Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby CoasterDave316 on November 14th, 2022, 11:50 pm
Revolution was open for the last few weekends, I saw it open when I was there on October 21st.
Go Bulls!
Dave - SFGAmWorld Webmaster
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby sfgamnthemoon on January 14th, 2023, 10:14 am
SFGAm is presenting at No Coaster Con '23 today at 2:10pm.
sfgamnthemoon

Postby CoasterRiderSC on January 15th, 2023, 5:46 pm
sfgamnthemoon wrote:SFGAm is presenting at No Coaster Con '23 today at 2:10pm.

What did our park say at No Coaster Con?? Did Six Flags in general say anything about the future?
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby sfgamnthemoon on January 15th, 2023, 5:58 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
sfgamnthemoon wrote:SFGAm is presenting at No Coaster Con '23 today at 2:10pm.

What did our park say at No Coaster Con?? Did Six Flags in general say anything about the future?

To recap 2022, the park recapped:
[*] DC Universe opening
[*] New Six Flags hill sign
[*] Carousel pond upgrade
[*] New slogan for cleanliness: "Work as a Team to Keep Great America Clean"
[*] 20 new umbrellas
[*] 68 new benches
[*] 1,200 new deck chairs
[*] Camp Cartoon shaded seating area (replacing the two rides at Bedrock)

This year, we are receiving:
[*] A Coca-Cola VIP lounge at Firehouse (Hometown Square, near GMH)
[*] Over 90 new benches
[*] New shade area in Southwest Territory.

Events:
[*] New events, including Mardi Gras Parade in June and ¡Viva la Fiesta! in August.
[*] Veterans Day Weekend will not be returning. Conversely, Taste of Six Flags: Party After Dark, Kids Boo Fest & Oktoberfest will return.
[*] Some events announced in September 2022 were removed a few weeks prior to NCC, including Six Flags Pride Month (assuming that Out in the Park is returning), National Roller Coaster Day and National Funnel Cake Day.
[*] To my understanding, Summer Vibes was not mentioned, though it is still listed on website.
[*] Apparently, Holiday in the Park was given the axe due to low attendance and cold weather.

Ride operations:
[*] Park was unsure about Sky Trek Tower's operation or American Eagle running both sides.
[*] Both Aquaman (Yankee) and Logger's will run together this year.

Renovations:
[*] Big Lou's will re-operate
[*] A new bar will open in Orleans Place
[*] Food Truck returns
[*] Mooseburger received a remodel, including a smoker.
[*] Dole soft serve is returning with new flavors monthly

...and that's all. Our sister park SFOG is receiving their single rail kiddie coaster (similar to the one at Fiesta Texas). Oh yeah, Park President John Krajnak is now park president of SFSTL. I was not at NCC, I am basing this off what I saw on Twitter and Facebook.
sfgamnthemoon

Postby RobSFGAm on January 25th, 2023, 9:13 pm
The 2023 calendar is starting to get populated on their site through June:
https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/plan-your-visit/park-hours

Opening day is April 22, 2023
10:30 am to 8 PM
RobSFGAm

Postby Coaster Justin on January 26th, 2023, 12:05 pm
Kinetic will be replaced with...

Kinetic 2.0

Also Buccaneer Battle will stay about the same
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby HCF on February 6th, 2023, 5:20 pm
At this point I think it's time to just accept that Sky Trek is never going to reopen
Some time, on way to successful, first of steps of all of the steps to being successful steps are hardest of all of the steps to successing.
HCF

Postby RobSFGAm on February 10th, 2023, 9:50 am
Yes, Sky Trek Tower is really just a flag pole now. Cheaper to leave it up and not working, then pay to have it removed I guess. Plus with it being the tallest ride in the park, I think they want to keep it there as the parks since it is the first thing people see from miles away.
RobSFGAm

Postby CoasterRiderSC on February 11th, 2023, 3:10 pm
RobSFGAm wrote:Yes, Sky Trek Tower is really just a flag pole now. Cheaper to leave it up and not working, then pay to have it removed I guess. Plus with it being the tallest ride in the park, I think they want to keep it there as the parks since it is the first thing people see from miles away.

Could it be converted into a gyro drop??
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby RobSFGAm on February 11th, 2023, 9:33 pm
Biggest issue is that it is a 40+ year old ride and not sure what the condition of it is.
They could probably convert it to a couple different things, just do not know how much they want to invest in converting an aged core
RobSFGAm

Postby Coaster Justin on February 12th, 2023, 8:54 pm
How about convert it to this?

Coaster Justin

Postby Coaster Justin on March 18th, 2023, 1:10 am
According to the Six Flags Wiki, SFGAm will replace Sidewalk Sodas with a Bubble Tea Stand.

Nice to see that place being used again. Wonder if it will be a snack?

Coaster Justin

Postby staticshadows on March 25th, 2023, 11:34 am
There was an excavator parked behind the Washington St. entrance gate yesterday.

The Park President is giving a presentation to the village board on Monday, video will probably be available on Youtube later in the week.

https://www.gurnee.il.us/docs/default-source/default-document-library/vb-cow-3-27-23.pdf?sfvrsn=7a8c48b1_0

1. Lake County, Illinois Convention & Visitors Bureau and “Big Three” report on tourism,
business developments and upcoming season operations:
• Maureen Riedy – President, Visit Lake County
• Randy Ebertowski – General Manager, Gurnee Mills
• John Krajnak – Park President, Six Flags Great America
• Jim Franz – Director of Human Resources, Great Wolf Lodge Illinois
staticshadows

Postby Coaster Justin on March 25th, 2023, 1:29 pm
It kinda feels dirty that Six Flags America is adding a bigger addition than SFGAm, SFMM, and SFGAdv

I'm not ungrateful... Wait I am Ungrateful

Coaster Justin

Postby sfgamnthemoon on March 25th, 2023, 1:55 pm
staticshadows wrote:There was an excavator parked behind the Washington St. entrance gate yesterday.

The Park President is giving a presentation to the village board on Monday, video will probably be available on Youtube later in the week.

https://www.gurnee.il.us/docs/default-source/default-document-library/vb-cow-3-27-23.pdf?sfvrsn=7a8c48b1_0

1. Lake County, Illinois Convention & Visitors Bureau and “Big Three” report on tourism,

Interesting. Could this be a hint for a new attraction? because at this point we need a miracle for that - there's only four permits publicly available through Gurnee's ARCGIS map: restroom repair near GMH, steel awning repair on JB's bar, Big Lou's renovation + a permit for demolition of the buildings in DC Universe, though, that was last year.
sfgamnthemoon

Postby LuigiU2 on March 26th, 2023, 2:59 am
Anyone get that E-mail that SF sent out to anyone with the old diamond memberships? Pretty sure it had stuff about scream break with it as well.
LuigiU2

Postby Goku1910 on March 27th, 2023, 11:13 pm
LuigiU2 wrote:Anyone get that E-mail that SF sent out to anyone with the old diamond memberships? Pretty sure it had stuff about scream break with it as well.

Yes, and this doesn't mean much for us since SFGAm isn't on the list of participating parks. Just F us, I guess.....

sfgamnthemoon wrote:
staticshadows wrote:There was an excavator parked behind the Washington St. entrance gate yesterday.

Interesting. Could this be a hint for a new attraction? because at this point we need a miracle for that - there's only four permits publicly available through Gurnee's ARCGIS map: restroom repair near GMH, steel awning repair on JB's bar, Big Lou's renovation + a permit for demolition of the buildings in DC Universe, though, that was last year.

I wouldn't get your hopes up, the Agenda doesn't give any hints to the sort when it says "Report on tourism, business development, and upcoming season operations." This most likely means they will talk about last year's performance, what their plans are this year, etc.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby sfgamnthemoon on March 28th, 2023, 11:18 am
Took this from village board live stream
Attachments
IMG_9672.jpeg
sfgamnthemoon

Postby Agent on March 28th, 2023, 8:02 pm
On top of the above:
  • Nightly parades will be back.
  • Trudy's Sweet Shoppe in Hometown Square is getting redone and renamed 'Coaster Candy' (RIP Marriott-era remnant of the Opera House Sweet Shoppe) which has apparently worked well in other parks.
  • New biergarten in Southwest Territory, in the open space next to Chubasco.
  • Bubble tea stand coming into a 'vacated' location in Hometown Square (next to the Hometown Fun Machine? Maybe in the area of the old Marriott "Hot Shoppe" which is used for storage?).
  • Events are subject to change. Potentially by Wednesday or next Wednesday the event calendar might already be different so the current calendar isn't definitive. Viva la Fiesta is being sponsored in part by Univision though so that probably isn't going away.
  • Holiday in the Park might return. Krajnak said that they're looking into doing what Six Flags Over Georgia did and getting a third-party vendor to set up displays. They might open the front of the park too for guests to shop and get hot chocolate, etc., but that's all in preliminary talks still and the group who did the setup for SFOG is a bit hesitant to come up north and do it here as they're based in Arizona.

Krajnak said that attendance was down but thanks to price raises and "aggressive cuts", the bottom line was up so 2022 was a success in their books. Oktoberfest was also a smash hit last year which prompted a redo of the Mooseburger patio to accommodate it better.

Link to YouTube stream of Gurnee town meeting: https://youtu.be/hvPt5O-jzKQ
Agent

Postby Goku1910 on March 28th, 2023, 8:11 pm
Agent wrote:On top of the above:
  • Trudy's Sweet Shoppe in Hometown Square is getting redone and renamed 'Coaster Candy' (RIP Marriott-era remnant of the Opera House Sweet Shoppe) which has apparently worked well in other parks.

Good to see we keep neutering our park's history. The "remodel" of Carousel Gifts for Maxx Force to me was a total miss and I hate what it has become.
Goku1910

Postby Coaster Justin on March 29th, 2023, 11:31 am
Goku1910 wrote:
Agent wrote:On top of the above:

Good to see we keep neutering our park's history. The "remodel" of Carousel Gifts for Maxx Force to me was a total miss and I hate what it has become.

I don't know, Between remodeling Hometown Square for IgNite and the Entrance have been perfect updates... Pre-April Fools!

Coaster Justin

Postby Coaster Justin on March 29th, 2023, 11:49 am
Sorry to Double Post But I'd be fine if Holiday in the Park was just: Carousel Plaza, Hometown Square and Orleans Place.

Have 1-2 Indoor Shows at Grand Music Hall, The Train Going, Dark Knight, Carousel, Bumper Cars, and maybe a walkthrough in Hurricane Harbor?

Coaster Justin

Postby staticshadows on March 29th, 2023, 12:46 pm
Buccaneer Battle and Dare Devil Dive are missing from the rides list.

https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/things-to-do/all-rides
staticshadows

Postby sfgamnthemoon on March 29th, 2023, 12:54 pm
2 new permits just appeared on the Gurnee permit ARCGIS map:

- Exterior bar addition to Chubasco's Mission building
- Antoine's Ice Cream in Orleans Place gets an interior remodel
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 12.53.32 PM.png
Antoine's permit
Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 12.53.25 PM.png
Chubasco permit
sfgamnthemoon