Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Official Goliath Thread

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby gottastrata33 on August 31st, 2013, 5:38 pm
Haven't been on here since the announcement ceremony, read every page so I'm gonna try to touch bases with either whats been discussed & whatnot so I apologize if something(s) is/has been repeated by me from others. As for my opinion of the coaster:

Epic. Sexy. Incredible for our park. As we all know, it was a long what...7years until we got XFlight for us to be placed back on the map. I know many of you don't think XF did this for us, but it did. It was only one of two in the US at the time & many came from all over to try it. But now this just two years after XFlight?! Damn!! Hank mentioned the park has never put in a ride with three world records (I scratched my head cause I thought Shockwave was the tallest fastest & most loops in 1988) so this is very exciting for us! It truly is a beautiful coaster, it looks incredible & I am very happy I have always had faith in our park cause this is really gonna get us attention. Just look how much attention we have already & it hasn't even gone up yet.

The only thing I was "in shock" about was watchin it hit the brakes when it does. But the more I look at it, the more I really dont care. I don't want to have any negatives towards this ride because I truly cant...I mean are you lookin at it?! Its beautiful!! ;D & not to mention, as many have said, every RMC is short. Yes we will be the shortest but it will pack not just a punch but a few punches. No one complains about TTD becuase it handles simplicity quite effing well just as this does! ;D

From the start of the drop of each RMC coaster, the ride time is as follows(approx):

Texas Giant - 1:04
Iron Rattler - 46sec
Outlaw Run - 42sec
Goliath(animation) - 33sec

As for seat belts, yes. T. K already answered that, we asked this question together. I got answers from two people & they said right now they don't know, but they said yes at the same time along with "we always have seat belts, why wouldn't we" & we discussed how every ride should have them. So there's that.

Hank & a couple others including Brandon said to come back for media day. So I'm unsure what we need in order to attend but everyone there is supposedly already invited haha. They also discussed they're still planning when it will open & if they will have days as they did with XF meaning media day, season pass holder day, & public opening dates. So those dates or events are unsure at this point obviously.

Again, this ride is wonderful to our lineup. The inverted camleback hill stall shindig element thing is my fav part & I cannot wait for that weirdness. I just hope we stop losing rides to gain rides. The land lock issue has been brought up so many times, I'm aware. but If I cannot stress it enough, lets take some tips from parks like Gronalund or SFOG. I don't want piled rides but there ARE ways to get around space ALWAYS. I feel like were going to be stuck at 13 coasters forever. Always gaining one while losing one especially when the two have nothing to do with the other. :(
I dream of the 400ft "Great American SkyScreamer". x
gottastrata33

Postby ilrider on August 31st, 2013, 7:46 pm
^It will be awesome! The ride animation does not always show accurate pacing, so I would not judge our ride time being shorter than OR's based on that. Goliath has a longer total track length. I guess it could be argued the higher speed of Goliath reduces the time, but I think Goliath's total ride time will actually be several seconds longer than OR's.
ilrider

Postby Goliath72165 on August 31st, 2013, 7:48 pm
There is no question that Goliath will be the BEST ride at the park when it opens up next year! It will immediately become a fan favorite.
Goliath72165

Postby Goliath72165 on August 31st, 2013, 7:51 pm
I hope Goliath will feature an on-ride photo. I think it should either go at the bottom of the first drop or at the bottom of the dive loop.
Goliath72165

Postby Jerrykoala2112 on August 31st, 2013, 7:54 pm
Goliath72165 wrote:There is no question that Goliath will be the BEST ride at the park when it opens up next year! It will immediately become a fan favorite.

Something X-Flight failed to do.

But seriously, Goliath will be great. I'm not gonna leap ahead and say it'll be the best ride in the park, but it'll definitely be our most intense (modern!) coaster, X-Flight is fun, but not very intense. It seems as the theme parks in the United States are taking a breather for big additions next year. Besides Banshee, nothing 'major' has been announced so I can see why Goliath might be voted the best ride for next year :D
Jerrykoala2112

Postby CoasterMike on August 31st, 2013, 7:57 pm
Goliath72165 wrote:I hope Goliath will feature an on-ride photo. I think it should either go at the bottom of the first drop or at the bottom of the dive loop.

Gary Pohlman (Director of Maintenance/Construction) said that they are not sure if the ride will feature an on-ride camera at the announcement.
CoasterMike

Postby CoasterMike on August 31st, 2013, 7:59 pm
Jerrykoala2112 wrote:
Goliath72165 wrote:There is no question that Goliath will be the BEST ride at the park when it opens up next year! It will immediately become a fan favorite.

But seriously, Goliath will be great. I'm not gonna leap ahead and say it'll be the best ride in the park, but it'll definitely be our most intense (modern!) coaster, X-Flight is fun, but not very intense. It seems as the theme parks in the United States are taking a breather for big additions next year. Besides Banshee, nothing 'major' has been announced so I can see why Goliath might be voted the best ride for next year :D

This is off topic, but X Flight is VERY underrated! There seems to be ALOT of people who do not like X Flight.
CoasterMike

Postby Jerrykoala2112 on August 31st, 2013, 8:03 pm
CoasterMike wrote:
Jerrykoala2112 wrote:

This is off topic, but X Flight is VERY underrated! There seems to be ALOT of people who do not like X Flight.

X-Flight was a great addition to the park for what it replaced. A water ride not many people rode as well as an antique car ride that no one cared for anymore. (I really liked the antique cars, but the GP speaks for itself) X-Flight is visually appealing but doesn't seem to deliver an intense ride that we've been waiting a decade for. That all will change with the addition of Goliath.
Jerrykoala2112

Postby Goliath72165 on August 31st, 2013, 8:04 pm
I think the one and only complaint that people will have next year about Goliath is that the ride is/was to short. Other than that I think people will absolutely LOVE this ride and will want to go on it again and again.
Goliath72165

Postby CoasterMike on August 31st, 2013, 8:51 pm
Goliath72165 wrote:I think the one and only complaint that people will have next year about Goliath is that the ride is/was to short. Other than that I think people will absolutely LOVE this ride and will want to go on it again and again.

I agree with you however, a ride does not necessarily have to be long in order to be good.
CoasterMike

Postby AIRTIME72 on August 31st, 2013, 9:32 pm
Having never ridden an RMC yet, I was wondering how the airtime on Outlaw Run is. My only concern with Goliath(and it is a small concern) is if it will deliver any pops of air besides the one negative g float hill. The drop alone will be the worth the price of admission. Is it May yet?
AIRTIME72

Postby DeathbyDinn on August 31st, 2013, 10:14 pm
^ It probably won't be an airtime machine, but that's ok because we have Viper for that! Also, every moment of airtime on NTAG is strong airtime, even when the train is going slow, so I think the airtime this ride does have, will be great. The first drop in the back row should be especially amazing.
DeathbyDinn

Postby tribar on September 1st, 2013, 1:38 am
Fort Fun Fanatic wrote:Of the 2014 north america coasters announced thus far, goliath and KI's banshee will be the two big boys battling it out for best new coaster here in our corner of the world. I don't want to be too much of a homer, but I think Goliath would take it. Banshee looks like one hell of an awesome ride, but it also has a little bit of a "been there, done that" feel given how played out the b&m inverted category is. Goliath is more of an original beast. Novelty alone should push it over the top.

However, there may still be some big coasters yet to be announced. I don't keep up with all the rumors.

Carowinds could possibly be getting something big but otherwise besides Goliath and Banshee not much going on in the US. I could see Helix at Liesberg or the Wingrider at Heide Park competing for it as well
tribar

Postby gottastrata33 on September 1st, 2013, 1:44 am
I understand its a rendering when I compared ride times. That's why I put animation in parentheses cause we truly wont know till its all ridden & done now wont we ;)

F*** on-ride photo, this should be our first ride to get ON-RIDE VIDEO!
I dream of the 400ft "Great American SkyScreamer". x
gottastrata33

Postby bluebear816 on September 1st, 2013, 9:05 am
gottastrata33 wrote: Hank & a couple others including Brandon said to come back for media day. So I'm unsure what we need in order to attend but everyone there is supposedly already invited haha. They also discussed they're still planning when it will open & if they will have days as they did with XF meaning media day, season pass holder day, & public opening dates. So those dates or events are unsure at this point obviously. :(

What were the requirements for x-flight media day?
bluebear816

Postby CoasterMike on September 1st, 2013, 10:47 am
gottastrata33 wrote:I understand its a rendering when I compared ride times. That's why I put animation in parentheses cause we truly wont know till its all ridden & done now wont we ;)

I think an on-ride video would be AWESOME!
CoasterMike

Postby Goliath72165 on September 1st, 2013, 11:53 am
CoasterMike wrote:
gottastrata33 wrote:I understand its a rendering when I compared ride times. That's why I put animation in parentheses cause we truly wont know till its all ridden & done now wont we ;)

I think an on-ride video would be AWESOME!

If Goliath featured an on-ride video, that would make Goliath even more awesome!
Goliath72165

Postby Goliath72165 on September 1st, 2013, 11:55 am
I also hope Goliath will have more/better theming to it than all the other Goliath rides at the Six Flags parks.
Goliath72165

Postby CoasterMike on September 1st, 2013, 11:58 am
Goliath72165 wrote:I also hope Goliath will have more/better theming to it than all the other Goliath rides at the Six Flags parks.

I couldn't agree more. Most if not all the Goliath rides at the Six Flags parks have little no theming at all. Hopefully our Goliath has the most/best theming to it.
CoasterMike

Postby tribar on September 1st, 2013, 1:36 pm
I think SFMM's is the only one with any sort of theming
tribar

Postby DeathbyDinn on September 1st, 2013, 2:03 pm
I doubt there will be any real theming besides the station. Maybe some special effects though, like lights and mist in the tunnel, or music on the lift and brake run like X flight.
DeathbyDinn

Postby kossdude1 on September 1st, 2013, 2:07 pm
DeathbyDinn wrote:I doubt there will be any real theming besides the station. Maybe some special effects though, like lights and mist in the tunnel, or music on the lift and brake run like X flight.

Gary Pohlman said something like a themed portal at the entrance to the queue line.
kossdude1

Postby DejaVu2001 on September 1st, 2013, 3:47 pm
kossdude1 wrote:Gary Pohlman said something like a themed portal at the entrance to the queue line.

I believe that is Six Flags term for a sign :lol:
DejaVu2001

Postby kossdude1 on September 1st, 2013, 4:11 pm
It would kind of make sense to put the sign on the front of the station like IWs was
kossdude1

Postby CoasterMike on September 1st, 2013, 5:21 pm
I just re-watched the simulation for Goliath and it seems like you will be hanging upside down in the inverted zero-g stall for about 4 seconds :shock:! I know it will probably be different in real life but still, that's going to seem like a long time. It will be even more INTENSE due to the fact that you only have a lap bar keeping you in the train and not a OTSR.
CoasterMike

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum