will they buy Gerstlauer again though after the Texas Giant problem they had though? I like the Tony Hawk coaster, so I wouldn't mind that. That ride is totally different than Batman indoors.
Ilovthevu'

Postby Goku1910 on July 3rd, 2017, 7:24 pm
Full circuits are not more expensive in many cases especially not in the compact genre SF wants to buy coasters in.

So you're essentially saying that Impulse coasters like V2 are overpriced? At least you're implying it. Circuits that fall in the same price range would be very small like Premier's Skyrocket. That's not what I'm comparing, I'm talking about Intamin's mega coasters or things like Maverick, Cheetah Hunt, Xcelerator, Storm Runner, etc. If you desperately want a launched coaster, those are what you should dreaming of, not SFDK's Superman or V2.

SFDK's V2 is the most pitiful of all the Impulse.
Goku1910

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 3rd, 2017, 7:26 pm
^Cheetah Hunt is such a kiddie ride. I'm very unimpressed with Maverick. It's just kind of blah for me.
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on July 3rd, 2017, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ilovthevu'

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 3rd, 2017, 7:31 pm
^Intamin & B&Ms have the name, and thus they are very expensive compared to other manufacturers. It's as simple as that. Great America didn't have an S&S coaster before the Joker was added. How many Six Flags even had 1 S&S before this S&S buying started. The more popular your coaster company gets, the more money they are going to be charging for rides. Raptor was only about $11.5 million in my notes. Rcdb says Banshee was $24 million? B&Ms are so popular and expensive now.
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on July 3rd, 2017, 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ilovthevu'

Postby Goku1910 on July 3rd, 2017, 7:34 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:^Cheetah Hunt is such a kiddie ride.

Yeah, but it's a circuit that's not sub~1,000ft long. It's thrill factor wasn't part of the point.

doubleb wrote:Intamin doesn't need to sell to SF like they did before, They aren't concerned if their is no relationship b/c SF is no longer the deep pockets of the 90'sand 2000's. They have the deep pockets overseas to buy their stuff. SF should be concerned b/c a lot of the stuff they have bought lately will not hold up over time like some of the Intamin's and B&M stuff they bought in the past. Do you really think the cheap Free Fly's will hold up in popularity like the Intamin hypers and impulses or B&M inverts?

Where are you going with all these assumptions? It's starting to get on my nerves. I'm not against intamin and never said I was and I'm also not praising these free fly "Coasters". This is the sixth time I've said this: JOKER IS A GIMMICK.

Clearly the Impulse isn't holding up well though because it's ridership has dropped drastically since my time working at the park. I consider myself at least a decent observer in the park and can see how trends change year after year on an average crowd day. Last time I went to Cedar Point Wicked Twister was a walk on....A WALK ON.
Goku1910

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 3rd, 2017, 7:39 pm
^^Wicked Twister is not V2 though. At Cedar Point, they have Top Thrill. Top Thrill is definitely better than V2, but it's not like Great America is going to add Top Thrill to replace V2. Of course, they also have Maverick which I don't really care for, but that's a 3rd launched ride at Cedar Point - especially in that tunnel part (is like a Mr. Freeze ride).
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on July 3rd, 2017, 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ilovthevu'

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 3rd, 2017, 7:39 pm
^^That's the point...

Why exactly are we still arguing?

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Goku1910 on July 3rd, 2017, 7:42 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:^^Wicked Twister is not V2 though. At Cedar Point, they have Top Thrill. Top Thrill is definitely better than V2, but it's not like Great America is going to add Top Thrill to replace V2. Of course, they also have Maverick which I don't really care for, but that's a 3rd launched ride at Cedar Point - especially in that tunnel part (is like a Mr. Freeze ride).

My point is that it was similar to V2 and it's not popular in a high traffic top-end park. Which is exactly what started this dumb argument. Trends change and the time in the limelight for Impulse coasters is over. Bigger and better (and more reliable) things have come to take their place.

V2 wouldn't be an easy replacement for Great America because it's a difficult space to work with without removing the flumes with it. Just because V2 is on my list for possible removal doesn't mean I would want it gone right this second. Demon is still #1 on my list of crap that needs to kick the bucket already.
Goku1910

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 3rd, 2017, 7:49 pm
^So, you think that Tempesto, or a Skywarp are better additions than V2? What is really going to fit there since they aren't going to take out 2 flumes also in 1 year? They will call Skywarp a coaster, and put it on that concrete slab. There's your new coaster Great America.
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on July 3rd, 2017, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ilovthevu'

Postby Goku1910 on July 3rd, 2017, 7:55 pm
If anything you're further proving my point. If the rides at SFGAm aren't as good wouldn't that make V2 more popular at our park in comparison? The impulse is performing badly at both parks despite them being top-end as you called them. If our lineup isn't as good, V2 should be above the median in popularity because there's less competition.

Nobody really knows b/c SF never releases them.

And Cedar Point does? Cite your source if you're going to use it in an argument.
Goku1910

Postby Goku1910 on July 3rd, 2017, 8:02 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:^So, you think that Tempesto, or a Skywarp are better additions than V2? What is really going to fit there since they aren't going to take out 2 flumes also in 1 year? They will call Skywarp a coaster, and put it on that concrete slab. There's your new coaster Great America.

That is why I said It's a difficult replacement. Nowhere in my statement did I say I wanted a Skywarp and I've already mocked a skywarp as being a gimmick like joker. So where exactly are you going with this?
Goku1910

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 3rd, 2017, 8:06 pm
Let's just end the 'argument' here. V2 is past its prime. The park can remove it if they wanted to, but don't expect anything amazing as a replacement.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 3rd, 2017, 8:09 pm
^^The Giant Discovery does not need to be in that area. It could be themed to anything, and put anywhere - especially the Trailblazer spot that has been vacant for years. They could even put a ride next to Chubasco because it's just a wasted space.

90% of the park is past it's prime than. You can get a walk-on, on anything certain days. For me, Superman is about the only ride that is super hard to get a walk-on.
Ilovthevu'

Postby Goku1910 on July 3rd, 2017, 8:18 pm
Do you realize the side of a giant discovery?

Superman is about the only ride that is super hard to get a walk-on

it was surprisingly dead on Saturday, the 1st when I went.
Goku1910

Postby Goku1910 on July 3rd, 2017, 8:27 pm
If Wicked Twister was 1,000/hr it would have easily beat 1M riders on any given year, but it didn't according to your source. To make matters worse it only has the rider numbers from a few years ago. Who knows what they are now.

V2 was still very popular between the early 2000's when it opened and 2015-2016. I started to notice the decline in 2016 to now.
Goku1910

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 3rd, 2017, 8:28 pm
^^You destroy the whole building around Trailblazer (NOT the arcade though), and than even in back of it, you have some space. You move the Cold Stone Cremery somewhere else.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Six+F ... 87.9360473

The building I feel wasn't a good design because it hid the Trailblazer ride in it. People want to see what they are getting into.

If a Giant Discovery wouldn't fit, than you just buy a Chance Revolution, and put it in that spot instead. Even next to Trailblazer is really nothing. You put the lines there.
Ilovthevu'

Postby Goku1910 on July 3rd, 2017, 8:42 pm
Intamin's site is a bit inconsistent saying Steel Venom gets 950 and the spec sheet states 1,200 so who knows (and who cares) what the numbers say. Go by what you see. observe.
Goku1910

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 3rd, 2017, 8:51 pm
^How do you think they are going to fit the East River Crawler into Orbit's spot? You have 2 streams of water right next to that ride, so I think it's hard to push the middle black part too much back.
Ilovthevu'

Postby Goku1910 on July 3rd, 2017, 9:01 pm
I looked at the area Saturday. Looks like a tight fit but I can't make a final judgment until the arms are on to get some perspective.
Goku1910

Postby RollingCoasting on July 3rd, 2017, 9:32 pm
Alright, the last 4 pages of the thread are a complete waste of bandwidth. Everytime I upon I open this thread I except to see a "minor update or rumor", not a senseless argument about why V2 will or will not be removed. Where are the moderators when you need them, right? :roll:

Anyways, back on topic

Edit: spelling error
Last edited by RollingCoasting on July 4th, 2017, 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
RollingCoasting

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum