Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby staticshadows on June 23rd, 2017, 10:19 pm
Edit: Removed from forum.
Last edited by staticshadows on July 8th, 2017, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staticshadows

Postby FParker185 on June 24th, 2017, 2:45 am
Lobster is def a Monster 3, Michael Patenberg no longer cares to update his site and hasn't in about 15 years.

The orbit pad is surrounded by empty space, making it lager would literally take one week. If I had to bet money I'd say the park screwed up the ride in one of the previous "rehabs", ride has run terribly since about 2 "rehabs" ago
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby Whizzer Whiz Kid on June 24th, 2017, 9:07 am
Thanks for the input about it being a Monster III. I thought that's what it is.

Yes, but what are the chances that Six Flags drops the money to back up the fence, move Orbit's side control booth, pour more concrete, and have this all done while the park is open. From the park's point of view, this would be wasted money as it will not bring in more gate and they don't have to pay people to do the changes and then eventually operate the ride. If all this is true, I am still thinking this has to be a 2018 addition.
Favorite @ SFGAm - Eagle ~ Favorite Steel - Skyrush ~ Favorite Wood - El Toro
35 Rides on Eagle in 2015
68 Rides on Eagle in 2016
102 Rides on Eagle in 2017
9 Rides on Eagle in 2018
Whizzer Whiz Kid

Postby cliffhanger on June 24th, 2017, 9:37 am
Awesome detective work wizzerwhizkid! I can't believe they could screw up this badly. They were so blinded by installing thier new big ticket coaster, they essentially ruined two classic rides. At this point, im doubting if the lobster will ever come back. They aren't going to dig up and pour a new pad just for this ride. The whole point of moving it to Orbits spot to begin with was to save money on building a new station. If they really wanted to, and probably should have, they could have moved ERC to the sky trail spot and kept orbit. At this point, they are going to have to do the same work as if they had built a whole new area for ERC. I'm still hung up on why they even removed the Orbit. From what I saw, it was running fine and people always enjoyed it. It was unique and a great addition to the skyline. Is there a ERC fanbaae I'm not aware of?
cliffhanger

Postby Whizzer Whiz Kid on June 24th, 2017, 10:09 am
I would rather have Orbit. Ever since the refurb when it was down an entire season and was replaced by Buzzy Bees, it has been awful. The cars no longer spin and it is not nearly as enjoyable as it one was.
9 Rides on Eagle in 2018
Whizzer Whiz Kid

Postby Ilovthevu' on June 24th, 2017, 10:29 am
If you compare the Orbit, and the East River Crawler, I do agree that the Orbit ran more than the East River Crawler more recently. The East River Crawler was becoming a mess. Yes, the Orbit was done for maybe 1/2 a year, but the East River Crawler was worse. The loading time on the East River Crawler was horrendous with 1 employee (ever since they added the seat belts) compared to the loading time on the Orbit (Line kept moving).

What bugs me is that they closed Orbit in EARLY August. They didn't even let anyone know. They SNUCK it out of the park. They shut it down so EARLY just so they can save money on the stupid virtual reality employees - to move them to the other ride.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Coaster Justin on June 25th, 2017, 10:31 am
Whizzer Whiz Kid wrote:I would rather have Orbit. Ever since the refurb when it was down an entire season and was replaced by Buzzy Bees, it has been awful. The cars no longer spin and it is not nearly as enjoyable as it one was.

As much as I'm preserving Marriott era rides, I wish the park had scrapped ERC and bought the Polyp from Kiddieland. That thing was 100x more intense.
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby gottastrata33 on June 25th, 2017, 11:26 am
There's a lot of things SF could have purchased from Kiddieland. The cars, the sign, the tilt a whirl...all woulda looked hella cute next to Little Dipper for a kiddie land section in the park over those horrid go karts!
gottastrata33

Postby FParker185 on June 25th, 2017, 10:56 pm
East River Crawler/Lobster would be much better if they decided to run it at more than 1/2 speed. All the traveling ones in Europe are far superior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uAoRhb5bDc

then one in the Netherlands that a few years back got new cars made in house, got to ride it last time I was there.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wP6az8vT-I
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby CoasterRiderSC on June 27th, 2017, 12:09 pm
^^^ Great presentation of data, Whiz! If I had to choose one, I would say they should have kept Orbit since it's a classic (albeit old) ride. The Lobster is fun but how different is it from Triple Play :?
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby momlovescoasters on June 28th, 2017, 11:53 am
I agree with the entry process. It's aweful and such a bad way to start the day. Not only are the barriers pointless, they have metal "feet" at the bottom that are very easy to trip on. I saw many people trip and one little boy actually fell and scraped his knee and chin. Why have them and then NOTHING once you get passed that area? It's total chaos with people cutting in front of you and moving to different "lines". Actually, not lines just clusters of people. May was really bad as so many people in line don't have the proper paperwork and have no clue what is going on. They sit and argue with the employees making minimum wage and hold up the line instead of just going to customer service or doing their homework prior.

I don't think having a seperate gold line is the answer. They had it last year and that line was just as long as regular entry. Has anyone tried the Goodwill line that was mentioned earlier in the season?

There are many things they could do to speed up the process, it's not rocket science. Unfortunately they don't care. They are still getting there money either way.
momlovescoasters

Postby Ilovthevu' on June 28th, 2017, 12:45 pm
^^^Oh, so now you agree with me about the terrible entrance of not letting people in early enough as they used to be. Your argument before was were are you going to go. The rides don't open till 10:30am. Why do baseball stadiums open up for 2 hours before? Where do you go in a baseball stadium for 2 hours. The games don't start till 1:20 pm, 3 pm, or 7 pm. Let everyone be late to watch the game. 0 people in the stands sounds good.

Six Flags should take advantage of the opportunity of them opening the gates at 9:45 am, and them having multiple games OPEN in the front entrance area. They do have shops that should be open also. Make MONEY off of people. It's such a terrible idea. I know.. The point is though that the front entrance has become a hassle, and to alleviate the hassle, they need to open that gates early. It should not be a hassle to come into the park. I really don't know though what time they opened the gates last time because I was later, so they could have opened them up earlier at 10 am or not. I don't know.

I actually like the gates at the front of the park in which you go back and forth. It's better than the standard lines in which you have no clue in which line you are going in, and than randomly 2 lines merge into 1. I think they need more of them with the ticket / season pass takers.

The Batman flash pass was bad the other day. They weren't sending enough people up. He was like a flash pass asian guy that wasn't sending enough people up. He was so busy with flash pass people, and the trains were being sent really fast. The line almost became backed up to the front of the entrance (for NO REASON) because the guy wasn't sending enough people up the line. I go in the station, and it's all EMPTY! It's a mistake, but than the Batman people on top should be calling him to send a LOT of people into the station (At least 90 people - 58 for the station including line up to the station / 32 for 1 train to fill up all the rows for the next train because the rows were empty).

Really, they should install a tv monitor for the flash pass person to look at the 2nd set of stairs camera, but they won't because they don't fix much unless it makes them money.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Ilovthevu' on June 28th, 2017, 1:18 pm
^They have been doing it for years letting people in early, but not letting them ride rides. It has been more recently that they started this policy where they don't open up the gates early, and leave a mess at the front of the park. I too have went to another Six Flags park recently, and it wasn't a mess at all like SFGAm's entrance policy. You can get in earlier, and they make you wait towards the front of the park. It was GREAT!! SFGAm has no idea what they are doing, and they are only going to make people mad, and stop coming to the park. They treat the front entrance policy like the park is some amusement park in which hardly anyone goes to like Six Flags America.

The park is in the top 3 Six Flags attended parks (According to the TEA, it even says it gets more people than Six Flags Mexico right now. I think Mexico gets a lot of people because of less competition.), and it's NOT even open year round like Magic Mountain, Over Texas, Over Georgia is open for Christmas, or now Great Adventure is open for Christmas. It would not even shock me if Great America even makes the most money out of Six Flags because it's more of a family park, and families spend.
Ilovthevu'

Postby BCarroll on June 28th, 2017, 2:12 pm
This is the "Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings" thread, NOT the "Rash Complaining by doubleb/schoup" thread. Stop complaining or move it to a different thread please, doubleb!
Been to may theme parks, in many countries. However, SFGAm is my home park and I love it!
BCarroll

Postby staticshadows on June 28th, 2017, 2:16 pm
Last edited by staticshadows on July 8th, 2017, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staticshadows

Postby RollingCoasting on June 28th, 2017, 2:21 pm
BCarroll wrote:This is the "Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings" thread, NOT the "Rash Complaining by doubleb/schoup" thread. Stop complaining or move it to a different thread please, doubleb!

Truth! :lol:
RollingCoasting

Postby Whizzer Whiz Kid on June 28th, 2017, 4:30 pm
staticshadows wrote:The book is now delayed until 2018 because the publisher thinks it will sell better in 2018.

Wow! That's pretty disappointing as I pre-ordered it like way back in March. I feel bad for Steven, but come on Acadia, let's get the book out already!
9 Rides on Eagle in 2018
Whizzer Whiz Kid

Postby Goku1910 on June 28th, 2017, 6:45 pm
doubleb wrote:
Ilovthevu' wrote:^They have been doing it for years letting people in early, but not letting them ride rides. It has been more recently that they started this policy where they don't open up the gates early, and leave a mess at the front of the park. I too have went to another Six Flags park recently, and it wasn't a mess at all like SFGAm's entrance policy. You can get in earlier, and they make you wait towards the front of the park. It was GREAT!! SFGAm has no idea what they are doing, and they are only going to make people mad, and stop coming to the park. They treat the front entrance policy like the park is some amusement park in which hardly anyone goes to like Six Flags America.

The park is in the top 3 Six Flags attended parks (According to the TEA, it even says it gets more people than Six Flags Mexico right now. I think Mexico gets a lot of people because of less competition.), and it's NOT even open year round like Magic Mountain, Over Texas, Over Georgia is open for Christmas, or now Great Adventure is open for Christmas. It would not even shock me if Great America even makes the most money out of Six Flags because it's more of a family park, and families spend.

Only Gold Pass should get in early. This is marketing 101 of adding value drives sales of the upsell product. The only real substantial benefit of regular pass to gold pass at SF is free parking, either pass gets you into all SF parks, that's poor marketing in my opinion. Also, the fact the price points are essentially the same makes little sense. How many more Gold passes would people buy if they got 30 minute early entry with a handful of rides running early? Would many people even care or notice if they made it so you needed Gold to get into other SF parks? The fact is SF products are poorly tiered in benefits and value.

I think you need to visit the rant and complaints thread. But to answer your question, the gold pass seems to hold less value because they are so freakin' cheap that everyone has them. There's nothing "exclusive" about it. :roll:
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby RollingCoasting on June 29th, 2017, 12:34 am
RollingCoasting

Postby SFGAM_Hog on June 29th, 2017, 9:28 am
According to JiggidyNDG, there are tree markings by Whizzer and Pictorium...
SFGAM_Hog

Postby Viper 88 on June 29th, 2017, 9:39 am
uh oh i hope its not waterpark bull$#!t
Viper 88

Postby staticshadows on June 29th, 2017, 9:41 am
Last edited by staticshadows on July 8th, 2017, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staticshadows

Postby Goku1910 on June 29th, 2017, 9:15 pm
eh, guess it's not something to get hyped over after all. Just more tree removal. :roll:
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby Ilovthevu' on June 29th, 2017, 9:29 pm
Do you seriously think that it is worth keeping anymore? This is whether or not you have tree removal or not. The Pictorium last year was shut down very early season with no plan of new Six Flags movies in there. They just were running the old volumes. They have not opened it up this year except someone said for Susan Rosen randomly on July 4th ??? I don't get that. It's a HUGE space, and it's become a wasted space. Why couldn't Susan & Love at First Fright be in the same theater (Grand Music Hall) during Fright Fest at different times?

The question is why where they even looking at trees near that area NOW? Shouldn't they have done that April or May?

Sadly, Vertical Velocity has red paint on the track on row 11 (near the wheels). :cry:
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on June 29th, 2017, 9:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ilovthevu'

Postby Goku1910 on June 29th, 2017, 9:45 pm
What does Mr freeze have to do with V2? I don't get why everyone complains over the loss of V2, Do you want just one launched coaster in our park just for the sake of having a launched coaster? Or do you legitimately enjoy it?

I honestly don't care for it either way.Another thing I hear all the time is that the park needs a launch coaster in the lineup. We don't need any particular type of ride, if it's fun who cares.
Goku1910

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum