Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Ilovthevu' on June 25th, 2019, 11:01 pm
They claimed this is a better ride than the Joker. I don't know if I agree:
https://www.accuweather.com/en/videos/8twgz9ov

lol lol If this doesn't make you laugh or smile, I don't know what will.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby CoasterRiderSC on June 26th, 2019, 9:18 am
^ really cute!! :)
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Ilovthevu' on June 27th, 2019, 2:23 pm
I found Yogi Bear. This is that statue I'm talking about: (I don't know who that person is, but I'm just saying about the statue)
https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2811/13 ... 2fc2_b.jpg

When you ride The Dark Knight Coaster, they are storing this statue, and it's towards the end of the ride; you can see it on the ground.

And they put back the sign (the orange letters) in the County Fair area for the train ride. I seen it put back maybe a week or 2 ago.

Revolution has a LOT of lights out. By a lot, I mean a LOT of lights out. Are they keeping this ride, or is this the last year; or are they just waiting for them to replace all of the bulbs to LED bulbs instead. https://www.ledtronics.com/Products/Pro ... px?WP=1798

It's funny to me what they do with the lights on rides like Condor, and Revolution. They will have so many lights that are on in a row, and than they will have 2 that are off. It's like in a pattern. Revolution though (right now) has an unacceptable amount of lights off compared to Condor. Condor has maybe 2 lights off for each arm, but Revolution is like lights are off everywhere. The Balloons in comparison has no lights out except for a whole balloon which probably has to do with the wiring. The Balloon lighting is UGLY anyway! Yuck. Boring. If the balloons are purple, yellow, and green; why do they have white bulbs on it? They should have purple, yellow, and green bulbs (Each balloon have a different color).
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby CoasterRiderSC on June 27th, 2019, 3:10 pm
^ Sounds like the classic rock song "Lights Out" by UFO!!

CoasterRiderSC

Postby cliffhanger on June 27th, 2019, 3:28 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:...they just waiting for them to replace all of the bulbs to LED bulbs instead.

I love that they are upgrading the lights to LED. It makes everything so much more vibrant. Triple play looks great at night. Its my favorite lighting package of all the flats. Does Condor have LEDs yet? I dont remember if it did last year.
cliffhanger

Postby Ilovthevu' on June 27th, 2019, 3:41 pm
^No, Condor doesn't have LED. Whirligig has led though. Whirligig and Triple Play have a different type of bulb (a smaller bulb). I am not a fan of the LED light strips however due to the fact that it has to literally be pitch black to even seen them. Yes, eventually when it is pitch black, they look good; but they are such a dull LED that it takes forever to see them.

I would probably say that Triple Play has always been the best lighting in the park for me. This is even when it didn't have led bulbs. It reminds of the Kiddieland ride call the Polyp / Octopus where it was so simple (going from green to yellow lights). In my opinion, Condor, has too many colors on each arm. To me, it would look better if it had 2 colors on each arm (Either Red & Green or Blue and White), and the tower lights are kind of a mess right now, and have been for awhile. I just notice them from afar instead. lol

Lights of Polyp (This video does NOT do it justice. Remember, this was the END of this ride at Kidideland because the park shutdown shortly after. One arm doesn't spin. One arm's lights are out near the cars. Towards the end, you also had some lights not even alternating from green to yellow.)
https://youtu.be/dUpZRWi2cJk?t=45

(Back to discussing about Triple Play's LED strips) So, it's 8pm at night during the summer, and you can't even tell if those things are on whereas you could easily tell if Revolution, Triple Plays (smaller LEDs), or Condors lights are on. These strips are on Hometown Fun Machine, and Triple Play. They used to be on the Orbit also. Those smaller bulbs are better, but I think that the big led bulbs like the ones I showed that link too, do look even better.

For the Hangover FIREball / Ring of FIRE lights which I'm sure people are going to say they love them, I'm not a fan of that type of LED lights. The reason is because I think every ride should have a different light theming to it. However; for instance at carnivals, they are just trying to use that same lighting on everything. It's on the mini Skyscreamer, the Ferris Wheel, Ring of Fire, etc. That to me is very boring, seeing that same lighting on every ride.
Ilovthevu'

Postby FParker185 on June 27th, 2019, 8:24 pm
Kiddielands Polyp currently operates at Lake Winnepesaukah as Sea Warrior. When I rode it I seem to remember the lights have been stripped off.

Also closing weekend of Kiddieland all 5 arms were operating normally
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby cliffhanger on June 27th, 2019, 8:43 pm
It probably won't happen, but LEDs in the Demon tunnel would be sweet. Go back to arranging them in a sprial and add some random twinklers here and there.
cliffhanger

Postby JT2002 on July 4th, 2019, 5:49 pm
Heads up, Logger's Run will be down for around 2 weeks, maybe sooner, maybe later.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby ledgeland on July 11th, 2019, 9:39 pm
JT2002 wrote:Heads up, Logger's Run will be down for around 2 weeks, maybe sooner, maybe later.

Both flumes were open today. First time all season I've seen them both open on the same day, I think.
ledgeland

Postby coasterfanatic on July 12th, 2019, 9:57 pm
Well. The Fairground Junction Station by Goliath is getting ready for Holiday in the Park. That basically means no train this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coasterfanatic

Postby anewman35 on July 13th, 2019, 9:05 am
coasterfanatic wrote:Well. The Fairground Junction Station by Goliath is getting ready for Holiday in the Park. That basically means no train this year.

We knew that weeks ago. They never put it back together after Maxx Force...
anewman35

Postby JT2002 on July 13th, 2019, 2:30 pm
Fyi, I just heard all the cash registers in the park went down (at shops and for food I think)
JT2002

Postby coasterfanatic on July 14th, 2019, 11:38 pm
I just a survey form the advisory panel that asked my thoughts about Six Flags adding an “adventure center” like a Dave and Busters and stuff. Then it went into some scenarios asking me which I would choose. Here’s an example: Image

coasterfanatic

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 15th, 2019, 12:39 pm
What was interesting last time I was at the park, maintenance people were looking at the "conveyor belt" that lifts up the Roaring Rapids rafts to the station. They were even measuring the size of the "beams" with measuring tape. One of them has a red mark on it that probably needs to be replaced, unless it's all of it needs to be replaced.
Ilovthevu'

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 15th, 2019, 1:07 pm
Just thought you like to know, the Larson Ring of FIRE was SMOKING at Six Flags Over Texas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzKDmBJSgjQ

I mention it because it relates to our Larson Ring of FIRE / FIREball ride. Same model.
Ilovthevu'

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 15th, 2019, 4:33 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:Just thought you like to know, the Larson Ring of FIRE was SMOKING at Six Flags Over Texas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzKDmBJSgjQ

I mention it because it relates to our Larson Ring of FIRE / FIREball ride. Same model.

Well, it IS a Ring of Fire, after all!! LOL

CoasterRiderSC

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 16th, 2019, 5:48 pm
Viper is been down today and there are workers on the track doing work to it.

B&MGuy35

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 16th, 2019, 11:50 pm
Video on facebook group of a fight yesterday in the food court across from X-Flight. I guess they can't wait for Fight Fest to start. "Tina Percell" posted it. From someone else, a non-video; they said their was another small fight in Hurricane Harbor, and THEY said the lifeguards could careless.
Ilovthevu'

Postby coasterlove on July 17th, 2019, 1:55 am
Well, you figure the lifeguards have to stay focused and concentrate on the guests in the pool/water. If they lose focus and something happens like someone drowning, that's terrible. I just wish the park would have more security, actuall security or a police presence. The fighting just really makes other people just looking to have a good time not want to go. If I wasn't a coaster fanatic, I probably wouldn't go if I saw fighting there happening. It's a reason I don't go to some places if I don't have to or it's not something I really want to do.

There's a place called Go Bananas in Norridge, Il a suburb that borders Chicago on the northwest side. Go Bananas is a child's play center similar to a Chucky Cheese's and they have had numerous major fights break out there in front of many small children.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7zLplKc4g8

Here's another video from the local news talking about it and with some additional footage. They're adding off duty police (for now) for security. This is also the place where a child was killed by climbing out of the coaster there and was struck by it. I'm surprised they hadn't already lost their license.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-i5hvB0sxc

If I had kids, not a chance in hell that I would bring my family there. I'd hate to see SFGAm or really any amusement park get to be that way.
coasterlove

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 17th, 2019, 9:13 am
^ I totally agree with you ! I have small kids and I'm always wary of people starting fights at our park. It's almost always over something really stupid. I also wish they would enforce the dress code.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby hook13 on July 17th, 2019, 9:47 am
I can confirm the fight at magic waters Sunday, it was pretty intense, and there was minimal response, I think the participants eventually just walked away, staff didn't respond (other than watching it, one saying he'd post it on the web). After around 2-3pm MW started to feel a bit unsafe and we left with our kid.
hook13

Postby UnclePennybags on July 25th, 2019, 8:05 pm
I was about to get on Raging Bull yesterday when someone barfed on the Teal train coming into the station. After they hosed down the train, they let it run empty. I thought they did this so that it could air dry. However, after the next Red and Yellow trains came in and were unloaded, they were also sent out empty.

Does anyone know why the ride ops would send three successive trains empty if just one of them had been barfed on?
UnclePennybags

Postby got2havefun on July 25th, 2019, 9:37 pm
UnclePennybags wrote:I was about to get on Raging Bull yesterday when someone barfed on the Teal train coming into the station. After they hosed down the train, they let it run empty. I thought they did this so that it could air dry. However, after the next Red and Yellow trains came in and were unloaded, they were also sent out empty.

Does anyone know why the ride ops would send three successive trains empty if just one of them had been barfed on?

To go down fir guest illness.
got2havefun

Postby UnclePennybags on July 25th, 2019, 11:58 pm
got2havefun wrote:
UnclePennybags wrote:I was about to get on Raging Bull yesterday when someone barfed on the Teal train coming into the station. After they hosed down the train, they let it run empty. I thought they did this so that it could air dry. However, after the next Red and Yellow trains came in and were unloaded, they were also sent out empty.

To go down fir guest illness.

For guest illnesses, is there a set time period that applies to all rides, or is it different for each attraction? Also, why bother sending trains at all? Why not leave them parked on the track before continuing operations?
UnclePennybags

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum