Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Official Goliath Thread

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby DeathbyDinn on July 14th, 2015, 9:31 pm
^ Goliath at MMs problems go beyond the chain which is why it's been down so long. Iron Dragons chain snapped in June and took a little over a week to fix, Gatekeepers only took a few days. Depends on how bad it was and what the park has in stock.
DeathbyDinn

Postby DejaVu2001 on July 14th, 2015, 9:36 pm
Nothing with the chain on our Goliath. However, the ride did have a bad day today. It didn't open until late afternoon, and went down for the night at 9:30.
DejaVu2001

Postby Banky on July 14th, 2015, 11:52 pm
when did it actually open? i gave up on it and left the park little after 5. when i got there in the morning the red train was stopped half way up lift. around 2pm saw the red train finish going up the lift and complete the circuit but ride didn't open up and saw no other test runs while i was at the park.
Banky

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 15th, 2015, 9:13 pm
The excess queue has been reduced to only 1 switchback(to the train exit and back), and is solely used for the Single Rider Line.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby CD5 on July 19th, 2015, 9:28 am
Yesterday, single riders were being lined at the flash pass entrance while they waited for the flash pass attendant to retrieve the three lanyards allocated for single riders. The FP attendant did not appear to have any idea when the three lanyards had been "used," so the wait was probably longer than it should have been. I completely understand and support limiting the number of single riders, but three seems a little extreme. This wasn't the setup when I visited last month. Still, it beat the 90-minute standby wait.
CD5

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 19th, 2015, 12:57 pm
Yeah, the single rider line is terrible. When I asked the attendant why it's taking so long, she gave an answer for exactly what the crackdown includes. They're grouping multiple odd-numbered groups together. She also said something about not having as many lanyards as they had before. I was going to keep questioning, but I didn't want to get ejected from the park(not that I would have), and I just got fed up with the totally bogus system.

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby CoasterCale on July 19th, 2015, 4:45 pm
I don't think that would call for ejection, maybe a stern talking to. :lol: Anyways they are denying groups and only letting true SRs go up. I waited 3 minutes yesterday. It worked great with the crackdown. Finally, the overflow was being used for the standby line, so there's that. :roll:
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Postby CoasterMike on July 21st, 2015, 12:08 am
I'm sure the Goliath crew knows/can tell who is a TRUE single rider and who is not. Last time I was there, a group of thee boys used the single rider line. They were right behind me in line. They were given their lanyards and they proceded up into the station. As they got up there about 5 minutes later, the person who handed out the lanyards figured out that those kids were a group and she told them they had to go back and wait in the regular line, which was about 90-120 minutes long.
CoasterMike

Postby FParker185 on July 21st, 2015, 11:36 pm
Technically all single riders are single riders, what's the big deal if a group of 20 goes into a single rider queue? As long as everyone in that group knows that they will ride single, and are fine with that, there is no problem. I don;'t get the concept here on this board of people cheating the single rider line, it's impossible to do, grouper will put single riders where they need to go
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby Foltzy on July 22nd, 2015, 11:09 am
I agree
You lose the ability to sit together, but you have the reward of a shorter wait.
I don't see why groups can't use it. If they're okay with splitting up they should be allowed for the shorter wait.
Foltzy

Postby CoasterCale on July 23rd, 2015, 7:04 am
Groups wouldn't be a big deal is virtually any other chain. But it's because of the way it's run.

CoasterCale

Postby Tardis1972 on July 23rd, 2015, 10:33 pm
Sorry this off topic a liftle, but the google earth view of the park has finally changed from the 2012 season to this season, meaning Goliath can finally be viewed on goolge earth.
Tardis1972

Postby RollingCoasting on August 7th, 2015, 12:46 pm
Well, Goliath will no longer be the world's fastest wooden coaster next year:

http://www.dollywood.com/themepark/rides/LightningRod
RollingCoasting

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on August 7th, 2015, 12:55 pm
And by technicality, it won't be the steepest. But for marketing sake, those records will now be:

Steepest complete-circuit wooden coaster

Fastest traditional wooden coaster.

You're welcome Six Flags

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby BabyDinosaur on August 8th, 2015, 10:41 am
RollingCoasting wrote:Well, Goliath will no longer be the world's fastest wooden coaster next year:

As much as I enjoy seeing our park get recognition, I think that It fits Lightning Rod better and not only that but from the trailer I'm pretty sure that it's going to be one hell of a ride. I wasn't expecting Goliath to keep its records anyway, But Goliath will still be a great addition to our park and I hope to see a day where people get bored of it so the wait for the ride is about the same as the length of the ride. Short.
BabyDinosaur's Coaster Count: 36
BabyDinosaur

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on August 8th, 2015, 1:13 pm
^ Well V2 still has 75 minute waits, so don't get your hopes up.

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby RollingCoasting on August 8th, 2015, 1:16 pm
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:^ Well V2 still has 75 minute waits, so don't get your hopes up.

True, but it can only run one train. Not that operations would be different anyway. :lol:
RollingCoasting

Postby CoasterDemon on August 9th, 2015, 5:01 pm
BabyDinosaur wrote:
RollingCoasting wrote:Well, Goliath will no longer be the world's fastest wooden coaster next year:

As much as I enjoy seeing our park get recognition, I think that It fits Lightning Rod better and not only that but from the trailer I'm pretty sure that it's going to be one hell of a ride.

One could also add that it will have double the capacity :) Those senior ride ops at Dollywood rock! All that and super friendly to boot!
CoasterDemon

Postby JaminOut on August 29th, 2015, 11:13 am
I was at Mt. Olympus a couple days ago when I saw this:
Kinda reminds me of something...

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby CoasterCale on August 29th, 2015, 3:00 pm
I thought the same thing. But it's just different enough to not be the same.

CoasterCale

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on September 7th, 2015, 4:57 pm
According to an article the Tribune wrote, Goliath has an hourly rate of 450 pph.

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby TheRealTrush on September 8th, 2015, 1:28 pm
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:According to an article the Tribune wrote, Goliath has an hourly rate of 450 pph.

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. It's wait times are still awful, AND people don't listen to the attendants when they tell them to only fasten their seatbelt, but not to pull down the lap bar. And then there's the people that are too big that try to ride it. I mean I feel bad for the people that get asked to leave the ride but at the same time it makes me a little angry when it slows down the line for the rest of us.
SFGAm 2015 Visit Count: 25
TheRealTrush

Postby coasterrider2 on September 9th, 2015, 8:49 pm
450pph is not accurate. The theoretical capacity is around 800. The average hour is typically between 475-550. With a good crew, the average is between 575-625. With a determined crew, they can get upwards of 700-775, but that's pretty hard to keep maintained hour-by-hour. 800 is yet to be reached, but they've come very close. But to set 450 as the typical capacity would make it seem like they often get hours below that-which isn't true.
coasterrider2

Postby Jacklw6499 on September 13th, 2015, 12:55 pm
Goliath was named the 14th best wooden roller coaster in the world by Amusement Today in the 2015 Golden Ticket Awards! Congratulations to an awesome wooden coaster! Here is a link to all the winners: http://goldenticketawards.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/AT-GoldenTix-2015-LoRes.pdf
Favorite Coasters I've Ridden:
Steel: 1. Maverick 2. Steel Vengeance 3. X2 4. Storm Chaser 5. Twisted Colossus
Wood: 1. The Voyage 2. Renegade 3. Mystic Timbers 4. The Legend 5. The Beast
Great America: 1. Maxx Force 2. Goliath 3. Raging Bull 4. Batman: The Ride 5. X-Flight

Coaster Count: 118
Go Hawks!
Jacklw6499

Postby FParker185 on September 13th, 2015, 7:31 pm
gotta love Whizzer still making the top 50 list annually.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum