Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby JT2002 on November 9th, 2018, 11:35 am
DejaVu2001 wrote:As the freezing temperatures hit this weekend, expect all Coca-Cola kiosks and other exposed food locations to be closed for the season as they were for the last 2 weeks of last season.

Yep, snow came pretty early this year.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby Muck Finnesota on November 10th, 2018, 3:49 pm
Thanks for that info. Saved me a trip.
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

Postby Sven18 on November 25th, 2018, 1:41 pm
SFGAM Black friday/Cyber Sale is offering free lifetime upgrade to Platinum Membership of a Gold Plus Membership($7.15/mth). The Labor Day flash sale is no longer guaranteed to be the best deal/price on all products. Think there might be some unhappy campers seeing this deal after buying early. The free upgrade to Gold Pass is also offered, but the price is $75 when it as $68 for the Labor Day Flash sale.

Also, SFGAm it's written "LOCK IN 2018 Prices Before our annual increase." On some other parks sites it says, " LOCK IN 2018 Prices Before our big increase." It will be interesting to see if this is real or the SF Corporate bluff pretending anyone actually pays the full price whic they they cite to claim huge %'s off.
Sven18

Postby JT2002 on December 1st, 2018, 7:38 pm
http://www.screamscape.com/html/industry_news.htm#SixFlags If y'all haven't heard already, screamscape said that there have been some new ride surveys going around from Six Flags. They've talked about a Mack Power Splash (flume+launch coaster) and dive coasters at a few parks (including SFGam).
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby JackGlass on December 2nd, 2018, 7:26 am
JT2002 wrote:http://www.screamscape.com/html/industry_news.htm#SixFlags If y'all haven't heard already, screamscape said that there have been some new ride surveys going around from Six Flags. They've talked about a Mack Power Splash (flume+launch coaster) and dive coasters at a few parks (including SFGam).

I'd love to see a Dive Machine come to Great America. Tear down one (or both) of the flumes and put it over there!
JackGlass

Postby coasterlove on December 2nd, 2018, 11:45 am
I received the survey and it briefly mentioned a lot of options as to what I'd like to see added. The main focus though was strongly on a single rail coaster, the Raptor although it didn't call it that directly. It did feature video of the Wonder Woman coaster from SFFT. It does appear to be that would be what they *might* be leaning towards. While I think it is probably a terrific ride, I'd worry about the capacity. Offhand, I think they have 8 cars, meaning 8 riders per train? I'd guess they could send out trains not much quicker than one per minute, maybe 45 seconds due to not having any MCBR I don't believe. So 60-80 trains an hour. Theoretical capacity would be 480-640 passengers per hour? Personally, I'd rather see a T-Rex coaster from RMC if that was at all possible.
coasterlove

Postby JackGlass on December 2nd, 2018, 12:21 pm
I would be more than happy if they removed Buccaneer Battle and installed a Raptor. Capacity might suck, but the GP seems to love Rail Blazer and Wonder Woman and the bad capacity is an opportunity for them to sell more flash passes.

I would obviously prefer a larger hyper raptor over the carbon copy model. But I don't know if one could fit in that area even if they stretched it all the way to the basket ball gam in Home Town Square.
JackGlass

Postby coasterlove on December 2nd, 2018, 12:39 pm
If they used the area between the edge of Buccaneer Battle and the basketball court, it's about 450-475 feet in length according to Google Maps. Of course it would depend on the exact direction it traveled. A hyper might be possible with how twisted it can be. A steep angle on the lift followed by a vertical or perhaps even beyond vertical drop heading into an immelman to send it back the other way. Raging Bull for comparison is about 900 feet from where it turns around out of the station, lift hill drop and turnaround. Consider though that the lift isn't anywhere near as steep as a Raptor would be nor the drop and Raging Bull heads into a large turnaround. So in a space of of up 475 feet, it could be possible but tight?

Edit- Or the the drop could just twist 180 degrees to send it back the other way keeping in within that space.
coasterlove

Postby JackGlass on December 2nd, 2018, 4:05 pm
coasterlove wrote:If they used the area between the edge of Buccaneer Battle and the basketball court, it's about 450-475 feet in length according to Google Maps. Of course it would depend on the exact direction it traveled. A hyper might be possible with how twisted it can be. A steep angle on the lift followed by a vertical or perhaps even beyond vertical drop heading into an immelman to send it back the other way. Raging Bull for comparison is about 900 feet from where it turns around out of the station, lift hill drop and turnaround. Consider though that the lift isn't anywhere near as steep as a Raptor would be nor the drop and Raging Bull heads into a large turnaround. So in a space of of up 475 feet, it could be possible but tight?

Edit- Or the the drop could just twist 180 degrees to send it back the other way keeping in within that space.

Here's the foot print for the standard Raptor. It only requires 250 feet, so hypothetically they might be able to get a 200 footer in that space if they make the lift hill very steep. I also noticed on the updated Google Maps that they totally hollowed out the Trail blazer site. I'm almost willign to bet money that they will put a Skywarp there, because it perfectly fits the dimensions of 120X30 feet required for one!
Attachments
2a603s6.png
JackGlass

Postby UnclePennybags on December 2nd, 2018, 9:32 pm
coasterlove wrote:If they used the area between the edge of Buccaneer Battle and the basketball court, it's about 450-475 feet in length according to Google Maps.

I'd think a clone of Wonder Woman Golden Lasso (WWGL) *would* fit in the Buccaneer Battle (BB) plat. Here's what it looks like now:

Here's what it looks like overlaying WWGL (to scale):

The green box is the station. The transfer tracks are to the right of the station. The red line is the approximate exit ramp/bridge layout at Six Flags Fiesta Texas. The yellow line is the approximate entrance ramp/bridge to the station. The whole coaster layout is bounded by a pool of water.

In Texas, the overflow queue would be found in the lower right-hand corner of the layout. The ride queue wraps around the bottom to the left, then up towards the exit. However, at Great America, the exit could be up by Demon Snacks, while the entrance could be located closer to the Food Court.

The most interesting thing I found was that the Buccaneer Battle pool is only marginally smaller than the WWGL pool seen in Texas. The two overlap nicely.

Assuming that the BB and Go Kart plats would never be consolidated for use by a larger coaster, a Raptor seems like a nice fit at the BB location. I don't see how many other coaster layouts would fit here (maybe they could do Deja Vu all over again).
UnclePennybags

Postby JackGlass on December 3rd, 2018, 9:04 am
Great work UnclePennyBags! That would definitely be a great and cost effective replacement for Buccaneer Battle, without having to relocate the Home Town Park rides again! That would be a welcome addition for 2020 as far as I'm concerned and would finally bring some life back to that dead area.
JackGlass

Postby staticshadows on December 3rd, 2018, 2:35 pm
Not sure what scale you guys are using, but this is what Railblazer looks like on the site at the correct scale. The final product has a larger footprint than what was shown in the promotional material. The Raptor will still fit, the transfer track just needs to be moved to the other side of the gravel area behind the food court building.
staticshadows

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on December 4th, 2018, 8:26 am
^ That looks great! Even though the capacity will be horrible these attractions are kick-butt rides.
How come Lightning Rod is never open when I go.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby UnclePennybags on December 4th, 2018, 10:41 pm
JackGlass wrote:Great work UnclePennyBags! That would definitely be a great and cost effective replacement for Buccaneer Battle, without having to relocate the Home Town Park rides again! That would be a welcome addition for 2020 as far as I'm concerned and would finally bring some life back to that dead area.

We should probably watch what we wish for. We could get four Mardi Gras Hangovers to replace Buccaneer Battle:

UnclePennybags

Postby JackGlass on December 5th, 2018, 6:08 pm
4 new "Coasters" in one year! lol :lol:
JackGlass

Postby gottastrata33 on December 5th, 2018, 7:35 pm
I’ve always wanted a hyper B&M dive machine here but this is prob a better fit for us & the ride looks to kick ass. Only thing I’d hope for is an altered custom layout. After Goliath, XF, & Maxx it isn’t impossible. Our park has really become incredible the last decade. That was random, I’m just happy about it haha
gottastrata33

Postby JackGlass on December 6th, 2018, 5:17 am
gottastrata33 wrote:I’ve always wanted a hyper B&M dive machine here but this is prob a better fit for us & the ride looks to kick ass. Only thing I’d hope for is an altered custom layout. After Goliath, XF, & Maxx it isn’t impossible. Our park has really become incredible the last decade. That was random, I’m just happy about it haha

No doubt about it! Attendance was over 3 million in 2017 for the first time since 1999/2000 so this strategy of saturating the park with roller coasters is clearly working! As long as Anderson is CEO I don't see this trend stopping anytime soon.
JackGlass

Postby CoasterRiderSC on December 6th, 2018, 6:03 pm
JackGlass wrote:
JT2002 wrote:http://www.screamscape.com/html/industry_news.htm#SixFlags If y'all haven't heard already, screamscape said that there have been some new ride surveys going around from Six Flags. They've talked about a Mack Power Splash (flume+launch coaster) and dive coasters at a few parks (including SFGam).

I'd love to see a Dive Machine come to Great America. Tear down one (or both) of the flumes and put it over there!

I would love a dive coaster as well!!!! They could take down ONE of the flumes (along with V2) !
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby gottastrata33 on December 7th, 2018, 4:48 am
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
JackGlass wrote:

I would love a dive coaster as well!!!! They could take down ONE of the flumes (along with V2) !

I know it will happen at some point again but I’m always hopeful for nothing having to leave. Maxx Force bein squeezed in & around everything made me so happy. Hell, still does! & yes I understand Pictorium had to leave but the reality was it was “SBNO” for more than the majority of a season.
gottastrata33

Postby ChicagoCoasters on December 7th, 2018, 3:54 pm
I rode Valravn in August and I wasn't impressed. It was fun don't get me wrong but it was forceless. It was a GP magnet though. I would much rather see a Raptor or even even a Wonder Woman clone then a dive coaster.
1.) Steel Vengeance 2.) Maverick 3.) Goliath (SFGAM) 4.) Top Thrill Dragster 5.) Mystic Timbers
Ragin Cajun and Iron Wolf went from Six Flags Great America to Six Flags America. I guess they weren't GREAT anymore.
ChicagoCoasters

Postby JackGlass on December 7th, 2018, 5:19 pm
ChicagoCoasters wrote:I rode Valravn in August and I wasn't impressed. It was fun don't get me wrong but it was forceless. It was a GP magnet though. I would much rather see a Raptor or even even a Wonder Woman clone then a dive coaster.

No doubt about it, the GP would flock to a Dive Machine..... I could hear them now "It's like Raging Bull only it loops and goes straight down" I could definitly see Great America adding both a Dive Machine and a Raptor in the near future. In fact, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we got a Raptor in 2020.
JackGlass

Postby ChicagoCoasters on December 8th, 2018, 12:54 am
JackGlass wrote:
ChicagoCoasters wrote:I rode Valravn in August and I wasn't impressed. It was fun don't get me wrong but it was forceless. It was a GP magnet though. I would much rather see a Raptor or even even a Wonder Woman clone then a dive coaster.

No doubt about it, the GP would flock to a Dive Machine..... I could hear them now "It's like Raging Bull only it loops and goes straight down" I could definitly see Great America adding both a Dive Machine and a Raptor in the near future. In fact, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we got a Raptor in 2020.

That is so true. :lol:
1.) Steel Vengeance 2.) Maverick 3.) Goliath (SFGAM) 4.) Top Thrill Dragster 5.) Mystic Timbers
Ragin Cajun and Iron Wolf went from Six Flags Great America to Six Flags America. I guess they weren't GREAT anymore.
ChicagoCoasters

Postby anewman35 on December 9th, 2018, 9:56 pm
Last night, the Washington Street entrance was closed, just a sign saying to go to Grand Avenue. Never seen that before, is it common?
anewman35

Postby ernstwhere on December 10th, 2018, 9:28 pm
anewman35 wrote:Last night, the Washington Street entrance was closed, just a sign saying to go to Grand Avenue. Never seen that before, is it common?

Thanks for mentioning. I use this entrance all the time. Maybe because Maxx Force is being staged in this section of the parking lot... last I heard?
ernstwhere

Postby ernstwhere on December 10th, 2018, 9:30 pm
I got the survey and it focused on the water launch coaster.
ernstwhere

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum